Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hobo Siege posted:

What's the general consensus on Unchained Blades? I know EO4 is coming out soon, but the aesthetic of that series has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Apparently it was punishingly hard and had a stupid gimmick involving the moods of your companion monsters that you have no way to predict making it purely guesswork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Does the screen protector have to be Hori? In Taiwan, I found MORI screen protectors. They're Japanese, but I know nothing else about them. Also, one offers fingerprint protection, but I wonder if it actually does anything.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

noirstronaut posted:

This is one of those times wherein you realize you bought a knock off.

Well, I didn't buy it yet, just curious if it would have that big of an impact.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Quidnose posted:

Am I the only person who is really enjoying NSMB2? I know it had kind of a meh response when it released in this thread but I think it's fun as poo poo. I didn't play NSMB Wii, haven't played the original NSMB in maybe 4 or 5 years, and don't have a WiiU so I haven't played the new one, but in terms of a decent traditional Mario fix that has a ton of fun throwbacks to the old games, I really like it. Probably as much as I enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land when I first grabbed that. And I even like trying to beat my scores in Coin Rush!

It's a perfectly fine game. It's just more of the same, but that isn't to say it isn't well polished. If you want a 2D platformer, you can't really go wrong. A lot of people felt burned out on the series, though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NSMB2 is easily the best 2D platformer on 3DS, not that there's a whole lot of competition. DKCR 3D will be the go-to recommendation once it's out, though, unless they manage to gently caress it up somehow.

This has been my favorite platformer for decades and if they screw it up again I will be full of so much impotent rage.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sarchasm posted:

You're thinking of the original game. The 3DS is getting Donkey Kong Country Returns, which is the Retro developed Wii title from 2011 or so. As far as I know the original game isn't coming to the 3DS anytime soon.

Well, I meant the series in general. I know it's not a remake of the original.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just got an XL and I don't cramp up nearly as bad as I did on the original. It's much nicer to hold for extended periods of time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess I don't get the point of releasing the system in multiple different colors. Is that really a selling point to people? Like, if they can't get it in a certain color or design, they just won't buy the system?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I live in Taipei and I haven't gotten a single Taiwanese Streetpass. Every Streetpass I get is from a Japanese tourist.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, I don't think the 3DS has penetrated the market very much here. I see them for sale, but I never see people playing them. I have to wonder if the inability to pirate games for it has hurt its sales. The DS Light is still pretty popular because of the R4.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's also that upcoming Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei crossover on the horizon. As a big fan of SRPGs, I'm sitting pretty right now with Devil Survivor Overclocked, Fire Emblem, and Ghost Recon. Those three games have a ton of content and hours of gameplay between them. Plus, there are a bunch on the horizon like we've mentioned. The 3DS is already better off than the original DS.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Artix posted:

That's for Wii U, actually.

Oh well that's heartbreaking. I just assumed that since the main series games are on the 3DS, the crossover would be too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just hit start and skip all the battle animations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
But I don't need to see the battle animations a million times on fast forward.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's not really a JRPG. It's got more in common with traditional western RPGs like Wizardry I thought.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Supercar Gautier posted:

The claim of handhelds dying is mostly made by non-gamers who aren't fully aware of the distinction between a $1 iPhone game and a $40 AAA title, aside from the price. "A game is a game is a game" is an understandable assumption, but not really accurate.

There's a Penny Arcade from a year or more back where Gabe says something about judging who is happier, the guy with one $40 game or the guy with forty $1 games. Having not played a lot of $1 games, it felt like a fair point. Now that I've experienced the breadth of mobile gaming, I'll stick to $40 games with actual studios and budgets behind them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

I have an obscure 3dsXL question that I hope someone can answer. I live in Taiwan and I want to buy an XL, but it seems that Taiwan has their own region lock. If I buy locally, is there some way to access the foreign e-shop? Or would I be stuck with whatever is on Taiwan's e-shop? For that matter, if I imported one from NA, would it change its region to Taiwan if I used it here, or could it access NA?

I gotta get my Monster Hunter fix.

If you aren't adverse to buying online through yahoo.com.tw, you can get an imported 3DS XL. It'll cost a fair chunk more than it would in a store in America, but the price includes international shipping, so it's not horrible. I think it ended up being cheaper than importing through Playasia. The real appeal to me was that I could set up the charging to get a monthly interest free bill that I could pay at 7-11 which severely lessened the blow of the total cost.

