Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got a question about the eShop. I'm planning on downloading Fire Emblem when it comes out. This'll be my first time downloading a full retail title and I just want to make sure I get it all straight. When do retail titles usually go up for sale? The release date is Feb 4. Does that mean it'll go up at midnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lucinice posted:

Would all the stuff you got from the ambassador program be useable if you switched to an XL and used the same SD card or is there some sort of odd drm on it?

No, but you can do a system transfer to bring all that stuff to a new system. You must have both systems on hand, and they must both be able to connect to the Internet.

VVVVVV For me, it's the appeal of having it on the system all the time. I really hate having to switch carts. Plus, if you download it, you can get it immediately at midnight on release day. No lines, no driving, etc.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 3, 2013

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Aww, man. That Fire Emblem XL looks swank as hell. I totally would have gotten that bundle if they'd released it stateside! As it is, I just kept my shiny blue regular ol' 3DS. Maybe I should try painting something Fire Emblem-y on it...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, uh, okay? That is certainly tacky. I wonder how big Disney actually is in Japan when they have such a huge animation industry, but it's also the same people who think mixing up Final Fantasy and Disney is one the coolest things ever, so I guess it's big enough?

Now if it's big enough to take attention away from Animal Crossing is another matter.

They have a Disneyland in Tokyo, don't they? Not that that means much. There's a Disneyland Paris, too, and that place is a ghost town...

I wonder if it'd be like in Animal Crossing, where I could chase around characters I don't like and hit them with a net until they leave? If so, day one purchase. If not, pass.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DoctorOfLawls posted:

About to buy Luigi's Mansion and then pick up a free game with the promotion - Starfox 64 or Professor Layton? I already have Super Mario Land.

Well, they're two radically different games, so it really depends on what you like. Starfox is an arcade shooter. The main campaign is very short and can easily be beaten in one sitting. The idea is you replay it, taking different paths and trying to beat your high score. Layton is a puzzle-y sort of game. I haven't actually played it, but I love the hell out of Starfox.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

micron posted:

I have an older DS lite that hasn't been used in ages. My Kido is now five and I figure she could probably manipulate it pretty good. Most of the games listed are more geared for "goon" understanding. Anyone have any recommendations for early kid games? She uses my our "families" ipad and I'd like to ween her off of it.

Dunno how well she reads, but for kids, you can't go wrong with Pokemon. You could get her either Platinum or Black/White. Other than that, there's always Mario! Kids love Mario.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Ill try some random battles using paired up before restarting on normal. It seemed like losing an extra attack wasnt worth pairing so I was trying to just keep units next to eachother. Thanks for the advice.

In Fire Emblem, having one very strong unit is better than having 2 merely strong ones, because you do most of your killing on the enemy phase. Pair-up completely breaks the game.

Anyway, if you still have trouble, the Awakening thread is this-a-way. All us Fire Emblem nerds can help you out there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

turnways posted:

People keep mentioning FFTA2. I bought it way back, but never wound up playing it. How is it? I've been on the fence about picking up Fire Emblem, but only because I have FFTA2 and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars sitting in my backlog.

I loved the poo poo out of it. It's a vast, vast improvement over FFTA. It's lighthearted and fun, and has tons of content. It's one of my favorite DS games. You can't go wrong with it, really.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I'm suddenly getting really interested in Animal Crossing New Leaf due to a friend going on and on about all the new things in it. It comes out in a couple months right?

Wonder if I'll get arrested when I pick it up; I remember reading a article about the police force in my area thinking any adults who pick it up are only getting it to lure children home or something :v:

Um, what? :psyduck: Seriously, what. Why Animal Crossing of all things? It's just a cutesy sandbox game.

But yeah, it comes out June 9th (assuming you're in NA). Personally, I can't wait! Any word on whether we're getting the Animal Crossing XL bundle?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I had not heard of that. I am just utterly loving baffled. Why Animal Crossing and not, say, Pokemon?

But besides that, is it such a foreign concept that adults would play the game with... other adults?

Just... I am stunned.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love me my physical games, but I'm sure as hell getting Animal Crossing digitally. It'll be nice to always have on me after I lose most interest in the game a year or so after so I can still do whatever daily things without having to swap out whatever the current big 3DS we're all playing is.

Edit: Isn't Liberation Maiden and Crimson Shroud on sale today? When does the eShop update?

