Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Seconding Donkey Kong 94. Probably one of the best Gameboy games, period.

vvvv This is a really good OP man, plenty of content, not too long. What's your beef? :colbert:

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Buy the XL.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
PW games are really good if you don't mind having to connect dots that occasionally make almost 0 sense whatsoever before you actually put the pieces together in court. It's kind of like playing a Professor Layton game; you always run into a few of those puzzles that are just stupidly assembled.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
e; this is old as poo poo whoops

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
MP:H has poo poo for replay value in the single player, and LAN multiplayer was ok. However, the real fun was when people played over Wifi. Nintendo WFC was notorious for having loving abysmal latency, and the damage taken was registered ~client side~. This means that you had to lead your shots into empty space so that when the lag happened, the shot would be where they ended up. This was hilarious as there were both hitscan and projectile weapons that could arc and persisted on the ground. Combine this with inconsistent latency differences1 and the fact that the physics were Megaman-style2, and you had a surprisingly deep and complex metagame.

1. 0.1-0.5 seconds or, rarely, up to 1.5.

2. Jump and change your momentum without delay multiple times in the air.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The worst part about the first game was the 30 minutes tutorial that had shitloads of unskippable dialogue and worldbuilding, but after you physically left Vale the game picked up quite a bit. Plus the second game is about twice as long as the first and has vastly superior set pieces, in addition to being more polished. It was called uhhhhh The Lost Age if I remember correctly. It might just be rose-tints on my face, but the second game aged very well and the story wasn't -that- bad. It wasn't some revolutionary plot or anything but it certainly wasn't like it was ruining the experience. The artstyle was really cute and the music was excellent. The difficult was slanted to be very easy, but like I mentioned earlier, someone put out a fan patch that fixed pretty much every single gameplay deficiency in terms of challenge. TLA is still one of my favorite GBA games and I replay it about once a year.

We still don't talk about Dark Dawn.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
MP:H had really fantastic and tight controls that happened to have horrific side effects. Namely, when you played you cramped really badly until your hand adapted to playing regularly, and you were pretty much guaranteed to ruin both your L and R buttons as well as scratch the poo poo out of your screen. Stylus controls were really precise and tbqh I wouldn't mind comparing it to a mouse for precision. The game's dead zone for turning your character was pretty fair, and the sensitivity controls were fine. Using your buttons to turn your cursor though was a plague and felt choppy and bad.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's a shitload of content, for what 15 bucks asks.

I suspect that if they find the market for it, they will try to be very reasonable about their DLC prices, since this way they can essentially print money by just making DLC for something like Super Mario 3D Land. Just making new levels without having to actually worry about a new franchise is a game developer's wet dream, and Nintendo can probably justify it after this if the experiment goes well for them.

I mean they're like what 7 years late? But I digress.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 22, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Which developer is making Mario Golf? I remember Mario Golf: Advance Tour for the gba being one of the best titles for the platform, straight up. Camelot pretty much stole the poo poo out of their design concept from Golden Sun, down to having some of the characters in the spriteboard, but I still think the artstyle handled the 3D aspect of the game really loving well and it was a blast to play.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They have already made at least one fantastic Mario Golf game, I am now highly excited about this one.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
How they made a Golf game incredibly fun is beyond me but I guess that doesn't really matter does it?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyway, to bring things back on topic, why can't my 3DS XL fit in my pants pocket?? :v:

Back jeans pocket, roll out autobots we have shopping to do

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like the Amazing Mirror, it's pretty cool

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Other M was a terrible failure that continues to get awful words spoken about it. They probably see that as 'wow people don't like metroid anymore' instead of the more reasonable 'wow our decisions to make this game very not-metroid and gutting our strong female protagonist's personality didn't work out'

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Bought Dual Destinies and Link Between Worlds. Slammed DD in a few days, wow that was a great experience! They did probably the most authentic Ace Attorney experience you could get while still being 3D models; I was really surprised when they kept the quickly shifting portraits and working hard to make it look just like a 2D AA game. The 5th case was also incredible, despite the final cross examination being kind of...out there.

I'm absolutely shocked at how amazing ALBW is. It's -just- hard enough that I have to think about almost every puzzle, but I've never gotten stuck for more than 10 seconds. I feel clever and smart every time I pass an obstacle, and the creativity is pretty great. I'm rewarded every time I go "hmm I should check the other side of this because there's no reason for me to be over there" like clockwork. The throwbacks to the original game are really strong and are definitely giving me some great experiences. The puzzles are certainly hard though, considering I'm a grown rear end man. My favorite one so far was when
you got to the missing bridge next to the Witch's House. The person you talk to at first suggests that you'd need a running start to jump that, so I immediately assume that I'm going to get some running boots like I did in the original. But I don't! Stumped, I turn to the fortune teller, only for him to go "hmmm maybe you should use your -unique ability- to pass that gap" and I felt like such a retard. Beautiful trap set by Nintendo to prey on veteran Zelda players.

