Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Rirse posted:

Well thanks to the last thread I decided to buy 999. Hoping it turns out to be good as everyone says it is.

Also suggest on the new OP some highly suggested DS games, probably not insane like the old Wii thread was.

Also just got it and Hotel Dusk finally about two weeks ago. Burned through Dusk in a day and some and was pleasantly surprised (looking into importing the sequel from Euroland) and just got my first ending on 999 last night (coffin in case you were wondering, so i'm extra wanting to see the others) and it's really pretty engaging story wise for what it is especially as it chugs toward the end. Puzzles are all pretty good and even the more obtuse ones they figured were obtuse and you have a little guidance. Havin' a good time so far.

And when you get to Third Party recomendations you better add Resident Evil: 'Revelaitons'! :argh:

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

5. Is Zelda on 3DS better than the N64 version in any way (ie, improved in any way or straight port? Isn't the 3DS' resolution lower than the N64's?)

I think it's one of the better (if not best) reissues of a game ever. I liked a lot of the fixes and convenience things they put in to make everything a more streamlined experience. The key feature though that sold it was having 4 'c button' item slots as well as having the open inventory on the bottom which made things like taking the iron boots on and off far less painful than the original game. Would have called it a success for that alone.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm looking to catch up on the DS/3DS hosed up game genre. Do I have many options? Actual genre doesn't matter, I just want some dark, bleak horrorish games. Could be ghosts, murder, possession, zombies, whatever. I just started RE:R and it made me realize that horror works really well on portable game systems. You really get sucked in.

I'd consider 999 on the DS horror-ish. It's more suspensful than horror but when/if someone dies you get a nice grim explanation about it and you're kinda on edge the whole time. For actual horror there was a game on the DS called Dementium which was good. First person survival sorta setup in a hospital. Let you write everything down on your notebook and solve poo poo within the game. Apparently it had a sequel too which was from what I hear even better graphically and story wise but I haven't had a chance to pick it up myself.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

-Kid Icarus:
-Kingdom Hearts 3D:
-Resident Evil:

Kid Icarus was probably my favorite game of last year, the only complaint I ever hear about it is the controls and you get used to that within' 35-40 minutes. It's really very overblown. Chapters are set up in really good handheld bites of game with tons of stuff to do and all kinds of crazy crap and the funniest character interaction i've seen in awhile. It's a love letter to how weird games are and what we accept as commonplace in them. If you don't get this may hobos poke you endlessly with their bindles.

Kingdom Hearts I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan persay. I've never played any of the titles myself even though i've cruised through a few lets plays of other ones to see what all the hype was about and left really confused. Bought this for my daughter because she loves disney and played the demo on her 3DS all 30 times. During a lull I decided to give it a shot and while the story is really kinda convoluted and doesn't make much sense to someone just jumping in (which is purely my fault and I don't expect it to) the combat is really stupid sorts of fun. Lots of menus with little explanation which is kinda a shame in this day and age but if you ever lived through the SNES rpg era you'll figure it out. Same with the drop system, after the first time you wont make a mistake again since they give you enough options to slow it down or halt it.

Resident Evil: R

Alteisen posted:

This was a mistake, Revelations is nothing like that pandering piece of poo poo that RE6 was, RE also has an A team and B team and the B team handled Revelations, probably why it ended up being so drat good, it actually feels like a horror game and raid mode is way better than mercs.

This guy knows the score. I cheerlead for this game a lot but it really is the prettiest game on the system with the sharpest use of 3D and is just an all around pretty solid horror title and a really good Resident Evil title. Much in the vein of the first batch with gameplay elements of 4. Also yes, I played Raid Mode far more than I ever played Mercenaries with the exception of 4s. Also, as someone else on this board put, it has Romanian Barry Burton and Hipster Conan O'Brian. How can you not be curious about that?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I still dunno about RE Revelations, I know it's supposed to be much better than RE6, but even the earlier games are hard for me to play these days. For a while it looked like Dead Space was gonna take over where RE4 stopped (happy medium between RE3, RE5) but that looks like it's moving more towards action too.

It plays just like RE4 what with the one control stick stop n' shoot stuff. So if you can still do a run through RE4 you're gold.

Also yes you should get Kid Icarus and i'd even recommend it at full price because it's surprisingly lengthy. Just when you think you're about done you just began.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Well, graphics and no need for a dumb accessory for one.

Those are based on popular TV shows you talked about some time last year, aren't they? I'd assume it's not that surprising seeing as the 3DS isn't exactly targeting a specific audience and there's lots of adults who like their TV shows.

