Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I got the $99 dollar 2DS deal at Wal-Mart today because me and the missus wanted another DS so we could play multiplayer games together. Black Friday is a relatively new thing in Canada, and there was like no one at the store. I didn't even have to wait in line!

I went into my local Walmart at like 2am on the way home from my parents' house and the 2DSes were pretty much the only thing that hadn't been cleaned out, there were still like a huge stack of them. I'm guessing this is because of the same marketing issue as the WiiU, in that nobody knows what the gently caress a 2DS is and if it's different from a regular DS. I certainly wouldn't have known the difference if it was my first time seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mcvey posted:

Oh cool, Pokemon X/Y only lets you have ONE save slot.

The last one I played was Red/Blue way way back and I figured they'd have overcome that 'technical limitation' by now. Sweet, guess I'm not playing until I can get another copy(gf is already 5~ hours into it).

The gameplay has barely evolved past Red/Blue, no reason to believe anything else would.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DeadBonesBrook posted:

While trying to login to my Club Nintendo page I got an error and it dumped me to this page. I never knew this existed, its pretty funny.

Kinda looks like Error is flashing his junk at you.

MEET ME AT
GLORY HOLE
FOR SURPRISE

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DannyTanner posted:

You can try, but according to their site:

Yeah, I was at Best Buy this weekend and they have the sign up by the registers that explicitly says that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads up, Amazon has Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for $20 right now.

Is that supposed to be a deal? That game's like 5 years old!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Just as a note, I don't know if it was like this when it was posted or if Slickdeals turds got to it, but these are currently Store Pickup Only, so make sure you have a Best Buy in your area that has them. The only one in my area that has Fire Emblem is 40 minutes away so I hope that game's as good as you say.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The definition of Metroidvania can be pretty vague and superficial anyways, sometimes to the point where it's not very useful. When it's reduced down to "backtracking and accessing previously unavailable areas with new powers" it's pretty meaningless, to me at least, because often that's not very fun on it's own and not exclusive to Metroid or Castlevania (Zelda and Mario did this for example). Like, games like Guacamelee and some of the later Zeldas have fractions of heart containers littered around that you go back and get when you finally get an uppercut or bomb or something, but that's not really the basis of a game genre and often not very fun depending on how it's done, since backtracking has a bunch of disadvantages.

I'm not sure if it's my own definition of "Metroidvania" or if I'm intruding with my interpretation that's something else altogether, but the aspect I liked of those games: action games where the player has the agency to explore areas where the player is significantly "out of their depth" but can eventually progress via new powers and player skill to anywhere in the game world. In other words, the part of Metroid I really liked wasn't as much the ability to open various doors with 5 missiles, then 10, then a super missile, then a super bomb, to find little goodies behind, but rather the ability to go to Norfair or Brinstar too early and get rocked but eventually "be at home" in those zones and overcome that mountain. Rogue Legacy feels more like what I liked about Metroid and SoTN than Guacamelee, for example.

I'm not really sure if Cave Story qualifies (hence my original "?"), since I've never played it, and mostly just wanted to sperg out on Metroidvanias for a minute

:goonsay:

Hell, Zelda II qualifies under most of the requirements for a "metroidvania" but I don't know whether that's a positive thing or not.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Anyone else go to Toys R Us to get the $19.99 Pokemon Y deal? Turned out it was a misprint, so while they are still honoring the price they're not giving the $10 gift card for buying two of them.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did anyone try that sci-fi Harvest Moon spinoff for PSP? Given how little I've heard about it, I'm guessing it sucked?

Wasn't there one of those for PS2 as well? I think I may have picked it up at some point but it was after the last time I actually plugged my PS2 in. Gonna go finish my PS2 backlog one day, honest.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 6, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Electromax posted:

Two posts above yours. It's a misprint so it seems iffy that X would get included, they are just "honoring" the sale for Y.

I wasn't able to test that theory either, because strangely while they had like 10 copies of Y, X was all sold out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I didn't think of going to Best Buy to do a price match to try and get Pokemon X, but if any of you guys picked up an extra one I'll trade you for one of the two Y's I picked up. I figure my kids would rather have one of each so they can trade monsters or whatever and also tell which game is whose.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I took the Trus circular to Best Buy today when I was picking up Fire Emblem and Lego City, and they let me have Pokemon X no questions. I was actually kind of surprised at how hassle-free it was. With all the discounted 3DS games I've picked up over the last couple weeks I feel like I'm set for the next year or so.