The only thing I don't like about ALBW is that Link looks and sounds like Jimmy Neutron in a Link outfit. Woof on the artistic decision there.

This game seems surprisingly hard! :ohdear: I'm curious at how difficult it is for children to solve some of these puzzles. I can clearly see some excellent hand holding features built in that make the game not frustrating (the items you NEED to beat the 2nd and 3rd dungeon are discounted early game, which both hints that you need them very soon and allows losing items on death to really only punish players who spend the big money on luxury items like the Ice Rod/Fire Rod (which i suspect will be needed for more difficult/optional puzzles, which is fine). Being able to buy items outright feels good because as the player progresses and dies less, they save money so that when they die they're inconvenienced less by having to re-rent items and can put that money towards the real expenditure; purchasing bottle after bottle of milk. Getting the offer to have a song to go along with my milk was incredibly charming, but I had no milk so I couldn't possibly accept. Then I found out that someone in town conveniently sells a bottle. I purchased it (also found the smooth stone, hey I need this too great) and went and got me a bottle. Drank my milk at full hp while the music played, then went back 3-4 times and got refills. I enjoyed the moment more than I should have, tbqh. The game is incredibly charming and it really deserves that GotY claim.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 9, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I keep pretending that pieces of Heart I get are PhDs describing what I did to get it after deciding that I was basically cosplaying Jimmy Neutron cosplaying as Link. So far I've gotten an Associates in Snake Killing, Waterfall Cave Entrance Discovery, and Exploration, all of course marketable skills in Hyrule. I also have a Bachelor's Degree in Tower Climbing, Painting Navigation, and Cylinder Slaying.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
How is there a lack of direction in MM?? You have 4 corners to go to, and you eventually realize that you can only go to one with your current powers (also the theming matches your first mask power). You go to the region only to be told about "Problem X", which, if you dig around for answers, will tell you that, surprise, there's a dungeon that the problem is located at. Then you go to the dungeon, find the items, beat the boss, and then the area comes back to normal. If going into a region only for people to tell you 'oh man look at this problem we have' and you're just totally unmotivated to at least expend a minimum amount of effort into following the provided hints and dialogue to solving that problem, you probably shouldn't play MM. The only part of the game that is somewhat obtuse at -all- is the very beginning, on the first three days. Even then it's not that hard.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
OoT3D has only improvements to the graphics and you could hardly argue the game's creepy vibe suffered much for it. The music and the artstyle are the main contributors to the feel of Zelda and the overall tone of the game. Games like LTTP and Link's Awakening are very depressing and grim right from the get go, while games like Wind Waker are very bright and cheery, despite bad guys/fortresses/Ganondorf. Majora's Mask has very creepy music and the art for the game is very jarring. I think putting some of the art assets such as the mask itself or the Mask salesman, the bosses, and Clock Town into the 3DS engine and making everything sharper would only improve the room for the game's spookiness.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 9, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Why is Link's Awakening so empty and cold... :ohdear:

e; Also character interaction plays a very big part of the worldbuilding. In games like LA and LTTP, you don't talk to hardly anyone for the whole game except some shop guys. In LTTP, if you try talking to people in town, the castle knights come to kill you. Being alone is a very strong feeling in those games because of it. In Majora's Mask, there's plenty of people to talk to, but most of them have problems that make them very depressing to talk to, and even if you FIX their dilemma and make them happy...you just reset the clock and they become sad again. No matter what you do you can't fix the happiness of the inhabitants of Termina permanently. The idea that the N64's graphics were integral to the game's mood is ridiculous.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 9, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Since Link never sleeps in Termina you could also argue that MM is actually just a gigantic insomniatic mental episode.

The game is chock full of things that are similar, but not the same to their OoT counterparts. Very dream-like in nature there. Also reliving the same three days, but never sleeping.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 9, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oh my loving lord this Big Bomb Flower is the cutest thing I've ever seen :3: :3: :3:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
ALBW is obviously the same world but it's really as if it was an empty castle and someone else just moved in. Yeah, there's still a dungeon in the Swamp, and there's still a marsh in the mirror world of the desert, but most of this is just the original pieces being used to tell a new story. The order in which you go to each area is completely up to you from what I can tell, although the game gives you hints and tries to prod you in certain directions, and really it's like someone was just told 'ok here's LTTP, you need to make a new Zelda directly on top of these assets' and that's it.

