Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Strange Quark posted:

Is the 3DS charger the same as the DSlite's? I'm going to have to buy one eventually to use whenever I'm in Malaysia because of the different outlet plug and I know I can at least find the latter.

No, they have a different end, so a DS Lite charger won't physically fit in a 3DS.

A DSi charger will fit in a 3DS, but I don't know if they have the same voltage or not. (I would assume so, otherwise Nintendo probably would have changed the end to keep people from frying their systems.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I think KH3D's drop system would have been slightly more tolerable if, when you let yourself drop during a boss fight, it didn't get all its HP back. The game keeps track of your HP value (which caused me to die a lot when I dropped and forgot I was almost dead with the other guy), so it should keep track of bosses too. Alternatively, turn off the drop meter during bosses.

Basically, just make it so when you drop it's only annoying, without also erasing progress and adding an extra layer of lovely design.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Some people can play Kid Icarus with absolutely no control issues whatsoever, some people get used to them after a few stages, and some people never adjust and the game is ruined for them.

I never had any issues with the controls, but I think because that third group exists and is made up of more than two or three people, you can fairly consider the controls a failure.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Oxxidation posted:

Nintendo tends to have a very generous attitude towards system repairs and returns. It's not totally unbelievable.

I once sent a DS Lite in to be repaired after one of the shoulders broke off. They fixed it for free, and sent it back with a note that said "We actually charge for these sorts of repairs, but we'll make an exception this time."

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm playing Ocarina of Time and in the first dungeon I'm at a point where I need Deku Seeds for my slingshot, but I'm completely out. There's only two pots nearby that I've been spawn killing, but they never drop anything. Is it normal in this game to just quit the dungeon and go back to town for supplies, or should I be able to find what I need when I'm out and about? My shield broke and my wallet is full, so it seems like a good idea, but I don't want to lose my progress.

Deku Seeds normally come out of grass you cut and enemies you kill. I'm not sure if pots can even drop them.

But you can safely go back to town for supplies without worrying about your progress, any doors you've opened or puzzles you've solved will stay as they are, so at worst you'll have to run through a couple of already solved rooms to get back where you were.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Katana Gomai posted:

If you're going to reset when you lose someone, why do you not play casual mode?

Casual mode completely changes the strategies you can make and as an extension, how the game is played. In classic mode you have to treat every unit as important, but in casual you can safely send units on suicide runs because they'll just come back after the battle anyway.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

kirbysuperstar posted:

How the hell did you manage that. I just beat it now in 28 hours (I only go the game last Monday oh god), and that was with lots of support convo/MARRIAGE AND BABBIES grinding.

28 hours seems really fast if you did support grinding. Did you skip some paralogues or turn off animations? It took me something like 40 hours to beat the game, but I left animations on the whole time (with sped up movement) and every eligible woman on my team had a kid.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Perfect Potato posted:

You might be projecting your own Alpha Protocol persecution complex a bit here since I don't actually have much of a problem with the Awakening thread and besides one bizarre "series grognards" comment from someone the discussion has been fairly friendly and cordial.

Moving on from whatever that was I got VLR in the mail yesterday and before I start I want to make sure, the whole catastrophic save bug can be avoided by not saving in puzzle rooms right? I'd ask in the appropriate thread but I want to go in as fresh as I can.

Also I've heard comments about dual voice acting, how good is the English voicework? I already listen to plenty of Japanese stuff so I'll probably go with that if it's half decent.

Yeah, never save in a puzzle room (this includes any time you enter a puzzle room during a novel section) and you shouldn't get the save bug. I would also make sure to save whenever it looks like you're about to enter a puzzle room, because sometimes they crash the game, and you wouldn't want to lose an hour of progress because you hadn't saved in awhile.

