Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I think the best indicator would be Sumia. If you're one of the people that groans audibly whenever Sumia shows up/thinks the game would be great if not for her, Rune Factory is not for you. If you either find her amusing or don't really care about her one way or another, you will probably not be bothered by the narcoleptic lady-butler in RF4. (Many people seem to hate her more than any other character in the game. Upside: In battle, she sometimes drops pancakes.)

Sumia, the girl who trips all the time in Fire Emblem Awakening, would probably be a closer comparison with Xiao Pai, the girl who trips all the time in Rune Factory 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Sumia, the girl who trips all the time in Fire Emblem Awakening, would probably be a closer comparison with Xiao Pai, the girl who trips all the time in Rune Factory 4.

This is a good point. I guess I just made the comparison based on the fact that Sumia and Clorica were the two characters I hear people complain about the most in these games.

Edit: I had mostly forgotten about Xiao Pai. I think I took her into battle once, said "that's dumb and you don't even give me pancakes," and pretty much ignored her thereafter.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If there are people actually interested in RF4 that don't own it, i'd suggest holding out for Fantasy Life.

It scratches a similar gaming itch and trades out the weird anime design for a more whimsical cartoonish one.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

majormonotone posted:

Rune Factory is really only slightly more anime than Awakening.

And like awakening, you can basically just zip through that stuff if you don't like it because it's not very interactive and it's not really that much of the game. Getting an anime girlfriend/boyfriend is important, but you can do it just by crafting/grabbing an item they like every day and talking to them, you don't have to make decisions or be good at anything.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Crawfish posted:

If there are people actually interested in RF4 that don't own it, i'd suggest holding out for Fantasy Life.

It scratches a similar gaming itch and trades out the weird anime design for a more whimsical cartoonish one.

This is what I was leaning towards doing. I prefer cartoon aesthetics to anime any day of the week, and Fantasy Life looks like exactly my kind of game!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It looks like a 3DS firmware update just went up. Any word on new stuff, other than stability and anti-hacking updates?

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

Not a Children posted:

It looks like a 3DS firmware update just went up. Any word on new stuff, other than stability and anti-hacking updates?

Appears to just be that.\

e:

Crawfish posted:

I'm a huge weeb so it sounds like Rune Factory is right up my alley!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

goferchan posted:

I like Kingdom Hearts but it's been a long time since I played one-- I forgot there even WAS a 3DS game. I have the fondest memories of KH2, and I played Birth By Sleep to the completion of one character's storyline but never felt compelled to play through all over again. I'm not really interested in the story so as long as it isn't offensively bad, that's probably not a big pro or con for me -- is the 3DS game fun, though? I always enjoyed the battle system and all the skills and items to max out and collect in those games, and when the environment/enemy/character design was good, it was REALLY good. Is KH3D worth considering? The other 2 games I'm torn between picking up next are Rune Factory 4 and Monster Hunter, for what it's worth.

Why did you only play 30% of Birth By Sleep? The other characters play completely differently, have different commands and in most cases unique area of each world to explore. Even ignoring the story, each character gives you a unique experience. But if that game can't hold your attention, being one of the best in the series, I doubt you'll like KH3D. It builds on BBS's battle system and is most certainly more like BBS than KHII.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

It is weird to play only one character's story in Birth By Sleep because all of them are completely different, even though they go to the same worlds (they usually go to completely different areas).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You could just play Terra and Ventus, since all you need to know about Aqua's story is 'She comes in to fix everyone else's screwups. And then gets stuck in the World of Darkness.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

You could just play Terra and Ventus, since all you need to know about Aqua's story is 'She comes in to fix everyone else's screwups. And then gets stuck in the World of Darkness.'

Aqua's the only remotely likable character in that game though, because she's the only one that isn't pants on head.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah Aqua's the game's Actual Main Character, Ventus and Terra are just some assholes whose problems she has to fix. She's the best drat character is the series.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think the next 3DS game that I buy will have to be one that I can play while drunk, because EO4 and Fire Emblem aren't doing the trick. Kid Icarus is really good, right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

goferchan posted:

I think the next 3DS game that I buy will have to be one that I can play while drunk, because EO4 and Fire Emblem aren't doing the trick. Kid Icarus is really good, right?

I think you're better off waiting for Smash Bros.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

I think you're better off waiting for Smash Bros.