This is exactly while I'll be getting mine digitally. I petered out on the Wii version after a couple months because it just seemed like so much hassle to boot up the console and whatnot. I think Animal Crossing does better, at least for me, on handhelds. This way, I can check my turnip prices whenever!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm seriously considering getting the Animal Crossing XL bundle. Where would be a good place to get it, do you think? Anywhere offering deals on it yet?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I was thinking I'd go put a deposit down for an Animal Crossing XL today. Is the carrying case in the OP still the recommended one? I'm going to put the XL in my messenger bag when on the go and I don't want it to get jostled around too much. I cracked the screen of my current 3DS that way. Learned my lesson!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Looks like I'm at 175 hours on Fire Emblem, on top of the 250 I put into the Japanese version on my Japanese 3DS. Sort of curious to see if anybody can beat 425 hours on any 3DS game.

I'm almost there. :v: 415 hours on Fire Emblem. Got it midnight when it was released.

Somewhat in my defense, I've been unemployed the last month!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I get to go sit at a car dealership waiting for recall repairs for two anna half, three hours today. Will the 3DS hold out from a full charge if I'm playing the whole time?

(Assuming my interest levels hold out, anyway. Fire Emblem is fun but I am so frustratingly bad at tactics games.)

Turning the 3D off should help quite a bit. But really it should last for 3 hours no problem. Just make sure to give it a full charge beforehand!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Also, they could just not release it all instead of a digital download. Always look on the bright side folks :)

This, and on the other bright side, it won't be super rare and hard to find/expensive later! :haw:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons are getting a special promo price shortly after release. You can get 'em for 5 bucks each (1$ off) for the first... 2 weeks, or something?

Getting both for 10 bucks sounds like a rippin' deal to me! Definitely downloading those day 1.

Releasing May 30th. So excited! :woop:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Be sure to pick up Super Mario 3D Land and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

You might also want to look into Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I don't have it myself, but it has multiplayer, which might be fun to play with the missus.

Kid Icarus is another Goon favorite, but I haven't played that one either.

If you're still looking for games after that, there's Ocarina of Time 3D and Starfox 64 3D, both remakes of N64 games. Both are a lot of fun and have a lot of polish, especially Zelda.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Jakse posted:

Picked up the regular 3DS and I'm quite happy with it. Got Mario 3D and Ocarina of Time and Rune Factory 3 but the problem is instead of playing while traveling I just sit around and play the drat thing as a console. I have traveling coming up and need a real time sink to keep me away from the lighter more friendly travel games. Thinking Etrian Odyssey IV or Fire Emblem but are there any other really good games that have a poo poo ton of play to keep me from blowing through every possible game on my wish list?

Nothing wrong with doing what you're doing. It's how I play my 3DS: chill out on the couch with the charging cable plugged in.

If you're looking for a massive timesink game, can't go wrong with Fire Emblem. I've put hundreds of hours into the thing (multiple playthroughs). It's insane.

I also recommend Pokemon. It's another one of those games that suck you in if you let it. The latest ones are Black version and White version (and their sequels).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Jakse posted:

Sounds good, thanks. Probably going to go with Fire Emblem, just haven't played one since one of the GBA games. Any thoughts on digital download versus having a cart? Just preference? May just get some stuff digitally but dunno if there are any issues with it.

I have Fire Emblem digitally and I love it. I love that I don't have to switch games cards when I want to play it. I plan to get Animal Crossing digitally as well, for the same reason. Pop in, check my town, fish for awhile, play something else if I want to. All without switching anything out of my game slot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Palmtree Panic posted:

Ashamed to admit this, but I've never played a Castlevania game before. I love Metroid, so I know I'll enjoy the DS games. Which one should I start with? I'd prefer to start with the most pure Metroid-ish one.

I think they're all good. My favorite was Dawn of Sorrow. (Confession though: that's the only one I've played!) I think most people here say the best one is Order of Ecclesia.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

Is the first Castlevania worth $5? I'm really interested in it the series since I'm a big 2D Metroid fan.

