Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Etrian Odyssey is gonna be so good when it comes out.

So. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Mieu is absolutely terrible and Abyss as a whole is a relic of a game that is out of place in this decade. Boring gameplay, boring characters, nonsensical story. It's okay if you disagree but you're strill wrong!!

Boring characters, gameplay and story all sound like what we're getting all the time this decade, so I dunno where this 'out of place' stuff is coming from.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

He's 25 hours in, I doubt he's at that point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Drop System isn't an issue in practice thanks to Drop-Me-Nots being plentiful, but neither do I see any reason for them to have included it in the first place.

The rest of the gameplay is pretty good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

it forces you to switch between the characters. They wanted you to be constantly switching between them so you couldn't get too far as one guy or the other.

Then they could have set up switches point in the plot instead of being tied to a meter that can run out in the middle of battles.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The heavy-armoured ones have nice designs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Big Whoop posted:

Picked one of these up brand new at Target for 80 bucks. I have Dream Drop Distance and the new Kid Icharus game. Any other goon suggestions? I'm not that big of a Mario fan.
Also, the AR on this thing is SICK. One of the coolest things I've seen (when it works). Are there any games that actually utilize the AR or is it just one of those gymicky things that no one is developing for?

As many people will attest, Fire Emblem. Might be hard to find a physical copy, but there's always digital.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So I'll probably be picking up an XL in a few hour's time. But before I do, I'd like to know - how's the battery life in comparison to the original model, and are there any battery addons?

Thanks in advance.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Am I the only one who thinks that looks hideous?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Pottsdam posted:

Should I get Fire Emblem or Etrian Oddysey IV? Let's say I can only get one.

Do you like sRPGs or dungeon crawlers more? Both of them are fantastic games.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

It's called the Nintendeo 3DS. Why on earth would you play a game NOT in 3D?? That's the whole point!

Excluding people who simply can't see 3D or it causes headaches, I really don't see the detriment to using it. Even a game like EO4 where 3D absolutely doesn't add anything to gameplay, it's still a neat effect to have the window panes at different depths. In some games yes, it is a gimmick, but it's still a cool gimmick - that's the 3DS in a nutshell. Why not just stick with a DS if you don't even want to bother with 3D?

Because the image quality is noticeably worse when the 3D is on, and because battery life is far more important to me than a visual effect anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Is the new Etrian Odyssey actually playable in the sense that I won't spiral into an endless "gently caress you" of grinding for like 10 hours in the second floor of a stratum? I liked 2 and 3 lots up until I hit the brick wall of not being able to kill anything and getting destroyed on the second floors of their dungeons. I loved the game design and playing them but always hated how you run into a quagmire of bullshit in those games.

If you have problems with the second floor of EO games, I don't think the series is for you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, you're right, gently caress me for having a question about if the new game is more accessible. That's literally all I wanted to know without a dick response like this.

vvvv Thank you.

I interpreted the question as whether or not people would recommend EO4 to you. So I gave my answer on the basis of the information you provided in the rest of the post.

If you just want to know if EO4 is more accessible, then yes, it's the easiest EO to date, and probably the one with the best learning curve.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Box art for the EU release of Project X Zone. They didn't change anything from its Japanese incarnation.

Namco's website also has some screenshots.

This game is going to bomb so hard it'll leave a crater on impact.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

coreycoryecorey posted:

If I am a person who is wanting to play some single player JRPGs and just RPGs, is the 3DS my best option at the moment?

Sorry if this is an odd question, but I am not really sure how to phrase it any better.

In the near future going forward, 3DS is likely to get the lion's share of jRPGs, although the 'biggest' jRPGs will be on consoles.

In terms of backlog, it's absolutely no contest if you include the DS lineup.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish there was more rpgs for the 3ds. Makes me kinda sad. Even a kickstarter rpg.

Well, we just got Etrian Odyssey IV and Fire Emblem, Soul Hackers is about to come out, SMT IV soon, and Etrian Odyssey: Millenium Girl somewhere down the line...

Atlus really is doing work on the system.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I can tell I'm gonna love Dream Team.

Wish there was more Bowser though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That has a bit more to do with the DS' pathetic start than real strengths of the 3DS, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Is UX good? I've been considering getting it, but haven't heard a single thing about it.

It's pretty much standard SRW, using L's partner system as the basis of the new gameplay.

Except that a lot of the animations are pretty bland and lack impact.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The plot and crossover stuff is fun but the animations are really poorly done. The actual gameplay is fairly traditional overly-easy K/L Partner-system stuff. The biggest selling point it has is a metric shitload of secrets and recruitables.

