Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah Abyss isn't great. There's a billion other better Tales games to play, maybe they'll bring one of those to the 3DS eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

The controls in Kid Icarus Uprising take some getting used to but once you do they're fine unless you are a child or unfortunate enough to be left handed. The ground levels are super fast paced and on the higher difficulties you need to be pretty precise and make a lot of quick actions. The only alternate control setup that could have preserved the way the combat feels is keyboard+mouse and, well, it's not like the game was ever going to come out on PC. Like, a Wii Remote or a dual analog controller would have "worked" technically but the lack of precision and speed in those control methods would have made the game lose a lot of what makes it cool in the first place.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NOE subbed the JP Animal Crossing Direct video, so check it out if you have ~45 minutes to spare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxxZLdJOQs8

I need this video game aaaaaaaa

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I have a boxed copy of SNES Umihara Kawase and it's A Good Game. It would be cool if this new one was brought stateside but I'm not gonna hold my breath!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Crosspost from the eShop thread: "That 3DS system update seems to be giving a not-insignificant subset of people trouble leading to an error code and the loss of ability to access both the eShop itself and System Settings. Beware."

Sorta-crosspost from eShop thread: It happened to me, a guy who has never had a problem with his 3DS before. Avoid.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

AlexMoron posted:

Attention all of you who are having problems with the latest update! After some intense searching for my girlfriend who had this problem, I found the solution!

Press and hold L+R+Up+A while powering on the system. It'll take you straight to System Update.

Dude, thanks a ton.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

The Shovel Knight dudes have announced that Manami Matsumae (Mega Man!) will be contributing some music to their game, so that's kinda neat. The game has been fully funded, so they're doing stretch goals right now; they've also updated the reward tiers so people can receive two download codes for two different platforms instead of being restricted to one.

I played this game at PAX East, it's pretty rad y'all

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Yo NA dudes, this site has copies of Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland for $18 shipped:

http://gamedealdaily.com/store/product.php?product=1927

Can anyone vouch for 'em?

My friend has bought a couple of grab bags from them before so they're not some scam site or anything. I ordered a copy, thanks for the heads up!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Clutter is the wrong word, I probably just used that because I remember the DKC manual referring to HUDs derisively in that way. To me it does affect the tone of the presentation though. Having Donkey Kong's :haw: face in the corner means it's the antithesis of the realistic approach of the original. It's no longer as if you're viewing real footage of a jungle.

Yeah man life indicators really take me out of the illusion that I'm watching real footage of monkeys shooting out of a barrel like a cannonball

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Momomo posted:

I heard Mario 3D Land was more like a tech demo

What? Where the hell did you hear that? :psyduck: Mario 3D Land is one of the best games on the system and is definitely somewhere up there in the list of best Mario games.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Zeether posted:

Good news: Sayonara Umihara Kawase is planned to have an overseas release. It's just a comment from the devs as of now but it sounds like a good sign. :woop: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/08/farewell-umihara-kawase-is-planned-for-overseas-release/

This is the best news.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

When I first played the game as a kid (before I knew he didn't speak all Olde English in the Japanese version, obviously) after I saw the flashback scene and how Frog talked like a scared dorky normal dude as Glenn I just figured he was trying really hard to put out some tough mysterious swordsman image. I kinda like it better like that.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

It's just an updated port or is there additional content like the Master's Quest in OOT3D? Either way I'm sure I won't be able to resist.

Nothing on the scale of like entirely new levels or anything, but it does have a new challenge mode that requires you to know some tricks about the game engine and how scoring works to get high scores and a totally re-done (but still local only) multiplayer mode. Also a new easy mode and gyro controls but those are kinda lame.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

They haven't hit 300,000 yet. :smith:

Looks like there's a good chance they will. Hopefully. Maybe.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Got my copy of Tingle from gamedealdaily! You guys weren't kidding about the box, jeez. Kiiiiinda wish it wasn't the German version so I could actually read the box and manual but whatever, game's English enough for me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

You only got a German manual? Usually they're in multiple languages here, since the carts use whichever language the console is set to.

Comparison between EU 3DS game cases, NA DS game cases and EU DS game cases:

Thankfully we get nice slim cases for 3DS games.

