Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So NOE have decided to revert Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's name back to Luigi's Mansion 2 for PAL release.

I don't know what NOE has against overly acceptable sub titles and why they need to replace them with a bunch of words like Let's go to the City, or a plain old number like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Pink Overalls does look fabulous, but Green Overalls is probably my favorite looking one of the bunch.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I finally upgraded to an XL today from my regular 3DS and holy poo poo I cannot get over how big the screens are. :staredog:

I was getting a bit of eye strain playing Theatrhythm and Fire Emblem the other night which kind of put me over the fence in wanting to upgrade but I am so glad I did. I really wish I had the foresight to wait for the XL in the first place instead of buying a 3DS when they were full price and not having access to WiFi when the Ambassador program was a thing.

I mean sure I probably wouldn't play those GBA games all that much but they'd have been nice to have.
Did you have to have wifi during that? All I remember doing during that time was typing a number on the back of my 3DS to check if I was counted as an ambassador or not.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Yeah, I want to play it too, but everything I have ever heard is that it's awful for lefties. Supposedly you can use the face buttons as a poor man's analog stick, but that doesn't really sound like a great way to play the game.

Game is completely playable left handed. It's a little uncomfortable and a little harder, but it's not Dillon's Rolling Western with its Right Hand controls or gently caress off business.

Circle Pad for right handed people can be switched out for the Direction Pad for left handed people. It's a little more awkward, and a little more painful than the default, but pretty much all the levels besides the final boss can be beaten by at an intensity of at least 5, if not higher if you are half decent at the game.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

AU is still limited to blue/red/silver, last time I checked.
Been a while since you checked then, since it's been a limited edition digital game bundle here since December.

I've only seen the likes of EB stocking it though.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, I think the "White/Black don't sell well enough, so no one gets them" is stupid. They should of just had White/Black/Red/Blue from the start. Then both child friendly colourful colours, and more mature settings friendly monochrome colours would of made nearly everyone happy.

Then later they could of done limited edition colours like green, orange, yellow and purple.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Doug Dinsdale posted:

PMD's JP demo made me sad.
They've taken out the hunger parameter so there's no longer any reason to painstakingly find the shortest routes to conserve food.
I think they've really taken out a core element that made the Mystery Dungeon series so great.
From what I remember, they haven't taken it out completely.

It still occasionally turns up in some places. Hell, there's a DLC dungeon centered around high grade food.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Have you checked if the wireless light on the 3DS itself is still on?

I know it sounds like a dumb suggestion, but the amount of times i've taken mine out of my pocket just for it to have no internet connection, and that being the cause after the slider thing for it had been bumped enough that it had turned off in my pocket, is like..... well at least a bunch.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nintendo Direct in about 24 hours in 15 minutes.

Seems to be more 3DS focused, and while there's been a Direct announced for Europe and America, I haven't heard anything about a Japanese one.
So this is likely just about release dates for stuff Japan got last year, and Luigi's Mansion.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't say it's completely spoiled, being that they only have individual private videos for three things with Luigi's Mansion not even being one of those three even though it's clearly going to be part of it.

And if they don't have the Luigi video up and private, there's always the chance there's more to it then what has been spoiled.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just some new GB/GBC Virtual Console stuff in general would be nice. It's been 2 months since the last one, and we've had two total since last October.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sort of disappointed that we're having another year of mostly Mario extended series related 3DS games to be honest.

Like, i'm excited for them all, and will buy pretty much all of them except Mario vs. Donkey Kong, because I loathe that series, but it's sort of annoying we're not far off entering the handhelds third year of life and we still haven't heard anything about the likes or an original Metroid, Kirby, Starfox, e.t.c.

It just feels like weird pacing for their software releases. Like we'd normally get all of this stuff in a handhelds lifetime anyways, it's just weird we're getting all of it now.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Artix74 posted:

Nope. Only the Fire Emblem XL bundle for EU.
Europe also gets Black, which it didn't have up until now.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like it'd be a decent help for people like me, that don't like having a huge list full of people they never send swapnotes to, or play online with.

Should be a godsend come Animal Crossing time, where if someone I don't know has something I want, we can use this to temporarily get each others friends codes.

I'd be up for helping manage it if you want, but i'm entirely fine with being turned down for someone more competent and built for the role.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Flame112 posted:

Man, I finally got around to watching the Animal Crossing Direct video. I cannot wait for this to come out in the US. I really love all the features they're putting into Streetpass with it like visiting a snapshot of other peoples' towns.

