Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh man I totally forgot about Persona Q. I was already a big Persona fan but since getting a 3DS I am now also a big Etrian Odyssey fan. Is it using the EO4 engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm really regretting buying Fire Emblem: Awakening. I guess it would be okay if you're into unit stat growth spreadsheet nonsense but holy poo poo is it terrible as a strategy game.

Are there any actually good TBS games for 3DS? Also I've played Shadow Wars, so other than that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is it really that spreadsheety? All the numbers are super simple.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm really regretting buying Fire Emblem: Awakening. I guess it would be okay if you're into unit stat growth spreadsheet nonsense but holy poo poo is it terrible as a strategy game.

Are there any actually good TBS games for 3DS? Also I've played Shadow Wars, so other than that.

I'll buy it off you via PMs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Project X Zopfhahahahahahaha.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Endorph posted:

Is it really that spreadsheety? All the numbers are super simple.

I don't know or care, most of the discussion about the game seems to be concerned about that kind of thing though. All I know is that all the battles seem to be revolve around baiting the AI by straddling the max attack ranges. The enemies never do anything remotely clever or unexpected, it's just so braindead and repetitive.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 2, 2014

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've heard Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't know or care
No need to be a dick, man.

Anyway the long answer is, well, no. The only strategy games on 3DS are Shadow Wars, FE13, and Imagine Babyz, according to gamefaqs. Project X Zone too, but if you thought FE13 was repetitive, ooh boy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The DS Advance Wars games weren't any good?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The DS Advance Wars games weren't any good?

They were!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They were both good, but you said 3DS, not DS.

Dual Strike is a ridiculous power level fest that you can break over your knee and Days of Ruin is way more balanced but also way more toned down. They both have their problems but they're both still good games.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

goferchan posted:

Oh man I totally forgot about Persona Q. I was already a big Persona fan but since getting a 3DS I am now also a big Etrian Odyssey fan. Is it using the EO4 engine?

Apparently, although the combat system is a hybrid of the two games.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Endorph posted:

They were both good, but you said 3DS, not DS.

:manning:

If I can play it on my 3DS, then whatever. eShop stuff is fine too.

quote:

Dual Strike is a ridiculous power level fest that you can break over your knee and Days of Ruin is way more balanced but also way more toned down. They both have their problems but they're both still good games.

Bleh, I have basically zero tolerance for any kind of grind in video games. I'll give Days of Ruin a shot if I can find it cheap, thanks.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The enemies never do anything remotely clever or unexpected

Is there a strategy game where this actually exists

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mechafunkzilla posted:

:manning:

If I can play it on my 3DS, then whatever. eShop stuff is fine too.

Bleh, I have basically zero tolerance for any kind of grind in video games. I'll give Days of Ruin a shot if I can find it cheap, thanks.

You should buy Days of Ruin and then proceed to sell me Fire Emblem.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

Is there a strategy game where this actually exists

I mean, games that utilize things like traps and fog of war and well-timed skill use can make it feel that way, but poo poo, I'd settle for something where the strategy doesn't revolve around having the AI have all of its guys commit suicide attacking your units that they can barely damage. It's so, so dumb, and makes it just feel like transparent AI manipulation rather than even trying to maintain the illusion of battle tactics.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean, games that utilize things like traps and fog of war and well-timed skill use can make it feel that way, but poo poo, I'd settle for something where the strategy doesn't revolve around having the AI have all of its guys commit suicide attacking your units that they can barely damage. It's so, so dumb, and makes it just feel like transparent AI manipulation rather than even trying to maintain the illusion of battle tactics.

Are you playing on normal? Because that mode is seriously for people who have never played a video game before. At least try a map or two on lunatic mode before writing it off completely.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I guess I felt most of the tactics pop up when I hit Apotheosis or even the higher difficulties, where the tactics were more or less evolving into a survival game rounded around endurance and clever planning to ensure the safety of your units in the process, understanding your odds in combat and using relationships to ensure the best possible outcome.

Regarding Advance Wars: If I were you, I would set back to the GBA Advance Wars games and stick with them; I find them to be much more polished titles. However, Dual Strike and Days of Ruin are by no means "bad choices"; my personal opinion is that they're less enjoyable, however.

(If you get good at the games, I might even play you in a game of Advance Wars By Web if you PM me!)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

The Timely Howard posted:

Are you playing on normal? Because that mode is seriously for people who have never played a video game before. At least try a map or two on lunatic mode before writing it off completely.