I really liked the English voice work, personally. I think it's better than the Japanese version, if only for Zero III, because you can tell her voice actor had a ton of fun with the character.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Does anyone know why two 3DSes will just randomly decide not to street pass each other for a day? It happens pretty often, a friend and I will both have our 3DSes and we'll both get street passes from other people, but we won't street pass each other all day. But then the next time we see each other, we'll street pass each other just fine.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fooley posted:

You need 24 hours before you can streetpass the same person again.

Yeah, but this will happen if we haven't seen each other for a week.

edit: As a side note, I've also passed the same person twice in one day before. I think the actual limit is more like 12 hours.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

FrickenMoron posted:

Guides wont give me better controls though. Amazaon generally gives a 14 day refund on almost anything, I'm not sure if they do software too now but I can try if I don't like it I guess.

I'm not familiar with Amazons policy, but most places won't offer a full refund for opened games, they'll only exchange for another copy of the same game. This is to prevent people from buying games, ripping the data, and then returning the game for a refund.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I really liked it...the swapping between 2d and fps thing really clicked with me.

You know, I never understood how people had trouble with that mechanic, because it all worked perfectly for me.

Until I got a bigger TV, and now whether I put the sensor bar on top of it or beneath it, it's awkward to find the cursor initially. This isn't a problem for any other game, you find the cursor once and then never have to worry again. But in Other M it makes first person mode a gigantic pain in the rear end, because I have to point in some weird direction to get the sensor bar to pick up my remote, then I switch back to third person, and then I have to find it all over again the next time I go first person.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I love 3D Land but I've also had problems with dying because I couldn't tell what depth Mario (or more often Luigi) was at and would miss a jump.

Nintendo expects you to solve this problem by turning the 3D up. Of course, that's not an option for everyone, and turning 3D off can make the game a lot harder sometimes.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Did I somehow miss it or does the 3DS not give any sort of low battery warning?

The blue power LED on the bottom of the system turns red, and I want to say the Spotpass LED flashes red for a second, but I may be mistaken on that one. The way you hold the system may be covering the power LED, I've definitely not noticed my battery going dead because my hand was blocking the LED.

That's how it works with the original 3DS model, at least. No idea if they changed it for the XL.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ages is also more colorful, whereas Seasons has that drab and awful Underworld. And the loving dance minigame :suicide:

Ages has a dance minigame too. I want to say it's literally copy-pasted from Seasons with Gorons instead of Subrosians, but they might have changed it up a little bit.

Ages also has a ton of other, equally terrible minigames and loads of tedious quests like that goddamn island near the beginning.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

BadAstronaut posted:

Any trip reports for the newly released Oracle Zelda games? Are there any advantages to buying on 3DS eshop considering I already have the old gameboy color version? Other than being able to play it on the 3DS of course... Are there GBA dungeons? How does one transfer content between seasons and ages?

None of the GBA content (which I think was just a store) is active in the eShop version for some nonsensical reason. You transfer content through a password system where one game gives you a password to enter into the other game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Color Printer posted:

Partners in Time is okay but whoever decided that it really needed a three-part final boss with a ton of HP can go gently caress themselves, especially when the Phase Three is Phase Two But Needlessly Harder.

I gave up on the final boss of that game. Not because it was too hard, but because I got bored and turned the DS off.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

BambooEarpick posted:

So, when I get my 3DS, should I wait until next month to register it? Does that mean I can't buy anything from the e-shop until next month too? I want to maximize my Nintendo Club points so I can get to plat.

I would definitely wait to register your 3DS/link it to your Club Nintendo account, because it's worth like, 200 coins.

You can sign into the eShop and purchase things without linking it to an account, but be warned that you won't get any Club Nintendo coins for purchases made while your 3DS isn't linked up. If there's nothing you want to play right away, and you want to maximize coins earned toward next year's platinum status, hold off on doing anything eShop related until next month, and then link your account to your 3DS and buy whatever you want.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Minidust posted:

You can link the 3DS to Club Nintendo without registering it. There's some basic email sign-in stuff for the linkage, and then you can just hold off on registering the code that came on the little paper insert.

