Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, Intsys makes Fire Emblem and AW. There's also a casual mode in Awakening where character's don't die permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I do the majority of my handheld gaming at home. And if I do bring it with me, it's normally to play on the bus to the university, so I can store it in my backpack.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I just upgraded to an XL, it's pretty great so far. Just wondering, they fixed the problem where the bezel on the bottom screen would scratch the top, right? I'll probably spring for screen protectors eventually, but I want to make sure I don't have to stick a cloth between the screens until then.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

How do I apply the Hori screen protectors to my XL? I'm a huge incompetent, and screwed it up once already.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Orchids! posted:

I seem to remember the text making it clear that she axed you in the chest, but I'm not sure.

Does that mean that VLR only requires one playthrough to get all of the information, or are there multiple endings like in 999? I didn't mind the multiple endings but it did seem a bit silly by the last couple of playthroughs to be fast forwarding through >50% of the content, though not as silly as reading it all for the fifth time.

The structure of VLR is slightly different. Suffice to say, you won't be fast-forwarding through any repeated content.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I've got a dumb question about how streetpass works. Do you have the actually be playing a game to send out and receive streetpass content for said game, or will it send it out if you're playing a different game too? I ask because I want to know if my min-maxed Awakening streetpass team will still be sent out to people if I play Etrian Odyssey for a while.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Good to know, thanks guys.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terraplane posted:

I'm going to buy a 3DS pretty soon, and I have an idea what 3DS games I want to get for it. But what are some good DS games that I should pick up? I played a ton of them after the DS Lite came out but then sort of tapered off. Anything that came out during the DSi's life cycle I probably missed. I really liked the Ace Attorney series, TWEWY, Trauma Center, and Hotel Dusk, anything like that that I should check out?

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I'm still a bit interested in this translation thing. How would Atlus (or however translated it) know that their translation was ripped off? Would it be small things like the translation saying "You're smelly!" instead of a literal translation that says "You smell bad!"

Translation is a pretty subjective thing. There's plenty of small differences possible in how you can translate something, and plenty of small differences in how you can phrase the same idea.

If the translation was word for word, there's no argument that could possibly be made that they didn't use the same translation.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Geez they're just feet, y'all are obsessed.

Now this is interesting. Did this end up being any good?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

I only know Famitsu gave it a 38/40 and called it "a supreme game" or something like that.

Yeah, but Famitsu would give a piece of paper with a name scribbled on it a 38/40.

TurnipFritter posted:

I've heard mixed things about the story, and the dungeons are apparently pretty standard 16-bit stuff, but the job costumes are super cute:

Now that, that's more encouraging.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Continuing SRPG chat, I hit the first difficulty spike in Fire Emblem. First fight with Ricken (the wind magicky duder). These types of games are still kiiiiind of new to me, but I'm enjoying it. Still not quite sure what I'm doing (I guess MT is a weapons strength? What's that even stand for? :psyduck:), and I won't go too deep into it in this thread since there is a dedicated FE thread, but it is a good game.

The 3D makes it look really cool; it's first game on the 3DS I've seen where the 3D makes the cutscenes look better. Usually 3D just enhances lovely compression quality, but FE looks great.

A tip for that map: If you do the paralogue that opens directly beforehand, you'll get a rescue staff in one of the chests. Rescue lets you move a distant character (and their pair-up partner) to a space adjacent to the caster, which lets you bail Maribelle and Ricken out of trouble immediately.

e: Oh, hey, this isn't the Awakening thread. My point still stands though.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 20, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Soul Hackers is huge, because it's got full voice acting. It's well over twice the size of Fire Emblem and EO4. So yeah, it's far from the norm. That said, the default SD cards are pretty tiny, so it might be worth just buying a 32 or 64 GB one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

EO4 or Fire Emblem. Soul Hackers is kinda fun, but fairly dated, and EO4 is definitely the better dungeon crawler.

Personally, Fire Emblem is more to my tastes, but that's me.

e: Or just get all three!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Ah OK cool. I'm really gonna buy this one. Very much enjoyed what little I played of it so far.

How many hours of gameplay does the full version have?

One playthrough is around 20-30 hours, more if you do absolutely everything, and there's a fair bit of post game content through DLC.

It's also pretty replayable, since you get more characters then you can really use in a single playthrough.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Anime is a cool thing for cool people, and so is Fire Emblem. Don't fight it.

e: For fear of this post dissuading people from playing Fire Emblem, I'll elaborate and say the localization is terrific. I'd compare it to Persona 4, anime as hell, but great anyway.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 9, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Does 999 have any glitchy saving issues like Virtue's Last Reward?

No.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

My Hori seems to be holding up great, and I play my 3DS a fair amount. (I got it when FE:A came out, I've played that for 200+ hours, and I've also put some time into EO4.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Not really, no. Just go in as blind as you can.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Minidust posted:

From CAG I'm seeing that Project X Zone has a pre-order coupon (EMCXRWP236) to make it $33.99.

This is actually the first I've heard of the game and it looks neat. Is it basically a Fire Emblem-type game that's stylized as a Vs. fighter? Curious about any impressions since I assume it's had some sort of Japanese release by now.