RyokoTK posted:

I definitely enjoy the 2D games more, the pacing in most of the 3D Zeldas is atrocious. Ocarina of Time is still pretty good and worth another try, though.

Ocarina would be my least favorite Zelda if Zelda II didn't exist. It felt awkward to play even back when it came out. Of course I felt the same way about Mario 64 and that's also beloved for reasons I don't understand.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, well that was back in the era when boxart/promotional art/title logos didn't have to match up with the actual game at all.

Megaman1boxart.png

The Rockman 1 box art was pretty appropriate for the game, on the other hand.

It was only really the US box art for games that was garbage.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 10, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I got it there for $8 on Black Friday And Also the Two Days Before And After. Why has the bottom dropped out on the price of that game in particular? Does the 3DS version suck or something?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

majormonotone posted:

There's a new one, Scribblenauts Unmasked.

Well sure, but it's not like a new game in the series makes many (any?) other 3DS games drop in price.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think that's more of the phenomenon of the more games you have to choose from, the less likely you are to play any of them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Isn't that basically Recettear?

It's also a chapter of Dragon Quest IV and also a spinoff game of said chapter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Policenaut posted:

The demo is a completely standalone side story not featured in the full version, according to the Direct.

Will it have that stupid play limit that most 3DS demos have? That poo poo is the worst.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dehry posted:

The European version made a female character's bikini bottom into bike shorts. There's also something about rape being talked about, but I don't want to spoil myself to find out.

Well I certainly feel less like a creep looking at the picture on the left.

Veskit posted:

Why not run over to wally world and snag the Zelda bundle for the same price if that target doesn't have it, THEN also get another game.

I looked for the Zelda one at Target the other day but it was the only one they were sold out of. Do they have it on sale for the same price at Walmart? Or would I need to show them a Target circular or something? Somehow I get the feeling they won't just take my word for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MrBond posted:

Best Buy also price matches and is where I got mine. They check the online price or circular and then make you check stock in the local area if it's not for sale online (which it isn't), and /then/ call over a manager to override.

Must vary from store to store, I got Pokemon X from a Best Buy using the Toys R Us circular that only showed Pokemon Y for $20. I was surprised at how hassle-free it was.

I went to another Target today to see about the Zelda 3DS and the guy there said they're delisting it, although the locked case still had the price tag showing it at $150. Walmart seems to be the only place in my area that still has it according to their website, so hopefully between the circular I picked up and the picture I took of the price tag, they'll match it for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't think anyone should be playing Phoenix Wright expecting it to be anything resembling reality, I could tell that much just by regularly watching Law & Order. You wouldn't expect Trauma Center to be anything like actually practicing surgery, after all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I liked the EO4 demo, it reminded me of wasting reams of graph paper mapping out dungeons in The Bard's Tale, but on the other hand even BT3 had an automap function and I wasn't fond of the idea of having to literally draw walls on my loving automap screen. Still, I think I could see myself wasting so much time on that game...

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 21, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looks like the most recent game in the series is $31:
http://www.amazon.com/Etrian-Odysse...trian+odyssey+4
Any reason not to just pony up the extra six bucks and get that one instead?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Huxley posted:

I genuinely was expecting it to be more like a Monkey Island game and less an animated novel. Which, I hated Monkey Island, too, because of the :words:.

I... you... what?!

Dehry posted:

I think a lot of people feel overwhelmed when they hear about the IV/EV system and believe that their precious Red and Blue never had such a system because they never heard of Stat Exp when they were 10. That and the marketing blitz pretty much ended after Gold and Silver came out so a lot of people don't even realize it's still around or think it's still Ash Misty and Brock running around.

Whatever happened to those guys anyway, I flipped by it the other day watching tv with my kids and had no idea what was going on. Has even Team Rocket given up at this point?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The 3DS sale is over today though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Thanks whoever gave the heads up on that Target 10% thing today, I'm glad I held off because pairing that up with the 5% off coupon my wife had for filling prescriptions there and the 5% from my Target Card I was able to get one of the Mario & Luigi 3DSXLs for $120. :c00lbert:

I wanted one of the Zelda ones because I couldn't care less about the Mario & Luigi game, but I guess I'll play it since I have it. Do they come already installed on the 3DS or does it have a code to download from the eshop so I can attach it to my account or whatever?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pureauthor posted:

Why would they make a popular game free (thus increasing server issues) on the day they're most likely being staffed with a skeleton crew at best?

