Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If I loved Devil Survivor, should I get SMT 4? I've heard it's brutal.

Yes. You'll be very familiar with the battle and fusing concepts. Just remember to abuse the extra turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No
Sep 13, 2006

If I really really liked Persona 4, would I like Shin Megami Tensei 4? Persona 4 is the only Persona game I've ever played and I get the idea that they're part of the same universe sort of? I don't really understand the "relationship" between Persona and SMT.

I want all the games but I don't have all the money. :(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The easiest way to describe their relationship is that SMT deals with the relationships between Humans and Demons and the Persona series deals with the relationship between Humans and Humans with demons to represent the hidden parts of their hearts.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No posted:

If I really really liked Persona 4, would I like Shin Megami Tensei 4? Persona 4 is the only Persona game I've ever played and I get the idea that they're part of the same universe sort of? I don't really understand the "relationship" between Persona and SMT.

I want all the games but I don't have all the money. :(
The mechanics share a lot of similarities, demon fusion, hard elemental weaknesses/resistances, all that. All of the life simulator and big JRPG story stuff are Persona things, though. Mainline SMT games are straight up dungeon crawlers. When you played Persona if you found yourself thinking you wanted less narrative and more of an emphasis on combat and building up demons, SMT4 is the game for you.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

As someone brand new to the SMT series, I picked up SMTIV and tried it out. I just couldn't get into it. It was kind of tedious, and didn't grab my interest enough to really get into it. I was impressed by the art/graphics and music, but I think I'm more of a classic RPG kind of guy. I like games with solid story elements and a cast of characters in my party who all have backstories, can be leveled up, etc. I like Fire Emblem Awakening as a tactical RPG, and I have some RPGs for DS like Radiant Historia and FFIV, but what other good RPG games are out there for 3DS? Tales of the Abyss looks ok. Bravely Default looks like it could be good. Any opinions? I don't think I'd be into Etrian Odyssey.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

jototo posted:

As someone brand new to the SMT series, I picked up SMTIV and tried it out. I just couldn't get into it. It was kind of tedious, and didn't grab my interest enough to really get into it. I was impressed by the art/graphics and music, but I think I'm more of a classic RPG kind of guy. I like games with solid story elements and a cast of characters in my party who all have backstories, can be leveled up, etc. I like Fire Emblem Awakening as a tactical RPG, and I have some RPGs for DS like Radiant Historia and FFIV, but what other good RPG games are out there for 3DS? Tales of the Abyss looks ok. Bravely Default looks like it could be good. Any opinions? I don't think I'd be into Etrian Odyssey.

Concerning Tales of the Abyss, I'd say it depends on how much you like old-school JRPG plots and how much of a perfectionist you are.

While the writing is surprisingly good, it still boils down to the same old save-the-world plot, complete with a shitload of techno-babble, so if you don't completely buy into it, you're likely going to get turned off.
Another problem I had with the game is that the sidequests are really obtuse; you definitely need a guide or you're going to miss a good amount of items and additional plot.
After a third of the way I had enough and just started reading the LP that's currently running.

On the other hand, the Tales real time combat system is still good, the characters are well done with enjoyable dialogue and if you're into the plot, then it should easily last you a while until you get to the end.

No
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah, I loved the story & characters of Persona 4. I also liked the battle system and the demon fusion but the dungeons themselves left a lot to be desired. Might pass on SMT4 but thanks to those who answered!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If I loved Devil Survivor, should I get SMT 4? I've heard it's brutal.

Yes definitely, and no it's not brutal, since you've played Devil Survivor. You've got the brutal part down.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

No posted:

Yeah, I loved the story & characters of Persona 4. I also liked the battle system and the demon fusion but the dungeons themselves left a lot to be desired. Might pass on SMT4 but thanks to those who answered!

There's a bit more intricacy to the dungeons in SMT4 than the plain ones you just kind of walked around in P3/P4, but generally the dungeons aren't what you're really diving into those games for.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

enojy posted:

Yes definitely, and no it's not brutal, since you've played Devil Survivor. You've got the brutal part down.

Can you cheese SMTIV like you could DS though? Like, focusing on magic and giving the MC Holy Dance and Drain made most of the second part of the game a joke.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Got Target to price match the 7.99$ for Paper Mario. I've heard mixed things, but for eight bucks, what the hell.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

jototo posted:

I think you and I have a widely different idea of what a "classic RPG" is. Classic RPGs to me are more in the way of the original Dragon Quests, Wizardry, and Ultima, where character customization is pretty diverse but backstory per character isn't relevant. You seem to be describing classic RPGs as SNES-era and PSX-era games where characters have a backstory and party-building and character customization is more limited.

