Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leofish posted:

I also should have done more research into Petit Computer, from the e-Shop, because I erroneously assumed they'd give you some pointers on this stuff, but apparently you're just thrown in and expected to figure BASIC out on your own after 15 years of not using it. It's not like I can't do it, but I was expecting a bit more hand-holding at first, for some reason. All I was able to create in 7th grade computer class all those years ago was some flimsy blackjack program that didn't include Aces because I couldn't figure out a way to make something have two different conditional values.
The ingame manual is pretty comprehensive, although it can be a bit clunky to load when looking up API calls. The example programs cover a pretty wide swath of the functions too. All things considered, I think its pretty easy to get into. Especially if you already have a little programming experience. Its like riding a bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You've played 999 already, right? That's probably the closest thing the DS has to a quality horror game. Off the top of my head there's also Dementium and Theresia, which are both pretty lovely in their own ways. There's also Nanashi no Game, didn't come out over here but there is an English patch for it. No clue if that ended up being any good though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pomp posted:

Nippon Ichi games are more or less for people who like getting really big numbers, and that's about it. They're rather shallow on every other front.
That's not really true, but Disgaea is the total polar opposite of Fire Emblem to be sure. In Disgaea the battles are an obstacle to be overcome, the real depth of the game is trying to manipulate the mechanics to avoid playing them as much as possible. Where as in Fire Emblem the battles are kind of the entire point.

So to answer Geektox's question, liking or disliking Disgaea doesn't really say much about whether you'll like other SRPGs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anything ulillillia likes is alright by me. Jumping Flash, Bubsy 3D, Disgaea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You should be bothered about Kid Icarus, its by far the best game on the 3DS (and to come out last year, period).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Kid Icarus is interesting and seems like a decent game. I'm not crazy about the control scheme but maybe it'll grow on me.
I am the biggest KIU fanboy out there, and even I'll agree the controls are kind of an obstacle. But that's more an issue with the ergonomics of the system than anything, I don't think the game would work with anything else short of a trackball or maybe a Wiimote.

I'd suggest spending some time in the options and finding some sensitivity/inertia settings that work for you, the defaults are a little too low for my taste. You really want to be able to flick the cursor across the screen to give the suggestion of a target rather than meticulously dragging it over enemies like you would a mouse.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Serenity Dove posted:

Regarding KI, I found the controls for the flight sections perfect but the ground sections are what give me problems. They're not too bad but I'm finding on levels with lava, etc, I often find myself trying to dodge an enemy projectile and hurtling into a hot fiery bath instead. Perhaps that's just me but I find the ground controls lack finesse. It just seems clunky. Or maybe I'm poo poo at the game who knows. :v:
If you're unsure of your footing, use the invincibility frames of your dodge animation to dash forward, through the attack, rather than to the side.

Personally, the ground battles are the thing about Kid Icarus that really grabbed my attention. I guess they call these things "character action games" nowadays, but whatever you want to call them, KIU is probably one of the most finely crafted one of those. Up there with Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

The controls in Kid Icarus Uprising take some getting used to but once you do they're fine unless you are a child or unfortunate enough to be left handed. The ground levels are super fast paced and on the higher difficulties you need to be pretty precise and make a lot of quick actions. The only alternate control setup that could have preserved the way the combat feels is keyboard+mouse and, well, it's not like the game was ever going to come out on PC. Like, a Wii Remote or a dual analog controller would have "worked" technically but the lack of precision and speed in those control methods would have made the game lose a lot of what makes it cool in the first place.
I honestly wish there was a level like Ring of Chaos earlier in the game, because it wasn't really until that point that I got a firm understanding of the mechanics of the game and what exactly they were trying to accomplish. Of course, that might have lessened the impact of stripping away all of Pits ancillary bullshit and laying the game bare for the brawler that it really is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It does have Circle Pad Pro support specifically for lefties, if you want to go that route.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Yes, buy the XL.
This should be the title of the thread.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you actually want it to be portable sure, but most people in these threads don't take their handhelds outside of the house. The XL is more comfortable and the 3D effect looks a little better on the bigger screen, provided you don't care about how huge it is.

ebeaten

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

Does the Eshop charge for tax? Is it state dependant? Can you cheat your 3DS to set it somewhere like Alaska to avoid it?
Yes and yes. Delaware is another good one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The SAME 3DS, though? If I lose my 3DS or it gets stolen or whatever I can't just move the backed up purchased digital games, right?
Everything is locked to your hardware. If anything happens to that piece of hardware you are totally SOL.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lbeuol posted:

Thanks to this suggestions and help from this thread, I managed to pick up a screaming deal on a XL locally. But it has a bunch of the previous owner's info, are there any special way to reset all the data without bricking it? TIA!
You can just wipe the system, but check to see if the dude made any purchases first. Wiping it will delete all those potentially free games, and ambassador status if he had that too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's assuming Iga's ever been in the pool to begin with.

I'm pretty sure dude thinks he's a Belmont.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The EO4 demo might be the first to justify its 30 play limit, its so huge! They essentially give you the entire game to gently caress around in, just with your characters capped to level 10. Easily 5 hours or so worth of content.

