Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I picked up HarmoKnight today and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed. The levels are quite easy to get a "gold" rank, and there isn't much reason to try to get a pefect. All the bosses are the same kind of "simon says" format that gets boring pretty fast. Bit.trip Runner 2 is a much better game for $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm just hoping the new Yoshi's Island has a feel more like the original as opposed to the DS one. The DS one just felt too slow and clunky. I loved the first one because how fast everything moves and happens, you can aim and throw eggs so naturally and quick. I hope that having 3D models doesn't slow the game down at all.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Link also had pink hair in LttP but people would freak if he had it in the updated game.
The eShop trailer on the DS looks pretty boss but Yoshi's Island looks terrible without those thick black lines to make everything noticeable and pop.

One thing about the screenshots is that Yoshi and the enemies have kind of ugly looking 3D models that look weird compared to the art of the levels. I wish that they were sprites or otherwise flat instead, and looked closer to fitting in with the environments.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

GameXplain got to try out Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and made a short video of their impressions of the game. It looks like a ton of fun so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M9eLt3sEnE

When he said that people in Luigi's dreams just compliment him all of my worries that this game would go down the same route as Sticker Star were dashed. :allears:

The videos of the new Zelda were everything I could have asked for too. I just hope the overworld is just as open as the first LttP.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nintendo 3DS General Discussion - Yes, buy Fire Emblem Awakening.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wow, my top played games are a lot.

1. Pokemon Black 2 98:51 (yowza!)
2. Fire Emblem Awakening 89:45 (I haven't even beaten the story, this is mostly slow support grinding, plus some play time from a friend)
3. Pokemon Soul Silver 40:30
4. Professor Layton and the Last Specter 36:08
5. Paper Mario Sticker Star 30:50 (I hate this game :negative: )
6. Pokemon Black 29:28
7: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity 27:28
8. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask 22:29 (it is #1 in average time played because when I got to the last couple chapters I just marathon'd it straight through)
9. Pokemon Pearl 17:17
10. Kid Icarus Uprising 15:43

I play way too much Pokemon. :japan:

Barudak posted:

Wait how are you guys taking so long in Fire Emblem? Are you all save->reloading? I beat every mission available on playthrough one on hard in 16:21.

I played this game way too meticulously. I love the support conversations, and I want to see just about everyone's, so I just spend a lot of time fighting risen or spot pass teams to grind support. Plus a lot of the time is just me being bad at the game and having to reset because someone died near the end of a mission.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shoopuf posted:

Oracle of Ages/Seasons is supposed to be out today, right? Because it's saying they aren't on the eShop yet. Is the "at 9AM" thing running on PST instead of EST and I just need to wait ten minutes?

Presumably, yes. It's just been twelve hours of disappointment for me since I realized this when I tried to download them at midnight.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Doesn't matter. Each is a standalone game and they can be played in any order.

One thing though - don't swap between the two of them since you won't get the full benefit of linking one completed game to the other and would miss out on the final boss and stuff.

You can swap between the two if you don't mind going through one or both of the games twice. I know I'm alternating games after each dungeon and I'll just start the new linked games on both of them at the same time too. :v: I really like these games so I don't mind.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Amppelix posted:

So, the Yoshi's Island game for 3DS. Guess what it's called?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtJyud6dFNM

Yoshi's New Island. I poo poo you not.

Still looks really mediocre.

I have a feeling this game is going to be very disappointing. Look at that idle animation for Yoshi. The new model has absolutely no charm in it at all. The music sounds pretty lame too and the title does not make me feel like this game will be very interesting.

I hope I'm wrong but dang, it looks worse than the DS one.

Mario and Luigi looks fantastic though. Any word on a NA release for that special Luigi 3DS XL?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

No Layton vs Ace Attorney in the US.

Have they outright confirmed this? :ohdear: I want to hold on to whatever hope I have left.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Has there been any word on the Luigi camo design 3DS XL being released anywhere outside of Japan? Probably not, right. :smith:

I've been holding out on getting an XL for a cool promo design to come out in North America but it seems like it will never happen.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dream Team is up on the NA eShop if you wanted to get it tonight. There is also a demo if you want to try it, or just to hold you over until morning. :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So today I finally beat Virtue's Last Reward. I had beaten and enjoyed 999 beforehand so I knew what I was getting into.

(VLR ending spoilers:) I can't be the only one who thought the ending was extremely disappointing and confusing, right? I feel like the whole idea that the game was just intended to be part of a stable time loop for Sigma to try and prevent Radical 6 was an extremely stupid way of resolving the mystery, mainly because it avoids having to answer all of the "why" questions. Why did this part of the game have to happen this way? Why did these characters need to be here? They're all answered the same way: because they had to happen that way for the time travel to work. It's just such an unsatisfying answer. :sigh: I even read the epilogue that you get for beating all the puzzles on Hard, and that didn't really help much (aside from weirding me the heck out because my actual name is Kyle). I don't know, maybe I just don't have a good understanding of the ideas of quantum mechanics and 4th dimension theories. Either way, it just doesn't feel like a good ending at all, and I'm pretty disappointed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Gamestop's Black Friday ad leaked, the Zelda 3DS XL coming to the US? It also still lists Watch Dogs as being available, so who knows how legit it is.

