Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully whatever portable 3DS Zelda game they make will have normal controls, stylus only killed phantom hourglass and spirit tracks for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bpc908 posted:

Nintendo Really missed out on using Mario, Wario and Waluigi. Would've been a lot better than using a palette swapped Luigi

Hehe, look at this guy expecting any sort of :effort: from Nintendo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Resident Evil: I was planning on it eventually but now they're remaking this for consoles but also RE 6 was trash and I think I'm done with the series!

This was a mistake, Revelations is nothing like that pandering piece of poo poo that RE6 was, RE also has an A team and B team and the B team handled Revelations, probably why it ended up being so drat good, it actually feels like a horror game and raid mode is way better than mercs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StevenM posted:

Is Mario Tennis Open worth picking up if I haven't played a prior game in the series? If not, what other alternatives are there on the 3DS besides Tennis '89?

Not in the slightest, Mario Tennis the laziest piece of crap I have ever seen come from the Nintendo camp, the online is also garbage and full of quitters. I can elaborate a bit more on why its so bad but only if you wanna hear it.

And 89 is pretty much it. :(

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 28, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YggiDee posted:

Elite Beat Agents!

Please, god, I want more Elite Beat Agents... :smith:

Ouendan is what you want.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Because the controls are not actually that bad, just a little problematic, and the rest of the gameplay is great. Controls != the entire game, and the controls are only really problematic on the ground sections.

Which is half the game.

The other half being the flying sections.

The controls are beyond poo poo, its one thing that makes me wish homebrewing was possible on the 3DS just so someone could come up with non retarded controls. Its astounding the amount of games Nintendo has released that would work better without some stupid touchscreen or in the case of the Wii, motion crap.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stravinsky posted:

For those who are weaklings and can not handle holding your 3ds while playing KI, the game comes with a stand built specifically for that concern.

This old chestnut.

The stand is crap to and its basically the exclamation point on the horrible controls, Nintendo knew they where rear end but rather than re-designed them they just packed a cheap plastic stand.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can always buy the transparent kit and put it yourself.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saoshyant posted:

I would go digital if Nintendo was competent at it, but personally I don't think so. I have, without exaggeration, over 300 games on Steam. Three hundred. I'm all for digital. But we are talking about buying AAA games at $7.50 or cheaper in half a year of their release with the ability of playing them in any bloody system I have, past or future. It's a very different reality, to the point I couldn't imagine myself going digital with the 3DS (or the Wii U, if I ever get one) any time soon because there's no value to it.

I'd go digital with Nintendo if they had an account system set up, as it stands if my 3DS gets stolen I lose everything, its the primary reason I haven't bought any retail releases on their shop.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sarchasm posted:

As I understand, the DS Castlevanias posted smaller returns with each new installment, so in a way they're right.

Konami iterated on Castlevania too fast and reused too many assets and wound up burning out the audience. Just another in the long list of series that Konami has mismanaged into oblivion!

As much as I liked Portrait, I hated that the last 4 portraits where the first 4, just mirrored.

What's really funny about this whole thing is that Harmony of Despair was quite popular and well received thus proving there is still a market for the 2D stuff.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"Popular and well-received" doesn't mean poo poo if people still aren't buying, and in HD's case it was far less well-received than any of the handheld games. Harmony of Despair was IGA's last big tilt at Castlevania and it didn't perform, so he's gone, probably for good.

Still well enough to warrant the extra content we got with the 8 bit stages and the new characters.

Plus while I don't have any sales numbers, I'm not really sure what kind of sales Konami was expecting for a game that was nothing but re-used assets, the fact that it did as well as it did is impressive.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They also cancelled some DLC due to lack of demand, so it's not really much of an indicator.

You also have to remember that HD came off the back of a whole bunch of IGA-led console games that underperformed (Lament of Innocence/Curse of Darkness) or straight-up flopped (Nano Breaker, Judgement), so when Lords of Shadow did well I guess they figured he'd had enough chances.

Those games where pretty poo poo though, both 3D Vanias suffered from severe repetitiveness problems, Nano Breaker was just CV in another outfit and showed he didn't learn a thing from the problems with his 3D vanias and Judgement was just a mediocre fighting game with a horrible art style that turned people off in a hurry.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I wish I didn't hate the EO art style because I love everything else about the game but picking my characters always descends into a game of "who do I hate the least?"

The portrait of one of the status effect classes is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. Of course I had to go with her.

One of the dancer is sprites is just eghhh :stare:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Had no interest in EO4, now I want to buy 2 copies for me and my brother, wow this game is loving awesome.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also, on a completely unrelated note, here's the first Sayonara Umihara Kawase trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_I58QoqsE0

I could swear I've seen that game on the SNES...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If that demo was supposed to sell me on Project X Zone it did a very bad job.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Stuff about Smash levels

This kind of poo poo will never cease to amaze me, people are given tools to make a bunch of neat stuff, and the first thing that goes through their mind is making a huge cock, a swastika, horse dicks, creampied pussies, its just so retarded.

Though Ninty shutting down Swapnote like that is just super dumb, they really have no loving idea about social networking and the net in general, it does not give me any hope for them bettering their infrastructure.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mcpringles posted:

So why are people buying the Zelda bundle and selling the download code? Is there an issue with playing your games off the SD? I don't get my 3ds for another week but I was planning to go digital for most games.

Maybe they're just not interested in the Zelda game.

I bought the bundle today and have had no issues.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

Anyone have a 3DS club nintendo code they'd like to get rid of? I just got Zelda, but my 3DS was second hand and didn't come with a code. I'd be willing to throw a few bucks your way or trade some games.

For the 3DS itself?

