Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Please add GET A GODDAMN HORI SCREEN PROTECTOR somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If you're dead set on importing then why not just buy the Japanese 3DS in the first place? Super Robot Wars is already a tactical RPG, why wait for a localization on Project X Zone?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

Hello. I want to buy a 3DSxl in the future for games like Soul Hackers as well as a bunch of others that are coming out. I live in the UK and a few of these games are only going to NA. How would I go about getting a 3DS which I could use to play these games with? Do I just buy an NA region one and import NA games for it? Thanx for the help.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Yes. If you want NA only games import an NA DS and NA games.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I have the suede bag from Club Nintendo and I just rest it on top of the 3DSXL while it charges, the blue light does not show at all. It's bright but it's not difficult to cover up.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I pretty much sat on the floor in Gamestop for 20 minutes letting the system transfer go so I could do a trade in m'self.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Not only the lack of QA in VLR is evident, the 3DS supports game patches. I'm amused at the complete lack of interest in this huge issue in their own game.

Everybody's always eager to blame QA, but frankly it doesn't matter how much you report a bug if the devs don't deem it worth fixing / aren't sure what the fix is / don't think it's important enough to fix / deadline is too soon. :colbert:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Len posted:

But everything was going so good :( And then there was a knife in my back

So start playing again and pick new doors and different options. That's the point.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

The real problem is that most Gamestops have started throwing out all cases on used DS and 3DS games (no matter how new they are) to save space and because "people don't care about cases". They were genuinely shocked when I told them that they just lost my business.

I'm not much for paying market rate for incomplete used games and it puts all the games in a tiny lovely case so you can't really browse them, just tiny titles. Dicks.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Old DS games fit perfectly in Altoids gum cases (I think you could store 8 in each), and it was a great way to keep a pretty good library of games in your pocket. I think the little extra tab on 3DS carts makes them too wide, though.

That's great and all but as a collector there's no way I'm going to keep a chunk of my collection in a tin of mints when they came with perfectly good hard cases with art and manuals. Especially paying normal prices for used games. At least knock a few bucks off of the normal going rate when it's not complete.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Unoriginal posted:

It does. We have at least half a dozen GameStops in the area and some throw them out while some go ahead and keep them either on the shelf or in a drawer. When I asked about it, they said that 90% of the DS games traded in didn't have cases anyway, so it may not be that the store doesn't keep them. They may have never gotten them in the first place.

It is a per location decision but many places are doing this and yes, I'm aware that a lot of them are traded in without it, but when asked about it directly they informed me that yes, they throw out the cases and that is true for many locations, though clearly not all.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

I grew up on physical cartridges as well, the excitement when looking at presents under the christmas tree and seeing that familiar box shape was beyond words. At the time.

Now, I am all about digital - I will ONLY buy a physical copy if there is no eshop release, and I hope that eventually EVERYTHING is digital. The more people buy digital, the more Nintendo is going to ensure that everything goes up there. I don't even buy movies physically anymore either, who the hell wants to keep bookshelves full of games/movies these days? I put the physical discs I have left - game, movie, or otherwise, into sleeves so they take up as little space as possible and put them out of sight.

I grabbed FE via the eShop ( on release date :smug: ) and holy poo poo - as a newbie to the franchise, this game has blown me away - scratching that RPG itch and SRPG itch I didn't even know I had. I liked FF:T but that was ages ago, the last SRPG I played was Disgaea which is insufferable for just about every reason. This game though - this is how an SRPG should be. It's not even TOO anime either, the polish is through and through - from the movies, to the battle animations, to the 2d sprites, it's just very well done.

I highly recommend it, if anyone is on the fence.

Plenty of people like to keep those bookshelves, but I mean, whatever works for you. Nintendo sucks at handling digital downloads and there are people who like to collect things and have the ability to resell things and like owning a tangible, physical copy of something that will never "go away" if a server that requires authentication dies or something (more applicable to other services but my point stands).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Got Paper Mario and Style Savvy online, managed to get the last copy of Miracle Mask they had in store. :toot:

Today is a good day for games. :3:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

So NA Club Nintendo members get additional points from registering their reward games?

