Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Louisgod posted:

I've put 25 hours into it so far and am really, really struggling to see where the serious good is in it. I just left a town that was sinking or something so my team could go get a flying ship they heard about in passing on another continent. Yes, leave this sinking city to come back hours later and hope that people are still alive. I love the Tales games but Jesussss Abyss is a wreck. I'll go play it now and hope that something remotely fun happens.

They are leaving cause the town is doomed. Please don't tell me that there are characters that believe they can save those people who are sinking into like... miasma. I must be remembering the dialog wrong. You are almost at the point where Luke stops being a twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Call me a negative nancy, but I don't think we're going to see a Tales game on 3DS for a little while with the way Bandai Namco is going.

I guess wait till Smash. Even if it sucks, it will only sell like, a billion copies. :v:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

I wouldn't consider it an RPG since there's no character progression.

My guy looks way different rank 30 compared to rank 1.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Handgun Harlot posted:

Controls are the thing that makes video games active entertainment; if you only have graphics and sound and maybe a story, that's called a movie. If the one thing you have to interface with a video game is the controls, how can you possibly pretend it's not there? Like morale, it's only a topic that comes up when you have the sneaking suspicion that it's poo poo. A good game has controls so intuitive you barely notice what you're doing. A bad game makes you think about the controls.

No, KI just has controls that makes you sissies cry out in anger because your pussy hands can't hold a system and a stylus. :colbert: I didn't think of poo poo when I played the game, the whole way through. It's a good game, period, quit being little bitches and take breaks if your hands really aren't that strong.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

I gotta ask the thread something: in the EO4 demo, when you first get to the dungeon, and you had your 3D on... Did it make you feel crossed eyed for a second or three? It did me. Everything was literally popping out at me, so it took a second. Game is hella pretty, though.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Countblanc posted:

It definitely seems like poo poo unlocks pretty fast in Brain Age - just by doing everything once for two days I have half the devilish stuff and a bit of everything else. Numbers and words are the poo poo. Someone should make a thread so we can laugh at each other's progress when the game tells us we're all 20 years older than we actually are.

I'm...

35 years older than I am. :negative: A thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Karthe posted:

And Animal Crossing: New Leaf looks amazing! Thank god they decided to de-emphasize Nook's aggressive real estate practices and just let you enjoy being mayor of the town. :wotwot:

We had a lot of naysayers in here a while ago about the game, but I've been watching this guy's playthrough of the Japanese version of Animal Crossing, and uh, yeah, guys, it looks like a game worth picking up if you are into that kind of stuff. I was gonna pipe up then, but I decided "Who cares about them." :v:

Dear God, there is going to be a huge goon community for this game filling each other's towns with dong posters.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Ahahahahaha.

edit: It's good to see Freeza getting more screentime. I was wondering if he was really dead or not after the beginning of the Android saga.

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 14, 2013

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Please tell me there is a higher res version of this picture.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not really an issue since they recap everything you need to know in that game.

Thinking of picking up Kid Icarus. How painful is that game on people's hands? I have a regular 3DS for the record, and I'm wondering if I can do anything to make the controls more comfortable.

It's my favorite 3DS game and I religiously defend it. :colbert:

I mean, uh... Yeah, it's great! It'll probably take you like three missions to find a comfortable position to play, and you might have to take some breaks if you do long sessions.

just loving buy it

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 16, 2013

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Target is apparently price matching, also.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I'm sort of interested in an XL, but I hate the available colors. is there any reason to believe they'll offer new colors in the States in the next couple months?

Probably with the Animal Crossing release. It's gonna be white with polka dots, basically.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

How's the Castlevania demo, EU Goons? I've been slightly excited by the game since they released information on it, and it sounds pretty decent. I'm not expecting a full blown Metroidvania, but it sounds like it is taking some cues.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

I've heard the best way is to use a piece of clear tape on the screen protector on the edge to pull it up and lift it off. No idea if it works.

Works great, I used that trick to remove an air bubble on an already applied protector.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, Code of Princess would have been worth 20 bucks I think.

That sounds about right. Online play is kind of borked, too. Causes too much slowdown.

Also, holy crap that Castlevania demo is bad. I was kind of looking forward to the game thinking it will be similar to HoD on the GBA. Nope, nothing like it. It wishes it was a real Castlevania or Metroidvania game. I might play through it when it hits like, five bucks on Amazon.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I have never played a Harvest Moon game- is the 3DS game a good place to start?

Kind of. Better off trying Rune Factory 3, honestly. It's farming + action RPG.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

elf help book posted:

The promo code EMCYTZT3040 has been closed and is no longer active.

Wow, it's even still on the page.

Jeez, I literally just slipped into that one about an hour ago.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Welp, I've done it. I've just purchased an XL.

edit: Argh, Nintendo! What exactly is being conveyed by these gems dropping into an icon during the eShop download process? Can I just have a progress meter, please?