Yes Awakening lunatic mode, that'll turn his opinion right around

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Perfect Potato posted:

Yes Awakening lunatic mode, that'll turn his opinion right around

Its like your armies' swords and wizard biz is replaced with shovels that only work on friends graves.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Timely Howard posted:

I'm playing on Hard Classic.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's no grinding involved in any AW game. You can do it in Dual Strike if you want but it's not something that the game expects from you, at least not on a normal campaign playthrough.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Gunvolt has a mega man boss fight that's also a bullet hell shooter

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What he was trying to say about Dual Strike (I assume, his phrasing was pretty loving confusing) is that it's very different from the other Advance Wars games and instead of being a small push and pull about edging your opponent out, it's pretty much about keeping your army safe until you're ready to use your CO powers to destroy the entire enemy army in one turn.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Count Uvula posted:

What he was trying to say about Dual Strike (I assume, his phrasing was pretty loving confusing) is that it's very different from the other Advance Wars games and instead of being a small push and pull about edging your opponent out, it's pretty much about keeping your army safe until you're ready to use your CO powers to destroy the entire enemy army in one turn.

Which is massively satisfying and huge fun.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm playing on Hard Classic.

Ahh, yeah, then I kind of get where you're coming from. Hard Classic starts off pretty fun but the difficulty completely falls off the further you get in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Which is massively satisfying and huge fun.

Eagle + Max = three turns of unstoppable bloody slaughter :unsmigghh:.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hungry Bit posted:

Did the 3DS version even sell that much?

It's on sale for 9 bucks right now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nearly two years later, eShop-only, not translated to any Euro language other than English. Atlus blocked both NISA and NOE from publishing the game here for this?

I can only imagine how worse things will get without NISA on publishing duty anymore.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, the next Bokujou Monogatari (formerly known as Harvest Moon) game is gonna be a crossover title with the obscure manga/game series Popolocrois. What the hell? Isn't that some sort of SRPG thing?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
At this point I'm expecting it to just be cancelled.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You have got to be making GBS threads me. I don't know if I even want the game anymore, this is ludicrous.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

I hope it's released on November 28th so that Persona Q, Pokemon, and SMT4 are all released on the same day.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/02/harvest-moon-teams-popolocrois-new-3ds-rpg/

Harvest Moon and PoPoLoCrois. It's taking some time for that to sink in to my brain. Is it okay if I get more excited for this crossover than for SMT x FE?

I can't get really excited until they pull out the super cheesy commercials like they had for the rest of the series, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gQwxm50NQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2UQ_s9a1EE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgorGQctf9U

Edit: And as usual Siliconera has no idea what they're talking about. PoPoLoCrois was like Final Fantasy Tactics? Why, because battles took place on a grid?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Saoshyant posted:

not translated to any Euro language other than English

Wait, what? I was already thinking the wait was ridiculous when I thought they WERE doing that. How does it take so long when they're not even changing anything from the US release? Why does it need delaying even further? What the gently caress, Atlus? :psyduck:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Suaimhneas posted:

Wait, what? I was already thinking the wait was ridiculous when I thought they WERE doing that. How does it take so long when they're not even changing anything from the US release? Why does it need delaying even further? What the gently caress, Atlus? :psyduck:

And they aren't even releasing in retail, thus not excusing any delays due to production or distribution issues.

NOE was rumored to have been translating the game to French late last year or earlier this year and that was the explanation for the huge delay. With Nintendo as the publisher in Korea as well, it seemed like they would be doing a full FIGS release in Europe. Except Atlus stepped in, claimed they wanted to be more active in the European market, and here we are with no game and all other future games similary stalled. GG, Atlus.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't forget the time they went out of their way to region-lock Persona 4 Arena on a console where almost every game is region-free by default and made Europe wait like 10 months extra. I don't understand how a company like Atlus with so much consumer goodwill can make such boneheaded decisions when it comes to Europe. I look forward to playing Persona 5 in 2020.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

At least enough people yelled at Atlus for region locking Arena that they apologized and made Ultimax region free, that was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Getsuya posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/02/harvest-moon-teams-popolocrois-new-3ds-rpg/

Harvest Moon and PoPoLoCrois. It's taking some time for that to sink in to my brain. Is it okay if I get more excited for this crossover than for SMT x FE?

I can't get really excited until they pull out the super cheesy commercials like they had for the rest of the series, though:

Edit: And as usual Siliconera has no idea what they're talking about. PoPoLoCrois was like Final Fantasy Tactics? Why, because battles took place on a grid?

I haven't played the series but I always thought it was an SRPG, too, just based on screenshots. Of course, I'm not writing junk about it on the internet so I'm allowed to be wrong as hell.

Are the games actually interesting or do they get by on charm?

• Locked thread