I thought linking it registered it automatically, but I might be thinking of the Wii U or misremembering or something.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Behonkiss posted:

I ran into some Miis at MAGFest in January whose catchphrases were "=3 Fluttershy =3" or something to that regard, so I feel your pain.

Also, can't believe we're finally on the cusp of New Leaf's release. That game was teased three years ago!

Somehow, I don't think I ever ran into any pony Miis at MAGFest, despite going both years since the 3DS came out. I did pass a fantastic Hank Hill though, who is still my favorite Mii in my plaza.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Amppelix posted:

Don't get Metroid II, it sucks and is bad. Play this thing instead whenever it comes out.

Link & Launch is supposed to be pretty good.

Alternate opinion: Metroid II is pretty fun and you should play it. (Disclaimer: I'm a huge Metroid fanboy and I also like the NES game, which I actually do think is terrible and no reasonable person should get enjoyment from it, yet I enjoy it anyway.)

There's no map, and the game is a little linear (which kind of fixes the "no map" problem), but if you can get past those shortcomings, it's a fun little game. It's kind of in-between Metroid and Super Metroid in terms of features. They introduced crouching and a couple upgrades like the Space Jump, but your moveset isn't as varied and flexible as it is in Super Metroid.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Earlier some people were worried about the Wii Fit Trainer and Animal Crossing dude not being in the 3DS version of SSB4. I just went into the eShop and checked the "3DS Trailers" category, and both their announcement videos are in there.

Of course, all SSB4 videos could be categorized as trailers for both Wii U and 3DS regardless of content, but it at least inspires some confidence.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Bottom Liner posted:

They clearly stated the character roster will be the same. The stage pool is different in each version, but the characters aren't.

Oh, did they? The last statement I read was that they'll have the same "number of characters." I didn't realize they clarified that point.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Bigass Moth posted:

Man talk about gimmicky, every time you want to change your items you have to fumble around with the touchscreen?? You do that roughly five zillion times in a Zelda game.

You didn't play Ocarina of Time 3D, did you? Touch screen item selection is way faster than navigating a menu and makes switching way less annoying.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got stuck at that Desert Spider thing or whatever it is. I think I'd be willing to sit down and finish the game if I knew a strategy against it.

Make your party Stocke (of course), Raynie, and Marco. Aht and Eruca are very fragile and are difficult to keep alive in this battle, and since it takes up all 9 squares, Aht can't use traps so her usefulness is severely limited.

Have Marco cast Magic Up on Raynie, and poison the spider with either Raynie's Poison Strike or with a Poison Wing item. Focus mainly on keeping yourself alive (the poison will eventually get it to 1 HP if you wait long enough). Whenever you feel comfortable attacking, try to strategically change turns and use Mana Bursts to give you a large combo, then have Marco use all of his turns casting Trans-Turn with Raynie, so that only Raynie and Stocke get turns (if Raynie's buff has worn off, have Marco recast at the start of the combo). Alternate between G-Fire with Raynie and Double Slash with Stocke, and you can deal quite a bit of damage, which will make the fight go much more quickly than waiting for the poison to get its HP to 1.

Here's a video of it I made awhile back. I made a few mistakes, but it might help anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMjlc8Qrwj0

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Shoehead posted:

Anyone tried out the Streetpass DLC?

Doug Dinsdale got them and shared his opinions over in the Nintendo Downloads thread.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
More avatar creators need to give you RGB sliders for hair color. You can dye your hair whatever color you want, so why not let people have a Mii with hair in any color of the rainbow?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Zaphod42 posted:

The 3DS is painful for anybody who isn't a small child. The XL is so much better, as a combination of larger size and more rounded edges.

There's a reason the thread title is what it is. :colbert:

I've got absolutely enormous hands and I've never had a problem with the 3DS cramping them, even playing Kid Icarus without the stand for two or so hours at a time.