I can only imagine the SA community for this will be glorious.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Flame112 posted:

I'm picturing this, except with dicks:

Oh I expect the community will be a nation of dicks, but I feel there'll likely be a sprinkling of some really nice towns among the fields of dicks.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It did so in City Folk, so I assume so.

The main problem is that if it can't find a free spot after one bounce, it just up and disappears.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

There's another DQ-themed town featured on this blog entry, complete with Dream Code, so if you ever do get the game you can explore it for yourself.

The geyser community project for the volcano is a nice touch.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I've been playing through Dillon's Rolling Western to prepare for the eventual PAL release of its sequel.

Game takes the prize of most painful to play game from Kid Icarus: Uprising, at least for left handed people, being that it has similar controls but lacks Uprising's change from circle pad to ABXY option.

Also it's rather difficult and excessively time consuming. It's not exactly hard, as i've yet to of lost in the game yet, but it's effective in giving you a feeling of being on the edge of failure through pretty much the whole game.

It handles the difficulty curve well though, with capping your funds for the first playthrough of each level, effectively limiting the first night of each town into a stressful rush to figure out how not to lose all of the towns livestock. They also take every chance to introduce new and more powerful stuff every stage that for the most part exist purely to ruin your poo poo. It has a nice power creep too. The higher level temporary use power ups do make you dish out a very noticeable increase in damage to enemies.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

that (allegedly) really difficult last one they released.

It's true to it's word. And pretty much forces you to do it the intended way, as you're given about enough time on the clock to reach the checkpoint in a hurry in each level, and while there's a green stopwatch at the start, it's blocked off if you go in there with the invincibility suit.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Errr..... Well technically you could password link with a game file that had it. If you can find it on the internet. That has the name you want to use. If you're okay with not experiencing the game fresh.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PAL-land is getting an all-black XL on the same day as Monster Hunter, both as a standalone and as part of a MH bundle. No idea why NA's not getting it at the same time.
Aren't they getting white as a standalone permanent colour, instead of the limited edition it has been up until now, as well?

Sucks that Australia doesn't seem to be doing the same given that NAL is so happy to copy NOE for most other things.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I checked the EU site before, and it's in their list of standard colours, so they probably are.

I still think we'll probably get the Fire Emblem bundle, as we haven't missed any other EU bundle from memory. Although I don't think we got the Pikachu LE one in the end, so we could just as easily not get it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like the NOE twitter has just revealed Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D release date. May 24th.

That along with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's release that month makes May a big month for first party releases for Europe.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So I acknowledge the thread title, but how is the build quality of the XL?

I've never had any sort of hardware breaking issues of anything Nintendo handheld related up until now, with my launch 3DS. In 2 years of average use the R shoulder button has given out, the d-pad has cracked and broken down to a rough, sharp edged painful to use mess and as of half an hour ago, the rubber covering of the circle pad has given up on life and lifted off the handheld itself.

I'm looking to upgrade to an XL eventually, but I sort of hope the it lasts somewhat longer in comparison.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

deadwing posted:

While we're on the Mario train, I picked up New Super Mario Bros. 2 as part of the B2G1 sale at Target (was buying Monster Hunter for the Wii U, and figured I might as well get some 3DS games for cheap while I was at it), and so far I think this game has been pretty seriously underrated. The level design is easily on par with NSMBU, even if the visual style is basically a retread of NSMBWii. I haven't delved into Coin Rush yet, but it seems like it should be a good time since all the levels seem to be fairly suited to running through fast. And, I do have to say, I'm looking forward to picking up the Impossible pack since I hear it's actually difficult, which is something I haven't felt in a 2D Mario in a while.

I don't think most people think it is a bad game as such. Most peoples problems with the game stems from the fact that it looks and plays almost exactly the same as all of the other games in its series and that the music leaves alot to be desired.

Releasing in the same year as NSMBU was a pretty bad life choice for them though. I assume people would have a similar, if not less extreme opinion if MK7 released in the same year the Wii U Mario Kart did, instead of over a year ago.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Im thinking of getting Tales of the Abyss and/or Fire Emblem initially.
Yeah do this.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So going into the eShop prompts an update for the 3DS.

Update is taking FOREVER to download though. Not sure if it's just heavy traffic on people doing the update or not, but this has been the most time consuming update outside of the eShop the June before last.

Edit: Finished. It doesn't seemed to of done anything I can tell outside of the eShop main menu logo thing. And the eShop is in maintenance, so I can't check that for differences right now.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 26, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

pandaK posted:

Prima announces a US strategy guide for Animal Crossing: New Leaf

It was going so well until it mentioned that it would be a mini-book size :negative:
Isn't the Japanese game bible for the game not full A4 size anyways?