What dumb accessory did this one need? All I needed was the 3DS.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

StevenM posted:

You just answered your own question. :v:

H'yuk h'yuk h'yuk.

To answer your question and coming from someone who really loves some of the camelot mario sports games for the goofy stupid fun they are, Mario Tennis on the 3DS was really really lacking in just about everything.

limaCAT posted:

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also everybody has been spelling Revelations wrong. :colbert:

Yeah, that's how my copy is spelled. :cheers:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

SereneCrimson posted:

it has a bit less DeNonno charm than Hotel Dusk.

Fixed that for ya.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

EDIT: Really impressed by it, even though I have the 3D effect down to about 25% on the slider. Too much and I keep seeing 'ghosts' of the stuff on the screen. Do you find it better if the 3DS is held a little further away from you?

Yeah it's best to keep it a little less than arms length away. You'll always forget and find yourself like nose to screen at it but the 3D looks the best if it's about that distance. Also if Zelda and SM3DL wow you wait till you take a gander at Kid Icarus.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about Theatrhythm. KI was actually pretty rad then? I thought it looked pretty dumb after that whole kick stand thing.

KI was the raddest. Was probably my game of the year last year, full of action and kinda self referential humor. You don't need the kickstand at all either. Yes the controls take some getting used to but it's really far better than most exaggerations would lead you to believe. Plus it and RE:R are the prettiest things on the system.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm gonna be that guy and say I hated both titles. I sold KI to get 3D Land and Theatrhythm for Adventure Time.

The worst guy.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Len posted:

But everything was going so good :( And then there was a knife in my back

Well at least it wasn't an axe. Bitches be crazy, yo.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

kater posted:

I'll represent the flip-side of that coin and say that, while I'm salty that the 3DS XL came out so close to when I got my normal, my Zelda 3DS is the most beautiful collector's edition I've ever seen and I think it'd look gaudy as an XL.

The normal 3DS reminds me alot of the GBA Micro with how sleek it is. And also how they both hurt my hands to use.

This is pretty much me. The Zelda 3DS is so damned purty that the only reason I see me picking up an XL is if they do similar purple Majora's Mask bundle. I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Colonel Pancreas posted:

I thought it said prologue, but I may have been wrong. In terms of content, it revealed that Ace was the CEO of the company/murderer. It ended with Zero admitting that he had lost and gassing me in the chapel.

Thats the safe ending. Now you can get the true ending.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Karthe posted:

Was that 3DS game case a month or two back just a fluke? I'd like to pick up another one but it's not even listed under Currently Unavailable.

And what's a good way to pick up 10 coins? I'm that many away from Platinum thanks to FE:A and I'd rather pick up something small to get me over the top than to register a 40-coin game that could be used towards next year's Platinum.

If you don't own Gunman Clive, get it. It's like 2 bucks and a really stylish Megaman clone with fun boss fights. (don't think you get coins right away but you'll get a post play survey in a week.)

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Economy Clown Car posted:

Midnight purple -is- pretty nice! It's a tossup between that and plain jane cosmo black for best viewing potential. I was looking at the zelda special edition but I can't find that for any less than some ungodly sum. :stare:

Good god, I could buy two XLs and a regular for what some of them are asking in price... still no... it's far too sweet. Still holding out for a Majora's Mask remake XL bundle. THAT is how they should bring the purple XL around. Purple with the eyes section of the mask staring at you from the top of the unit. That's the only way i'll upgrade.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

DKWildz posted:

Not only rural areas. Most cities that aren't on the east coast just never had the density or need to build up huge bus/subway systems. Even if they have them, they're so spread out that even if you used the bus/lightrail/subway, you'd likely never see a streetpass because you don't have the population density it requires. That's my situation in Phoenix. Basically, check facebook for '<city/state> Streetpass' groups. That and ComicCon type conventions are the only answer

Eh, on the west side of Phoenix myself and work even further west and everytime I take it out to the mall or something I usually will get 2 or so a trip. That said far less than you'd figure for such a populated city but we all built out not up so it's not THAT crazy a notion.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

My pants, they esplode.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Travis343 posted:

The 4GB card I got with my XL still has plenty of room on it after Fire Emblem, a bunch of the DLC, and digital copies of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. Did some of the systems come with smaller cards or something?

The original 3DS just has a 2gb card in it.

/\/\/\What he said.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Bubba77 posted:

How long is a play through of 999? I bought VLR for my vita and then decided to stop about 2 hours in and wait until I've played 999 a few times. I'm deciding between playing 999 or fire emblem first.

Looking at my time log thingy it says I took 31 hours to beat it with all the endings and such. Probably left that open more than once for awhile though. Funnily enough also according to this thing i'm 31 hours into VLR too with only one of the endings so far.... gently caress.