The first Castlevania (well, the first several really) is nothing like later iterations in the series. The original was a straight action/platformer. The "Metroidvania" model didn't come into play until much later. If you're itching for some Metroid-ish action, you're better off checking out the DS Castlevanias: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. (All of which you can play on your 3DS, by the way.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

And does the earlier Castlevanias suffer from the same problem the original Metroid does? I'm interested in visiting the roots of the franchise. I'm planning on buying Dawn of Sorrow anyway and just downloaded a demo for Mirror of Fate.

Uh, it's sort of Ghouls and Ghosts-ish? Action platformer, you know? Jump around, whip things?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Minidust posted:

I was surprised at how sparse the instruction manual is for Fire Emblem. Should I look into some online resources, or will the game teach me everything if I'm patient? I'm about four missions in now, and still feel like I'm missing a lot of the mechanics.

Might as well throw in a couple of specific questions while I'm at it:
- How do I see what effect one unit will have by being next to another unit? Right now I just put guys next to each other and good stuff happens, but I'd like to know more about the specific effects so I can plan better.
- What advantage does "Pair up" have over just putting guys next to each other? Does putting a paired-up unit next to another unit provide further advantage?
- Some of my units get hearts when a turn is over, how can I predict that and properly take advantage of it?
- There are these downloadable teams that take the place of "shops" on the world map. Can I lose units if I fight them?

There are tutorials that pop up periodically that do a pretty good job of explaining things. Which difficulty are you on? On Normal, I think the tutorials are unlocked as you go along, but on Hard you can read them all at your leisure.

1) You'll see support bonuses when you enter battle, but I think it's +10 hit to start, and then an extra 5% or so to Hit/Avoid/Critical for each support rank. With +20 or so across the board for an S-rank.

2) Pair Up gives you stat bonuses (significant ones) in addition to the Support bonus. For example, pairing a unit with Frederick will give you bonuses to Str, Def, and movement. Pair up bonuses also increase as the unit's stats do. I think you get an extra point of pair up bonus for each 4 or 5 stat points you gain. In other words, Pair Up gives massive advantages and you should do it all the time.

3) The hearts popping up mean your units are gaining support points with each other.

4) Unless you're playing on Casual mode, yes. Save before you fight them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

The golden calf for min/maxers is a broke-as-poo poo skill called Galeforce, which is available to a class called Dark Flier (a promoted Pegasus Knight, I think). It allows a character to get a second turn if they kill an enemy, which means a single sufficiently strong unit armed with Galeforce could clear out half a map by themselves in a single turn. Most of the "WHO SHOULD MARRY WHO" discourse revolves around getting that skill onto as many characters as possible through inheritance. Like I said, people like you and me who get leery of all the number games don't need to go nuts over it, but you should give special care to Pegasus Knights you can actually recruit for that reason.

I felt I should correct this last bit. Galeforce is indeed broken, but it only activates once per turn. Now, if you Pair Up two units with Galeforce, then you can kill 3 enemies on your turn, with the ability to move between each kill. Pretty nice, and well worth passing on to male children!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Unrelated: I'm going to take my 3DS on a plane. All I'll need to do is hit the wireless switch to not have the thing get me killed, right? There isn't some kind of discrete "airplane mode" option in the actual OS options?

You can switch off the wireless if you really want, but I just took mine on a plane this past week (twice, 4 planes total) and didn't bother. I didn't even turn it all the way off when they said "switch off all approved electronic devices... blah blah." I just put it in sleep mode. The plane didn't crash or anything. I also got 4 Streetpasses so yay?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Catastrophe! I booted up my 3DS this morning after getting back from a trip and the fucker is bricked.

It's throwing out the black screen "an error has occurred, turn off the system and turn it on again" about 5-10 seconds after it turns on.

I already have a repair order in with Ninty. ($100 repair. Thanks, guys!)

I picked a good time to get an XL. On Sunday. While my system will be in for repairs. :suicide:

Question. I'm getting the Animal Crossing bundle. If I go and play the game when I get it, will that save get wiped when I do a system transfer after I get my old 3DS back?

If so, waiting those 1-2 weeks with the new system in hand is going to be AGONIZING. drat it, Nintendo. 25 years of buying your systems and I never have a lick of trouble with them until this 3DS. What has happened to you?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

fount of knowledge posted:

Presumably he's doing a transfer from his old 3DS (With all his non-Animal Crossing content) to the new AC XL, and he's asking if this action will wipe a pre-existing save made on the XL.

