Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well one good thing going for this new model is that we should start hearing about new first party stuff in the next few directs.

Besides Monster Hunter 4 and maybe Xenoblade port, I honestly can't think of anything announced for western markets after Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Crossposting from the Smash Bros thread:

JordanKai posted:

So, this is interesting:

They're releasing a double pack for Smash Bros 3DS that includes two copies of a game at a discounted price. For all the lovebirds and best buds out there! :buddy:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/236167-smash-bros-3ds-europe-receiving-double-pack-two-copies-bundled-for-discounted-price

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Silver Falcon posted:

But seriously why wasn't this an international Direct?!

We're not getting the New 3DS' until next year so Nintendo probably didn't want to get us too excited so far out from NA/EU launch.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Silver Falcon posted:

But seriously why wasn't this an international Direct?!

Because they aren't releasing it here until next year. That's way, way far in the future.

I just saw the pics -- where's the power button? Also, what an awful placement for the second stick. They can't even say it's based on the Gamecube one as that one was properly placed where the thumb would reach easily.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Saoshyant posted:

I just saw the pics -- where's the power button? Also, what an awful placement for the second stick.

It's on the front, right next to the stylus.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Artix posted:

So do we actually have any images of the new 3DS model yet? At any rate, I'm definitely glad that I didn't upgrade to an XL yet, might as well just wait and get that instead.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/new/index.html

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is kinda weird... NOE is doing a Smash 3DS double-pack that contains two copies of the game:

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.
Bought a 3DS-XL with Pokemon X, Mario 3D World, Zelda Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, and Fire Emblem Awakening. Best gaming decision I've made in years. Pokemon is crack but Fire Emblem was surprisingly excellent. Mostly went by recommendations but other than the many ships that sail in that game it's really fun. Zelda, Mario, Kart, always quality, always perfect.

Never thought I'd appreciate or get much use out of the 3D, the second screen, or the size, but Nintendo build games for the system that just work. I love it. gently caress buying games off the e-store though. Love me the cartridges.

Oh, also, what the hell is Nintendo Zone and why should I care when it tells me I'm in a spot where it works?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Because they aren't releasing it here until next year. That's way, way far in the future.

I just saw the pics -- where's the power button? Also, what an awful placement for the second stick. They can't even say it's based on the Gamecube one as that one was properly placed where the thumb would reach easily.

In the Direct they seemed to be saying that it's placed there so you can press X/A while using the stick

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's apparently gonna be like 40 New 3DS faceplates at launch, this one is transparent I guess??

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rizzo Crackers posted:

Bought a 3DS-XL with Pokemon X, Mario 3D World, Zelda Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, and Fire Emblem Awakening. Best gaming decision I've made in years. Pokemon is crack but Fire Emblem was surprisingly excellent. Mostly went by recommendations but other than the many ships that sail in that game it's really fun. Zelda, Mario, Kart, always quality, always perfect.

Never thought I'd appreciate or get much use out of the 3D, the second screen, or the size, but Nintendo build games for the system that just work. I love it. gently caress buying games off the e-store though. Love me the cartridges.

Oh, also, what the hell is Nintendo Zone and why should I care when it tells me I'm in a spot where it works?

Nintendo Zone does various forgettable things. The main draw of them is the Streetpass Relay. The last 6 people to pass by the Nintendo Zone get their data stored. If you then bring your 3DS to the Nintendo Zone, you get those 6 people as Streetpasses. It's pretty much the best way to get Streetpasses outside Japan and conventions.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

In the Direct they seemed to be saying that it's placed there so you can press X/A while using the stick

Iwata basically said that it looks awkward but feels great once you get your hands on it. In nicer terms, of course.

Some more random stuff from the homepage:

- The camera works better in poor light conditions (but who cares about the camera).
- It can indeed play DS games.
- You can do a system transfer from an old 3DS, but you can't system transfer a New to an Old.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sounds like the New 3DS is more of a Gameboy Color and less of a DSi, that's interesting. Hopefully by the time it comes out I'll have some money saved up for the XL version of it.

