Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mammal Sauce posted:

Super Mario Land 2 aged far worse than the original and its platforming physics are all kinds of floaty and horrible. It honestly feels more like Super Mario Men 5 from a 400-in-1 Famiclone cart than an actual Mario game. Good music though.

I could not disagree more here. SML2 is a fantastic game with good platforming and some weird, crazy and unique levels and fun secrets - I think it honesty might have aged better than SM3: Wario Land.

The original SML isn't terrible, I still load it up every once in a while but it seriously only takes like a half an hour to beat and the physics are really wonky (there doesn't seem to be any inertia at all). It's definitely still worth playing, since the final boss is a giant alien that you kill while flying a bi-plane and the music is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Just popping in to say that after six months of not playing my 3DS at all (Sticker Star kinda soured me on it for a while), the eShop deal made me go out and grab FE:A and SMT4 in one fell swoop and now I can't put the drat thing down to save my life. PXZ is great too, if only because I can push buttons and watch sprites do flashy things while giant numbers fly around the screen. Sometimes, after a rough day at work, that's exactly what I want to waste my time with. Don't judge.

And hey, to the dude playing 999 above - keep with the game. Keep track of what doors you go through, make sure you don't take the same route twice. In every room, it seems like each interactable item is used to solve a puzzle, right? Except...that's not quite true, is it? Seriously, stick with it, each subsequent playthrough will take you less and less time. I beat the 'good' ending path (not the true ending path) in a single lunch break when I was hooked on it. Easily one of the best handheld games ever made.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Blah. I'd own literally most of the 3DS Virtual Console catalog by now if Nintendo didn't price things quite so ridiculously. Honestly, I already own almost every game that I'd grab there, all that I'm paying for is the convenience of playing them without digging up/hooking up my NES/GBA SP/whatever...but that's not worth five bucks. In some cases it's ESPECIALLY egregious - I love SMB2 but there's no way in hell I'm paying five bucks for it when they've released updated remakes for not one but TWO different systems already.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm kind of flabbergasted that you guys seem unaware of how many chargers DO handle voltage conversions. I think my Nintendo handheld chargers are literally the only ones I own that don't. Even the Vita charger handles up to 240v.

Sarchasm posted:

Seriously, gently caress Nintendo for not including an American to Israeli voltage converter in the base package. Everybody needs one! It's just common sense!

It's not just Israeli, you idiot, most of the world uses 240v.

E: it's still pretty stupid to plug something in in a foreign country without checking the specs, though. They're printed on the charger for a reason.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 16, 2013

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RStar posted:

Am I the only one who didn't love Fire Emblem? I enjoyed Etrian Odyssey and SMT4 far more, and this is coming from a guy who's favorite genre is srpg's.

Once I used those orbs that level up your character class to the better classes, I just quit caring. I'm assuming you can just keep leveling up to 10 and then using them and there's some sort of bonus for that?

I don't know. It must be a lot deeper than I saw it to be, because I just don't get the love for it.

The older ones were harder because you had a lot more scarcity to deal with - the first one released in English didn't have extra maps to grind on or extra always-available shops to buy new weapons when your poo poo broke. Plus, you had a total of 40 possible experience levels per character, none of this multiple-reclassing poo poo. This meant the game was really finicky and difficult at parts if you wanted to do everything and keep everyone alive.

FE:A mitigates all these problems (which I think is a great thing, really) but in doing so removes the vast majority of the challenge in the game. You can Second Seal units over and over again for ridiculous stat gains really early in the game, and all of the challenge maps dump cash on you. Combine that with the ability to trigger a fight anywhere for a measly 500 gold and the game is just completely trivial. It just kind of exposes that without all of the annoyances and seeming restrictions on the prior entries, the game is pretty shallow overall.

I'm still having a blast with it, personally - it's a great game to just chill and play while watching TV or whatever. I never would have been able to do that in the GBA entries.

• Locked thread