Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

homeless snail posted:

If you're talking about Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, for sure. MHFU has it beat on content but mechanically 3U is the most refined and probably the best one in the series, lot of nice tweaks to the weapon movesets, better hitboxes, better controls, camera lockon, its really good.

Cool, I didn't get far enough in the game (for lack of the additions you describe) to even get spoiled on the content anyways; the structure of the game seemed great but it felt like it was missing some quality-of-life stuff. 3U sounds perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally going to give in and grab a 2DS - below a hundred bucks is a price point that's too tempting to resist.

It seems like all of the mario games are hovering around 30 bucks, which isn't a bad deal at all. Has there been any deals or bundles I should look for, or are the price points low enough that a deal is unlikely?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
That sale for Dual Destinies doesn't apply to the DLC case, does it? If it does my fiancée might actually be able to pick it up from the leftover eshop credit from when I got her the main game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Wild Knight posted:

That sale for Dual Destinies doesn't apply to the DLC case, does it? If it does my fiancée might actually be able to pick it up from the leftover eshop credit from when I got her the main game.

It does not.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
By the way, if anyone's buying stuff from the eshop it's worth knowing that your sales tax is calculated based on what ZIP code you provide in your profile (which you can easily change at any time) -- not based on the ZIP code on your credit card or anything like that. Doesn't seem like much if you're just picking up a $10 eshop game or whatever but if you're buying full retail games it can add up quickly and the money saved can mean a "free" game or DLC or whatever. California, for example, has no sales tax whatsoever on online purchases, and as far as I know there's no good reason not to tell Nintendo that you reside in good old Beverly Hills 90210.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Help me goons - I want to play a classis Mario game because I never really did manage to do that (except for SM64 which I spent way too much time on as a kid).
Which one would you recommend? Original SMB? SMB Deluxe? SMB3?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

goferchan posted:

By the way, if anyone's buying stuff from the eshop it's worth knowing that your sales tax is calculated based on what ZIP code you provide in your profile (which you can easily change at any time) -- not based on the ZIP code on your credit card or anything like that. Doesn't seem like much if you're just picking up a $10 eshop game or whatever but if you're buying full retail games it can add up quickly and the money saved can mean a "free" game or DLC or whatever. California, for example, has no sales tax whatsoever on online purchases, and as far as I know there's no good reason not to tell Nintendo that you reside in good old Beverly Hills 90210.
Holy poo poo this is good advice. I could have saved $0.67 on Resident Evil Revelations I bought today, I can see that poo poo adding up real quick.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ledenko posted:

Help me goons - I want to play a classis Mario game because I never really did manage to do that (except for SM64 which I spent way too much time on as a kid).

If you can only get one, make it SMB3, but SMB1/2 hold up pretty well, I think. Lost Levels is harder to recommend, as it's full of typical 80's bullshit, but I like it all the same.

Super Mario Land 1/2 for Game Boy aren't anything special, but that series morphed into Wario Land and those games are worth checking out.

SMB Deluxe is a Game Boy Color port of SMB1/Lost Levels with lots of cool extras but the viewing area makes it a pain in the arse to play, so it's kinda hard to recommend nowadays.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ledenko posted:

I generally like having OG SMB on hand personally, but SMB3 is probably the more enjoyable title for someone that just wants a taste of retro Mario.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ledenko posted:

Blowing my goddamn mind here. Never played classic Mario :psyduck: but then I realize that anyone born after 1990 may well not have had the chance.

A large part of me wants to say that you have to start with Original SMB because every single 2D Mario builds off of it, but in terms of holding up for a modern player SMB3 will probably be more interesting. The real answer, I suppose, is "both and also SMB2/US", because all three are an important part of Mario Literacy™ and all three of them had enormous influence on games which followed.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Blowing my goddamn mind here. Never played classic Mario :psyduck: but then I realize that anyone born after 1990 may well not have had the chance.

A large part of me wants to say that you have to start with Original SMB because every single 2D Mario builds off of it, but in terms of holding up for a modern player SMB3 will probably be more interesting. The real answer, I suppose, is "both and also SMB2/US", because all three are an important part of Mario Literacy™ and all three of them had enormous influence on games which followed.

I was born in 82, actually... The OG GameBoy was my first handheld and my first console was N64, I had some friends who had a NES but we never played them that much, guess it was a time when it was still more fun kicking a ball about.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I was bought up on DOS games and a PS1. I didn't even own a piece of Nintendo hardware until 2001-02. The Gamecube was my first Nintendo console, though I do have brief memories of playing SMB3 and Mario Kart 64 for a few hours at some point.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

A child of 1985 here, I grew up on DOS games but NESticle worked great emulating NES games way back in the late 90s so I played the Mario classics and many other NES games on my PC. My first and only piece of Nintendo hardware (or any gaming console) was the Game Boy Color, until I bought a cheap DSi XL last year and a 3DS XL a few months later.

Thanks for letting me share my story.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ledenko posted:

While SMB2US is my personal favourite of the Mario platformers it's not typical Mario at all but then again I'm not much of a fan of typical Mario. Skip SMB1, play SMB2US and SMB3.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x17E0PCsrns&pxtry=1

Half an hour till the Direct starts. It's gonna be 33 minutes long.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata's gonna be back for this one, from the looks of things.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Iwata's gonna be back for this one, from the looks of things.

Really? That's great :unsmith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

AW YEAH! IT'S SHULK!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Guns confirmed for Bravely Second. :toot:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I want to like Final Fantasy Explorers but it just looks so boring, like a bad version of FF12.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh, hey! Themes!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh my god, you can change the home menu.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo, updated XL!?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Uh what the gently caress was that? Did they just accidentally show a few seconds of footage of a new 3DS?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, hey! Another revision!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What the gently caress!! I need to buy this...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Christ, and I thought I'd never replace my LBTW XL. :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh wow, so it's The Thing People Said Nintendo Would Never Do but now it's real? 3DS with additional triggers and the Circle Pad Pro

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why doesn't the XL have the sickass colored Super Famicom buttons though? That looks really good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ughhh Nintendo you can't keep doing this to me. :retrogames:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was feeling really iffy about running the homebrew stuff on my 3DS so this news comes at a really dangerous time. Might just get a New XL for playing games and keep my old one around for homebrew and region unlocks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sounds like it's time to retire my old 3DS.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jesus, eyeball tracking to make the 3D work no matter how you hold it, that's a day one purchase.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh man Smash on this thing is gonna be even better than I expected. Also I wonder if we'll see patches that add support for the new stick to CPP compatible games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

Jesus, eyeball tracking to make the 3D work no matter how you hold it, that's a day one purchase.

Seriously, but this being a Japan only Direct has me worried they don't want to bring it over. :ohdear:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wireless file transfer between New 3DS and PC, Micro SD support, half hour more battery life and it's lighter than the original? Nice.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
What was the deal with the split screen comparing each screen? Was that an implication that they have better contrast on the 3DS revision?

∨∨ Ah, ok. Battery life. Got it.

Erata fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 29, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not liking the switch to MicroSD, those are way more expensive.

sinking belle posted:

Oh man Smash on this thing is gonna be even better than I expected. Also I wonder if we'll see patches that add support for the new stick to CPP compatible games.
It probably just presents itself as a CPP so every game that supports it is already compatible. They showed Monster Hunter, anyway, and that game comes out in Japan in like a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Erata posted:

What was the deal with the split screen comparing each screen? Was that an implication that they have better contrast on the 3DS revision?

I believe they were making the point that the New 3DS has a lower brightness option to increase Battery life.

• Locked thread