Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Sire Oblivion posted:

You don't need a Wii/Wii U to use Netflix on the 3DS.

And don't expect the best quality video either (it's still surprisingly good, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SpaceDrake posted:

Late on this, but to get into brief technical :words: about this: the big difference lies in color depth and available VRAM. The 3DS' "action screen" has a lower technical resolution than the 64 (though most games output to 240p anyway, including Zelda IIRC), but the 3DS is capable of rendering full 32-bit color as its GPU is quite a bit more powerful; the N64 was limited to 16-bit color, despite the name. :v: This is why not just Zelda but a whole lot of N64 games look "washed-out" these days - the effective color palette available to the N64 was quite a bit less than what modern computing hardware can do. The 3DS also has far more video RAM, so it can store more complex textures (and the 32-bit color information on those textures) resulting in the models looking quite a bit better. The larger amount of VRAM and RAM in general means environments can be more complex and that the 3DS doesn't have to rely on fog nearly so much.

In short, the 3DS is more like a PS2 than an N64 in terms of power. So yeah, as you saw, Zelda looks a drat lot better. :3:

There was only a handful of games that used the 640x480 resolution. Also, it was called the N64 because it has a 64bit processor, not because it had a 64bit color palette ;)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Joramun posted:

Better look at the multiplayer palette swaps for LM2:

I like how "palette swaps" is still used in the day and age of textures. Makes me want to play old 2D games :unsmith:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

g0lbez posted:

Pound your 3DS on your desk to ground pound!
Blow in your 3DS to have DK blow!
Shake that 3DS to perform precision tight rolls!
Scream into the mic while furiously tapping the bottom screen in a crowded bus to deliver the finishing blow to that boss!

I would play the poo poo out of this.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Louisgod posted:

To confirm, which of the two Zelda games should I start first?

The games run concurrently. The only thing that it changes is that you can carry over your rings from your other save (if I recall, it's been about 9 years since I played) and also get exclusive rings this way and it unlocks new content with references to the other game you played.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Metroid Prime Hunters: Revengeance

I'd love to see a Platinum developed Metroid.

E: Hunters had surprisingly fun multiplayer and I'd love to be able to fly around as Sylux again.

Sylux buddy :respek:

I played the hell out of that game until Action Replays were hilariously prevalent and people just put on infinite HP. :(

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
E: ^^ I have an ambassador 3DS that I got at launch. Probably going to get a New 3DS XL when it comes out because I've been wanting an XL model and hey upgrades :unsmith:

Sir Unimaginative posted:

DS games could only use CPU upgrades passively - and Wi-Fi upgrades not at all - unless they were DSi Enhanced. Wi-Fi is an optional library and I don't know about RAM but the DS was pretty drat low-level so it wouldn't surprise me if the developer, or at least their middleware people, had to do their own memory management.

EDIT: Actually I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to suppress the CPU to OG DS levels for compatibility reasons.

All but the most basic 'literally every game uses these' Nintendo development libraries (Wi-Fi obviously not included) were baked into game images. There's only so much you can fit into 128 KiB of original DS system firmware when there's also a configuration menu, Download Play and Pictochat included.

Yeah normal DS games used the normal libraries baked into the ROM which were WEP only. Which is sad because I'd have loved it back when I had a DSi if I could just leave my router on WPA mode all the time instead of having to drop to WEP to play my pokemon games online :argh:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Astro Nut posted:

On Dragon Quest having connection issues, particularly perhaps that kind of thing ties into why the 'New 3DS' trailer gave a bit of emphasis to its faster download speed? After all, if the 3DS download speed has some kind of internal cap on it for whatever reason, not hard to see how that might screw over an MMO.

"For whatever reason" is because its CPU can only download things so fast especially when it's doing other tasks such as running a game.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

KingSlime posted:

Weapon recommendations for mh3? I've tested the switch axe and the long sword and I enjoyed both. Of course, the sword and shield feels slick and classic. Then there's ranged weapons...ugb I don't want to commit to one type but I also dont want to add hours of grinding just to keep a few different weapon types up to date.

What's your approach to this dilemna?

I just started playing last week (and already have like 24 hours in it :v:) and I settled on Gunlances. They're loving beautiful. I've been crafting different elements as far as I can currently take them in their trees so I can just swap out for certain monsters and beat their faces in way easier (same for armor resists).

E: Just use whatever you like the most but what I've seen recommended you want power Phials (which most axes have anyway) since you do the most damage in blade mode anyway. Check up on the MH wiki people have created, it's really in depth!

Haquer fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 11, 2014

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

KennyMan666 posted:

I already own the three Zelda GBC games on cartridge but since I am a weak man I bought them on the current eShop sale anyway.