Actually, I could probably make the following comparison and not be too far off:

LTTP:ALBW::Tron::Tron-Legacy

This game is a love letter to the previous and has very similar pacing and overall questing goals, but the stylistic decisions and gameplay are decisively different and have a very clean and modern feel to it. The menus and overlays are very crisp and shiny, there's 3D effects loving everywhere, all the sounds and the music are extremely overdone but in the best possible way, and for what it's worth it took a very gloomy world and made it colorful, bright, and cheery, while still keeping 100% of the top-down Zelda feel. Dungeons are completely remade from the ground up, and not only use the 3D in staggering amazing ways (Hyrule Castle was beautiful :allears: )but the puzzles are really interesting and the game doesn't hesitate to give you new items, old items, and then do some Megaman-style poo poo where they introduce how something interacts with you, introduce how something ELSE interacts with you, and then gives you a puzzle to solve involving both techniques. The game is a fantastic example of what good game design looks like (with the exception of the decision to make link look like CD-i link like seriously wtf nintendo why) and it is a better Zelda than half the Zelda catalogue.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Wait do those coins represent StreetPasses?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
No wonder I only had 8 coins to be taken by SMT IV; I never walk anywhere with it! :v:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The playcoin is a good idea though. It encourages Streetpassing inadvertently which is otherwise pretty hard to do outside of the cramped confines of urban Japan.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Beat ALBW, the twist was obvious but cute. Glad to see that Nintendo is doing to Zelda what they did to Mario; namely, they treat the characters as if they're actors in a play being cast.

gush: In ALBW Ganon is just being used explicitly, he isn't even the big bad. The only puzzle combo that I didn't like is Thieves' Town being required to do Desert Palace. It wasn't very obvious how you get into that dungeon and it was kind of frustrating. Having the thief girl being a bona fide thief girl that you just rescue for the sake of it and her NOT turning out to be the boss was a nice twist on the original Thieves' Town dungeon. Desert Palace was cool, having the whole dungeon in the Light World and just having a wall crack (what is the formal name for these) lead to the boss who has to be in Lorule for the sake of it was cool. Sand Rod was a cool tool and I can't decide which dungeon is my favorite. The game design is just incredible in all of them and none of them were a slog to do. I was getting some really great vibes from Desert Palace though; the music in this game is awesome!

Oh yeah, props for Nintendo turning all the themes of the Ice Palace (Multi-levelled depths of a dungeon, tongue levers and falling to lower floors) while making the dungeon not rear end. Seriously gently caress the original Ice Palace. Actually gently caress most of the original dungeons.

I appreciated that upgrading the an item to Nice! status before the dungeon you needed it for had real benefits to it. Bigger bombs felt useful, Nice!Rod and Nice!Fire Rod were great assets in their respective dungeons.

The final boss was really great too. Ganon!Yuna's first form was lightning fast, but his side swipes were shield blockable. His stab and power stab weren't, but they had tells and you could sidestep. It was really intense and it felt good to react in time and block hits and then wail on him.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 11, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
When does the Hoenn remake come out?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
For everyone still posting about Mario Golf:WT in this thread, we have a dedicated MG:WT thread now. Go post there, and play with us.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It costs us way less here though and we get it like 2 weeks/ a month earlier. The price we pay :911:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
SotN 2DS :v:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Dehry posted:

Xenogears is a Square-Enix property. It would be Xenoblade if it were real. Not to mention the jpeg artifacting gets quite heavy around the text.

Or something else besides Gears. I'd rather not have to play a franchise where characters unbutton their chest as a critical part of their operation and attack.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Well it was a slow burn but with Zelda U, the new Xeno game, and Smash Bros headed to the Wii U it might finally be time to try to acquire one. Nintendo finally putting out some games.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Did I not put enough reluctant overtones into my sentence? :v: It will be easier to find one for cheap before Holiday when the games actually come out, methinks.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Every drat time! :argh:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
When you think about it, a Kart racing game doesn't have a whole lot of stuff compared to your average platforming game or RPG in terms of content to render, so they can really take their time and lovingly render some of those courses. I thought MK7 looked pretty great, but MK8 is just unreal. It's almost like the Wii U might have a strong library that you don't have to lie to yourself a little to purchase the system! :shepface:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Awakening was a pretty great experience but it kind of took the satisfaction of end-game builds out of the game. Stat-caps are just ridiculous and compared to a slow-burn game like Sacred Stones, you really don't get to enjoy the class archetypes as much imo.

If they took Awakening's engine and graphical standards and went back to a more traditional power-curve game, I think there'd be a large audience for it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Windex isn't for plastic, probably caused some component of the screen to have a catastrophic failure. (note to self: do not use windex on 3ds)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The presentation will be the revealing of the new Metroid game and Reggie's immediate attempt to beat the game in less than an hour and a half.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Finally my life's greatest work, Mischief Makers 2: Electric Boogaloo, is about to make it's grand premier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It helps that Nintendo has the infrastructure to make demos happen, and since they have a pretty tight leash on development, they can just ask demos to be a part of the development process.

• Locked thread