I also heard that in a series' first you don't need to hit the flags a second time in order to get a secret you unlocked previously during New Game+ but I haven't actually played New Game+ yet so I don't know that for sure.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Minidust posted:

From CAG I'm seeing that Project X Zone has a Newegg pre-order coupon (EMCXRWP236) to make it $33.99.

This is actually the first I've heard of the game and it looks neat. Plus Newegg is great and that means no sales tax for me. Is it basically a Fire Emblem-type game that's stylized as a Vs. fighter? Curious about any impressions since I assume it's had some sort of Japanese release by now.

I don't wanna be suckered in by the sheer fanwankery of it, but an Ulala/Chun Li tag team is hard to resist.
:goonsay:

Imagine Fire Emblem except every attack animation takes half a day to complete, and is unskippable because of QTEs during the animations.

And there are something like 100 enemies per map.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also it had playable Bowser and playable Bowser owns.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I thought PiT was decent but nothing special until the Final Boss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Speaking of Atlus, apparently their parent company Index is accused of accounting fraud. This... can't be good, right?

Qick, Atlus! Make EO5 before you go under!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

What kind of DS do they sell in Singapore? Is it the JP version or the EU version? I ended up buying a PSP at the mall with the movie theatre and the sword store when I was there in April, but I haven't tried to play any US games on it yet. Also I can't charge it without some weird adapter, lol.

For all intents and purposes Singaporean 3DS' are NA models. They also sell JPN models for those of us who like our import games, but those are more expensive.

DS and PSPs are region free, so those don't matter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to buy Project X Zone while at the same time strongly recommending that no one else buy it unless they like unfun grindy bullshit like I do.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BambooEarpick posted:

Man, a lot of people are talking poo poo about PXZ. It's like Super Robot Wars only with recognizable characters + the combat system from Super Robot Wars: Original Generations: Endless Frontier. What the gently caress is wrong with everyone? I am going to be crossing so many zones with so many projects.

A) Super Robot Wars (at least all the recent ones) allow people to skip/speed up attack animations at the press of a button. The combat system from Endless Frontier effectively prevents this from happening and frankly is the single most damning aspect of the game.

B) SRW is a lot better paced in terms of handing out new characters/moves/misc. goodies throughout the course of the game to keep you playing, as opposed to PxZ, which hits the end of the new stuff about 2/3 through. Also secrets and unlockable characters and all that. If it's in PxZ, I missed those.

C) SRW has nowhere near the number of enemies to slog through in a single stage. As it is, plenty of people already complain that the final stretch of SRW games consists of a trudge through armies of grunts that are physically incapable of killing you and bosses that are just big sponges of HP to be whittled down. PxZ is worse in that regard.

D) Giant Robots.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I believe the best way is to have a comprehensive tutorial and make it entirely optional.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Nintendo just released their quarterly report from April to June 2013. In regards to the 3DS:

quote:

-1.4 million 3ds units
-11M 3ds software units

Pretty disappointing numbers, but they turned a profit overall, so they should be pretty happy. Especially since Wii U sales sure as hell aren't picking up the slack.

Edit: Software:

quote:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 1,540,000 / 5,400,000
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 1,430,000 / 2,650,000
Tomodachi Collection - 1,390,000

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 31, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want a new Advance Wars too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I just heard the Bravely Default news. Awesome.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I've barely done anything with Theathrhythm 1 too...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The largest being Pokemon Black/White.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Is there a particular reason we haven't seen a Metroidvania Castlevania in a long while? Been kind of dying to play one these days.

They don't (didn't?) sell enough so now we get those half-baked LoS ones instead.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yes, but the PSP version uses analog instead of touch controls, so it's a different experience.

Also, no better way to describe it than Atlus themselves:

quote:

Knights really isn't too different from the other stylus-driven bullet hell strategy RPGs out there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Etrian Odyssey Untold is really making me appreciate the largely irrelevant plotlines and silent cast members of prior games in the franchise.

How about this mode where I make my own party members? Is that any better, or do they still give reams of bland, droning exposition?

Classic Mode has your entire party as silent as the grave.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Etrian Odyssey Untold in October.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

So do you just play Persona 4 over and over again or what?

Several hundred hours of Disgaea 3

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

NoonOwl posted:

Console war chat is great and all, but I have an actual DS question.

Has anyone played Avalon Code on the original DS? Amazon keeps recommending it to me, and it sounds like exactly the type of thing I would really enjoy. Reviews are super mixed, though, and the game is kind of expensive and hard to find. I'm just wondering if it's worth the $30-40.

http://lparchive.org/Avalon-Code/

quote:

Avalon Code: A Guide to Wasting Awesome Ideas

As someone who played it, I'll agree with Didja Redo and go with 'not worth it' here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I usually play without turning sound on at all. If I want to listen to VGMusic, I have OSTs.

• Locked thread