Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Between Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey February is a good month for 3DS owners who enjoy punishingly hard RPGs. :v:

Playing Fire Emblem so soon after getting free of Xcom Battered Wife Syndrome felt like having a parfait on a Sunday picnic. Not getting obliterated because the bad guy was on screen and I wasn't in cover was downright confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'll represent the flip-side of that coin and say that, while I'm salty that the 3DS XL came out so close to when I got my normal, my Zelda 3DS is the most beautiful collector's edition I've ever seen and I think it'd look gaudy as an XL.

The normal 3DS reminds me alot of the GBA Micro with how sleek it is. And also how they both hurt my hands to use.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Holy poo poo whoever is forcing all these 3DS games to use polygons needs to be found and stopped. That game is likely to cause injury when viewed in 3D.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Obeast posted:

The only one I know to avoid is Rayman since the 3DS port is pretty eh compared to the other versions.

Man really? I avoided the Steam sale on the PC version yesterday because I was incredibly underwhelmed by the 3DS demo. How hard could it have been to make all the versions equal?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh my god there's a 3DS version of Culdcept?

Okay I'm on board with this region locking is a plague on humanity bandwagon.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why would anyone remember whatever game you are talking about much less everyone?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Constable Lemon posted:

One thing about the screenshots is that Yoshi and the enemies have kind of ugly looking 3D models that look weird compared to the art of the levels. I wish that they were sprites or otherwise flat instead, and looked closer to fitting in with the environments.

It doesn't help that Yoshi is taking up like a 1/5th of the screen making the game look like all those lovely Portable Version from years gone by.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's a Penny Arcade from a year or more back where Gabe says something about judging who is happier, the guy with one $40 game or the guy with forty $1 games. Having not played a lot of $1 games, it felt like a fair point. Now that I've experienced the breadth of mobile gaming, I'll stick to $40 games with actual studios and budgets behind them.

The Gamestop I go to has Steam wallet codes set up right next to the 3DS section and every time I feel slightly tempted to get Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem I see the Steam cards and feel utterly goddamn foolish for spending $40 on a game.

I did see yesterday that Animal Crossing is going to be $35. If it wasn't just a preview box I probably would have bought it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ugh, if I'm just starting 999 do I really have to worry about all this redacted nonsense on the previous page?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

EGSunBro posted:

I'm still buying the NA release because I want to support more bizarre stuff like this coming over, this is so out of the blue and weird, I'd hate for it to sell poorly and be used as evidence against the genres.

Maaan, please don't support licensed products because they are licensed. I mean, do what you want, but I can't fathom sending a worse message than "I don't mind this game being a bit poo poo because you included a bunch of sprites I recognize."

kater
Nov 16, 2010

As cool as Sonic 3D Land seems, it still seems to have the same spastic control problems they've always had in the 3d games.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I vaguely remember reading something about Nintendo coming up with a unified account system for 3ds during E3. Does this mean digital games won't be locked to the 3DS they are bought on? Did I just imagine the announcement?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why in blue gently caress is Mario & Luigi delayed in the US for a month? Why would they do this other than to make people resentful. My Nintendo Resentment Quota is loving full, I just want to play Mario & Luigi!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Call Now posted:

Comaole yourself with two times cheaper 3ds games

:stare: Man I find game prices here too bitter a pill to swallow. How... why... would you pay double?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I still love that the profiles for dem mans is the loving opposite of their association.

Also they are both ugly.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Exchange it. Takes a grand total of two minutes versus god knows how long with Nintendo.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Can anyone compare the new Mario & Luigi game to the Paper Marios? I typically enjoy M&Ls but can't stand the sheer amount of dialogue and text scrolling in Paper Marios, and I think that might be a decent litmus test for all the "ignore the reviews it's still a good game" stuff. I think someone said it was basically a clone of BiS? That would be a good thing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The 3D effect makes aliasing such a huge problem for me. In 2D it's just an ugly distraction that you can eventually get accommodated to. In 3D I've had it cause actual pain.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't like arguments that assume customers are ridiculously dumb, but Nintendo does realize that the words "3DS" are printed on every single game that's been made for it, right? On the spline, on the cover, sometimes within the actual friggin title? Why would you name the player of such things something explicitly *not* "3DS"?

Saoshyant posted:

Who is this for?

Four year olds. Without an ounce of exaggeration. Doesn't the 3DS still come with a Ages 8 & Up warning or something because of the 3D effect? Nintendo got to hook em while they young. It even looks like the screens are behind a foot of rubber.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I can't wait for all the bitching and crying from grown men and women about the abundance of tutorials in the next Pokemon game.

'Ugh, Jesus CHRIST! I already know how to connect to the internet using my 3DS to trade my 'mons, because I've been playing these games my entire pre-adolescent, adolescent, and adult lives! GodDAMITT Nintendo! You just gently caress, and gently caress, and gently caress...'

Yeah, you've deciphered Nintendo's grand scheme. Only sell Pokemon games to people that have never played it before.

Never loving mind that having an economy of words is even more important the younger an audience gets, I'm loving pumped to scroll some drat text bars.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh my god this Pokemon Direct video. The English dub does it's level best to imitate slow rear end text crawl.