I'm also playing the original LoZ and good god how were people ever supposed to figure out this poo poo

Okay, so the original game did come with a limited map in the instruction booklet with the locations of the first four dungeons marked and a few other points of interest noted with a ?. A map that of course is not in the digital manual you get with your VC purchase but ah well I've been looking at a scan of it. My fumbling around did get me the white sword and blue ring before I actually entered Level 2 (though I had done two other levels before that, found some hearts in the world and then it turned out that I had walked around the spot where level 2 was multiple times and been literally two screens away from it more than once).

And even then going around burning bushes to find stairs is a poo poo with how you have to leave the screen and come back to use your candle again.

I don't think it's a bad game but someone explain to me why people have ever considered this a better game than Adventure of Link

Clearly your glasses lack the correct tint. (I don't like either NES Zelda game and I've played every other 2D game)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
/!\ Please take forums posting seriously or I will block you /!\

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Wild Knight posted:

I just want a place to talk about this game that I am extremely excited for that isn't a bunch of shrieking monkeys flinging poo poo at each other but I have finally come to realize that, concerning smash, that is impossible

You've seen the light, friend.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

fruitpunch posted:

I own a 2DS what's this "3D" y'all are talking about?

Something that wastes battery life on a gimmick :v:

Any time a game lets me turn off 3D mode for increased FPS/other settings I do it because I literally never use 3D. Maybe that's just me :iiam:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

30 uses. That's it.

*sweat glistens from my brow as I boot up the demo for Smash Brothers for the 30th time in realization that I can never use my 3DS for anything else until the game comes out*

*breathes heavily holding back tears as my battery indicator flashes red and I don't have my charger with me*

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Awesome! posted:

seriously though, it's $18 for the one they recommend on amazon. i think sticking it behind the back cover rather than giving it its own slot is more annoying.

I've literally never removed my SD card after I slotted in my 16GB into my 3DS, so I'm not entirely sure why this is A Bad Thing?

Also I still have like 4gb open on my card even after downloading Pokemon X (~2.7gb) and MH3U (~1.8gb) with tons of demos and movies. I might still get a 32gb card for the New 3DS XL I'm eyeballing when we finally hear a NoA announcement :argh:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Awesome! posted:

i like to back mine up on my pc every once in awhile

Even then, the cover is meant to be removable and as far as I know it doesn't even use screws to be held into place. It's a mild inconvenience at worst v:shobon:v

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

mulls posted:

Guys I'm going to preorder a New 3DS when it comes to North America, and there isn't much y'all could do to stop me.

Same :hfive:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Beanzor posted:

Recent 2DS owner here. (Love it!)

Everything that I have played so far has been fine, but are there any games that are just absolutely unplayable or control poorly without the 3D? So far, I don't feel like I've been missing much.

Nope. I have a launch 3DS that I never use the 3D on except rare occasions where I go "Yep it can do 3D alright" and turn it back off.

Wish you could free up the GPU power intentionally to get higher FPS instead of 3D effect :smith:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Volt Catfish posted:

Is there a reason why when playing online with no items, even if we keep items off, they'll still spawn in levels sometimes? (and with alarming frequency too)

Nintendo wants you to have fun?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Shelf Adventure posted:

Who cares? He's discussing a 3DS game in a 3DS game thread

There's this weird thing on the internet as of late where people who have negative opinions on things are shouted down, no matter how menial a post, since I guess everyone wants everything to be feel good hugboxes?

A lot of "nobody cares if you don't like it" then if you DO like something then they give you a free handjob :iiam:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

homeless snail posted:

You don't even need to grind in monster hunter until high rank either, some hosed up monhan opinions going on itt.

Yeah seriously I went through low rank (the storyline section of the game, for those who haven't played) using the armor you get from the first monster and some weapons that I got the materials to make as I progressed without really grinding on anything.

The only real grinding I've done is on Brachydios (high rank) but that's because 1) he's fun as gently caress to fight and 2) Dios weapons are fun as gently caress to use :black101:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Kaubocks posted:

Monster Hunter sucks, Kirby rules.

Buy Kid Icarus.

I want a 5 page essay on my desk tomorrow on why monster hunter sucks

no negative opinions without giant walls of text, thanks!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Hungry Bit posted:

Monster Hunter is okay but I got bored a few days into it. Probably because I was playing it solo I guess?

Only play Monster Hunter with friends, it's primarily designed to be played in co-op anyway like most games these days.

I'm at like 130 hours solo in it after owning it for like 4 weeks?

Nearly done with village quests and up to HR3 in the port :getin:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I don't know what you all see in Kirby. I enjoy the games but for being a Nintendo franchise, Kirby is awfully plain and forgettable. Maybe it's targeted at much younger children, idk but Kirby games lack something to distinguish themselves from the masses of bland gaming experiences.