But the square is getting fuller! :downs: Oh look, it's the eShop icon guy, he's riding the gems how funny Americans will love this

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

bpc908 posted:

English Nintendo Direct Mini for Flipnote 3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhpsK-nk098

This sounds pretty great! I can't wait to make 3d animated dicks. :v:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

The demo was pretty fun, but man that bee level was annoying as gently caress. Hope those 'boss' levels are few and far between.

Funny, that is typical rhythmic gameplay right there. Question and answer. There seems to be a ton of those boss fights in the main game, if the multiple trailers are a thing to go by.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Laser Spider posted:

Regarding HarmoKnight itself, aside from what others have already said I really like the art style. If it looks like a comic strip made into a game, that's pretty much because it is; in the Iwata Asks interview about HarmoKnight, the earliest design documents were written as comics and had pretty much the same style as the game today. That interview also talks a fair bit about Game Freak's relatively open development process, which makes me wonder why they've done so few non-Pokémon games for over 15 years now.

It explains why in there. You are given three months to get a game going with two or so people, basically. If the idea is worth taking off, they give you a couple more people to help you out with, and three more months.

Game Freak also seems like the type of company that'd rather not show off betas and things. It's a Nintendo thing. They really don't like showing off half-bakes in any form.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

gently caress me

It also works in reverse if you have the option for animations set to off. Get a new guy? Get a new spell? Hold L to see.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Dragon Quest also doesn't have the balls to allow monsters to smash newbie players in the face with avoidable encounters. Wizardry doesn't like you playing it, Etrian Odyssey has the decency to let you know when danger is coming.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

The Donkey Kong Country games were kind of dark, but not in a angsty or evil way, just surreal.

Returns is majorly cartoony. It's probably how Nintendo really wanted the series to begin with. It just rubs you the wrong way, right?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

turnways posted:

If I were going to pick up a Resident Evil game for the 3DS, would you guys recommend Revelations or Mercenaries? I just want to shoot some zombies on the go.

Revelations for the real RE game on the go, Mercenaries for the arcadey 3rd person shooter action.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Why do enemies really matter in a Metroidvania anyways? You are gonna just blaze a trail straight through them, unless its like OoC where enemies were an actual threat.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Mechanically get better at manual saving.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

It's a clunky peripheral which was really only made for one game and it's half the price of a new game. Unless you really can't play Monster Hunter without it, all signs point to "skip".

A couple of underwater fights is all you need to feel the need for it.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

I still occasionally have to pay $20-25 for first-party GBA games.

Pokemon comes to mind with this. I think Emerald is still like... 30 bucks.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Not complaining, but they look like the morphing belts from Power Rangers.

I guess that is pretty cool, though. Creative.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

RebBrownies posted:

Bless you all for suggesting the Hori screen protector :worship:

e: No matter which way I hold my 3d I get a splitting headache, ah well I'm saving on battery life.

Just play till your eyes get tired, turn it off. Rinse and repeat and you should be fine playing in 3d period. It takes some time to adjust, it just doesn't come over night.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Cherokee Jack posted:

So today I bought my wife a 3DS XL, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and a $20 3DS card for her birthday. Do you think she'll like the Luigi game? She's not big into adventure games (Zelda) or platformers (except for Kirby games) but enjoys Nintendo Land's Ghost Mansion. Good choice? :ohdear:

Yeah, good choice. The game is much slower paced compared to Zelda games and most platformers. She'll probably love the actual adventure gameplay.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It's no consolation at all. :I I am really irrationally angry over $10.

Email nintendo?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

fount of knowledge posted:

I had no idea they were introducing an optional 'Story Mode" to the Etrian Odyssey remake, with premade characters and cutscenes. :stare:

It just feels so...odd to do that to a Wizardry-esque game.

Like a jRPG?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

What's the point of the Invite Mii option in the Streetpass Mii Plaza? I realized I had collected a bunch of Miis from New Leaf, but I can't seem to actually use them for anything.

They have a use now: in one of the Mii games, your starting army is based on how many Mii's you've met, online or off. It works the same way with others you Street pass. But yeah, overall useless, I guess.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I remember liking Donkey Kong 94' on Game Boy a lot when I was a kid, even though I sucked hard at it, does it still holds well?

Still one of the best puzzle platformers in existence.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

BambooEarpick posted:

So, maybe I'm just a fun-hater, but I am not really getting into the groove of Luigi's Mansion. Is there anyone else here who shares my sentiments or do I just don't understand what fun is?

I got to the second mansion and put it down about 2/3rds the way in. Its a good action adventure game, just not for me.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Former. It's based on the region that they have set on the 3DS.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

What also kind of worries and excites me is the items are on pedestals like in Four Swords Adventure. So not only is there a chance for the swapping mechanic, but possible multiplayer? I guess they would've announced that already.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

No, Dewgy, keep playing.

vvv Oh poo poo, you're right. Haha, I dunno why my mind substituted in 3D. Yeah, GB Mario Land is super short. vvv

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Can you expand on "NSMB soulless thing"?

The clean Super Mario Bros 3 feel.

edit: Talking about 3D Land, that is.

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 27, 2013

• Locked thread