Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Zest posted:

Remaking Majora's Mask would send a very large contigent of nintendo fans right over the drat moon, so I think it would be prudent, to say the least.

Good thing the moon would be coming to them :v:

But seriously, how Nintendo have not released an updated MM is beyond me, I guess they don't like warehouses full of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So, I've noticed something odd on my new 3DS XL. On the left side where I put my thumb on the circle pad, I can feel the back panel being loose. I have checked the back and everything is screwed in like it should be, but if I wanted to I could start creaking open the panel on that side if I wanted to. Is this just a known thing or do I have a defective (working) unit?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

If you got $20 and don't mind waiting for it to come in the mail a 32 GB card will make all of your dreams come true. Still waiting for mine (loving UPS).

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Yes get an XL. I had the original for a while but I couldn't see too well with it and sold it to a goon friend. Said "gently caress it" the other week and grabbed an XL and it's seriously 100 times better.

Also, regarding memory management; I found someone who has an idea on how to measure the blocks in terms of data but this is Yahoo Answers we are talking about so hopefully it's not too full of poo poo.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111021092012AAtDdX7

quote:

Each "Block" noted by the Wii & 3/DS/i is 0.125 MB or 256 KB.

That means...

8 Blocks = 1 MB
80 Blocks = 10 MB's
320 Block = 40 MB's (max for WiiWare titles)
400 Blocks = 50 MB's
800 Blocks = 100 MB's
1000 Blocks = 125 MB's (~0.125 GB)
2000 Blocks = 250 MB's (~0.25 GB)
4000 Blocks = 500 MB's (max storage for the Wii's internal storage)
8000 Blocks = 1000 MB's (~1.00 GB)

On the 3DS, the Nintendo Video app on the 3DS uses ~2500 Blocks for the 4 3D videos it has on it at any given time. Individual videos (like the Mario Kart 7 trailer) uses about 150 blocks.

As for the Wii, save game data must be stored in the Wii's internal storage, which is only 512 MB's... or roughly 4000 Blocks. However, you can archive MOST savegame data onto an SD card.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah, again, it's just some guy on Yahoo Answers but that's all I could really find.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Is there a G+N mode you can switch it to? I've currently got my router set up to that, 3DS talks to everything just fine and my N cards still get their full speeds.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Got my 3DS XL two weeks ago and registered, got the coins immediately after. Maybe try and contact them.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Make sure it's formatted to FAT32 and make sure when you are inserting cards to listen to any click noises.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Welp, guess now is a good time to order Sticker Mario!

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I've never done it before (and don't know if I'd be up to the task), but couldn't someone just make a public Google document with all the SA usernames and friend codes? Or does Google make it public so Joe Sixpack could gently caress it up?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Keito posted:

This board is viewable without signing in, so potentially it could get screwed up, yeah. If Google docs has a revisions system it wouldn't be too much trouble reverting vandalism, though.

You know, I was looking through a few blogs on setting up a Google Docs thing. Apparently I can make it so only those with the link can see it, and make it write only by myself or select others.

I'm tempted to do this. On one hand, I have a free-ish weekend coming up. On the other, I start training at a new job Monday. I don't think it'd be too hard, make it like a spread sheet. Don't even know if all the friend codes are current outside the last five pages or so.

Hmm....

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Cross posting from the Swap Note thread.

Green Puddin posted:

Hey gang, I wanted to try something out with all the friend codes being posted. I'm aware that at one point we had a friend code database but that is no longer being updated (seems like it isn't even being hosted); well, I had an idea on that. See, keeping up a spreadsheet on Google docs isn't that bad vs. hosting a server that could be :goon:

I present to you, the Something Awful 3DS Friendzone.

Now, a few things to note:
1 - I'm sorry it doesn't look pretty. I guess I could work on that but I prefer functionality over cosmetics.
2 - The list is alphabetical order.
3 - We've had this thread around for a while now, meaning people posting from page 1 could probably not even have their 3DS anymore, let alone use it. I've started with users and codes from page 20 to now. If you would rather your name and code not be listed, please let me know. From here on if I catch any new posts from this thread I'll try and update the document. Also, feel free to let me know about any screw ups that I can fix if you spot them.
4 - Right now, I'm the only author for the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can only be viewed by those who have the link. If you want to help keep it updated, that's great but I'll be very selective; I've seen the goon PS3 spreadsheet go public for editing and watching it turn to poo poo in minutes.

Any thoughts on this? Do you all prefer just posting in here with your codes instead? I know this is the Swapnote thread and all but it's basically become the friend code thread for SA, may as well try and contribute!

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I'm one of those few people enjoying NSMB2 so far, and it's nice to mix it in between games. I can see how someone could get frusterated when it was one of the few games really out for the 3DS. In between Sticker Mario, Resident Evil Revelations, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem... It's nice to have that platforming in between.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I just wanted to chime in for anyone contemplating the XL vs the normal model - don't even ask just buy the XL. Like, I know that sounds counter productive and rude but hear me out.

I had a regular purple 3DS a few months ago. Didn't like it too much, felt like it was too small of a screen for what was going on (even with 20/20 vision), holding it felt weird, and just turned me off to the 3DS experience in general.

Figured I would try again for the hell of it a month or so again, this time with the XL; immediate difference! Obviously it's bigger, but it doesn't make me nauseous like the smaller one, actually feels nice to hold, the stylus is in a good place... Yeah. Seriously, get the XL if possible.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I'll buy the worst game on the planet if it's composed by Nobuo, loving love his music.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just picked up my XL. Quick question before I start the system transfer: Is the bottom part supposed to easily pry off? It's still screwed in, but I can kinda pry it no problem. Is everyone's like this?

Mine is like that. In fact, I posted in this very thread asking what the gently caress was wrong with my XL when it turns out that that's just how they are built. Just handle with care, don't put any peanut butter in there.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Upside down Pikanipples.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I happen to be close to my laptop. One cool thing I've done is get a male to male audio cable from the 3DS to the input port of my computer and have my headset play back the music. Sounds a bit redundant but the headset is probably the nicest pair I have vs ear buds, and there's always the sound system if I really want to play it through there.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I will order my subjects to maintain the town lawn rather they like it or not, and if they refuse the penalty is 50 lashes with the bug catching net.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The Mayor of Buttville rules with an iron fist.

That's Butttopia, mister! :mad:

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Downloading Donkey Kong Returns *right now*. I got to experience a bit of it on my family's Wii but was not a fan of waggle-to-roll and am not smart enough to softmod a Wii to button assign that poo poo.

Haven't had DK fever since 2 :hawaaaafap:

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Rexroom posted:

So, Sega is also releasing Wii U's Sonic Lost Worlds for the 3DS. Kinda intrigued, hopefully it's not a repeat of Sonic Racing quality-wise.

Wait a loving minute is that Sonic eXtreme?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I seriously doubt they'd make another iteration. At least to let the XL milk out some more sales in the mean time. I mean it doesn't have an amazing battery life but it's close to perfect.

• Locked thread