I'm interested, but you don't have PMs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly man, if you really wanna know what happened in P1 or 2, just read a synopsis. P1 is just terrible all around and has aged like milk, P2 has a very strong narrative but the gameplay is terrible and downright hair pulling at times.

P3 is all right but the main dungeon gimmick is extremely tiresome, its 250+ floors of the same thing, same music, slightly different lay-outs punctuated by a boss occasionally, its has a good narrative but again, the gameplay gets boring, and unless you intend to play Persona 3 portable, the A.I teammates will piss you off more than once.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Yea all this is on my Vita and 3DS

I assume the SMT games that haven't been mentioned are purely for the superfans?

Then you should be fine.

Do the female MC in P3, the story just plays out better.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone played that Sengen Kagura Burst game?

I just noticed in eshop, youtube leads me to believe its a cheesecake heavy anime game, I'm mostly intrigued because it seems to play like a side scrolling beat em up.

Reviews seem to put it on the above average scale.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The blue shell in 64 could also get stuck on things or even break, the current one is an omnipotent all seeing eye that WILL find you and hit you.

The 3DS one at least travels along the ground now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Aw man, Rune Factor 4 was awesome.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psyker posted:

I used to roll my eyes at Nintendo and their aversion to online play, but the more I listen to Nintendo Direct, read interviews with Reggie, and watch their general marketing it kind of hit me:

Nintendo does not want an end to the comfort and social aspect of playing games face to face with your friends. There's just something to be said for playing Smash at a party or hangout with people in close proximity laughing and 'holy poo poo'ing your play. There's a lot to be said sitting around on a couch with a friend or two hunting monsters. Playing online anonymizes the experience and, frankly, dumbs it down.

Should they avoid it entirely though? Nah. They should continue building multiplayer games around the live social aspect, but add online support for those who don't or for times when you can't.

It's still very jarring coming from an xbox or Sony console mindset where there is no emphasis on live social interaction, and frankly the atmosphere in most games is toxic and offputting.

Nintendo, to me, is about fun, games, and having fun while playing games. I think Nintendo might be one of the only publishers to still understand that.

What about the people that don't have the capabilities to play face to face? I'd kill to be able to play something like 3D world with my brother but can't because Nintendo won't let me.

As for the whole atmosphere thing, you have a myriad of tools to block/ignore the majority of shitheads so that's no excuse.

extra stout posted:

Do you think it's something Nintendo is working on or are they just genuinely dumb enough to think that you can take steam, but make it so all of someone's games are deleted when their device breaks or is stolen, and people will still jump on board? Or are we the dumb ones because Nintendo did research and found out more customers will buy games twice than not buy any at all?

The upcoming 3DS Miiverse will have no friend request or messaging capabilities, that should tell you all you need to know on Nintendo and the internet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Blackgate game is legitimately good, I was incredibly surprised, I expected a weak cash-in but its really loving good, better than the console version I feel.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pokemon has got to have the shittiest, dumbest, most laziest implementation of streetpass I have ever seen, the wonder house in Gold/Silver was better than this garbage and that was back during the gameboy era.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Most everything you'd expect to be a Streetpass feature actually happens online, so in that respect they probably made the right decision for everyone who isn't Japanese.

One pokemile per streetpass is a loving joke.

Or again, something like the wonder house, you go in and fight a trainer you streetpass using his team.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://kotaku.com/1980s-luigi-actor-dies-at-72-1475986590

Actor who played Luigi in the live action show has passed away, in the year of Luigi no less.

The universe sure likes its cruel jokes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone but Falco is the same, the lines are also delivered in the same silly ways.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pomp posted:

I have 40 bucks to blow, and I can't decide between Zelda, Rune Factory or Pokemon. I haven't liked Zelda games since Windwaker, as my tastes have changed and they're just too easy for me now. Same goes with Pokemon, but it lets me catch cute things.

Rune Factory is basically Zelda x Harvest Moon, but is it challenging in any way?

I haven't enjoyed a zelda since WW either, and I find link between worlds to be the best zelda in years, its fantastic.

Rune Factory is semi-challenging, it really boils down to your preparation prior to dungeons, also farming.

Pokemon has the most significant changes in the franchise and is a really drat good game.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dec 19th is the day everyone needs to mark on their calendars, SoR1 AND Shinobi III.

Probably the 2 best Genesis titles ever made.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Call me when we get 3D E-Swat.

Arcade version was better than the console one.

And 3DS miiverse won't have friend requests or messaging capabilities so it seems very pointless to me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

So I went a little overboard because EB had a B2G1 deal on DS/3DS games and nabbed 999, FF Theatrhythm, Inside Story, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Layton and the Unwound Future.

For Castlevania, order doesn't particularly matter right? Trigger warning: this would be my first proper castlevania game, so lemme know if I should go somewhere else first.

And I never played a Professor Layton game but I checked and the one I picked up is 3rd in a trilogy, do I need to go and play the other two beforehand?

Order doesn't matter, Ecclesia is basically a non-game anyway in the timeline.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can reach just reach 10, open the 3DS up, greet those 10, play with them, rinse repeat right?

I got 77 at a convention once, it was pretty cool.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea controls ruined KI for me.

If you like RPG's, both Etrian Odyssey titles are amazingly fun.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oxsnard posted:

So what notable non-JRPGs can we expect in the next 3-4 months? Love me some JRPGs from time to time but it seems like these are the biggest third party releases recently. Anything in particular people are amped about?

Absolutely nothing unless you're hyped for old Genesis games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its worst for people who don't have a Nintendo zone. :smith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psyker posted:

You don't have a Starbucks or Home Depot around?

No to the first, yes to the second but it doesn't have a Nintendo zone thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looks I do have some zones, but they're 50 miles away.

• Locked thread