Also if you decide to play Fire Emblem first you will never ever escape and play the other games.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 3, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

LibbyM posted:

Can I ruin my savefile in vlr by saving in a puzzle room or something like that?

That's exactly it. Rule of thumb, never save in puzzle rooms. Also yeah, use that flow chart. I played through it twice before looking up stuff online andgot the coffin ending first then the knife, which you can totally skip. I also totally agree with whoever previously said to totally dodge the safe ending till after you do just about every other one.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Guys, guys, you're talking about two different games. In VLR you can just do whatever in terms of endings due to how the flowchart works. In 999 you should avoid getting Safe until you have at least, say, two other endings because it'll ruin a lot of the dramatic tension in the rest of the endings.

What this guy said. VLR self regulates.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

gently caress. That kills my drive to complete the game. For now at least.

The pacing of the writing seems a bit worse, and the uninteresting graphics make the puzzle rooms a chore (the puzzles themselves are good, though.)

Just trudge through. I was a bit ehhh about it in comparison when you start running into so many locks but when you start opening them up especially after the first couple it picks up real quick on the 'interesting poo poo train'.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

fount of knowledge posted:

As an aside, I recently bought Ocarina of Time 3DS used from Amazon, and Master Quest is already unlocked. :toot: Seeing as I've already beaten the game several times on the N64 and never played MQ, anything wrong with just jumping right in to that?

Nothing wrong at all with it. I think a little bit of added difficulty is you remembering how you solved the various rooms before and kinda going in with those preconceived notions but if you've beat it a 147 times like we all have that'll still be a nice barrier. Master Quest being on it and the reworked inventory/c-button system was a big selling point for me.

Ularg posted:

I never got an answer when I posted last time but maybe you can help me. How the hell do I not suck at Zelda games? I'm lost like 100% of the time, even when using that hint thing near your house.

I've always seen Zelda as a series of epiphanies. You go into a dungeon and kinda wade in a bit, look for stuff, test what you CAN do without any keys/weapons/yadda and when you start finding stuff and whatnot you'll just click on how a dungeon works and you can sail through it. OoT's water temple I think is a real good example of that. We all sat there like lemmings playing with the water raising/lowering thing until we got it (sometimes after a lot of controller smacking) and then you kinda cruise your way through it.

Best advice I can give you though is if you need a key, search high and low in every other room you can possibly go into and look for it. They wont always be in the same room. Also if you're stuck on something, did you just get a new weapon or item? Because odds are you'll use that at least once in a dungeon besides when you fight that dungeon's boss. Other than that squawk in this thread for help for specific dungeons and such but most things involve thinking at least a little outside the box.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Not a fan of the game but it was cool that they did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxGlw3Sq_s

That is great. They really need to instill the fear of Donkey Kong in people again. He's a big jar-headed gorilla and he's coming for your bananas whether you want him to or not. I keep a sledgehammer next to my desk for the day the barrels come.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

Target seems to have a cool deal on 3DS XLs for $175, but also have a deal for a pack with Mario Kart 7 for $215. If I loved Mario Kart DS, is it worth getting? Still iffy because NO WALUIGI.

I can't decide personally if Mario Kart 7 is AS good as Mario Kart DS was when it came out (DS is my favorite ever) but it DOES have all the best DS tracks as updated retro courses (Waluigi's Pinball, Airship Fortress and Luigi's Mansion). It's really good. Although that pack in deal isn't really a deal since it's the exact price for it added onto the deal price.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I just completed VLR. It's great, but I still like 999 better. That is all I can say without going into specifics.

This is pretty much how I felt. I really liked how VLR guided you into endings so there wasn't any real fear of finding out stuff that'd deflate other paths but I think 999 was a better overall story in a slimmer package IE Portal 1. Can't wait for 3.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

Man, that game was great. There was a period of time when Nintendo was shoehorning an RPG into a bunch of their GBC games (Mario Tennis and Mario Golf, for example) and it totally worked.

Man GBC Mario Golf was the best. Only golf game I ever actually scored an Albatross in.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Bet that's been weighing on you.

:rimshot: The only thing that's been weighing on me is not being able to find my cart anymore. Suppose I could just buy it off the shop now though.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Target still had the copy of RE: Revelations for :10bux:! Gonna dig in tonight, it's more classic RE right?

It alternates between sections that are RE1-3ish (although with RE4's control setup and shooting and such. Also no inventory shenanigans) and then RE5ish action jackson gun 1000 Hunters or demon wolf things. I think it's the best one since 4.

