Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RyokoTK posted:

There are not enough words to describe how badly I need this game. I think it's the music more than anything else. The trailer didn't show any combat at all, or really much gameplay outside of the wall-walking aspect.

When the Link to the Past title fanfare kicked in I legit got chills. Nintendo sure knows how to grab my hard earned US dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

BisterdDave posted:

I've never played any of the Phoenix Wright games, would it be a good idea to start with Dual Destinies?

They've written it to be "beginner friendly" but I highly recommend starting from the first game. Not only is the original trilogy the best, but it will get you up to speed on everything and show you why certain characters are important. DD takes mostly from the fourth game since it's only one year later, so you could also start with that, but it's the weakest of the series in my opinion.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

kater posted:

Is the Ace Attorney demo content from the game or something unique?

Yes and no. It's modified content from the first case.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

loljk nobody cares about Metroid any more

I wasn't suckered into buying Other M, so I still care. :smith:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Year of Star Fox, starting with a true Star Fox 64 sequel developed by Platinum.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The White Dragon posted:

My metaphorical point is that DKC3 was on par with what Other M is for Metroid as a "series-killer trash entry" as far as I was concerned.

I wouldn't go that far. DKC2 was better and Kiddy Kong belongs in the dumpster out back, but 3 was still a fun game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Shoopuf posted:

We still have 40 minutes to wait before the US eShop updates. :negative:

Time doesn't even move this slowly when I'm at work. This is intolerable! :negative:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Pureauthor posted:

keep giving us good music

What are your thoughts on dubstep?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0a7-1wdDuw

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

jtm33 posted:

Oh my god it's Maya and she is speaking with a voice :3:

Why are you doing this to me? :negative:

Of all the games for Europe to get before America, why does it have to be one that actually matters?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Ultra HD DX: Arcade Edition

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The best introduction is the first Ace Attorney game, since that doesn't just introduce the characters but it forms all their relationships so you'll have a firm understanding of who's who and why. I believe PLvsAA takes place after the third game, though, and since the original trilogy is the best of the lot, it wouldn't hurt to play through all three of them first.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're still quite easy to get ahold of, and well worth playing. Just don't get the iOS versions, because they're really bad. A lot of the animation is hacked down to one or two simple frames, and the script is rife with errors.

They're also really buggy. Seconding that you should avoid the iOS versions.

With any luck, the triple pack for the 3DS will be coming to America too. I can't wait to buy these games I've played to the point of memorization again! :buddy:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 3DS compilation is based on the iOS versions, isn't it?

It's using the "HD" sprites, but they aren't janky, two-frame animation abortions any more. With any luck, they'll fix the typos they added too.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
All they have to do is start the next Meroid game with the ending of Other M, pan out of a television screen, and then have Samus give a thumbs down to the pitched video game idea.

Then she blows up the planet.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Thuryl posted:

They do extra damage to fliers, so that's something.

So does wind magic, which can attack at point blank too. Even the archest of archers wasn't worth keeping an archer.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cme0fIAjl4

Best oscillating fan simulator in years. 10/10

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'd happily give up SMT4 for Phoenix x Layton. gently caress that game.

I would personally fly over a copy of SMT4 and hand deliver it to a European for Layton vs. Wright. What is taking so long!? :argh:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Pureauthor posted:

Bravely Deault is half of a fanfuckingtastic RPG.

Ok, I'll give it 2/3s of a fantastic RPG.

The remaining part of the game, however, is pure turdbucket.

This is about how I felt about it. The first or second times I played the same game were great. Heck, I'll even give it the third time and the "false" ending. I've never been more disenchanted by a game I absolutely loved. Everything about it was so incredible until things just looped and looped with increasingly BS boss fight rehashes. :sigh:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Yoshi will forever make his weird, swishy noise in my head. The babbling is the New Coke of voices.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

fount of knowledge posted:

I remember receiving Kirby Tilt n' Tumble for the GBC as a kid and being pretty disappointed upon finding out it wasn't a "real" Kirby game. As a Marble Madness clone though, it's not too bad.

Same with me and Kirby's Dream Course. I didn't really care for it, but whether it's "bad" or not is personal preference, I suppose.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - out now! (PAL) / "early 2014" (NA)

Whose definition of "early"? :argh:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't played Ace Attorney. Should I? why?