I traded up to a 3DS XL a few months back in anticipation of Smash Bros, but I'm not too upset about this or anything since it seems like we aren't going to see it in the US until sometime next year. Xenoblade Chronicles being available on a platform with digital distribution is good, though. It should keep the prices from doing the same thing they did on the Wii, since there's no limited demand. I honestly thought they were going to rerelease it for the Wii U as an HD update but this is even better. I think we need to see some more New-Only games before I can commit to biting the bullet, as much as having a C-Stick for Smash Bros appeals to me.

I'm really curious how they got the 3D effect to have a wider range, though. That's got to be some really impressive engineering if they can keep it working at extreme angles now.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm really curious how they got the 3D effect to have a wider range, though. That's got to be some really impressive engineering if they can keep it working at extreme angles now.

The front camera tracks your head and changes the position of the two images accordingly.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sire Oblivion posted:

Keep it and the box in good condition and you'll be able to eBay it for MSRP, I managed to sell my original 3DS for $185 when the XL came out.

This is exactly what I have done with the Zelda bundle. Mint 3DS and mint box. Should be able to cover most of the new model. I just lost Xenoblade in a flood, as it was in my Wii at the time, so I would love to finally beat the game.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I guess no-one knows the answer yet (outside Nintendo), but I'm a bit sceptical about how well the eye-tracking 3D will work.

With the parallax barrier, as crap as it is if you move slightly, you can perceive depth without moving just because images are in/out of focus. Eye tracking 3D (based on smartphone apps I've tried) doesn't work anywhere nearly as well in terms of creating the 3D effect - you have to move around and the image responds. Unless they're physically moving the parallax barrier to keep in line with your eyesight..

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Wow, and I just bought a 3DS XL like, five days ago. That's just about the worst electronics purchase timing possible.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I really wasn't expecting that when I woke up today, I assumed the Direct was gonna be Smash related.

Kinda annoyed that the regular 3DS is the one with the replaceable faceplates and SNES colored buttons, I really want them on the XL.

I wonder if there's any chance of Nintendo releasing an update for KI:U to support the second stick? I mean, I managed to play with the original control scheme fine, but second stick support would remove the stigma from the game.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
So the model with the switchable face plats will only be the new 3DS, and not the XL? Motherfucker! :argh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Froist posted:

I guess no-one knows the answer yet (outside Nintendo), but I'm a bit sceptical about how well the eye-tracking 3D will work.

With the parallax barrier, as crap as it is if you move slightly, you can perceive depth without moving just because images are in/out of focus. Eye tracking 3D (based on smartphone apps I've tried) doesn't work anywhere nearly as well in terms of creating the 3D effect - you have to move around and the image responds. Unless they're physically moving the parallax barrier to keep in line with your eyesight..
That's exactly how a lot of 3D monitors do it, the barrier adjusts to track your head position. That's probably how the New 3DS does it too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

lelandjs posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of Nintendo releasing an update for KI:U to support the second stick? I mean, I managed to play with the original control scheme fine, but second stick support would remove the stigma from the game.

It's not a second stick, it's a tiny little nub that won't be much use for anything but camera control.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I for one am glad they finally upgraded the regular 3DS. The DPI might have been fine on the old one but I wouldn't have minded a slighty larger screen.

I just hope the sound is as loud as in the old model.

EDIT: Hmm, actually it looks like the same size. Huh.

EDIT2: Well, the new 3DS is at least a bit larger than the old one, so proportionally it's larger. I hope.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 29, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not a second stick, it's a tiny little nub that won't be much use for anything but camera control.

Well, camera control is what KI:U needs.

Oh hey, just realized that I'll probably actually be able to play MGS Snake Eater now, as the original 3DS' screen was too small for me to play it on and the camera controls were too poo poo to play without the CPP.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I guess NES Remix is getting a 3DS release too.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/statuses/505319251784503297

EDIT: Dumb question, but if I own Animal Crossing digitally on my 3DSXL and buy this new model whenever it comes out and do a system transfer, my save/town will carry over, right?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 29, 2014

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
This is why I buy all my Nintendo handhelds on day 1. Sure I miss out on rad recolours, but by the time the hardware revisions come out, I feel like my system got enough use that I can justify an upgrade. (I also can't help just going out on day 1 to get new tech to play with)
I for one am psyched as hell for this new XL, and especially psyched for home menu themes.
I just wish the XL had the faceplates too. I really just wanna fully customize my machine.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

I guess NES Remix is getting a 3DS release too.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/statuses/505319251784503297

EDIT: Dumb question, but if I own Animal Crossing digitally on my 3DSXL and buy this new model whenever it comes out and do a system transfer, my save/town will carry over, right?