The best way I can compare SMT games to Persona games to anybody would probably be: "Persona is to Final Fantasy as Shin Megami Tensei is to Dragon Quest."

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Mercury Crusader posted:

The best way I can compare SMT games to Persona games to anybody would probably be: "Persona is to Final Fantasy as Shin Megami Tensei is to Dragon Quest."

I ordered SMTIV yesterday and you made me not regret my purchase. I thoroughly enjoyed Dragon Quest V on DS for what seems like the same reasons people enjoy SMTIV.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

esperantinc posted:

Got Target to price match the 7.99$ for Paper Mario. I've heard mixed things, but for eight bucks, what the hell.

Please tell me how you did this. When I went to Best Buy dot com, it said "in store pickup only" and all the stores near me are sold out. Did you just bring a print out? A salespaper? How'd you make this happen my friend? For $8 I'll try this game!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Please tell me how you did this. When I went to Best Buy dot com, it said "in store pickup only" and all the stores near me are sold out. Did you just bring a print out? A salespaper? How'd you make this happen my friend? For $8 I'll try this game!

Just tell them at Target that's it's on sale at Best Buy and you'd like a price match. They'll look it up online. One time they had me look it up on my iPhone to show them which is pretty hilarious considering I could have just shown them a fake page.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Spectacle Rock posted:

Yeah, I just went to electronics, showed them the listing on my phone, and the guy grabbed the game and walked me up to customer service. CS then proceeded to look up the listing on their own device, and I got the match. I think the official policy is that it has to be in stock, but the lady I dealt with didn't bother with that, so YMMV.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Ya when I got Mario kart price matched with Amazon at target they had an iPad and just looked up Amazon on their own. For some reason Best buy doesn't have something like this and I had to show the guy the price of something on my phone to get them to price match.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just tell them at Target that's it's on sale at Best Buy and you'd like a price match. They'll look it up online. One time they had me look it up on my iPhone to show them which is pretty hilarious considering I could have just shown them a fake page.
poo poo, I got the Civ 5 expansion pack like this at Wal Mart. There was some really sleazebag Russian site that was selling BNW keys for a buck and the cashier was like "yeah sure we'll match $1!"

Though in retrospect, it's probably lucky that I didn't pick up something nasty on my phone navigating to that page.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

The White Dragon posted:

poo poo, I got the Civ 5 expansion pack like this at Wal Mart. There was some really sleazebag Russian site that was selling BNW keys for a buck and the cashier was like "yeah sure we'll match $1!"

Though in retrospect, it's probably lucky that I didn't pick up something nasty on my phone navigating to that page.

That's hilarious and I'm tempted to try it myself.

Target had an iPad right there and still had me look it up on my phone. Weird.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The target I visited required a physical ad. Oh well, saved ten bucks.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow225 posted:

The target I visited required a physical ad. Oh well, saved ten bucks.

You were lied to.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The people behind Iron Fall, a third-person shooter, have released a tech demo video with swanky tech specs. Looks pretty impressive, especially with the lackluster 3DS. Release sometime next spring.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Rexroom posted:

The people behind Iron Fall, a third-person shooter, have released a tech demo video with swanky tech specs. Looks pretty impressive, especially with the lackluster 3DS. Release sometime next spring.

Can't tell if it's the way the video was recorded or not, but the FPS noticeably dropped from 60 at several points. Still very impressive, though I wonder what it looks like in 3D. It seems a lot of third party developers have trouble hitting that 'sweet spot' for headache-free parallax viewing.

bacalou fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 3, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

bacalou posted:

Can't tell if it's the way the video was recorded or not, but the FPS noticeably dropped from 60 at several points. Still very impressive, though I wonder what it looks like in 3D. It seems a lot of third party developers have trouble hitting that 'sweet spot' for headache-free parallax viewing.

That's because of Youtube's less than stellar conversion. The 60fps version can be found on the actual site.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Prorat posted:

You were lied to.

Mine follows the same procedure.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Mine follows the same procedure.

It is not at all uncommon in chain stores for employees to be told completely different things on policies, even in the same store.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

notthegoatseguy posted:

It is not at all uncommon in chain stores for employees to be told completely different things on policies, even in the same store.

Yup. Target's price match policy is right here: https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/shop-with-confidence?ref=sr_shorturl_pricematch#q5386

quote:

What qualifies as proof of a price?

