Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzureRequiem posted:

Okay I'll hold off on Kingdom Hearts until my 3DS backlog dies down a bit more. One more question, however. I know the Circle Pad Pro works with KH3D, but does it actually improve anything?

It's nice to have the extra stick for camera control but not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So my wife loves mario and platformers and stuff and she has played neither Super Mario Land 2 nor Warioland 2. Which one is more fun?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Philosopher King posted:

So my wife loves mario and platformers and stuff and she has played neither Super Mario Land 2 nor Warioland 2. Which one is more fun?
Mario, most likely. Feels like a black & white cousin to Super Mario World.
Warioland games have some weird concepts that I never really got used to. They're more like puzzle platformers IMO.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Philosopher King posted:

Mario Land 2 is fun and straightforward, Wario Land 2 is a bit more complicated but is also pretty much the best game on the Game Boy. If she likes exploring and solving puzzles and replaying the game to find branching paths/treasures/etc go for Wario, but if she just wants to run through levels and jump on things go with Mario.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Got Triple Deluxe and Bravely Default during the Best Buy sale, holy poo poo Kirby is so good

Is there a way to unlock more copy powers for Kirby Fighters? I wanna tear poo poo up as the Spearmaster.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Scrap Dragon posted:

Got Triple Deluxe and Bravely Default during the Best Buy sale, holy poo poo Kirby is so good

Is there a way to unlock more copy powers for Kirby Fighters? I wanna tear poo poo up as the Spearmaster.

Nope unfortunately.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can buy Kirby Fighters Z, coming to the eshop later this year

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

homeless snail posted:

You can buy Kirby Fighters Z, coming to the eshop later this year

That's still only the same 10 powers except I think they're adding Beetle and Circus if you have Triple Deluxe Streetpass data. Though I'm not completely sure.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bell and Beetle.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Crawfish posted:

Bell and Beetle.

Right, I knew beetle for sure but wasn't positive on the other.

I'm glad it was Bell and not Circus.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

For someone who's never owned a (non handheld) console, are there any must-have VC games on the eShop that I would have missed out on and will still hold up for a first play-through now?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If they added GBA games then yes :argh:

Although Super Mario 2 on the original gameboy was excellent. Try that if you don't need your games to be colourful.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I didn't really have that much of a problem with the whole Drop nonsense in KH3D, although I did hear about it beforehand so I was somewhat prepared for it. I'm infinitely more pissed about the ridiculously tedious way you get new abilities from the not-Pokemon: on average, you need several thousand LP to max out their Link Board, which is where you get all the commands and passive abilities.

The problem with this is the fact that LP are retardedly hard to come by naturally: any enemy, regardless of size and strenght, only gives you 1 LP when killed and you're supposed to waste your time and all your Munny on not-Pokemon food and minigame items to get them sufficient amount of LP to max them out. The food also randomly gets eaten by one of the 3 active not-Pokemon, meaning you can't give it to whoever you want unless you take the other 2 out of party, and the minigames take around 30 seconds to complete even if you don't do anything, which is what you'll ultimately end up doing since there's not much of a difference when it comes to LP gotten from playing the games whether you actively try to play the drat things or not.

There's also the fact that you need to switch the not-Pokemons to all of their available Dispositions at least once to unlock their Link Board completely, which takes an additional 5-10 minutes per not-Pokemon to do and largely consists of poking at the drat things the right way until you get the right one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rage McDougal posted:

For someone who's never owned a (non handheld) console, are there any must-have VC games on the eShop that I would have missed out on and will still hold up for a first play-through now?

Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong '94, Wario Land 2, Mario Land 2, the list goes on!

Oh wait did you say non-handheld?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Given a choice I will always pick Mario Land 1 over 2. Fight me :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sinking belle posted:

Given a choice I will always pick Mario Land 1 over 2. Fight me :colbert:

Why fight you, you clearly love punishing yourself.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rage McDougal posted:

Pretty much all the NES games are good. Rayman is fun. Sonic Triple Trouble on the Gamegear is the peak of classic handheld Sonic (Labyrinth is awful and Blast is some stupid 3D game they did to tie in with Sonic 3D on consoles.) They also have Sonic 1 as a 3D classic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rage McDougal posted:

The only non-handheld console that's supported by 3DS VC is the NES, so I wonder how playable a lot of those games will be to someone who didn't play anything at all during that era. Super Mario Bros. 3 is a safe bet, but even relatively accessible stuff like Zelda and Punch-Out might seem a bit too old-school for some people, I dunno.

Dehry posted:

Pretty much all the NES games are good.

Nononononoooooooooooooo.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Zelda Link Between Worlds is on its way from eBay, but I have never finished Link to the Past. What's the best way to play this - SNES original or GBA remake?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Castlevania 3 is pretty good but also balls loving hard.

BadAstronaut posted:

Zelda Link Between Worlds is on its way from eBay, but I have never finished Link to the Past. What's the best way to play this - SNES original or GBA remake?
Like most GBA remakes, the GBA version is pretty much the same game but with worse sound quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BadAstronaut posted:

SNES so you don't hear Link screeching every time he swings his sword.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

SNES so you don't hear Link screeching every time he swings his sword.

I came here to post this. I was going to buy a GBA and LTTP years ago until I heard all the yelling. I thanked the heavens for allowing me to hear the yelling before I bought everything.