That's a day-1 purchase for me, no question, but I'm sad to say I'll probably get drunk and want to play video games many, many times before that release date. Maybe Animal Crossing? I wasn't super hot on the idea but it might hit the spot as a "come home from work and gently caress around for a while before bed" game for me

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

goferchan posted:

Tomodachi Life is the ultimate drunk game. Hop on, observe your friend's Miis doing some weird rear end poo poo, feed all of them sardines, then stop playing after 20 or so minutes. It's good poo poo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

goferchan posted:

Do you wanna sell Fire Emblem? If so, PM me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am a terrible man child who buys way too many gadgets thinking they'll make me happy even though I know in my heart I will stop playing with them in a month. I saw my son playing Pokemon and remembered how much fun the original game was when I was a teen.

The past couple of months have seen me purchase too much poo poo already (including a 3DS for my son, a Wii U, and a PS4).

As a result I am making an attempt to purchase a 3DS XL using only money made selling poo poo I don't use anymore. I traded a Logitech Driving Force GT to Amazon for 75 dollars in credit. I can buy Gamestop gift cards on Amazon. GameStop has the Mario Luigi Dream Team XL 3DS for 179.99. Is that my best bet or is there another deal I can use Amazon bucks on that I am not tracking?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hekk posted:

I am a terrible man child who buys way too many gadgets thinking they'll make me happy even though I know in my heart I will stop playing with them in a month. I saw my son playing Pokemon and remembered how much fun the original game was when I was a teen.

The past couple of months have seen me purchase too much poo poo already (including a 3DS for my son, a Wii U, and a PS4).

As a result I am making an attempt to purchase a 3DS XL using only money made selling poo poo I don't use anymore. I traded a Logitech Driving Force GT to Amazon for 75 dollars in credit. I can buy Gamestop gift cards on Amazon. GameStop has the Mario Luigi Dream Team XL 3DS for 179.99. Is that my best bet or is there another deal I can use Amazon bucks on that I am not tracking?

That's a pretty good deal, especially if you want that game (and even if you don't,) it's $20 off and you get a unique 3DS XL out of it. The only better deal available right now is a refurbished one from Nintendo for $135, but the appreciator of one-off stuff in me would go for the Mario & Luigi Dream Team one. I think the lowest I've ever seen the 3DS XL go on sale for is $169.

Edit: speaking of $169, that same bundle is $169 at Best Buy, but maybe only until Saturday.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 25, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I share my 3DS games with my bro, except in cases where it makes sense to always have the game handy--eg: I bought Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi at retail, but I got Animal Crossing and Pokemon digitally so I can always pull them out for a short burst or special occasion--which does Rune Factory 4 fall under, and if I play it, will I be too burned out on the genre to play Fantasy Life when it comes out?

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

How many hours will it take to beat Bravely Default? Ive been wanting to get it since the Best Buy sale but well we all know how well that sale went. I'll prob just get it at Target or Walmart if its worth the money.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Steinuh posted:

How many hours will it take to beat Bravely Default? Ive been wanting to get it since the Best Buy sale but well we all know how well that sale went. I'll prob just get it at Target or Walmart if its worth the money.

A sound in the distance whispers from a gentle voice saying price match and it echoes onward forever.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

noirstronaut posted:

A sound in the distance whispers from a gentle voice saying price match and it echoes onward forever.

Price match a BOGO sale?
I know for a fact Walmart won't do those. Even if the Cashier doesn't give a poo poo the register will call a manager over if an item is pricematched to an abnormally low price or nothing at all.

Target might, not sure if they have the same register policies in place.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Price match a BOGO sale?
I know for a fact Walmart won't do those. Even if the Cashier doesn't give a poo poo the register will call a manager over if an item is pricematched to an abnormally low price or nothing at all.

Target might, not sure if they have the same register policies in place.

I think people were mentioning a few pages back being able to price match at Target successfully.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Steinuh posted:

HLTB says about 58 hours for the main story, or 88 if you're a completionist. According to my 3DS, I spent 109 hours on it. I figure that's probably because I spent a bunch of time maxing jobs, doing all the sidequests, and getting the true ending, while doing 99% of the game without looking at a guide. And I generally play games slowly. Either that, or it also counts the time the 3DS spent in sleep mode, because I kept the thing on all the time for town rebuilding purposes. It FELT more like a 58 hour game, for what it's worth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the other hand I finished everything, including the optional dungeon and boss, in under 40 so it's pretty YMMV, especially with the option to skip encounters (and the fact that Chapters 5-8 are a pile of awful that you'll want to skip huge chunks of, especially 5-6)

It's still a lot of bang for your buck though.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Argue posted:

I share my 3DS games with my bro, except in cases where it makes sense to always have the game handy--eg: I bought Fire Emblem and Mario & Luigi at retail, but I got Animal Crossing and Pokemon digitally so I can always pull them out for a short burst or special occasion--which does Rune Factory 4 fall under, and if I play it, will I be too burned out on the genre to play Fantasy Life when it comes out?

