Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Alright new thread! Nice OP. I would suggest adding screenshots of the games just to visually break up the text heavy tail end of the OP.

Let's get this thread going!

(1) Page since someone complained about region lock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Drizvolta posted:

Heads up, the cashier at ebGames(:canada:) told me that Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't have a Street date.

Arrrrrgh I wish I saw this earlier today I was at the mall and could have gotten a copy!!
Now I gotta wait until tomorrow :(

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
For any Canadian goons who wanted to snag Fire Emblem today, Gamestop/EB has stopped selling Awakening early. They received a correction email this morning telling them to stop selling it, and the manager told me they were only to give out copies to those who pre-ordered.

Missed my chance yesterday. -_-

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Edoraz posted:

I gotta ask the thread something: in the EO4 demo, when you first get to the dungeon, and you had your 3D on... Did it make you feel crossed eyed for a second or three? It did me. Everything was literally popping out at me, so it took a second. Game is hella pretty, though.

I didn't notice that, but I ended up turning 3D off when I went to draw in the map, and turning it back on for battles. Just gave me a headache moving the 3DS around so much while map drawing.

Also,
I am still working my way through VLR and I got to the part in the director's room and they totally dropped a Tenacious D reference.
"What are you gonna shoot it with?"
"Uhh...WITH MIND BULLETS"
"That's telekinesis, Sigma"

I was like :aaa: and realized that none of my friends play VLR or listen to Tenacious D so I had to come post about how awesome that was here.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
New club nintendo rewards today, can't remember what time they usually update though.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I never really thought about claiming coins from eShop titles...I've bought a whole bunch.
Is it too late to claim coins on stuff I've bought previously?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
When are we gonna get more news on the Shantae 3DS game??

I know WayForward has been busy but I'm itching for more.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Ok so I'm diving into the Monster Hunter demo blind, never played the games at all before.
I am confused as hell with the controls and I'm not doing so well.
Edit: I always forget the built in Manuals that you can read from the home screen. :downs:

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 21, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I bought a couple NES VC games and man, I'm disappointed you can't play them in 1:1 native...they look really muddy and blurry. I love playing GB, GBC and DS games in 1:1 it does not make any sense to me why they wouldn't include it for NES.

I think I remember someone saying it was because the vertical resolutions of NES and 3DS are the same. But still these are definitely not native.
I feel like I'm a minority here who doesn't like to stretch and Nintendo will never patch it in.

Gimme my black bars.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Ziddar posted:

The 3DS and NES both have the exact same vertical resolution of 240 pixels. When playing an NES game, the 3DS puts black bars on either side of the display, reducing the display width to 256 pixels. There isn't any stretching to speak of.

Maybe stretch is the wrong word. The ratio doesn't seem stretched to me but there is definitely some filtering going on that I really don't like. When playing old games I really like to see the pixels, this looks really muddy.
I can't be the only one who sees this.
I just tried loading Zelda in an emulator and it looks so dang crisp.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
What a MASSIVE direct today. I can't believe half this poo poo!
Proud to be a 3DS XL owner today.
Edit: These Nintendo Direct's get me so drat excited. I haven't considered myself a fanboy in a long time, but hats off to Nintendo. The big announcements from Sony and Microsoft don't inspire this kind of glee in me.
Also, those poo-pooing the WiiU just have to wait. I have a feeling it will really pick up steam like the 3DS has.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 17, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Just to chime in, I will sometimes toggle the 3D off in games like VLR but I'm pretty sure there is a resolution drop when the effect is turned off.

Without doing any research :effort: I'm pretty sure the resolution with the effect turned off is 400x266 or something, but to achieve the stereo effect the horizontal resolution is doubled/overlapped.

I dunno, I swear that things look very basic and low res with the 3D off, but toggled on things look crisper (albeit more pixelated at times) and more detailed. This is probably why turning 3D off affects framerate as well.

Anyway, so if my eyes are feeling tired or I'm moving around a bit more, I'll slide the 3D effect down to a minimum without turning it off.

---

And about VLR, I just picked it back up again after completing Fire Emblem. Man I love this game. I was about 26 hours in when I put it down a month or two ago and I'm being sucked right back in. I kind of worked my way from the far right over to the left side of the flow chart, and I just hit the room where you meet G-OLM and his whole conversation was awesome. Totally weird to go 26 hours into a game and THEN hear a totally alien voice. It was kind of like seeing a ghost. I'm so glad this thread convinced me to play 999 and VLR, it's really been a fresh and envelope pushing gaming experience for me.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Can anyone here answer a VLR question for me? I'm looking for a spoiler free nudge, not a direct solution.

I just got to the part in the leftmost path, when you explore the director's room after K and Dio had already been in there. I need to enter the user name and password to access the computer. Sigma says he feels like he's seen the log on somewhere before. I've tried various combinations of Remember Death/Memento Mori but can't log on. When I get the To Be Continued and it shows my flow chart, this section does NOT show up as a lock, just a normal novel section. Does this mean that I should be able to solve it with what info I have?

I'm basically wondering if the information I need is either further back in my current path, or somewhere in a different timeline, since the section doesn't show up as a lock. If it's in another timeline, please don't tell me which one since I may not have explored it.

Anyway, THIS loving GAME~

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

VLR: If you don't know what you have to enter you probably don't have the information yet. Go to another path.