Anyways, you guys are forgetting about Wartortle. There's only one Fat Heihachi themed pokemon, and that means it is the best. Also I vaguely remember biker Wartortles from the cartoon? Come on.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

trunkwontopen posted:

Are you looking to part with the DSiXL? If so, I may have a taker for you. The major difference between the DSi XL and the 3DSXL, is mainly the 3D. Well, that, and the 3DStore. And street passing.

And, you know, actually playing 3DS games.

If you bought the system from a real store within the last few days I can't fathom them not taking a return for it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I was browsing Gamestop's site and found this:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/3ds-system-black-gold-recharged-refurbished/107542?loc=bestsellers

They are taking old 3DSes and refurbishing them into Zelda collector's edition clones. :v:

It's sorta cool but also very very Gamestop.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man, I'm browsing the eShop for the first time in ages and see a video for Mario 3D World and get momentarily excited and then video is all "Only On Wii U." Why the heck is a Wii U game named "3D World"? Someone at Nintendo just thrives on confusing the gently caress out of people.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Cyra posted:

Not that this makes it better, but what they're doing is aping from when there was Mario Land on the Game Boy and Super Mario World on the SNES. Now it's like, Mario 3D Land on the handheld and Mario 3D World on the console. See what they're going for there?

I understand what you are saying but I'm also pretty sure Super Mario World didn't randomly have the word Gameboy in it.

I can't help but think this is Nintendo thinking that the problem people have with the NSMB games is the name.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nintendo games and Pokemon especially tends to keep it's resale value, so that's like a $25-30 differential that I'm not willing to abandon.

Especially with such a poo poo account system.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't expect anything besides 2DS and Wind Waker HD.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Well I think I'm ready to strike Bravely Default off the list. I knew nothing about the game and just kind of assumed it was something other than Square's typical DS chibi Final Fantasy ugly. And that VA did no favors.

Kirby too seemed kind of lame to be using messy rear end polygons. Hasn't that series kind of had a penchant for looking unique?

VVV If their development process for the game was literally write down all the Zelda conventions and then not do them they could make the game a strict 3-heart run.

kater fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 1, 2013

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bland posted:

You command minions you caught in turn based fights and that's where the similarities end.

Isn't SMT pretty Rock Paper Scissors?

Pokemon is Rock Paper Scissors like a motherfuck.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

There's a fairy pokemon type now? :stare:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

I feel like it's like the touchscreen was for the DS, only worse. You had the split of games where some were created with it in mind as a control scheme, some that had the touchscreen tacked on as a halfassed afterthought, and some that either just gave a quick optional nod to it or ignored it completely.

The 3D for 3DS games, on the other hand, is probably not optional for developers-- I imagine any 3DS game that gets submitted to Nintendo without some usage of the 3D graphics would be rejected entirely.

The new Pokemon game doesn't use 3D for it's overworld, probably the majority of the game; and the performance of the 3D battling parts turns to poo poo with it enabled.

Which is the most :psyduck: thing ever because if there is one game that would define a Nintendo handheld it's Pokemon and it doesn't even loving use the namesake.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What was the final verdict on Kid Icarus being rear end to control? I've got just a normal 3DS and my wrists are so hosed up that just playing it normal is at times uncomfortable. Should I just avoid Kid Icarus completely?

Toys R Us is doing a buy one get one 40% off being the reason I'm asking. Their stock is limited and still really expensive, but there's got to be something I can buy with Pokemon.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

So I'm kind of into the 2DS etch-a-sketchy design, and I'm wondering if there any 3DS titles where the 3D is considered to be essential. Like, I'd imagine Mutant Mudds is a lot less fun without the depth effect, so I probably wouldn't bother with that.

The 3DS Classics line turns from lovely games with cool 3D effects into just lovely games.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just registered my 3DS XL to Club Nintendo and it looks like I'm eligible to get the first Zelda. Is it worth it? Or should I save my Marlboro MilesNintendo club points for something better on the horizon?

I wouldn't say I'm frugal with wanting to spend those points but the only games I've picked up since it started are Donkey Kong (94), Mario vs DK: March of the Minis, Kid Icarus 3D Classic, and this here Zelda. They might start routinely offering something besides Gameboy Mario Golf and Art Academies in the future, or they might not.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Autosaves would gently caress with the save scumming Pokemon basically begs you to do. And offering multiple save files would violate their profit motivated prime directive.

And yeah, the 3DS is laughably ghetto piece of tech. I can't believe this thing is two years old already, how long until the next one?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

I have a few friends who don't like the game because "ITS TOO EASY" and one crazy dude who thinks they messed up the physics in Mario games forever.

I liked 3D Land but I also kind of think the physics are totally hosed and they overcame this by making the Leaf ridiculously powerful.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is the Ace Attorney demo content from the game or something unique?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

I'm canadian in case region stuff applies.

Region taxes certainly apply. I have no idea if anywhere in Canada pays extra but I'm certain that specific states in 'Merica don't. Like Arkansas.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

gently caress 3D, totally. The 3DS isn't the most capable thing in the world, and every jaggy turns into a goddamn eye-dagger in 3D mode. Pokemon is just a hilarious example because not only is the 3D effect incredibly minimal and only present for half the game, but it totally washes out the color and destroys performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chaltab posted:

I'd just settle for a $20 Four Swords Adventure port to 3DS with local and online co-op.

Wasn't FSA given out for free on 3DS?

• Locked thread