Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does Theaterrhythm contain Vamo allo Flamenco and/or have any Black Mages tunes available as DLC; or, is there a list of available DLC I can find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Geektox posted:

My only real exposure to SRPGs is Disgaea (unless Advanced Wars counts?) and I hated it because of it having like, 300 sub-systems. It got way too overwhelming. I liked the story though. Is Fire Emblem less... convoluted?

Nippon Ichi games are more or less for people who like getting really big numbers, and that's about it. They're rather shallow on every other front.

e:

Vegastar posted:

On the other side of that coin, they're charging 50 or 60 bucks for it on those platforms. It's 18 bucks for a used copy at GameStop. It better have some wild improvements to justify the difference in cost.

Edit: 50 bucks, and not coming out until may. The only significant improvements are HD graphics and a small smattering of add ons.

This post made me check Amazon, and you can nab it new there for 20 bucks. Ordered it, but, by the time it gets here I'll probably never play it thanks to Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey and Monster Hunter in such short succession :smithicide:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 29, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ, all this IS talk made me go look at their portfolio. They're behind Metroid too? :psyduck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Systems#Consoles

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Will that Etrian Odyssey 4 demo go up at midnight, or 12:00 PM?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the US, an XL runs at $180-$200 new, whereas an original model runs at ~$150.

With how hosed Australian video game pricing is, I'd think you'd be able to sell all your stuff and only eat a relatively small loss in the transition if you bought used. I'm not certain, however.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 9, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeathBySpoon posted:

Watch, Nintendo will make you shake the 3DS instead.

Or, you can pay two play coins per shake! :downs:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We haven't had a good sidescrolling Metroid since 2004 :smith:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadwing posted:

It says on the Club Nintendo site that you can register them as of today and still have it count.

Looks like I'm out of luck for registering two days ago. :(

Yeah, really...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BadAstronaut posted:

Euro goons, there was just a whole batch of new Gameboy and NES games released to the eshop, right?

What do you think of the pricing - some of them seem sort of expensive for 20-year old games? Been thinking of getting Tetris just because it is so classic, and maybe Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins because it is, I reckon, the best platformer on the Gameboy.

Nice to see Metroid II in there, but having already finished it a couple times I probably won't dedicate the time to this again.

Any word on if we'll ever get SNES games? I'd buy Super Metroid in a heartbeat.

Donkey Kong still holds up well enough that is was given little more than a graphical overhaul and called Mario vs Donkey Kong 10 years later.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All I know about Dillon is that it's a tower defense game with some sort of action element. Is it like Sanctum where I basically just became a human turret, spamming bullets the way of whatever is on the screen? That poo poo was loving boring.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Wow so they're just straight $1=£1. That's absolute horse poo poo. Converting it comes to about $7 just for a NES game.

It's a common problem with a lot of digital distribution platforms, and I have no idea why other than companies knowing they can get away with it :shrug:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Travis343 posted:

I work at a pretty big college in Tulsa and I've literally never gotten a streetpass. I'm not even 100% sure what they do. I don't think a lot of kids these days have handhelds other than their Apple gadgets or whatever.

My bedroom is right next to a school bus pickup, and it feels all kinds of creepy getting all these little kids on spotpass :v:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignite Memories posted:

I haven't played or bought anything for my 3ds in a while (although i will admit there is a child inside me begging for pokemon XY), and when I was checking through the videogames section of the HEB I noticed that the new monster hunter and luigi's mansion were both out. Luigi's mansion looks about as good as the last one, but I can't find a thread for monster hunter.

I've never played any monster hunter games before, but i've heard really great things and I am thinking about giving it a shot. What do people think of the 3ds version? Is the general gameplay closer to shadow of the colossus or devil may cry? Just trying to figure out if this is worth spending some money on.

Neither really. It's like Dark Souls in that it's slow paced and you're punished for being greedy with damage, like Phantasy Star Online in its structure, and like an MMO in that one of the big draws is making hats out of the monsters you kill.

Monster Hunter 4 will have monster climbing, though, and a lot of us are hoping it'll eel as good as SotC.

The demo is kind of lovely from a new player perspective, but it will give you an idea of what combat is like.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not a roguelike at all. It's more of an old school CRPG in design but with JRPG battles.

JRPG battles? It's anime Wizardry.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mine only wobbles if I intentionally try to wobble it. It gives just enough to help the hinge last longer.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because it gets stale. Like Pokemon itself's formula is good but if you've played one you've played them all (of the main iterations, the offshoots are IMO not worth touching). That's the kind of thing I'm saying.

I just wish for more from sequels than "more of the same"

If you honestly think that the Mario RPG spinoffs are "not worth touching," your taste in entertainment as a whole is questionable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think I would enjoy Luigi's Mansion far more if my exploration wasn't constantly interrupted by a mission summary screen, and some babbling about ghosts.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I was downloading Luigi's Mansion from the e-shop :)

It'll download while it's closed.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fallom posted:

Is the game really that bad without the circle pad pro? I just played through the demo and didn't have that hard of a time with the camera.

Swimming can be a pain, but at the 200 hour mark I've not had any issues otherwise :shrug:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can pre-order Shin Megami Tensei IV from Newegg for 42 bucks $41.99 for the next 40 hours. Use the code EMCXRXN225 at checkout.

Might be NA only, I dunno.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parker Lewis posted:

Is Monster Hunter 3 worth picking up if none of my local friends own a 3DS? I gather that the game really shines in co-op mode so maybe I'm better off waiting until Monster Hunter 4 comes out and has online multiplayer?