This Zelda bundle is the exact thing I've been waiting for to upgrade to an XL since they were announced. Please be legit :pray:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Since most of you probably don't read the eShop thread or regularly check the storefront itself: Zelda 1, 2 and Link's Awakening are all on sale on the NA eShop this week, and they're gonna be doing a few more character-specific sales over the next few weeks (Megaman, Mario, DK).

What are the chances of any of the Donkey Kong Country games hitting either the Wii U or 3DS eshops for the DK week?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Hey LBW owners, is the 3D in it rad or just pretty mediocre?

The 3D is the best I've seen aside from Dream Team.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lexicon posted:

So I picked up Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D on a whim on a Black Friday sale. Maybe it's just me, but it is a... terrible game. The control scheme feels totally broken relative to other platformers or previous DK titles.

It's definitely different than the old DKC games, but once you get used to the controls and physics, it becomes one of the best platformers I've played in years.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Beating the game unlocks the boss arena as well as Dedede Mode, which lets you play through a herder version of the game (minus the super suck sections) as Dedede, similar to the Meta Knightmare mode from some of the more recent games. (Haven't seen the true arena, maybe it's another unlock)

-Kirby Fighters is a Smash-style minigame that lets you fight other Kirbys using one of ten copy powers; there's a single-player ladder for each available copy power, plus local multiplayer for 2-4 players (including CPU) via Download Play. There are five or six stages based on areas from older games, complete with stage hazards - the Lolo/Lala boss stage from the first game, Dedede's boxing ring from Super Star, a KDL2 stage with the animal helpers, etc.

-Dedede's Drum Dash is the other big minigame; it's a rhythm-based runner style game, where you have to time your button presses with the music to bounce off drums and collect doohickeys. Haven't really seen much of this mode, but it seems fun enough.

tl;dr: it's a Kirby game.

I wasn't sure if I was going to get this, because I'm not the biggest Kirby fan, but being able to play as Dedede in NG+ sounds awesome. Is Kirby Fighters local multiplayer only?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's gonna have a digital release too right? This is like animal crossing in that I always want it on my DS to check

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When the heck is Layton vs Wright coming out in the states? This isn't funny, NOA.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

raditts posted:

This is the game people are all hyped over? It looks dreadfully boring.

Fans are cool. Now I'm gonna be cool too.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TARDISman posted:

You can't have gay people in Tomodachi Life.

Well there goes my dreams of Waluigi and Hitler being an item

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

I just don't understand why this round of Pokemon remakes, as opposed to the the first two sets, are getting decried as "cheap lazy cash-ins".

Because water routes and trumpets

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Renzuko posted:

Are any of the extra street pass games worth it?

That depends entirely on how often you get street passes. All of them are pretty fun though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's the Pokemon MMO

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm gonna be real mad if I don't get in the exclusive tomodachi life demo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Is anyone else undecided on Tomodachi Life ?

The game comes with two demo versions to give out, so get one of those from a goon tomorrow.

Why they're making the demo a limited distribution I have no clue

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tomodachi Life is live on the eshop now. I made a thread for the game too, so you can dump your demo codes for goons to snatch up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640286

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Unoriginal posted:

Awesome, we're getting Gunman Clive 2! I loved the first one. Especially duck mode.

Gunman Clive was a great game for 2 bucks. That T-Rex boss fight is almost identical to the dragon boss in Megaman 2, which is good because Gunman Clive is literally megaman but western

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Meldonox posted:

This seems like a pretty opportune time to change the subject. I like football, and I like video games, but I don't like making uninformed purchases. Who can help me figure out if Inazuma Eleven is right for me?

Well, I'm sorry to say, but Inazuma Eleven is a soccer game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They honestly should make a setting that you instantly lose if anyone dies, just to save me the trouble of restarting

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Are there any good beat-em-ups on the 3DS that aren't 20 years old or an embarrassment to the human race? I could use something brainless.

smash bros is coming out soon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

This is like the best part of the Layton series though.

I'm pretty sure he straight up talks to animals in the first game too, if not then certainly the second one.
Despite all the strange things that happens in the Layton series, Luke being able to talk to animals always seems weird and out of place to me too but it's worth it just for the pay off it gets in Layton Vs Wright where Luke helps Phoenix to cross examine a parrot.

I hovered over that spoiler by accident and holy poo poo why does the US have to wait until the end of August

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's not awful.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lessail posted:

It might just be from playing with a cold, but Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D isn't all that fun. :(

I felt this way at first too, just give it time. Get used to the physics. Feel the game the way it wants to touch you. Take it slow- savor it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I feel like the Wii version of DKCR was better mostly because the controls on the 3DS feel worse. I had a blast playing on the Wii, but my hand cramps up playing on the 3DS from having to hold down the run button and use the shoulder button to roll. The only alternative is to use the analog nub which is just plain awkward to use for a precision 2D platformer. It's totally way worse than waggling to roll.

Just get used to the Circle Pad.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

raditts posted:

Does Tomodachi Life have save slots or anything that would let more than one person play on the same cart? My kids downloaded the demo and are going nuts over it, but I don't want to have to buy two copies.

It does not have save files. They could play on the same cart, but the game would only refer to one of them as the player

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Get Kirby at the best buy thing if you haven't already

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If I go to best buy and order in store or whatever, I'll still get the BOGO deal and get the games when they eventually restock?

I went today and they were all out, and looking online every store near me is out of almost everything as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It was impossible for me to order Bravely Default or Mario Golf but they let me order Kirby so I just got Pokemon to sell later

• Locked thread