Is L4D2 still popular? It is like 4 years old now, isn't it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Terper posted:

Loads of people got the Zelda XL bundle for Christmas, and you have to access the eshop to get it.

Really? Why would they not just pre-install it on the 3DS like they did for Mario & Luigi?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

Mario 3D Land (and World) is not a 3D Mario. It is a 2D Mario that is in 3 dimensions.

Yeah, I think Mario 64 is and was an overrated pile of poo poo but I loving love 3D Land / 3D World.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vengarr posted:

To be honest, I was never very high on the 2D Marios either. Or platformers in general.

This seems a bit odd considering your avatar.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

poonchasta posted:

Why do you want to get a 6th (7th?) 3ds?

Seriously, why in the hell are you doing that many system transfers on a regular basis?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Digital Jesus posted:

Is the Adventure Time game from the DS any good? Apparently the new one is garbage which makes me really sad, as the premise sounds pretty much perfect.

The Ice King one? No. It's like they took all the worst aspects of Zelda II and decided to make a game centered around them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SnipeShow posted:

I just bought a 3dsxl and I'm loving it. Just wondering though, there doesn't seem to be any functionality between it and the WiiU. Is there anything planned? It's just... so obvious.

Seriously, it blows my mind that they wouldn't think of allowing you to use the 3DS screen as a WiiU touchscreen controller. The controller doesn't do any processing of its own, does it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is it true that system transfers wipe out all the stuff attached to the system you're transferring to? I was just talking to a guy from Nintendo customer support about transferring stuff from the 3DS my son had (and lost somewhere) to my Mario & Luigi 3DSXL and he told me I'd lose the copy of Dream Team that's preinstalled on it. If so, what the gently caress Nintendo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Just bought Etrian Odyssey IV off the eshop, but I didn't consider that they add tax to the purchase price so now I'm $1.19 + tax short of being able to buy Phoenix Wright :negative:

What else are some things I must download off the eshop, as opposed to buying in cartridge form? I know some folks were saying those Sega 3D classics are good, and Phoenix Wright is download only, do eshop games typically go down in price / go on sale? Should I scratch up an extra :10bux: and spring for Link Between Worlds? I've got plenty of cartridge games from various Black Friday / Christmas sales so I'm not hurting for things to play, but I like to get a deal when I can.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

flyboi posted:

Nobody updates the emulators on psp anymore and a vast majority have really old code bases. It's also garbage at snes emulation and requires constant tweaking / frame skipping which is obnoxious.

If you're gonna emulate, I have no idea why you wouldn't just buy like, any Android phone made in the past 2-3 years.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

93tu posted:

Not having proper hard buttons for one; I played through pokemon red, chrono trigger and golden sun on my SGS2 and I never ever got used to the emulated controls. Playing stuff like secret of mana or LTTP I found impossible as well.

Bluetooth + PS3 controller or wiimote/classic controller = solution to your problems.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You can just have it add the needed funds, duder.

Well yeah, but if there's a chance it might go down in price sometime in the near future then I'll just wait till then and get something cheaper, otherwise I'll probably pop over to Best Buy to get another one of their discounted eshop cards. Hence why I was asking about some other digital must-buys.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ursine Asylum posted:

Play Super Metroid and Metroid Prime if you get the chance, but all the rest of them range from "not bad if you're a fan of the series" to "why would you make this game, no really, gently caress you".

The GBA ones were legitimately good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Brasseye posted:

Not sure if this has been posted but if you're lucky enough to have got a 3ds or xl along with a new game for christmas you can download yourself super mario 3d land for free! I was going to buy it anyway so this is great

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns/SUPER-MARIO-3D-LAND-Welcome-Promotion/Terms-Conditions/Terms-Conditions-831594.html

This only works if you're in europe and got a game from the list.

Goddamnit, I was hoping this time it'd be something for the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I didn't know about that one but I want it too, now that it exists.
Of course, I have to figure out where in my house my kid stashed my copy of Art Academy.

• Locked thread