(Not that I need a Game & Watch, I already have working units of Mario Bros. and Oil Panic from 1982 :smug:)

The Paper Mario deal was a retailer sale for it being $20.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

If it's designs you want you know you can just put decals on them... right? As far as simple stuff like a Triforce goes, anyway.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah but I mean car-window style decals that are removable and look great as long as you can apply, say, a screen protector.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18d8q5w49bwtojpg/original.jpg

Huge example but really it looks fine. If you got one cut out of metallic gold vinyl it'd look pretty great, I think.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Karthe posted:

How long does it take for the post-play survey to pop up on Club Nintendo? I picked up Crashmo on sale last week in an effort to get over the 10-coin hump to Platinum, but it only gave me 5 play coins at the time of purchase. I really hope a second survey comes in because I'm running out of ways to nickle-and-dime my way to the top.

It usually takes a few days but it doesn't really matter, you have until like June to hit Platinum.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

All of the files are within the same directory structure... right? It didn't put duplicates as filename(2) or anything? Or two different main directories?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I know I'm a little late to the street pass discussion from this weekend, but I am amazed that living in Chicago and taking the same train to work every single day leaving at the same time, that I don't consistently run into the same people more often. Doesn't everyone need to be at work by 9am?

Work by 9AM? gently caress that noise. I work 1PM-10PM. :colbert:

I also live out in the burbs, but I take my 3DSXL pretty much everywhere just in case of tags. For optimum tagging perhaps make sure you're sitting in the middle of the train - but... are you actually playing your 3DS on the train? Because that would explain not getting passes. :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Couldn't tell you for sure, but you could watch Arino-kacho try and that would give you a decent impression.

What I can tell you from watching Game Center CX is... isn't there actually a time limit to the game? Like, you have to complete it in under x amount of hours (game-time ones, there's a clock) and if you pass that time whatever door you go through next is the "final door" and the credit roll? I'd check myself on that but I can't at work.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

Is the 3DS-XL screen easy to register touches on?

I have a post discount 3DS that I got awhile ago and the screen is much harder to "press" then an android device the same is true for my DSi. I noticed the wiiU screen is actually pretty easy to press.

You should look into the difference between capacitive and resistive touch screens because they are, in fact, two totally different types of technology. Your android screen is capacitive. The 3DS is resistive.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Dehry posted:

I just got a spotpass notification for Style Savvy. They added a Japanese clothing brand: Liz Lisa.

Woo new stuff in Style Savvy! Thanks for the heads up. :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

jivjov posted:

For anyone who didn't already know this: anime conventions are the world's best place for StreetPasses. I've been here less than an hour, the convention doesn't actually kick off til 4, and I've already got 6.

At Anime Central in Rosemont, IL I ended up with 150+ Streetpasses in a day.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

We get one. All of those consoles and games got me 2600 stars. The "good" stuff is about 6000+

For 3DS games you get 40ish coins. It takes 1200 coins to get the top reward we have in the US, Game & Watch. The system is like 160 or so. It's not exactly fast here.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

They cooled off on that stuff a bit, but yes that's fair.

Even still, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad, etc are all much faster than FE. That game that Prier was in isn't though. The name escapes me.

La Pucelle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Oh man, I just started getting caught up on my backlog by pulling out Style Savvy: Trendsetters.

I am now on a quest to establish the edgiest store ever. So far everyone has left satisfied and not completely ridiculous, sans the one person I sent out in a full cheeta print nightmare outfit. I feel like I need to invest more in clothes to make people look bad.

I like dressing the mannequins in atrocious expensive outfits and seeing who comes buy to just buy the whole thing. :downs:

• Locked thread