It depends on your playstyle, although I'd probably expect it to be more like Fire Emblem where you could in theory play for short bursts but in practice probably never will. That said, it is an RPG with some fairly sophisticated systems so if you put it down for six months you're going to forget how stuff works. If you enjoy RF4, I can't imagine you will have a problem with not wanting to play Fantasy Life at release.

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 25, 2014

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I think people were mentioning a few pages back being able to price match at Target successfully.

Your mileage may vary. I tried it at two targets and they told me that they don't price match promotions. I might just get Bravely Default at full price, sigh haha.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Steinuh posted:

You can blast through it on the order of 20-30 hours, because cutscenes are skippable, battles can be fast-forwarded, random encounters can be disabled, and a large part of the content is in optional sidequests. However, it really wants you to take your time with it, which will put it closer to 60-80.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

goferchan posted:

That's a day-1 purchase for me, no question, but I'm sad to say I'll probably get drunk and want to play video games many, many times before that release date. Maybe Animal Crossing? I wasn't super hot on the idea but it might hit the spot as a "come home from work and gently caress around for a while before bed" game for me

Streetpass games are good for "gently caress around for a while" games. I couldn't tell you how well they hold up while drunk, though.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

raditts posted:

Streetpass games are good for "gently caress around for a while" games. I couldn't tell you how well they hold up while drunk, though.

There's zero social aspect, so worse if anything. Mii Force is hard enough when sober. I imagine growing flowers and exploring haunted mansions would be trippier when high, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Do you wanna sell Fire Emblem? If so, PM me.

Thanks, but nah, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely enjoying it & plan on playing through it. It just doesn't fill that particular niche and I'd like to scoop up another game that does. Probably gonna see if Rune Factory 4 does the trick, even though I understand it's a pretty deep game it seems like I can also just gently caress around gathering/crafting/farming for a while and that would probably be perfect. When I say "play drunk" I'm not really talking about a social element nor am I talking, like, totally wasted -- I just want something I can kill an hour or two on when I get home from work at 2 or 3 AM and my brain's dead and I'm having a few beers.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 25, 2014

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

goferchan posted:

Thanks, but nah, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely enjoying it & plan on playing through it. It just doesn't fill that particular niche and I'd like to scoop up another game that does. Probably gonna see if Rune Factory 4 does the trick, even though I understand it's a pretty deep game it seems like I can also just gently caress around gathering/crafting/farming for a while and that would probably be perfect. When I say "play drunk" I'm not really talking about a social element nor am I talking, like, totally wasted -- I just want something I can kill an hour or two on when I get home from work at 2 or 3 AM and my brain's dead and I'm having a few beers.

It is a deep game but shouldn't be bad for this purpose at all. Water your plants, pet your chickens, run a dungeon, throw some vegetables to win a prize, date an elf/dwarf. Sounds like a good wind-down game to me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Looking to pick up a new SD card for my 3DS. Can I use a microSD with an SD adapter or will the 3DS not read that right?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I think you can? The 16GB one i'm using sounds exactly like what you've described.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

Looking to pick up a new SD card for my 3DS. Can I use a microSD with an SD adapter or will the 3DS not read that right?

Mine has never given me any issues. I have a micro 32gb Sandisk with multiple full games and eshop/VC titles.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Argue posted:

Worth noting there are multiple save slots (but only 3) in Rune Factory 4, so if it's a game your bro is interested in playing at all, maybe you should get a cart.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Awesome, thanks. I swung by the nearest Source but apparently they had a sale going on SD cards so I ended up leaving with a microSD, hence the question. Good to know I can use it. Heck, it's actually more convenient for me because I already have a microSD-to-USB adapter for my computer that doesn't have any SD slots on it.

Also while I was there I saw they had a copy of Kid Icarus up for sale as well for $25. The box had a couple of nicks on it but I bought it anyway, expecting it to be used. I opened it up during my commute though and it turns out it's brand spankin' new-- still in plastic wrap with a stand and everything! :buddy:

Now I just need to get new 3DS styluses because I lost mine.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nice. It's a fun ride if you can get over the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Aqua's the only remotely likable character in that game though, because she's the only one that isn't pants on head.

Yeah seriously, if you're gonna skip one make it Terra or Ven. While Terra is the most plot important he's also the least fun to play and by far the stupidest character in the series. Let that sink in for a second.

• Locked thread