Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hortism posted:

It's probably came up a lot in the old thread, but are there any other places that are as cheap as Amazon that will actually send to Australia?

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Something I just heard elsewhere, Super C, the VC title just released, has local multiplayer with only one copy of the game required.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Speeds vary on your memory card class speed. The cheaper it is, the slower it will be. I'd wager an average class runs at exactly the same speed as the real thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This arrived recently and, as the oddity it is, I thought you guys would like to look at it.

It's a sealed copy of Zekkyō Senshi Sakeburein, which translates to something like Exclamation Warriors. It's a bizarre little thing as it was an exclusive Club Nintendo Japan game in 2007, focused on multiplayer and on voice commands. I had never heard of it until I was looking for more information on another Club Nintendo Japan exclusive, Tingle's Balloon Fight.

A multiplayer game using only one cart and up to three players, you are a group of Sentai ("Power Rangers") and you use your moves by shouting their names in unison. You can see a video of a group playing it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM7ZlAok5nQ

It's all *punch* *punch* *kick*.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

What did it cost you?

The cheapest I could snag it from ebay was $18.89 + $4 (shipping). The others were around $25, I think.

Geektox posted:

I'm kind of considering getting a XL, is my Nintendo Ambassador'd black 3DS going to be worth more than a regular 3DS or do most people not care about that?

If you aren't going to transfer the games to a new system, you're basically selling one with a bunch of preloaded games, which should net you some additional money. I'd transfer them, though.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 27, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Here's a system transfer question I'm not aware of ever been asked around here before: when you transfer to another 3DS do you lose your current Friend Code and associated friends, or does it do the sensible thing and transfer those as well?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Boondock Saint posted:

That stuff transfers over as well.

Handy! Thanks.

In interesting news, "Square have shipped over 300,000 copies of [Blavery Default Fairy] in Japan thus far, and that actual sales figures should hit 300k by the end of the month". A sequel is being hinted, but still no news on a localization.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Vegastar posted:

It better have some wild improvements to justify the difference in cost.

Well, graphics and no need for a dumb accessory for one.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

We live in weird times.

Those are based on popular TV shows you talked about some time last year, aren't they? I'd assume it's not that surprising seeing as the 3DS isn't exactly targeting a specific audience and there's lots of adults who like their TV shows.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Overheating by extended use plus having it stuck on a pocket near your body may have caused the system to freeze. Not a big concern, but letting it cool down occasionally in the future while doing this for a long time is probably a good idea, even if just taking it off your pocket for a few minutes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Ugh, I wish .ca had it also, .com won't ship video games to Canada

I believe .co.uk does. It's probably not going to be cheap, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I wish SA Mart would be more popular with the Euro goons. I have a Tales of the Abyss to sell, while I'm looking for Kingdom Hearts 3D and Virtue's Last Reward for non-absurd ebay prices, but no luck so far checking there every other day.

I've been noticing that quite a few 3DS games in Europe are being printed in really limited quantities, lately, and my usual "oh, let's wait for it to drop in price a bit" isn't working as well as it used to what with some used games now going over the initial markup they had as new copies.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ripley posted:

Amazon UK has Virtue's Last Reward up for Ł19.99, with stock supposedly arriving on Friday, if that's any good to you.

Yes, that is! That wasn't there this morning. Hopping on it. Thanks!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Not only the lack of QA in VLR is evident, the 3DS supports game patches. I'm amused at the complete lack of interest in this huge issue in their own game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

We are not getting Ex Troopers, but maybe this means Layton x Wright and Terry's Wonderland. Maybe. Hopefully.

Katana Gomai posted:

Look at the Vita to see how well "western" games do on handhelds.

Ignorance of the situation does not excuse this. All third-party "Western" games on the Vita have been rushed, cheap cash-ins so far since the high development costs do not justify otherwise when considering the system's sales figures. That may change in the future.

Most Sony games like Uncharted, Wipeout, or the upcoming Killzone are easily more "Western" than Japanese, and they are turning out to be rather good. The Vita just came out at the wrong time, with the wrong price point, and the worst handicap in those memory cards.

Also, if your definition of handheld games include iOS, you should note that all the big titles there are made in the US and Europe.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 31, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

From what I have seen, Time Travelers was rather neat. I've no idea why it bombed so hard in Japan.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

The general goon consensus (and probably the consensus everywhere else) is that Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars was one of the best launch games for the 3DS.

Which is telling of how terrible the launch line up was, considering how buggy and ugly Shadow Wars is. Fun strategy game to get on the cheap, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Danyull posted:

So with Rune Factory 4 coming to America, what's the general opinion on that against Harvest Moon? I was thinking of picking up A New Beginning soon but if RF is considered better I might just wait for that.

It's... different. You will find people who like both and people who like only one. Rune Factory with its focus on dungeon crawling, monster taming, battling, and more anime is different from your standard Harvest Moon solely focused on farming issues. Pick accordingly or pick both.

