Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

punchdaily posted:

Well I was talking specifically about Brick and Mortar stores. I don't think currently anything is too difficult to track down online.

Yeah, I had to find it used at some weird GameStop hidden away in a strip mall. I even went to big stores like Nintendo World in Rockefeller Center when I was looking and the employee there (who was really cool and gave me the numbers of a couple small indie video game stores) told me that Atlus sent out only like 24 copies to them which sold out in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mennonites Revenge posted:

1) Yes, WPA is supported, but not for regular DS games.

For clarification's sake, certain "DSi-enhanced" DS titles can support WPA if you're playing them on either the DSi or the 3DS. Pokémon Black and White fall into this category and so does Camp Rock: The Final Jam, your favorite video game that you love so much.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Can I bother y'all to dredge up the 3DS XL size discussion again? I don't have a handbag or a backpack or anything but I'm thinking of upgrading before the free game promotion ends, especially because the left shoulder button on my 3DS is getting a little temperamental and my giant man's hands aren't relishing the way they feel after a few hours' play, and I wanna know if I could slip it in my jeans pocket without risking destruction, embarrassment, or A Terrible Third Thing

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

drat you men and your jean pockets! I can barely cram the regular 3DS with the power pack into my purse as is.

I'd carry a purse if I could but I'm prone to leaving stuff places, it's probably best I keep it all on my person anyway!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I took advantage of the free game promotion and I'm downloading Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. This is my first Layton game. Should I play the older ones first? How many even are there.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Basically you just have to know that Layton lives in a magical world where everything is always puzzles.

Cool, same.

Artix posted:

Basically, if you want the full story, in order:

Last Specter (DS) - Eternal Diva (Movie) - Miracle Mask (3DS) - Azran Legacies (3DS, not out yet) - Curious Village (DS) - Diabolical Box (DS) - Unwound Future (DS)

Duly noted!

Thanks, y'all, I will jump right in ~at my leisure~ (and make some time to familiarize myself with the ones I haven't played, also at my leisure)!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of which, is that going to be $50 even digitally?

My (potentially naive) assumption is that the first physical run will be $50 because of all the special edition stuff and add-ons and that the digital version will be standard, but I don't know anything about anything, so.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Laser Spider posted:

As of late I've gotten a few unexpected StreetPasses just from driving up and down the highway with my 3DS on me. Apparently I've been lucky enough to be within communication range of someone else's 3DS long enough to exchange StreetPass information.

This has happened to me too! I live on Long Island, so a half hour outside New York City, but I mostly drive further from the city rather than closer to so I'm always surprised when I get some.

FLX posted:

Can someone explain the differences between the DS Animal Crossing and New Leaf, apart from more things to catch, wear, buy, etc.?

Well, ya have pants and skirts. You can go swimming. You're the mayor so you can shape the town to your liking and spend your Bells on public works projects. Tortimer has moved to a tropical island where you can go with other players and play, yes, minigames. I'm generally pretty uncritical about stuff I enjoy and I'm not expecting a radically new experience but the 3DS features have got me pretty excited about New Leaf.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

mancalamania posted:

I just started Sticker Star and I mostly like it but I'm really confused with how I'm supposed to handle Thing Stickers.

Based on what I've heard about future bosses, they're almost impossible to beat without the right Thing Sticker. But how do you know which Thing Sticker to bring before you see what the boss is? They take up too much space in the album to keep every one on you at all times. For the first boss, I tried bringing every Thing Sticker I hadn't used yet, and that still wasn't enough since the right one to use was the Fan, which I had used in the windmill level. I've heard there are clues throughout the world, but I didn't see any hinting at the fan or I would have gone back to try and get another.

Besides that one gripe I really like the game and don't understand all the gripe. It's a huge improvement over Super Paper Mario, that's for sure.

Hey, look at this username!! It's me!!!!

Anyway, I know you're on world 2--I can tell you that's probably the clearest of any of them I've seen so far. Take a look at the stadium where that battle takes place. In world 3 one Thing in particular seems like it'll be pretty relevant based on the theme of the havoc Bowser's wrought. The next boss is even more obvious. I haven't seen any beyond that yet, but I think once you get into the game's mindset (?) it clicks a little better.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

I just got an XL and the top screen has rather visible horizontal lines that disappear when I turn 3D on. Now that I know what to look for, I think I can make out the same behavior in the regular unit (though it's much harder to notice, probably on account of the smaller screen).
Are those lines "normal," or did I get a lemon?

I noticed these but now I don't, for what that's worth.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Do you think that's funny, bitch? Do you think that poo poo is loving funny? Get out of my face.

On the plus side, I found out today that you get an accomplishment for streetpassing someone (my little sister!) on their birthday :3:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nah, it goes red on the XL too, and like Zore said some games will pop up a warning

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

KimT posted:

Plus if you keep an eye on the bottom screen and see what items people are getting, you can just slow down and let someone else get hit by the blue shell.

In MK7 if you time a mushroom boost right you can avoid the blue shell's blast. I've never pulled it off but I've seen it done a couple times and it's fairly fuckin dope.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

fount of knowledge posted:

Oh, you don't lose your equipped item in MK7 when you get hit by a blue shell? For some reason I remember one of the other games doing it.