Barudak posted:

Its bit-sized RE in the vein of RE4. While the campaign is firmly in the "way shittier than RE4" camp the co-op raid mode is awesome and worth the price of admission.

Also, it might feature the most meta-objectified female character in gaming history.

Also Hipster Conan O'Brien. And Romanian Barry.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

I Might Be Adam posted:

Well, I know absolutely nothing about 3DS titles as I just bought one so when he went on and on about how underwhelming and disappointing it was, I decided to get something else. I'm going to pick up either Monster Hunter 3 or Fire Emblem this weekend. Anyone have a suggestion either way?

Whichever one you choose you'll never wind up getting the other do to being stuck playing it forever.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Jakse posted:

So the visual novels like Ghost Trick, 999 and it's sequel seem really interesting. Best to just grab them from Amazon for 20 bucks each? Is the iOS version of Ghost Trick any good at 10 bucks? How long are these games? Any replayability?

Can't say about Ghost Trick (It's coming in the mail) but 999 and VLR are 30 hour games a piece.

Gutcruncher posted:

My DS collection just keeps growing. Oh God what am I gonna do!

Y-you need to mail me all of those to save yourself from your addiction and to help further mine.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

There aren't 8 worlds in this game. There are 16. And the second 8 are more challenging and interesting than the first 8.

It was a really good surprise too. I had heard later that Nintendo went out of their way to put "You can't talk about the later 8 worlds at all" on any of their previews game sites did till after the game was out so when you got past the first 8 it was all "Well that was fun but shor- whaaaaaaaaaa?"

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Back to streetpass chat, I guess Phoenix is a more metropolitan city than I thought? I got two when I went to Fry's (a grocery store chain that has nothing to do with the electronics store) and it was full of old people.

We are. drat shame is it's all built out instead of up. Still I head to Fry's or Arrowhead Mall or the movies I come back with at least 3.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another good SMT game is the Devil Survivor series. I recommend the 3ds ones for the extra content.

This, i'm starting out on Devil Survivor 1 (DS not the 3DS one unfortunately) and it doesn't hold your hand too much but you can pretty much figure out how things work.

Policenaut posted:

I am so, so happy that it appears the market is finally shifting back to the PS2 generation's bravado of just accepting anything and everything overseas. We got so much weird poo poo on the platforms in that generation and it makes me smile to see it happening again.

Also this. I really like what i'm getting on 3DS and i'm kinda half hoping Nintendo goes whole hog with the WiiU with the Platinum stuff and that SMTxFire Emblem. I'd love it if it turned out to be the Nippon box. Keeping my eye on the PS4 to see what gets there.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 17, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Here's video of the games: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/software/built-in/miiplaza/meikyu/#id=movie006

Mansion looks kinda cool. RPG where you create the dungeon layout with Tetris pieces :stare:

Was... was that Mii TOTAL WAR?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Harlock posted:

Swapnote is probably my favorite feature of a console in quite some time. I just wish you could reply multiple times in one message chain.

I haven't kept up so i've probably got 300 waiting for me, 20 at a time... *groans*

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

general chaos posted:

Someone way earlier in the thread mentioned something about putting cabinet spacers to protect the top screen from the scratchtastic bottom screen's bezel.

I gave my young cousin my old DS collection and seeing how scratched upwell loved the screen looks now makes me want to take care of this little thing. Worth the effort?

It is. I have two thin little hairline lines on the top screen from taking it out with me when I was on route delivering packages. It's really only noticable if the screen is stark white but i'm OCD about that poo poo so to stop it getting any worse I went to target and got a pack of tiny clear spacer/jams and put em' in the top corners. Works like a charm. Worth not having to pay the price of a new screen.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

crazkylo posted:

My coins are still ticking up, I've contacted Nintendo Via Email to see if I should wait on registering stuff. It could just be an error on their part.

When they respond back i'd love to hear what they say since I just registered my Project X Zone and yeah, didn't give credit either.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Steinuh posted:

Thinking about buying a new 3ds game it's a toss between DK Returns, Mario 3dLand,or Mario Kart 7, maybe Kid Icarus any thoughts?

Kid Icarus was my game of 2012 and still probably my favorite game on the system but i'm pretty sure having a 3DS without having Mario 3D Land or Mario Kart is some kind of mortal sin. If you can, buy all of those games you mentioned. If not... draw out of a hat? You wont be disappointed either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm late as poo poo most likely but what's up with this? Is this coming to America at all?

It looks like fun :sigh:

They talked about fixing the streetpass feature for America so that you get more streetpasses from passing points or some such thing like that. I'd imagine that they're waiting till that's done to spring it.

• Locked thread