Ok, that's what I figured. Just the fact that it didn't show up as a lock made me think that I should remember the information from a path I've already been down.

I had put the game down for about two months since the 3DS got bombarded with awesome games, so it's possible that I've already gone down the path and forgotten...but I don't think so.
Thanks!

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Sodium Chloride posted:

Speaking of VLR, I just bought it and want to know how bad the save bug is. Someone said to not save in the puzzle rooms but is there a clear distinction between these sections?

And some bastard spoiled one of the twists for me :argh:

Ah sorry you got spoilered. But rest assured there will be plenty more mind bending twists.
I'm lucky in that nothing has been spoiled for me so far, and I'm 30 hours in.

In terms of the save bug, yeah I NEVER save in the puzzle rooms. Basically I only save in the AB warehouse (this will make sense). It's pretty obvious when you are in a puzzle room.

I'm not sure if you are just not supposed to save in between the "SEEK A WAY OUT" and "YOU FOUND IT~" screens, but even if I'm in a novel section where the characters are talking inside a puzzle room, I don't save. I just close the lid and suspend the game.

Basically, if you feel like playing a different game or know you won't be able to sit there and complete a puzzle room, save before you go through a chromatic door (again, this will make sense once you start playing).

Did you play 999?

I'm really surprised that in my jaded post-university gaming years, I can still be totally blown away by a new series and enjoy it without any nostalgia involved.

Great IP, great series. Can't wait for part 3.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Sodium Chloride posted:

Yeah, which is why the spoiler is so annoying. Visual novels have the craziest twists.

I'm kind of suspecting a certain twist that will connect the two games, based on a rumor I heard about the third game. It could be all in my head though.

I guess you could call this a spoiler for 999 though, just based on the box art for the VLR I knew clover and Alice would return, and since you spend most of 999 wondering if Alice is real or not, once she gets revealed at the very end of the true ending, the effect was kind of less :o: than it should have been for me.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Alright thread. I'm on the final ending of VLR.

If this is anything like the true ending to 999, I'm in for like 2+ hours of mind blasting amazingness.

Anyone have the link for the "answers" Q&A?

Edit: Holy.....oh my god...is this...Minesweeper?? :psyduck:

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 23, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

There's a thread for the series: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513092 so you don't fill this with black boxes.

Yeah I know, it's not very active though. I'll keep it to a minimum.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I never get any streetpasses where I live, but I took my 3DS XL with me to Toronto today and walked around for most of the afternoon and got like ten. I felt so lucky! One person had a fire emblem team and I should get a few guild cards for MH3U.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So the Club Nintendo year should be rolling over for this year soon, right? I reached platinum back in December...so will I get an email or something where I get to pick my prizes? I'm assuming I get one for Gold, and one for Platinum?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I am pretty excited for Mighty Switch Force 2. I've had the original for a while and have slowly been clearing the levels. I'm on the final two and dang they are difficult.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

crazkylo posted:

I immediately grabbed my 3ds to check if Mighty switch force 2 was out, or had a demo, or anything.

Guess I'll have to wait a few days. Anyone know if Jake Kaufman worked on the soundtrack for this one as well? The music is the main reason I bought the first one.

I'm 99% sure it's the same guy doing the soundtrack, and Wayforward say it's going to sound epic as hell.
E: Also isn't Shante coming to the VC next week?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

crazkylo posted:

Did a bit of looking around online, his wiki page says he did the soundtrack. Along with pretty much every other WayForward game.

Luckily he releases a lot of game soundtracks on his bandcamp right here!

Yeah he is incredible.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I have been saving up all my CN slips since I reached Platinum back in December. I finally get to enter them soon it's gonna be a nice headstart on the CN year.

E: And for everybody that's disappointed with the LttP map, I'm sure there will be LOADS of new secrets to find and ways to explore/manipulate the map, since I assume we will be getting a slew of new items and weapons.
And the fact that there are all new dungeons MUST mean that the world is going to be somewhat different...unless Nintendo keeps the dungeon entrances to all the SNES dungeons in the exact same places and just puts new dungeons inside...which would be pretty lazy.
Either way I'm buying it on release day no question.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 15, 2013

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
In my suburb I have never gotten a street pass (other than with someone I know directly) but when I walk around Toronto I tend to get around 10-20.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm playing Bowser's Inside Story for the first time thanks to this thread and I'm getting kinda grossed out by all the sphincter pipes...

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

AngryCaterpillar posted:

*Drives up to school*
*Gathers children onto 3DS*
*Drives away*

So creepy haha.

My local Chinatown works as well.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I picked up Shining Force on the VC and ohhhhh man.
I used to own this game (it might still be buried in my closet somewhere) when I was a kid.
I probably have not played it since the mid 90s but as soon as I heard the music and sound effects it all came rushing back. Amazing that these memories were still in my mind somewhere.
But yeah awesome times. This was my first strategy RPG before I even really understood the genre.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Eruonen posted:

Has anyone played the new Castlevania? If so, how is it? I've seen very mixed reviews.
Edit: Nevermind, didn't realise there was a demo!

The consensus is that it is a bad Castlevania, but a decent God of War style beat em up with a subpar framerate.
But try the demo.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Spagett posted:

Just picked up an XL for $180 + $4 shipping from a merchant on amazon.

The look on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Worst I ever get is a numb pinky but I just shake my hand for a second and it goes away.
I have big hands with long fingers and the XL is fine for hours of play.

• Locked thread