It's in German, French and Dutch. All the stuff says "assembled/printed in Germany" so I just said German version.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I really want to be excited for a new Yoshi's Island but I've been burned by "the sequel to Yoshi's Island!" twice before so I'm erring on the side of caution this time.

New Zelda on the other hand is something I need right the gently caress now

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Hey there, DS game collectors! Is your collection missing something? Are you absent a particular genre? I bet that genre is "cookbook". Well then, check your local Best Buy's clearance rack/bin/whatever, because you could probably buy America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking for $1!

As you can tell from this poorly-modified terrible camera photo, for about a buck, you can learn up to 300 Top Recipes (tm)! That's 1/3rd of a penny per recipe! HOLY poo poo!

(The website still has the game listed at $9.50, your local stores may vary)

I bought this for $5 a long time ago it's a pretty alright cookbook for your Nintendo game thing!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

How does that Street Fighter garbage keep managing to sell I mean it's all the same poo poo you just punch dudes right

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I love the original DS. The speakers are like twice as loud as the 3DS XL which I still don't understand.

Yeah god I loving love the fatty DS's speakers and it bums me out every time Nintendo releases a handheld with speakers that aren't as good. It's the only handheld that lets you hear Kirby Super Star Ultra without being in a totally silent room (seriously why the gently caress did they make that game so quiet).

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

njsykora posted:

No, but you're better off using it to get a feel for the game then getting the sequel when it comes out.

It's been a while since I played the demo (and I still haven't bought the full game yet) but I'm preeeeetty sure they had some kinda carry over mechanic in it. Whether it was just your party or everything I'm not sure.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, crazy how things work out when you blindly buy stuff without learning a thing about it

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I have a mutant power where all 3D always works perfectly and never messes me up, even with the Virtual Boy. Basically I'm the coolest X-Man. Biclops.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Also keep in mind that in Swapnote specifically, Streetpass only works with people on your friends list so you can't sent pictures of your junk to strangers. Everywhere else it's just whoever has the game.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

I was thinking about going axes first but the switch axe seems to be a horror to handle for a new player.

There's a big ol' Monster Hunter thread that can help out with beginner stuff and answer any questions you may have. It's a cool game don't give up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538945&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

It's technically not very impressive but the art style goes a long way towards making me not care.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME
I just bought it this morning for $39.99

If it's any consolation it's totally worth $40

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bowser's Inside Story is the best of the series. Superstar Saga is good but definitely flawed, and Partners in Time put me off enough that I haven't even finished it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I've had my system since launch and haven't had any sort of problem with the SD card.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I'm just gonna go to bed and buy it tomorrow like a normal person!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo just look at that pedigree behind them. How did I never know about 8-4 until now?!

They have a pretty decent podcast too. They're good people.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Here's video of the games: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/software/built-in/miiplaza/meikyu/#id=movie006

Mansion looks kinda cool. RPG where you create the dungeon layout with Tetris pieces :stare:

Oh man gimme that Streetpass shmup.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Steel Diver's an okay game. Not terrible but it had no business being a $40 retail product. I could see if working as a weird lil free to play thing if they flesh out the concept a bit more.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You wake up one morning and you see out of the corner of your eye a polygonal Iwata head hovering you as he tells you there's a new Chibi Robo for the 3DS. He then leaves as quickly as he came.

Dang I want this tiny cleaning robot game give it up reggie

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

The thing I kinda worry about with VB games on the 3DS is that it's all red on a black background and the 3DS has some nasty ghosting in dark areas with the 3D on. But yeah I'd love a fully functional version of VB Wario Land or Teleroboxer that's actually portable instead of Virtual Boy portable.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 5, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It looks like I can slide my fingernail under the XL's casing and rip the thing off if I wanted. Not sure what is actually holding it down.

Give it a try!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

God drat if anyone ever needs proof that gamers are the most easily upsettable autistic babies just refer them to the last two pages of people crying over video game fairy voice samples and optional help prompts and tutorials

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Kid Icarus Uprising is still the best drat game on the system.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm catching up on my DS library, am I missing anything critical from the list below?

Retro Game Challenge is a must have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I would love to buy this game without hearing anything else about it, thanks!

Yeah man, information/opinions about the game are pretty scarce. You really have to dig for it in weird places, like the top of this page.

• Locked thread