At 512 pages, I don't really see the problem.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

-Freakyforms Deluxe footage/overview. Out on the eShop in April 10, 1200yen. Digital download cards available in-store. (Was this not out in Japan? I forget.)
Geez that's MUCH cheaper than it is everywhere else. I'd probably consider if it was that price here.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I know that they have no business incentive for doing it because people will buy it anyway but I still wish they'd put demos like Zelda up in the eShop rather than make them available only to journalists or kiosk-only or whatever they're gonna do. They literally have no financial gain to make from doing it, so they won't. But I wish they would. I wish every game had a playable demo.
I agree. It feels like it would make too much sense for them to end their E3 conference with a "And for you at home, demos and trailers of the games we've just shown are available on the eShop now".

Besides the whole effort thing behind it, the only people this would be negative for would be game journalists and their precious exclusive impressions of stuff. And who honestly cares about them.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I've had a 3DS for a few years now and the Nintendo Direct has me wanting to upgrade to an XL.

If I buy an XL with a game pre-installed on it, will I be able to run a system transfer between my 3DS and the XL without losing the pre-installed game?
From memory, all System Transfer does is take all your stuff from one 3DS, and dumps it on the other.

It shouldn't mess with anything that's on there already as long as it isn't the same thing as whatever you are transferring over. At the very worst, all you'd have to do is redownload the pre-installed game, since it would be in the XL's eShop account.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

You could always get a bigger SD Card? I have a 16 GB one running in mine, and it's about 115GB space left after a few eshop original titles and Virtual Console stuff.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So Nintendo of Europe is doing another "Buy stuff, get a game free" promotions.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-3DS-So-Many-Games-Promotion/Overview/Overview-750393.html

But not all of PAL regions are included. Among other countries, once again Nintendo of Australia decides it's not going to be a carbon copy of NOE any drat time it would be of advantage to us.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Seriously, is there some kind of petition we can sign to get Nintendo of Australia absorbed into Nintendo of Europe?

We missed out on the first free game promotion, pretty much looks like we're missing out on this. Europe got the nice looking hardcover Fire Emblem pre order art book, Australia got sloppy seconds of America's art book. Australia didn't get the glow in the dark Luigi cover art at all. Club Nintendo Australia has nothing of worth and less than any other decent sized branch of Nintendo. Australia gets hit with some of the highest game prices Nintendo attempts to dump on country.

It's a miracle they sell anything here when they employ so many "gently caress you buddy" tactics on their customer base.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Guess it doesn't concern me then.

Crawfish posted:

So Nintendo of Europe is doing another "Buy stuff, get a game free" promotions.

But not all of PAL regions are included. Among other countries, once again Nintendo of Australia decides it's not going to be a carbon copy of NOE any drat time it would be of advantage to us.

Well yeah, I covered that. Unless you're talking about age?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

You know what the worst part is? AU Club Nintendo is run out of the UK now, yet they don't give us any of the promotions or even most of the rewards, despite the fact that they're probably shipping from the same loving warehouse.
It also makes the Australian website look weird, and Club Nintendo completely inaccessible or unusable on any Nintendo device.

And poo poo, if they are going to be hosting our Club Nintendo on their site, and likely shipping stuff from the same place as theirs, they could at least give us all of the NOE merch, instead of a couple of spares of the lamest ones.

And while i'm in the middle of moaning about poo poo, PUT UP THE drat 3DS GAME CASE PERMANENTLY NINTENDO. It's one of the more functionally useful rewards and it surely can't cost you more than a few cents to produce.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

FLX posted:

I was wondering whether to get Fire Emblem as a physical copy and Animal Crossing as a free download

I suggest this. If you are even going to try and play Animal Crossing, it's alot easier having always on hand. Compared to Fire Emblem, where if you don't go super spergy after the credits, you can cope with only having on hand occasionally.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If we're all posting our top ten software usage times, then:

Internet Browser (347:31)
Nintendo eShop (131:39)
WarioWare: Minigame Mania (114:34)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (105:03)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (98:15)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (78:29)
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (62:49)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (65:15)
Pullblox (62:32)
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror (56:10)

It would take too long to explain why this list is as spergy and embarrassing as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Before I traded in Pokemon games I wipe my save so nobody else can bask in the glory that is my save file.
I do the same.

But because the few times I bother to buy and play Pokemon I play it until I complete a pokedex and have one of each pokemon and its alternate forms (or at least the ones that stay in alternate forms) in the pc.

And no one should be allowed to have enough luck to walk into a potential haul like that.

• Locked thread