If you want a less laid back, more "hardcore" experience than those two can provide you will want Shepard' Crossing 2.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 1, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Europe got two White 3XLs, one with MK7, another with Mario Land 3D. The Pikachu one is White/Yellow, which isn't a... pretty color. I'm surprised the US hasn't got the White 3XL. I'm also surprised I can't have a full black 3XL; I don't care much for White and the other mixed colors are atrocious. It's not like I have money to upgrade right now, anyway, so hopefully next year there will be a black 3XL.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, man, why wouldn't people these days want tacky things from the 90's?

I mean, you could potentially release it as a "retro" limited model, while a NES one would now be considered "vintage", but I can't really see Nintendo doing it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Castlevania Mirror of Fate screenshots:

More here. Did everyone forget about this game or is the hype of a Castlevania game not as big as it used to be?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I would go digital if Nintendo was competent at it, but personally I don't think so. I have, without exaggeration, over 300 games on Steam. Three hundred. I'm all for digital. But we are talking about buying AAA games at $7.50 or cheaper in half a year of their release with the ability of playing them in any bloody system I have, past or future. It's a very different reality, to the point I couldn't imagine myself going digital with the 3DS (or the Wii U, if I ever get one) any time soon because there's no value to it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Much like in every other console, you need to rebuy the game if you want a digital copy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Games usually stick to the language you configured your system as. The eShop seems to have its own configuration based on your location (mine is in Portuguese, even though my system is configured to English). Certain 3DS games, much like their DS counterparts, may not come with all languages included in the cart but I can't think of any example at the moment, though I assume the new Professor Layton might be one of them.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You can configure both the language and location to your heart's content. Heck, the Australians pick the UK so they can buy games much cheaper than they would in their desolated wasteland of kangaroos.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

AcidRonin posted:

Wasn't there a goon friend code database some were?

There used to be, but it's been down for over a year now. I've considered taking a shot at creating something similar, but after the experience of setting up (including paying for) the Retro Gaming wiki only for nobody to use it, I'm not so hot on it.

It's not really hard to figure out why nobody's bothered that the goon friend code database is gone, though -- multiplayer games on the 3DS are basically MK7 and Kid Icarus. Mario Tennis, in spite of its quality or lack thereof, is region locked. Monster Hunter doesn't have online, not even ad-hoc. And there's a Swapnote thread for people who want to trade drawings.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

None on the 3DS. The Atelier series jumped to the Vita and PS3 exclusively.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The easiest way to figure out the Gateway and format for the IP is to type "ipconfig" in the Windows console. Just press Windows Key + R, then type "cmd", then type "ipconfig" in the black window.

Using a manual IP instead of the standard auto detection is how you go around problems with bad routers (like mine).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Chinook posted:

The two DQM: Joker games got released in NA, so maybe check those out. I haven't heard anything about the 3DS one getting a release outside of Japan

You'll find Terry's Wonderland to be a much superior game to the two DS Joker ones. We are apparently not getting it, though, as Square Enix doesn't know better and Nintendo probably isn't willing to publish it when they are coming out with a new Pokémon so soon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Just started. Same video for everyone, apparently.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

New Mario & Luigi game announced.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

New Mario Golf. Luigi Year my butt.

At least Waluigi's on it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh man, Satoru Shibata's on screen :allears:

Simultaneous Monster Hunter 3DS/U release on the 22 March in Europe. There are bundles for both consoles.

Full black 3DS announced. Dumb second stick accessory for 3XL also announced.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 14, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Holy smokes, a Fire Emblem bundle exclusive to Europe! Or not?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

We are getting Etrian Odyssey 4 :qq: you guys I'm crying. This is the best stream.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Code of Princess!

Old news. The EU digital-only release was already known.

New Inazuma Eleven, though? Oh yay.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Animal Crossing June 14 for Europe.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Etrian Odyssey 4 and a complete black 3XL? Couldn't ask for more. Thank you, Shibata!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is that promotion only for NA?

Yes. We had a similar one on January.

I'm watching the Japanese Direct now. Say whatever you want about Nintendo, but the fact I'm seeing the most important people in the company talking to people like me while wearing silly hats and trying to be human is something I'll never see in the likes of Microsoft or Sony.

There's also a game we won't be seeing here, but I found it rather interesting. From the makers of VLR and 999, a Detective Conan game that works as a visual novel you can see from the view point of any character.

Siliconera has more details.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

Why haven't those games come stateside? Because its soccer or what?

Well, the fact you can't even call it by its actual name is telling, but yeah, Football is strangely not popular in the US, whereas the rest of the world can't shut up about it.

And Europe just loves Football simulators. Ask Sega. Heck, they kept releasing portable versions of Football Manager on the PSP from 2007 to 2012, just because the PSP was somewhat popular here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hell, "soccer" or "football" isn't even that important when it comes to that. The relevant bit is that it's not enough popular in NA for Nintendo to release Inazuma Eleven there. The Football Manager PSP is a good example on what I was trying to convey; Sega didn't even bother to bring those games back to Japan, they were from the ground up developed for Europe alone.

There was some talk that even the Inazuma Eleven anime series was getting localized in some countries around here because it would be most likely as popular as Captain Tsubasa was back in the day. I'm not sure if that went anywhere, though.

jtm33 posted:

What is this Inazuma series all about?

It's a tactical RPG series completely focused on the sport. A good one, in fact.

It is rather anime, though.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2013

• Locked thread