I don't wanna be suckered in by the sheer fanwankery of it, but an Ulala/Chun Li tag team is hard to resist.
:goonsay:

According to everyone who's played it, it's a terrible slog.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Those of you familiar with the games - which is a better experience: Final Fantasy III remake on Android/iOS or Final Fantasy IV remake on DS?
I dislike too much grinding (but am just fine with there being a little bit) and also dislike wen the game becomes so large and vague that you don't actually know where you are meant to be going and it becomes a seemingly aimless quest until you initiate the right conversation, for example. How are FFIII and FFIV for this?

I didn't win FFTA2 but managed to snag FFTA, and feel like some traditional fun roleplaying to tide me over until it arrives.

As for the guy asking about Dragon Quest IX: I absolutely loved that game, and I was madly into DQIV as well. I tired of DQVI surprisingly quickly, and still have DQV to get through. If you have not tried IV yet, give it a go. I too am very, very eager for the VII remake to make it to the West.

If the FFIII remake is the same as the DS remake, it's pretty bad, don't get it.

FFIV DS is a mixed bag. There's a lot of stupid stuff you'll miss without a guide (Augments), but the game is actually challenging and rewards using status effects and such. Except the challenge is wonky, and some encounters are just way too strong and can wipe you from go if they so choose.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ularg posted:

Also, one other thing when reading over the first page, I think the OP mentioned that the XL version doesn't come with a charger? Did I read that completely wrong? I'm pretty much locked into the XL because of my bigger hands and Amazon isn't really clear on what it comes with. And lastly, the only thing I have left to ask of you guys is if there is a deal going on somewhere for any 3DS games or the system? I'm more than likely just going to go out sometime tomorrow or the next day and buy it from a Gamestop or other game store so I can have it in my hands right then to use.

PAL 3DSs don't come with a charger, but NA 3DSs do.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I hope this isn't too spoilery a question, but does VLR end as conclusively as 999 does, more or less?

No, it ends rather openly to setup the sequel.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Looking at Amazon/Ebay, the cheapest price I can find is $230.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If it's your first playthrough you should just play like a normal person and not worry about Galeforce and all that stuff.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Sweet, I'm looking forward to this game, mostly because maybe if it sells well Sega might take another look at localizing Valkyria Chronicles 3 maybe? (I know this is incredibly wishful thinking and is almost certainly not going to happen)

There is a translation patch for VC3 on the way, and it seems to be coming along fairly nicely.

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The mainline SMT series is pure dungeon crawler. No social links or anything. The Battle System is similar to that of Persona, and the dungeon crawling is better realized since it's the entire focus of the game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I haven't played it, but if it's anything like every other mainline SMT game, it's much sparser then Persona 4 and Devil Survivor.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DoctorOfLawls posted:

So I just played through 999 for the first time and was really captured by the entire story... only to suddenly get a bad ending.

I am excited to start a new playthrough with the previous memories, and I understand I can fast forward the text I have already seen, but I just wanted to understand if I also have to redo the puzzles I have already encountered.

Unfortunately yes, but you can do them really quickly once you already know how to solve them. There also aren't any flags that I can recall, by that I mean you can solve puzzles even if the game hasn't given you the information you need (a code, for example).

Virtue's Last Reward fixes this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

Apologies if this has been already posted, but:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/namco_bandai_is_teasing_a_new_3ds_game_but_what_could_it_be

Any ideas? "Tales of the Abyss" is my a favorite 3DS game along with Animal Crossing so I'm hoping it'll be a new Tales game.

They've also trademarked three new Tales of names (before they announced Tales of Xillia and Graces they trademarked three names each, basically to hide what the real name was), so it's possible.

I do prefer Tales on consoles though, so let's see.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fire Emblem. There's a reason the thread title isn't "Yes, buy the XL. And Project X Zone."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, buy the XL. (Seriously, it's a great piece of hardware, I can't imagine going back to my old 3DS.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's 8, and the Water Temple is a great dungeon in the 3DS version since you don't need to go into the menu to equip/unequip the iron boots.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You better not be toying with my feelings :woop: :woop:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I always use 3D, and I find that most games look kinda bland without it.

Maybe I'm just crazy, though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

They disabled saving in the PEC room, so technically yes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

But that isn't the only place the game can crash, that's not a solution at all! :psyduck:

Hey now, they specifically only said they fixed the save issue in the PEC room. Technically, they did fix that.

(Yeah, it's a pretty half-assed effort, although I don't know enough about programming to know how tough patching a glitch like this coule be).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Also, how do the spotpass characters work? Apparently they're actually like, character characters with supports and stuff?

They can support the Avatar and Morgan, and that's it. They also have conversations in some of the DLC.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

Given that Awakening's sales are sitting at just over a million worldwide (and handily beat out the ultimatum of a quarter million to keep the series going), and DoR is sitting at 508,000 copies sold as well (which, as mentioned, beats out DS's 360,000), I'm not too sure what you're trying to say here.

He meant in the sense that the future of the franchise was resting on it, i.e, if it unperformed Fire Emblem would have been discontinued. The difference is that while Awakening did gangbusters, Days of Ruin did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's Sting's most Sting-like game.

The closest thing possible to a description is that it's half bullet hell, half bizarre pseudo SRPG. It's pretty good.

• Locked thread