Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Geektox posted:

Oh you can just transfer them? Cool, after the whole WiiU account fiasco I just sort of assumed it was locked to the hardware.

You need both systems together and a wifi connection. There's a system transfer utility that just shoves all your stuff from one console to another, and when it's over the last step is to swap SD cards. If you were planning on using the cash from the Abassador'd unit to buy the XL, keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Hori really is the go-to brand for screen protectors. It's eligible for free shipping so if you can find something else to buy to push you over $25 that would be the best deal. As of this post they're even on sale for $7.19. Failing that, you'll have to look around for a brick-and-mortar that sells them in your area.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I don't care if they sell poorly, my first GBA was white and I want my 3DS to be white too. Or purple. :colbert:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Captain Hair posted:

My favorite 3DS game, I think. I always dump every point possible into banshee because she really is a murder machine. Plus if you keep pumping points into her, you can keep upgrading her knife enough that she'll almost always be able to one-shot enemies. Theres usually a mission or two where she isn't able to, but then after the mission you'll be able to give her 2 more and shes back to stabbing like a pro. :)

By endgame Banshee is broken as hell. Once you build up her gauge and let her use the ability that gives two attacks with one move, you can have her take out two people which fills up her gauge again, then use the points to give her another turn in the same round and take out 4 more guys. If you set everything up right she can eliminate an entire enemy platoon in one round.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I'm thinking it's a marketing tactic at this point since all the gaming websites will run a story about it. FREE PRESS!

I certainly wouldn't have known that Naruto game even existed if you hadn't posted that picture. Those wily bastard. :argh:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

I got a 3ds basically for free and don't have any games for it. None of the 'must buy' titles really seem very interesting at all though, except what people are saying about kid icarus seems interesting but the gameplay videos and trailers make it out to be something i would never want to play ever. The 3d remake of MGS3 seems pretty cool and it's a game I've been meaning to play, but i've heard that you really need a circle pad pro to play it.

If you've played Peacewalker on the PSP, MGS3D has the same control scheme with some things moved to the touch screen (but still accessable with your thumb). It's actually very playable without the CPP and the complains about the FPS dropping were also there (and in most cases worse) on the PS2, so take that as you will. :shrug:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I'm never going to stop loving that the EU Club shop has an item that is just the cuff of a sock with one end sewn shut.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Timid posted:

Holy poo poo, they still make PSP games? Is it because of the low Vita sales or something?

It's just a different market. Consoles have a much longer life in Japan, especially for cheaper titles. The Dreamcast was having new games come out as late as 2007.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Harlock posted:

Are any games (Puzzle, or whatever) unplayable without having the 3D on? When I buy my 3DS, I plan on keeping it off all the time (because I can't see the 3D effect anyways), so I wanted to know if there's any games to avoid.

It's completely unnecessary. You can't view the 3D effect from anything but a head-on viewpoint, so you can't tilt or turn the console to peek behind things, and I can't think of a game where the 3D is needed for gauging distances. Mario 3D Land is a little easier with it on, but the shadow Mario casts is more than enough to gauge where you're going to land.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I feel almost lucky that the worst streetpass I got was from a Homestuck character.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I was using a Kingston microSD in an adapter and it worked just fine but was slow as poo poo. I replaced it with a larger standard SD and it's easily 5 times as fast at loading swapnotes.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I played it on the VC a few months ago for the first time in over a decade and it's still my favourite Zelda game. The setting is unlike any other and the gameplay is more like Link to the Past where there isn't a gimmick they're going for, just fun items and puzzles to use them on. Totally worth it if you're just not stoked about the other prizes.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I really see no reason to upgrade to the XL. I have one of those Niko batteries, so battery life is equivalent to the stock one on the XL, the device fits nicely in my tiny girl hands, and with people complaining about the 3D sweet spot and the screen's warm tint, I think I'm better off without it.

If I hadn't bought my 3DS before the XL was announced, I would probably have picked up an XL instead. I don't like either of the colours America got. If my 3DS ever breaks, I'll probably get the XL as an upgrade. I just want to hold out for better colours and maybe a price drop, even if it isn't likely before the next generation of handhelds is announced.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

BambooEarpick posted:

So, maybe I'm just a fun-hater, but I am not really getting into the groove of Luigi's Mansion. Is there anyone else here who shares my sentiments or do I just don't understand what fun is?

I finished it, but about halfway through the second mansion it became a slog. It's got nice gameplay and a lot of exploration to it, especially great if you're one of those people that has to 100% everything, but it's just not my kind of game. I also don't really click with the story-heavy Mario game humour. I also couldn't stand Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story mostly from the dialogue and humour. Just doesn't gel with me.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Two big questions, and I'm sorry if they've been covered already.

I want a 3DS system for Pokemon, and retroactively Animal Crossing. I really don't care about 3D features, I'd never use them and truthfully they annoy me.

Should I get a 2DS? What are the major differences in the 2DS and the 3DS XL?

The 2DS doesn't fold, the 3DSXL does. Also the 2DS is $70 cheaper.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

The 3DS game card cases are back in the NA Club Nintendo stock! They're 400 coins and have much nicer themes than last time, including ones of Zelda and Animal Crossing.