Go with the SNES version every time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fantasy Life has a PAL release date: September 26! Again, we're getting it a month earlier than NA for no particular reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Endorph posted:

Castlevania 3 is pretty good but also balls loving hard.

Like most GBA remakes, the GBA version is pretty much the same game but with worse sound quality.

Also having to hear "YA YA YA YA" every time you swing your sword, which pretty much made me put it down forever.
e: Glad to see that's what everyone else remembers most about it too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
On the other hand, GBA Link to the Past made the Ice Palace not terrible. Whether or not that's worth YA! YA! YA! YA! is up to the reader.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That does seem like kind of a dumb mechanic. There being an item to stave it off doesn't make it better so much as it makes you wonder why that mechanic is there in the first place if they thought you'd required that.

You also collect drop points as each character, and when you drop you are able to spend them on stat bonuses for the other character and free items/commands. It's not completely useless. It actually is beneficial to stay one character longer so you build up more points. Plus, when your drop meter is about to expire you go into bonus mode where every hit to an enemy drops bonus munny/points and you can exploit this by using a Drop-me-not just as it's about to expire. Anyway, the whole point of the mechanic is to make sure you are regularly switching between characters.

AzureRequiem posted:

Okay I'll hold off on Kingdom Hearts until my 3DS backlog dies down a bit more. One more question, however. I know the Circle Pad Pro works with KH3D, but does it actually improve anything?

The CPP lets you control the camera which is really nice. I kinda missed it when it upgraded to an XL and finished up my Critical run on it without the CPP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RyokoTK posted:

On the other hand, GBA Link to the Past made the Ice Palace not terrible. Whether or not that's worth YA! YA! YA! YA! is up to the reader.
If I could solve that puzzle as a 7 year old, I'm sure players in 2014 will be just fine.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

raditts posted:

Also having to hear "YA YA YA YA" every time you swing your sword, which pretty much made me put it down forever.
e: Glad to see that's what everyone else remembers most about it too.

I just recently finished the game for the first time ever and I played it using the DSTwo's GBA emulator, and I never even paid any attention to the shouting. I had to look up a Youtube to even see what you guys were talking about and yeah, it was definitely there but it never bothered me in the least.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

So we got four games from the sale--most were for my husband--but one was Mario Golf, which I was going to play.

Until we learned that there was only one safe file, and my husband wants to play with him as the main save file. Well poo poo.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Nate RFB posted:

If I could solve that puzzle as a 7 year old, I'm sure players in 2014 will be just fine.

Or just sequence break and come in after you get that rod that makes blocks. Iirc there's nothing about the ice palace that stops you from going to the swamp instead.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I liked the GBA things like Link yelling when he swings his sword and Yoshi grunting when he jumps. :shobon:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never had any problem with that stuff either. Link yelling is just a thing he does in all Zelda games at this point anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You also collect drop points as each character, and when you drop you are able to spend them on stat bonuses for the other character and free items/commands. It's not completely useless. It actually is beneficial to stay one character longer so you build up more points. Plus, when your drop meter is about to expire you go into bonus mode where every hit to an enemy drops bonus munny/points and you can exploit this by using a Drop-me-not just as it's about to expire. Anyway, the whole point of the mechanic is to make sure you are regularly switching between characters.

It still sounds like it'd be better if that mechanic didn't exist to be honest. Seems like it would be better to either do it like Birth by Sleep and just have you play through one character's story, then the other or else have predetermined switching points. Like every time you finished a level or something like that.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 24, 2014

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TenaciousJ posted:

Or just sequence break and come in after you get that rod that makes blocks. Iirc there's nothing about the ice palace that stops you from going to the swamp instead.

Unless there's something in the GBA version that's drastically different, you can pretty much just move to the next dungeon once you grab the main treasure. I recently did a play through on the SNES version where I killed the bosses in reverse order, starting with Turtle Rock :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, how did that Pokémon Link Battle whatever turn out? Supposedly, it's Nintendo's answer to the absurd popularity of Puzzle and Dragons. It's now on sale on the eShop (EU at least).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like Kingdom Hearts but it's been a long time since I played one-- I forgot there even WAS a 3DS game. I have the fondest memories of KH2, and I played Birth By Sleep to the completion of one character's storyline but never felt compelled to play through all over again. I'm not really interested in the story so as long as it isn't offensively bad, that's probably not a big pro or con for me -- is the 3DS game fun, though? I always enjoyed the battle system and all the skills and items to max out and collect in those games, and when the environment/enemy/character design was good, it was REALLY good. Is KH3D worth considering? The other 2 games I'm torn between picking up next are Rune Factory 4 and Monster Hunter, for what it's worth.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's not a bad game, but I liked Rune Factory 4 far more, for what it's worth.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks for reminding me that I can never play Rune Factory 4 because the dev croaked and loving region lock. :smith:

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Saoshyant posted:

So, how did that Pokémon Link Battle whatever turn out? Supposedly, it's Nintendo's answer to the absurd popularity of Puzzle and Dragons. It's now on sale on the eShop (EU at least).

It's fine, I guess? I picked it up and played it for a little while but didn't really feel compelled to commit too much time to it. Every now and then I'll play a stage and then switch to something else.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I can never play Rune Factory 4 because the dev croaked and loving region lock. :smith:

otoh, we might get smt4 sometime in the next 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

It's fun, I was addicted to it for a while. Obviously though how much you'll like it depends on how much you like Pokemon v:shobon:v

• Locked thread