If you don't mind reading a lot of exceptionally witty dialog and enjoy catching people in their lies, pick it up. I strongly recommend starting from the beginning, but each game gives you a brief explanation of what you need to know.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Spiffster posted:

What did you guys think of Ace Attorney: Investegations? It threw me off at first but it really got amazing towards the end.

Honestly, I thought the end was one of the weaker parts just because the final boss took so long and had no reason to stay there and indulge you. I liked it, though. It was a good pick-me-up after AJ and the case-specific characters were much better. Kay was a throw-away "I wish I was Maya" sidekick, but she was alright too.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
JFA (second one) has an incredible final case and I liked the second too. It's the third case that no one likes.

AJ (the fourth game) is the only one people could really describe as "bad" and that's just because the new cast is junk compared to the original and the plot is full of holes (also its third case is even worse than JFA's). Really, it still plays fine, it's just all aesthetically wrong and ruins everything the first three built.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I went into the series completely blind too. I think that's the best way to do it, because you react to everything the exact same way Phoenix does.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It will be called Mother 3-D. Because it's remastered in 3D, you see.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
An original IP? But I wanted the milking of my favorite franchise instead. :saddowns:

I'm not being sarcastic.

Real hurthling! posted:

Bravely default: Loved the combat system but the demo missions are horrible grindy collect 5 of x type things that make me not want to play it.

The actual game is nothing like that at all. Bravely Default is amazingly good... until the last several chapters where you just get fed up with the cut and paste and stop playing.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Regy Rusty posted:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/37686/3ds-game-developer-discussion

Same place I read about the smash thing last night, it was good and timely.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would link this again.

10 minutes until confusion and moderate disappointment.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

quote:

The latest games in the Metroid series were Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii in 2007 and the Team Ninja spin-off Metroid: Other M in 2010.

Loving that subtle jab.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Austrian mook posted:

So I guess nobody from Awakening is going to be in Smash, since they're putting Ike in and Chrom is basically just him.

*Giant splash screen*

Cordelia would love to battle!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
They should add Kellam but not tell anybody.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

homeless snail posted:

The yarn would blow away, bad idea.

We need something that holds up under water too, so Squand Wind Waker.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Anora posted:

What is the word for being scared of what other people are jerking it too, cause holy crap, so many people have that fear.

Human decency?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Widestancer posted:

Tomodatchi Life or Fire Emblem Awakening?

Going to pick up something new on the way home from work and I was going to nab Life but the Fire Emblem talk in this thread is making me waver :ohdear:

Fire Emblem is definitely more of a "game" and will keep you engaged longer whenever you're playing. Tomodachi Life gives everything up pretty quickly and is more like a Facebook game where you check in for a few minutes every once in a while to experience the bizarre life of your Miis.

If I were forced to choose, I'd definitely pick Fire Emblem. It has bizarre anime lives and relationships of its own, even if they don't all hail the Virtual Boy.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

How about Tomodachi Life?

It's very content light but it's an amusing diversion for a few minutes every day. Think of it more like a Facebook game where you check in to see how your island full of video game characters and famous celebrities is doing then do something else.

For free it's not a bad deal at all.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Akarshi posted:

So is there anything good about Bravely Default? It was recommended to me in this thread yesterday but all this talk about it makes it seem very unappealing. Is there anything fun about it?

There's a ton of stuff good about Bravely Default. It's one of my favorite RPGs in recent memory... until you try going for the "true" ending. I can't recommend the first five chapters enough. Just do yourself a favor and settle for the "false" ending.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Xenoblade is really loving good but it isn't THE BEST JRPG OF ALL TIME like some people make it out to be

I just hope it hits the Virtual Console or gets packaged with Xenoblade Chronicles X or something so I can actually play it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
This was probably established back when the game was still new, but I just wanted to pop in and say that Kirby Triple Deluxe has the best looking 3D on the system.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Nothing in Mass Effect matters, just go to Home Depot and pick your favorite color swatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I still say the best way to play Bravely Default is to just blow up a crystal and get the false ending before "those chapters" have a chance to take their toll. That much of the game is worth every penny and then some. It's just so disappointing they couldn't keep that up.

• Locked thread