Anyone remotely interested in EO should give that demo a download.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jtm33 posted:

What RPG-like games would you folks recommend here? I already have Tales of the Abyss, but I am struggling to find any other appealing options. I am open to looking into pretty much any game, I just noticed a lack of RPGs I own on this system so far.
I think you can pretty much count the number of RPGs on one hand right now. Off the top of my head, Tales of the Abyss, Denpa Men, Crimson Shroud, Devil Survivor, and Fire Emblem. Denpa Men I haven't played beyond the demo, seems like it leans very heavily on street passing and searching for wireless hotspots. Crimson Shroud is amazing if you have any sort of reverence for tabletop RPGs, but might be a little tedious if not. Devil Survivor and Fire Emblem definitely lean more towards the Strategy RPG end of things, but they clearly wear their RPG influences on their sleeve. Particularly Devil Survivor, which plays like a regular SMT game in all respects other than moving parties around on an isometric grid.

Kind of lean right now, but there are some decent games on the horizon. Etrian, Soul Hackers, Pokemon, etc.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Thinking of picking up Kid Icarus. How painful is that game on people's hands? I have a regular 3DS for the record, and I'm wondering if I can do anything to make the controls more comfortable.
Depends. How big are your hands, and how strong are your wrists? Try holding the 3DS with your left hand, using the circle pad and the trigger, while poking at the screen with the stylus in your right. If you can do that for hours on end, congrats you can play KIU! If not, well, bear with it and play KIU anyway, because that game is amazing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NOE subbed the JP Animal Crossing Direct video, so check it out if you have ~45 minutes to spare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxxZLdJOQs8
Wow, these people are insane, like seriously mentally ill. I love it. The director's "I Love Sushi" exhibit at the museum that was really just an aquarium, the designer's Tom Nook stalker shrine, and the amazingly detailed art classroom are all incredible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yeah if you own a 3DS and don't already know for a fact that you'll be buying Animal Crossing I don't really know what to say to you.
Seriously

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VarrosAnon posted:

Someone should just make a new Multiplayer 3DS thread and not do any of that database poo poo. Just do "Hey, I wanna play Mario Kart 7. Anyone else wanna play Mario Kart 7? Add me at 55555555555 and post your number so I can add you too."

That way we get a lot more people looking at the thread when they want to play 3DS games with other goons (why they do I have no idea.) I only use the Swapnote thread when I want to share dick pics. :colbert:
There is the #nintengoons channel on SynIRC, that's probably a better place to look for games than a general purpose 3DS Multiplayer thread I think. Most of the old Kid Icarus crew seems to hang out in there, anyway.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Edoraz posted:

Please tell me there is a higher res version of this picture.
If there was, it would already be my avatar :v:

I did find this gallery of all a lot of the covers looking for that, though. Don't click if you want to be surprised obviously, but the art is hilarious.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 16, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, I broke down and bought KIU at my nearest Best Buy. With a price like that, the game was practically a steal. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've had absolutely no problems with the controls, Air battles or Land battles. No cramps or pain of any sort. I just adjusted the sensitivity a bit (why are the initial settings so slow?), and I was good to go. Heck, I found that the stand just gets in my way sometimes, easier for me to not use it. Is there anything I should really know about this game?
No, not really, the game is pretty straightforward for the most part. I guess, don't be afraid to check out weapon fusion whenever. They really throw loot at you like crazy, and fused weapons are generally better than drops once you figure out the basic principles. Fusion is honestly kind of an entire game to itself, its a ton of fun to compress a stack of loot into one super-weapon with all the points in your favorite places.

And yeah, I'm totally with you that the default settings are way too slow. I could see that being the cause for a lot of the control complaints right there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This is probably the coolest customisation I've seen so far:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :aaaaa:

This loving game man, that's incredible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Some people aren't concerned with min/maxing everything like a supersperg, and not resetting makes the optional content you do see that much more precious. Fire Emblem is a series about finality and permanence when it comes right down to it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

Minor Plot Spoilers for the general plot of almost every fire emblem game
I thought it was a series about destroying another nation that had suddenly decided to invade your kingdom and then destroying the shadowy force behind that nation.
Sounds pretty final to me :colbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Big Whoop posted:

Picked one of these up brand new at Target for 80 bucks. I have Dream Drop Distance and the new Kid Icharus game. Any other goon suggestions? I'm not that big of a Mario fan.
Also, the AR on this thing is SICK. One of the coolest things I've seen (when it works). Are there any games that actually utilize the AR or is it just one of those gymicky things that no one is developing for?
Kid Icarus uses AR for its idol cards and I hear Tetris Axis has some kind of 3D AR tetrisphere mode. Those are the only games off the top of my head that use cards. Then there's Denpa Men, that Pokemon game, and the infamously lovely Spirit Camera that do the Face Raiders camera and gyro stuff.

Not a whole lot of AR going on. I don't know, its gimmicky but I thought AR Games was pretty cool. Particularly that golf one. I could use another one of those.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 19, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you like platformers, there's a couple of really good Kirby games on the DS. Canvas Curse in particular was like the one game that really justified the DS, and it still holds up nicely.