If you're still holding it you won't but if, say, you've got a banana trail, or you're holding a green shell out behind you, you'll lose it and it'll skid out onto the track for me to bumble into next lap.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Most of you haven't had SD card problems, right? I intend to be very careful but it's literally too convenient to have stuff on hand all the time without having to switch card, particularly Animal Crossing and Pokémon.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

My sister's downloading the digital Animal Crossing as soon as it releases but is probably also going to buy the bundle just for the limited edish XL. Is there anything she needs to do differently to preserve her town or will the system transfer cover all her bases? I'm pretty sure the answer is the latter but it can't hurt to confirm.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I would say that a reason to start at the beginning is that you get more sweet, sweet puzzle action. Story-wise, you're not going to miss much if you just pick up the latest game. None of them are really connected, as far as I know (although I haven't played past the 2nd game).

The fourth and fifth Professor Layton games are directly related although you don't find that out until most of the way through the fifth. (Ryan, if you see this, I was mistaken!)

As for the first three, that trilogy is pretty much just connected by a recurring villain whose schemes don't have any actual relation to one another--even then the third game gives that villain motivation for his crimes.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Call Now posted:

Miracle Mask has the worst plot and minigames, and has those godawful ruins segment though.

Actually all of these things are cool and good. Owned.

(But in all seriousness, I actually liked the ruins segments. It was nice to just play Pokémon Strength puzzles and take a break from math and spatial reasoning, both of which I am bad at.)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I've sort of heard conflicting stuff about this: how stable are the eShop servers the night a huge game drops? Can I expect to have AC:NL by 2am-ish if I'm going digital or would it be better to just go to sleep and wake up to the game fully downloaded?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I wonder if you could trade 7/11 stuff to a US game, I mean they couldn't just dummy it out, could they?

Country-specific DLC can be traded worldwide. You just can't get it worldwide. This makes cross-region friendships potentially pretty lucrative!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

It's u from the future.

Someone at my job has a 3DS but she's not playing New Leaf so WHAT'S THE FUCKIN POINT???

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yes, please. Can explain if/how you can do this. This is my primary reservation for buying a special edition XL (the other is holding out for the MH4 one).

Basically, when you transfer your old 3DS's data to a new one with pre-installed software, the new one is wiped--EXCEPT for the rights to the game that came pre-installed. If you go on the eShop, you'll find it treats you as if you bought the game, downloaded it, and then deleted it. All you have to do is redownload it from its eShop page.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

MK7 is awesome, I three-starred every cup

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Awesome! posted:

Oh..I didn't even know there were "I'm interested in this game" surveys. I've only seen the registration and post play surveys before.

I think these are new. First one I saw was Animal Crossing in late May.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You'll gain levels faster advancing the story than grinding any one given area.

Unless it's the $1.99 DLC grinding area, where you can potentially gain a level every two battles (one to pick up a Heavy Grimoire, another to level up after using it).

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Minidust posted:

I'm in suburban Long Island, New York and it's relatively dry for StreetPass action. I might get one or two if I stray from my daily route to run some errands. At a large public event I'll usually get something decent though. 6 hits at a Memorial Day air show on a beach boardwalk. 15 at a WWE event in Brooklyn (never got to clear out the second queue so I probably could have gotten more).

Same. I've streetpassed people in Long Beach, at stores, and even on the highway a bunch of times, but it's nothing compared to a New York City day where I'm guaranteed three-ish--more, depending on where I go. (Also Long Islanders say on Long Island, what is wrong with your dialect!!!)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

jtm33 posted:

Ah fair enough. I haven't encountered one, does it automatically connect or do you need to configure it?

Automatically connect. If you happen to have your 3DS opened you'll see it does a little thing on the bottom-screen menu and displays a message about a Nintendo Zone hotspot nearby

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think your greeting's under Mii Settings in the Plaza. xpost

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

Welcome to Scribblenauts. This is why I've never gotten into the series.

In my experience that wasn't the case for Super Scribb and is only a bit more so in Scribb Unlim. In the latter I had to give a geek in prison someone from nerd culture he'd get along with for a roommate and I wrote "atheist" to clown on Reddit and it accepted it!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Dehry posted:

On the 11th at 11am eastern the download will become available since that's midnight in Japan.

Is this confirmed? The world's various Nintendos generally do things separately but I'd love for it to be true instead of another 12am EDT release like Animal Crossing.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

"Uhh, that's...not for sale."

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Vince Videogames posted:

Has there been any word yet on Pokemon X/Y's street pass functionality? I'm at college right now and that comic posted earlier is totally true and I'm pretty excited to see what effect that game has on the 3ds count on my campus.

You can put together a roughly ten-second Trainer PR Video where you choose the poses, expressions, angles, subtitles, Pokémon included, and share it with passersby. That's all we know for sure, I think.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Awesome! posted:

I have done two cups where I got first every race, finished with 40 points and still only got 2 stars. Dunno if it's an occasional bug or what.

Did you finish the mirror cup or w/e too? I remember I had to do that (YEAH I'VE GOT 3 STARS, NO BIG!!!!)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

King Crab posted:

Do we know what time they will update the EU Eshop when X and Y is released? I thought you couldn't use the download code until it was actually uploaded to the Eshop by Nintendo.

I don't know when the EU eShop will toss it up (I'm American) although I'm sure that information is available somewhere, but Nintendo distributes review copies of its games through the eShop now so I imagine the games are actually already up there sitting for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hey, if you add a friend whose Mii's name has characters unavailable on your console does their name show up as question marks in your friend list? I added someone living in Korea who goes by 트리샤--Teurisya (Trisha)--but her Mii name is ???. It's not inconveniencing me or anything, I'm just curious. :P

• Locked thread