-For printed ads: please show us the entire printed advertisement. Photos, photocopies, or mobile phone versions (of the ad cannot be accepted as verification of a competitor’s printed ad.
-For online prices: please show us your mobile device or a printout from a qualifying competitor’s website or Target.com. A Target team member will then verify the match using a Target device.

So yeah, you guys are getting hosed.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
From Target's website

quote:

If you buy a qualifying item at a Target store then find the identical item for less in the following week’s Target weekly ad or within seven days at Target.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, BabiesRUs.com or in a competitor’s local printed ad, we’ll match the price. Price match may be requested at Guest Services prior to your purchase with proof of current lower price or by bringing in your original Target store receipt and proof of the current lower price.

I'm bummed I missed the $8 Paper Mario, but at least I know I can get amazon pricing on games now! Especially handy since they recently upped their free shipping minimum to $35, putting it just over the average 3DS game price. I'm slowly learning how to get decent deals on these things. Steam has spoiled the gently caress out of me.

Anyway, moving ahead, when does the Club Nintendo stuff update generally? It says that the games they have up expire today. I don't really want to spend my coins on Zelda, considering I own it several times over already. Though I hear it's been the most worthwhile offering we've had though, besides the physical stuff. Hmmmmm.

Quick edit acknowledging I was slow to post this :negative:

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
The $8 deal is no longer on the best buy website for sticker star, it is back to regular price :( I was going to go tomorrow and price match at Target, oh well...

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyway, moving ahead, when does the Club Nintendo stuff update generally? It says that the games they have up expire today. I don't really want to spend my coins on Zelda, considering I own it several times over already. Though I hear it's been the most worthwhile offering we've had though, besides the physical stuff. Hmmmmm.

I believe that the club Nintendo stuff updates around Noon PT. But it could be hours after that, such as the whole 3DS XL dock fiasco.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So apparently putting the 2DS at a nice round number like £99 was the magic trick for getting it to sell in the UK.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/2ds-enjoys-half-term-sales-spike/0123618

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh what the gently caress

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Spectacle Rock posted:

The $8 deal is no longer on the best buy website for sticker star, it is back to regular price :( I was going to go tomorrow and price match at Target, oh well...

Yeah, I found that out today. I was in Target to pick up some household stuff and figured I'd see if they were willing to price match. The guy there was totally willing. He even said he'd use anything I brought up on my phone as proof. Happily, I brought up the Best Buy website and the drat game was full price. So close, yet so far away~

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ZeeBoi posted:

Oh what the gently caress

Power down, pull it out, backup your Nintendo 3DS folder, chkdsk the SD card. Look for a 3193 KB file in the recovered files thing. If either title.db or import.db is missing from /Nintendo 3DS/hexblarg/morehexblarg/dbs, there you go. If neither are, try each and see. If not, worst case: you're no more screwed than now. Pop it back in anyway without formatting; sometimes magic happens.

From now on keep a regular backup of your entire Nintendo 3DS folder, and maybe you need a new SD card.

IF YOU DO: Sony's 32GB HDV SDHC and microSDHC cards are like 20 bucks at Amazon (from Amazon.com; unfortunately the flash memory section is filthy with counterfeiters even if they 'fulfill by Amazon') all the time, and have absurdly high reliability, R/W and IOPS. I have no idea why anyone buys anything else for something that takes SDHC or microSDHC.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 4, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The only problem I have with making regular backups of my SD card is that the slot that holds the SD card feels so incredibly cheap that I don't like opening it for fear I'm going to break it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The White Dragon posted:

I will note that I've had success pricematching Amazon at both Best Buy and Target for things, but depending on the cashier they might actually look at the "Fulfilled by:" section. If it's not actually fulfilled by Amazon, they're not actually supposed to pricematch it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
How did I not know a black 3DS XL finally came out? And it came out a few months ago, no less!

Did they improve the screens at all? Especially in regards to the top one having a yellow tint?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

How did I not know a black 3DS XL finally came out? And it came out a few months ago, no less!

Did they improve the screens at all? Especially in regards to the top one having a yellow tint?

It's a little clearer, but the 2DS screens are the real winners of the screen war. The real bet is on the Zelda 3DSXL.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I don't think the black 3DS XL featured any sort of revision. It came out like a week after I bought my XL, so I was quick to check and make sure.

Also, mine doesn't have a yellow tint! (Then again, as I said, I only got it like 4 months ago.) My top screen will get yellowish if I have power saving mode on, though. Check on that in brightness settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Psyker posted:

It's a little clearer, but the 2DS screens are the real winners of the screen war. The real bet is on the Zelda 3DSXL.

Wait, really? I thought they were slated to be almost akin to physical poo poo?

• Locked thread