Also, you can't beat Drill Dozer on the GBA. Best game on the system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quidnose posted:

I am bad at Monster Hunter. Anyone have any tips for a nublet starting out to not suck?
The biggest hurdle to new players in Monster Hunter is not mashing the buttons, it might not look it but MH is essentially a multiplayer co-op fighting game and you kind of need to treat it like that to do well. Pretty much everything you can do in the game is associated with a long, deliberate animation, and its your job to determine when things are and are not safe to use. That mostly just comes down to experience, unfortunately. The full game is really good about progressively easing you in with more and more difficult quests so you can spend a lot of time mastering the particulars of your favorite weapon.

I think now that the Souls games are a thing, Monster Hunter stands a chance of being way more popular. Mechanically they are very similar and I think they would appeal to a lot of the same people.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Maybe I missed it a few pages back, but is Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed any good? I was holding out for the 3DS version, but I don't think I've heard anything about it which probably isn't a good sign.
Just check out this video, it looks like complete rear end. http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-3ds/2300-7039/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There are shockingly a bunch of great puzzle games on DSiWare, actually. Check out the Art Style games, particularly the loving amazing Digidrive. Link 'n' Launch is another good one, developed by Pushmo's very own Intelligent Systems.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I haven't followed the 3ds much, but with Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey 4, it now has stuff that I actually care about. Is there anything I should be buying besides the console and those two games? Like, do I need memory cards or some poo poo? Are there any sort of similar games I should be looking at? I mostly like tactical style games, or old-school style dungeon crawly stuff (enjoyed the first Etrian Odyssey). Is there a metroid/castlevania like game of the sort of I should be looking at? Always liked those too.
Nope, the console comes with everything you need. As far as tactical games goes, check out Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, designed by the dude what made X-Com, Julian Gollop. Also Devil Survivor Overclocked, a SRPG with all the sensibilities of a SMT game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Just got Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars and I know nothing about it.

Any basic advice I should know? I've always been more of a Fire Emblem girl but apparently this is similar though?
Give your stealth girl a knife, I'm sure you'll figure out the rest from there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

With the XL at least, if the scaling bothers you that much, the 1:1 mode is the same size as a DS Lite screen. It looks fine for most games, though. Some sprite-based games look a little muddy, but that's it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, it costs an assload of hearts to reconstitute or fuse Palutena's weapons, and you don't get much out of grinding them up. No big loss.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unoriginal posted:

I got a StreetPass today but sort of not. It lit up green and I got a new NSMB2 coin rush record, but no Mii showed up in the plaza. I think SpotPass stuff is always with a blue light and in the notifications it was grouped with another StreetPass from last month. Anyone know what happened?
Maybe they had Streetpass Plaza turned off, I think you can do that without disabling streetpass entirely, right?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sure, but no one talks about hard drive capacity in terms of sectors anymore. Nintendo's use of block is just an attempt to be charmingly anachronistic, like a rotary cell phone.

Quidnose posted:

I know this has been mentioned already, but I am really interested in seeing how the reviews for that new Castlevania game end up shaping out, because I cannot tell if this game is any good or not based on how awful this demo performs. It doesn't look like it would be a bad GoW clone by any means, but holy poo poo, I'm usually not one to notice terrible framerates, and if the first 30 seconds of the game had me going "wow this is performing TERRIBLY" there's something seriously wrong.

WHY WHY WHY do companies keep releasing awful demos? I know that it's probably easier to devote manpower to finishing the game if they already have a demo in place, but seriously, how is this supposed to entice me to get the product? What are they thinking here? First that Monster Hunter demo, now this? Get your act together, 3DS developers!
The MH demo was some bullshit they pulled out from TGS or E3 or something a couple years ago. Dunno anything about the Castlevania demo but it could be the same deal. Or the game is just garbage to begin with, wouldn't be surprised.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 5, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Len posted:

Was the ability to delete save data really a problem? I seem to recall people flipping their poo poo about it on release but I never understood why.
People thought the goddamn sky was falling and that Capcom was trying to start the anti-used-game apocalypse. When in reality it was just a score-attack arcade game and they didn't bother including a reset button.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dylan14 posted:

I've been debuting on if I should pick up the new Animal Crossing game. Younger me would have been all over it, but I'm not sure I would be now. Will the new one be like the GameCube version ?
Depends on what you like about the GameCube version honestly. Like, they're never going to put NES games back into AC and that makes it worse in my eyes. But New Leaf also has way more options for customizing your town and visiting other players.

The Japanese version came out months ago, so there's a ton of videos of it on Youtube, check out this dude's Animal Crossing Dream Diary and Video Journal videos, and here's some weird LP thing that shows some stuff off. The Nintendo Direct for New Leaf was pretty great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Danyull posted:

I've had my 3DS XL for quite a while and the only non regular DS games I have for it are OoT and Mario Kart 7. If there's one 3DS game I should get right now, what is it? I've heard a lot of good things about Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, but I've never played a game in those series. I've also looked at Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, but haven't really liked Harvest Moon since A Wonderful Life.
Kid Icarus was the greatest game of 2012, period.

• Locked thread