Not to say that I don't believe the 3DS could hurt someone's hands, but it's totally possible for a giant of a person to play it comfortably for extended periods. I'm actually a little curious about how other people hold it so that it causes hand pain.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Need to see if anyone is selling the stand without Kid Icarus. (FPSes make me stupidly motion sick, and boyfriend is left-handed, so no one in this house would get any use out of the game.)

Nintendo's online store has them for $4.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Policenaut posted:

I always fill out those Club Nintendo things in full. I figure if Nintendo apparently wants to read (in 250 words or less) about what I think about a thing then why not? I usually just end up yelling at them to make the 3DS/Wii U region free though. Yeah I know it has nothing to do with this survey I'm filling in about Project X Zone just do it.

Hey, thanks. I've been looking for something to replace "Put EarthBound on the Virtual Console" with in all my surveys.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Nintendo 3DS General Discussion - Yes, use a PC to copy your old SD Card.

For real, I think it would be more useful than the current title.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Does anyone have an opinion about Pilotwings or Steel Diver?

Pilotwings is fun but very short, even if you get the highest ranking on every mission. You probably won't be able to stretch much more than 10 hours out of it. I'd say it's worth $10 if you can get it that cheap.

Never played Steel Diver.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I think these are new. First one I saw was Animal Crossing in late May.

They've been there for awhile, actually. I remember filling out the survey for Donkey Kong Country Returns and then I kept putting off registering it and "Register Donkey Kong Country Returns" was on my to-do list for two years.

I haven't seen them recently though. Maybe they got rid of them and then brought them back?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dehry posted:

The Gateway 3DS team broke region lock and can get around firmware requirements. I hope that Nintendo blocks this card before Pokemon XY comes out. It was expected, but I wasn't expecting this so early.

You hope Nintendo blocks it? They broke the region lock, why would you ever want that to be fixed?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dehry posted:

The thing can only play ROMs not the legitimate games. It would be nice if someone could mess with it to play legitimate games, but right now it's all about them selling an $80 flashcart.

The $80 price tag is a bit too much, but if the flashcart was cheaper (and if saves were more secure, assuming they haven't fixed that) I'd be willing to download Japanese ROMs after importing games I want to play. (Yes, I'm aware this is still illegal. As long as the developers get their money and I get to play the games without buying a Japanese 3DS, I don't really care.)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's more relaxing than difficult but it gets tough near the end and then an additional selection of harder puzzles is unlocked.

Same with Crashmo.

Maybe I'm just an incredible dumbass, but I thought the first ten or fifteen post-tutorial puzzles in Crashmo were already harder than anything in all of Pushmo, and it only got harder as I progressed.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, it sounds like you'll get all your stuff, but on a generic colored system.

It's a shame Nintendo isn't willing to just swap out the guts so you still have that cool limited edition face plate.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Ok, it has the face in common. But I think this is a bit disingenuous, the icons here aren't fully personified and literally dancing around to cutesy music. I really don't think "Nintendo employs a childish interface aesthetic" is a controversial statement.

Yeah, but the only people who actually care about that are fifteen year olds who need to make sure everyone knows how cool and hardcore they are. It appeals to kids, and adults don't give a poo poo about a smiling face on the store interface.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's probably Tarshtra that's triggering it. Those 3 letters trip off a lot of Nintendo's profanity filters.

I feel like when your profanity filter is targeting things that aren't actually curse words because they look like they might be an attempt to sneak around filters, you've gone too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Prorat posted:

Whaaaat. That's lame, I want to share my drawings! And it would be cool if people wrote their Friend Code on it... I donno...

You can attach photos to Swapnotes. There's no way Nintendo's going to let people share homegrown pornography with complete strangers they pass on the street.

And the friend code thing you mentioned is probably another reason why. You can't put a friend code (or any string of numbers, like your phone number) into your Mii Plaza greeting, either.

• Locked thread