Those motherfuckers. It's a shame you can't get just the slip covers because the Animal Crossing and boo/bullet bill ones are really cool, but I already have two of the cases. :(

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Davincie posted:

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was a good TBS right? I saw it laying around for 70% off so I picked it up but the entire backside is filled with health warnings so I can't really discover if it actually is (a good) one.

I think only Animal Crossing has it beat for most time played on my system, but even then I'm pretty sure GR:SW is still ahead by a little bit.

loving buy it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Jetsetlemming posted:

I honestly find it super weird that Nintendo focused on the 3d for the 3DS when streetpass is, IMO, far more innovative and interesting. I didn't even know it was a feature until after I bought mine, and the streetpass plaza games have taken up more of my time than any of the retail games I've bought, even monster hunter and rune factory.

In the two years I've owned my 3DS, I've gotten maybe 5 streetpasses legitimately, meaning not from people I live with and not from nerd conventions.

I love the feature to death, and it would be really cool if games more thoroughly integrated it in, but only if I ever got them regularly, which I just don't. This, with having lived in a fairly large city and working in a very busy shopping center next to a Gamestop.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

majormonotone posted:

I'm going to be honest: that's arguably better than the American store.

Those key chains are pretty cute. :shobon:

I am disappointed, however, that the Game Sock™ has disappeared.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Grump posted:

Is being a Gold member worth it?

I'm debating on registering all my games and getting Gold or just holding out until they do another, "Register this game and get this game for free" deal.

I've had Platinum status for the last two years (and have it for this year) and all I have to show for it are some neat posters I'll most likely never display and a digital copy of Metroid 2. Not usually worth it, but definitely register the codes if a good game comes up you can buy with coins.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omocat/omori

4 days left, they need ~$75k to hit the 3DS stretch goal... doesn't seem likely.

An unabashed mix of Yume Nikki and Earthbound, made in RPG Maker, and starring a kid whose only character traits are anime and emotional problems? Yowie zowie!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

The KH game suffers a lot from the vast, open, and utterly empty worlds. Like massive spaces of absolutely nothing. It's almost eerie. That combined with the drop system (where you are automatically forced to switch from one character to another after a meter/time limit runs out, even literally right in the middle of battle) sort of takes away from what fun parts there are.

If you drop in the middle of a boss fight you get the pleasure of looking forward to starting that boss fight over after your next drop! :suicide:

Including a bullshit boss with 12 health bars and an attack that drops your HP to 1. That's when I put that game down.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

AzureRequiem posted:

Is the plot as convoluted and confusing as past Kingdom Hearts games have been?

Yes, but you get to capture monsters and pet them with the stylus. :3: The core gameplay is actually pretty fun but the drop mechanic really hurts one's ability to enjoy it. I played the game non-stop when it came out until I gave up and I still couldn't tell you who the main villain was. Ansem I guess? Is he still around? :shrug:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

People bitch about this all the time, but if you went into a boss fight with a low drop meter, that sounds like your own fault. Every shop sells Drop-Me-Nots. They are prevalent in chests. If you don't either drop or use a Drop-Me-Not before a boss, you're playing the game wrong.

Uh, yeah, pfft, god! Don't you know anything? Every time a boss fight begins, all ya gotta do is immediately kill the buildup and action and start playing a different part of the game or stop and chug a bunch of items. I mean, tch, it's just how you play the game, idiots! :smuggo:

gently caress the drop mechanic.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

There's a difference between making sure your magic bar is full and making sure you top off the meter that's only there for the game to go "Nnnnnnnope you play as the other guy for a while now!"

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

Well, I guess someone's getting a free copy of Mighty Gunvolt: A05K0MTR0WHJH2UW. Sorry if a bunch of people have been posting these recently.

(I backed Mighty No. 9 on Kickstarter. Every backer got a free Mighty Gunvolt eShop code as an unannounced bonus, which is nice, but they're all US codes - so if like me you've got a European 3DS then you get gently caress all. Yay region locking.)

Nabbed it. Thanks a bunch!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

32GB class 10 that isn't SanDisk brand. People seem to have the most problems with SanDisk for some reason.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I can't believe the stylus still doesn't come out of the right side on the non-XL. On the DS lite you could just pop it out really quickly and slide it back in. Why didn't they learn this poo poo is annoying back in the DS phat days?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think they just put it wherever they can make space relative to the rest of the internals.

They should rearrange the internals so the stylus isn't in a stupid position. :colbert:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Link's Awakening, then Oracle of Ages. The Oracle games use the LA engine and build upon it in some ways, so just from an enjoyment perspective it's best to do LA first. The oracles can be done in either order, but Ages is objectively more fun.

Awakening is better than the both, though. :colbert:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

I don't think any American news networks cared much at all about a TV show in Japan causing seizures in Japanese children, much less the average parent.

I remember one of my teachers mentioning it in class back in middle school. It was a pretty big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Unless you really want to not spend a lot of money, there's no point in not waiting for the New 3DS. Even if you wanted the smaller unit, the New 3DS has larger screens even on the standard model without being much bigger.

Also faceplates.

• Locked thread