I have zero issue accessing the NA eshop in Taiwan and that's how I plan to do most of my purchases. If you have a NA credit card, it shouldn't be an issue. Assuming you're a foreigner in Taiwan, you probably don't even have a local credit card.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Mario Kart is awesome. Who the hell wouldn't want that game?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly, this guy sounds like he's in the market for an OUYA.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

katkillad2 posted:

Obligatory Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars suggestion. You can find it incredibly cheap since it was a launch game. The guy who made the original X-Com had a hand in the game and to date it's still one of my favorite games on the 3DS.

This. I finally figured out there was an option to speed up animations and it's made the game way more playable.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strange Quark posted:

Is there a list of all the regions covered by each region lock, i.e. what regions you could set under a particular region's settings? In Taiwan, I've gotten two tags from Japan and one from Taiwan (which Streetpass Plaza didn't have a map for :lol:). I'm guessing both of those would fall under a Japanese 3DS?

I've had my 3DS for months and have only ever gotten two Taiwan Streetpasses in Taipei. I have dozens of Japanese ones though. Either no one is setting it up here, or no one is buying them. Most people on the MRT seem to be too in love with their goddamn smart phones to bother with an actual console, though I do see the occasional PSP.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I live outside of the US and have a hard time getting US region games, so having constant access to the eShop even if it's more expensive than a cart is a godsend.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Go ahead and try it, but I'm among those who do not get the hype and thought the gameplay was awful.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Philthy posted:

Why? They figured most people already owned a 3/DSiXL system and that charger works with the 3DSXL already. It's just a cost cutting move, nothing more.

Blame Europe because there's no law mandating an electronic device be sold with a charger. That's why Nintendo can get away it, and you'd expect them to because they're a for profit business. In the US there is so Nintendo includes it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Anatharon posted:

What didn't you like about it? Difficulty?

I just never got the hang of controlling two screens at once. It felt like I'd never be able to give adequate attention to anything that was happening. A lot of people said just to ignore one of the screens, I forget which, but then it made me question why bother playing a game with two screen combat if I'm just supposed to ignore one of them.

To be fair, I never got very far into it because there were so many other games to play at that point that I didn't feel like struggling through the learning curve until I got the hang of it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've never played Super Mario Land. Is it any good?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's a 3DS title right?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mammal Sauce posted:

Super Mario 3D Land is a 3DS game. Super Mario Land is a Game Boy game available for purchase on the 3DS eShop.

Yeah, I know. I meant, is it on the 3DS eShop. I wouldn't want Smash Brothers because I don't have a Wii or WiiU.

And I love how after it boots up there's just one choice.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am way more likely to agonize over a $1-5 purchase than a $50 one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If nothing else my Gold reward has taught me that I am really bad at classic Mario gameplay.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

VanillaKid posted:

I've never played the original Mario Land, so I got that and beat it in one sitting. Activity Log says I played for 36 minutes and I died maybe three times.

I am so bad at Mario.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm going to use it to finally get Mario Kart.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Got my $30 today. Finally picked up Mario Kart 7. Oh how I've missed you Mario Kart.

Edit: And the Donkey Kong that's available as a rewards option is supposed to be a no brainer right if you've never played it?

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 18, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think it depends entirely on how fast it can swap passes out. If three people walk by simultaneously, will it be able to swap through them before the last guy is out of distance?

Edit: Never mind, I get what you are saying. When I walk by, the most I can get is one pass from that relay.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, that's why I didn't get what the complaint was. In some theoretic geometric puzzle, a handful of people could be passing by a single relay point either on foot or in cars and wouldn't be in range of each other as well, perhaps because they're on opposite sides of the mall or intersection. In that case, would you be able to hit the relay more than once or would you have to "break contact" with the relay and hit it again later to get a new pass?

The answer to this question is relatively pointless, but now I'm wondering.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Saoshyant posted:

The complaint seems to be that you are only getting one person per relay instead of multiple ones at once. Maybe they could do three per relay? Just enough to make it seem more exciting and not enough to reach someone's full plaza queue capacity.

Yeah, I get that. I was just wondering if there might be any caveats.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I definitely filled in a pre-buy survey for Fire Emblem.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I usually turn the 3D on just to check out what it looks like and then switch it off so I don't give myself a headache from accidentally creating ghost images every twenty seconds.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I got a nice zippered hardcase for my XL and just stick it in my backpack whenever I go anywhere. I've tried sticking it in my pockets, but it just doesn't work with things like keys and phones battling for space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mercury Crusader posted:

Don't expect to make any progress in the game by using standard JRPG combat conventions (i.e. don't expect to just mash "Attack" over and over again from one cutscene to the next).

It took me about 4 times out of the gate in Strange Journey before I was actually able to put together a party that didn't get immediately wiped. That's basically what I'm expecting when I finally get my hands on my copy of SMTIV.

• Locked thread