Yes. The no backup thing comes from if you try to savescum. You can backup/transfer the save, but only the most recent will work.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
I love my 3DS and all but Nintendo releasing its 3rd new model* in just 4 years is a bit too much. Even more alarming is that it contains a new CPU, which makes new games like the announced Xenoblade Chronicles unplayable on older models, fracturing the userbase. Plus, transferring digital purchases on Nintendo is amazingly difficult due to Nintendo's online policies being stuck in 2002.

On the plus side, more buttons, battery life and improved CPU are welcomed.

*I don't count the abomination that is the 2DS.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling it is a direct response to the Gateway 3DS exploit, and they want to make drat sure no one can pirate Xenoblade for another couple years.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It would be great if they tried to solve the Wii U's naming confusion by releasing a new model called New Wii U

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reminder that the DSi didn't come too long after the Lite and that the Game Boy Color was also a thing. Both hardware revisions that had exclusive games and nobody ended up minding it -- most future 3DS games will work on older models as per the norm.

Dehry posted:

I get the feeling it is a direct response to the Gateway 3DS exploit, and they want to make drat sure no one can pirate Xenoblade for another couple years.

This is a rather dumb theory. They can push firmware updates at any time that can change anything in the OS. They force it when you try to use the store, the system will download updates in the background and be constantly nagging you about it, and they can be added to retail games forcing you to install to play said games.

Nintendo needs to sell hardware. Anyone in Japan who wanted a 3DS has one by now, now many of these people will buy a new model. It's a basic Sales 101 strategy any hardware company would do.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It would be great if they tried to solve the Wii U's naming confusion by releasing a new model called New Wii U
I would be surprised if we don't get a slightly gruntier Wii U without the gamepad, that they would call the New Wii U, in the next few years, after this.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Dehry posted:

Yes. They designed and revealed a new system and games because someone has recently hacked the 3DS.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The lovely thing about all this is that I can't even trade my old XL in towards this new 3DS because of Nintendo's absolutely archaic idea of digital only content being locked so it'd only work your console only, instead of a much more sensible account bound thing that Microsoft and Sony do.

Sure there is system transfers but that means you can't trade your old XL in because you still need it around to transfer everything to the new 3DS!

Really not pleased about this news.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Shelf Adventure posted:

Yes. They designed and revealed a new system and games because someone has recently hacked the 3DS.

That was kinda what the DSi was about, it included the ability to update the firmware specifically to combat the piracy issues with the DS and lite.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The lovely thing about all this is that I can't even trade my old XL in towards this new 3DS because of Nintendo's absolutely archaic idea of digital only content being locked so it'd only work your console only, instead of a much more sensible account bound thing that Microsoft and Sony do.

Sure there is system transfers but that means you can't trade your old XL in because you still need it around to transfer everything to the new 3DS!

You can do that in-store at a lot of places.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If you ask to do a system transfer at the store I'm 100% sure they'd be fine with it. That's what I did when I upgraded from the DS phat to the lite.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
It's going to be interesting to see if this ends up being closer to the DSi or the Game Boy Colour in terms of software support. Very few titles took advantage of the DSi giving a power boost, most of the games that used it just used it for a camera minigame or video chat. Xenoblade is at least a bigger exclusive than the DSi ever got, but I wonder if things like Pokémon OR/AS will use it to improve the frame rate in triple battles.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Stux posted:

That was kinda what the DSi was about, it included the ability to update the firmware specifically to combat the piracy issues with the DS and lite.

They've managed to keep mostly a tight lid on piracy just through system updates. It looks like hackers have made some progress in the past week skimming through posts here (I'm not sure if it's been released yet) but this isn't really a response to that. They've had this in the pipeline a while.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Since the new 3DS has a faster CPU do you think that will mean old games that chugged on the framerate will run better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

They've managed to keep mostly a tight lid on piracy just through system updates. It looks like hackers have made some progress in the past week skimming through posts here (I'm not sure if it's been released yet) but this isn't really a response to that. They've had this in the pipeline a while.
Its coming out in a couple of hours, maybe.

• Locked thread