Monster Hunter is still a load of fun solo, but ranged weapons and hunting horns become a little hard to use effectively.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

Man, I want to buy Animal Crossing on digital, but as someone who has a healthy appreciation for economics and not wasting money, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Here's the thing. Nintendo is basically loving you in the face when you buy a digital copy. This isn't Steam, where they intrinsically "get" that a digital game is worth less, and therefore games are cheaper, and go on sale constantly. This is a kickback that Steam provides in exchange for your game being completely worthless for resale the nanosecond you hit the checkout button.

Meanwhile, Nintendo seriously thinks that a digital copy of a game is worth the same and often actually more than a retail one, given that cartridges are often on sale or can be obtained at used prices ($20 to $25). That's not only ludicrous, it's insulting to anyone with a clue of how economics works. Their argument is literally "we are charging you a ton of extra money in exchange for the convenience of living in the modern age, where data can be kept on a computer and not inserted via a loving modern-day floppy disc".

It's everything I hate about Nintendo encapsulated in a single backwards policy. Namely, that they live in the early 2000's still and have no problem with that. It's why the Wii was a 480p piece of garbage with a Gamecube powering it. It's why I couldn't play Double Dash online despite it being potentially the best co-op game of all time. It's why my 3DSXL looks like poo poo compared to the Vita, and why like 3 games on it support actual online play. It's just pathetic really.

Of course, the redeeming factor here is that Nintendo makes some of the best games. And I love them for that. That's why I buy their backwards, stupid poo poo consoles that exist in a 2005 time-freeze. But as far as I bend my morals in order to play awesome games like Fire Emblem, and EO4, and Theaterrhythm, I can't do the digital game thing. It's too much of a punch in the dick.

Valve is really the outlier as far as understanding economics goes. Valve has proved for years what sales can do for the lifetime sales of a product, but everyone else is plugging their ears and screaming something about investors and profit margins.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Not really, especially if the digital version is still $50. But hey there hasn't been a mainline SMT game since the PS2 so I'll pay it :/

Strange Journey is mainline :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
6434-8724-4742-1912

Game Boy Donkey Kong code.

edit:Now actually correct

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 3, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

So if I've never played TWEWY, should I track down a copy?

Yes, just keep in mind that Neku in insufferable to the first few hours of the game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hungry Bit posted:

Do retail 3DS games save data on the SD card or on the game cartridge? If buy a retail game used do I have to worry abot everything being unlocked already with no clear option to reset the data?

If it's anything like the DS, there should be a button combo you can input to clear cart data in the system menu.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to figure out what to do with my 30 bucks. I enjoyed the hell out of mercenaries in RE4 and 5, is there enough content in the 3DS standalone to be worth the 20 bucks? Kakuga looks neato too.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Policenaut posted:

Good lord, it seems Club Nintendo is starting to behave now. Just got myself some $30 credit and I'm downloading me some Animal Crossing :dance:

AAAAAAAAAAND it's down!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Personperson14 posted:

The owl "Did you get all that ->No Yes." Is the worst thing in that game. Makes Navi look helpful.

This is false.

The loving 30 second cutscene of that rear end in a top hat fish king scooting out of your way is the worst part of OoT.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Khisanth Magus posted:

How do I register the fire emblem i bought prior to syncing my club nintendo account then?

Email nintendo support.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Hey Americans, what zip code should I enter to get the lowest tax on my eShop purchases?

Anything from Delaware.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why isn't Rune Factory on the eshop? :argh:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

naptalan posted:

It is! Unless you have a PAL 3DS. In which case, uh, wait a few more months. :v:

Wikipedia lied to me!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't even used 3D since I got mine. It's a novelty, that honestly just holds back the system's hardware.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Miltank posted:

Except it really enhances the visuals of some games?

If you don't have a very large laundry list of conditions that make it either nauseating, or literally unusable :V

The 3DS hardware could push better visuals if 3D wasn't a requirement for every single game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ignoring the fact that devs are free to ignore stereoscopic 3D at their leisure, it's not as if 3D is an automatic "make the game uglier switch!" that would instantly lead to better-looking games if it were turned off. 3DS games aren't getting any prettier because the hardware is weak and because there's little incentive to really push it any harder than they need to, especially when it comes to third-party games; stereoscopic 3D is a comparatively minor bottleneck.

I was under the impression that Nintendo outright requires every game to utilize the 3D, and I recall several developers complaining about that holding back what they could do with the hardware. At least, back before the thing became a money printer for anything successful on it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If nothing on the 3ds library gets you excited, I'm not even sure you're actually paying attention to the library.

and, no, you really didn't convey your concept at all. You flat out stated it like a fact that neither system has a big library of God games. Don't be a dick when people react to you like you're saying "ps3 has no games." You'll embarrass yourself less if you just say "yo, I worded that poorly" instead of trying to claim syndrome iskm mad at your edgy and cool opinions.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 8, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are you people deaf? My XL can be heard from across the house.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

I find that the speakers are fine when I'm at home or in some quiet place. Anywhere with the slightest din and I can't hear poo poo.

My roommate has to ask me to turn it down all the time because she can hear it over EVE, mumble, and music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Astro Nut posted:

That's the beauty of keeping the basic system of the game as relatively simple as possible. Even the first battle alone clues you in on experience and getting stronger with each victory, so really all it has to teach you is how to catch more monsters, if you're new, and then be informative when new - but relevant - items come up, like getting a badge and TM from a gym leader. By contrast, because evolution stones are entirely optional tools, they don't get, and don't really need, a tutorial to go with them.

As a child I refused to use them because Ash said it was bad thing for bad people :I

• Locked thread