I remember crystal shards was the poo poo but I was also a young teenager when I played it. I'd have to go back to see if that holds up. Otherwise, I'd rank most kirby games alongside the newest Yoshi's Island: meh.

But that is my opinion and you can have your own too.

At least the first Yoshi's Island is still awesome!

So glad I have it as an ambassador game, since I boot it up every once in a while and play the hell out of it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Chronojam posted:

Does the New 3DS present a virtual CPP to existing 3DS software?

I assume it only works with software that supports it, much like the normal CPP.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Starhawk64 posted:

I have to say, the Zelda Theme really goes well with my Zelda XL.
___/

Indeed :wotwot:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Welp tuned into the very end of the MonHun direct... and they had a Samus skin complete with hilariously oversized gun. It was a beautiful thing.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Chronojam posted:

A coworker got his brother a 3DS as a gift. His brother reciprocated by getting him a Vita. He's now the weirdo at the office who has a Vita and not a 3DS.

That is loving poetry.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

greatn posted:

Well improved size and weight and battery life and 3d and better button layout is compelling.

That and Monster Hunter without needing my big fat CPP attached will be amazing.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

zfleeman posted:

Kick. rear end. Somebody on the Wii U thread misinformed me earlier today. They said it was the normal Donkey Kong (NES). This game is fantastic. Believe all the praise you have heard for this game.

I am a 2DS owner playing through A Link Between Worlds for the first time. I am crazy in love with that game, but I definitely think I am missing something without 3D. I, too, will be picking up a New 3DS as soon as I can. Are we still being told "2015" for US release?

You're not missing anything by lacking the gimmick.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Getsuya posted:

Man the Monster Hunter fanboys are seething hatred for the new one. They've got a bunch of really popular/serious 1 star reviews all over it. From a brief glance, apparently the monsters are too strong and fast and the knockdown now lasts longer so if you get hit it's very difficult to recover. Also since the monsters are faster there is no time to use any items or even to put your weapon away, so every fight has just become tank and spank.

Yeah that sounds exactly like G Rank is supposed to be, so I'm not sure what they're whining about?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Saoshyant posted:

I too agree that buying Shovel Knight on Steam will allow me to play it in 3D on the go.

Lol you use the 3D effect :cawg:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

raditts posted:

It's kind of genius how they don't even have to come up with new pokemon or ideas or anything anymore, all they have to do is give you the same poo poo from 10 years ago with a fresh coat of paint and people are all :homebrew:

Halo: Master Chief Collection.

There's people shelling out $400+ for an xbone with it.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Gutcruncher posted:

Skyward Swords overworld was barren and lovely, but the combat, controls, and item "crafting" was amazing and I hope all of those things come back for the next game.

You enjoyed the awful motion controlled fighting? :psyduck:

Oh no I flicked my wrist just slightly wrong so now I'm striking from the wrong direction. Boy is this fun! Also waggle. gently caress waggle. gently caress bomb bowling: no Nintendo, wrists do not bend that way.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Gutcruncher posted:

No, I enjoyed the super rad motion controlled fighting :colbert:

We must be talking about different games, then!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Miko posted:

I have a retro 3ds xl NES edition because I am a goddamn sucker for these things. Ain't got time to wait for the new one.

I'm really annoyed that they've still not announced an NA date for the New Suri Di Esu because I want to upgrade from my launch edition 3DS to a New XL :(

Hurry the gently caress up Nintendo

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

enojy posted:

It lasted me about a month! But that was technically 2 playthroughs (Hero mode after the first.) It's an instant classic. I'll be revisiting it for years to come, or until Smash Bros claims my circle pad.

Let me tell you about Hero Mode and doing the 100 (? it's been a few months) floor tower clear :argh:

But when I did it I felt like a loving champ

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

RyokoTK posted:

100? It's like 15 floors.

Still pretty tricky on Hero though, I waited until I had the red mail.

Look who never did the 100 floor challenge :cawg:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

RyokoTK posted:

Wait a minute. I definitely did three separate challenges at the Tower.

According to Gamefaqs at least, it's 5, 15, and 50. But you have to do the 50-floor challenge twice to get both the super net and lantern. (I only did it once.)

On Hero I only went up to the 15-floor challenge for the Piece of Heart.

Yeah, I fully upgraded everything on hero mode because I hate myself I guess. That and it's a drat good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

deadly_pudding posted:

I'll just ask next time I'm at the mall. Worse comes to worse, I have to set aside an extra $80 or whatever to pay for the console, then trade in the old one after I finish the transfer to use my store credit on other stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get New 3DS the same general time frame as Monster Hunter 4.

Yeah I have a good feeling we'll see a Nu3DS+MH4 bundle and I will buy the gently caress out of it

• Locked thread