Yes, that was the question.

pandaK posted:

Ah, well if they answer ever turns out to be yes, what's stopping you from just keeping the files on your 3DS there and continuing on with the XL? Unless you're one of those people who really likes to resell stuff, that is.

Uh... nothing aside from the convenience of having everything on one system? That's kind of the point of a system transfer, isn't it? Or am I missing some vital detail?

But yes, my problem is my current 3DS is currently in for repairs, and now on Sunday I'll be getting a shiny new 3DS XL that I will want to transfer everything to, and can't, because said system is getting fixed.

I was wondering if I started business on the new XL (Animal Crossing things) if that would be wiped when I did the transfer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

So I recently purchased a 3DS XL for Link to the Past 2 and Pokemon X down the line. I got Fire Emblem (amazing) and Kingdom Hearts (unimpressed) with it, then later Mario 3D Land (haven't tried it yet) and Ocarina of Time (amazing) fell into my lap. Are there any other must-plays for now? And since I missed the entire DS era, what are some games I should get for that side of things? The Mario & Luigi discussion made me go look into Bowser's Inside Story and that looks super-fun, so I think I'll grab that. Probably going to trade in Kingdom Hearts for it.

I like RPGs, puzzle games, and platformers.

Also, are there any games (DS or 3DS) notable for using the touchscreen in really creative ways? I notice that the games I own now have me barely using it at all, and if there's some killer app that defines why the DS is such a great idea I'd love to try it. Especially if it's fairly old and therefore cheap!

The DS is RPG heaven. You're in luck!

I haven't seen anyone mention The World Ends with You yet. I it's a fine RPG that also uses the dual screens and stylus in creative ways! You control two characters: one on the top screen with the face buttons/control pad, and one on the bottom screen with the stylus. It's hectic and fun.

For a more traditional RPG experience, there's also Final Fantasy Tactics A2, which is a sequel to a GBA game but only loosely related to it. It's one of my very favorite games on the system and I heartily recommend it! In addition, there's a remake of Final Fantasy IV that's rock solid- complete graphical overhaul, voiced cutscenes, and a brand new mechanic called Augments. Definitely also worth looking into!

And there are three, count 'em, three Metroidvania style Castlevania games on the DS! Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. All of them are great.

You'll be set for couch gaming for life! Be sure to check out Pokemon Black/White and Black2 and White2 if you need your Pokemon fix now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koMru0MVkYw

Nearly four minutes of Sonic Lost Worlds gameplay. Looking good.

OK yeah. Didn't realize this was the 3DS one at first. That looks great! Sorta Mario Galaxy/Super Mario 3D Land-ish.

Imagine how pretty it'll look in 3D, with that background and everything!

There's a Wii U version too, right? I may have to get both!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

I think I'm going to grab a 3DS after work today on an impulse. I loved my GBA, but lost my DS a few months after it launched and never got back into handhelds. I think I'm going to get Zelda and Monster Hunter right off the bat. I'm also getting any Castlevanias that I've missed, DS and 3DS. Is the 3DS Castlevania any good? The reviews are less than stellar and the videos make it seem less old school sprite-based fun. Also I hated Lords of Shadow and never got far in it.

I'll look into Fire Emblem after those. I've never played one before.

As mentioned, the 3DS Castlevania is pretty mediocre. Now, the DS ones, that's another matter entirely! There were three of them and they're all fantastic! Definitely check those out if you like Castlevania, and definitely get Fire Emblem.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zeether posted:

The next Sega 3D Classics game is Ecco The Dolphin: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/ecco/

Meanwhile, we still haven't gotten any of the games here. :negative:

Seriously? Oh come the gently caress on, I love Ecco the Dolphin! :swoon: That game is a piece of my childhood, a childhood stuck on the first level because I couldn't figure out how to jump out of the water. :downs: All the same I loved it. I love the music, and the whole atmosphere. I still have never managed to make it through The Machine.

Please get released over here, please!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Right. I cracked and bought an XL just because I need to play Animal Crossing. I'm a 39 year old man.

I'm totally out of the loop with regards to Nintendo. I'll grab Fire Emblem at some point. Other than that, right now I have a 3DS and Animal Crossing. Is there anything in particular a new 3DS owner who knows gently caress all about recent Nintendo stuff needs to know? If so, lay it on me.

I swore I wouldn't get a 3DS. Region locked, one sticked bullshit that it is. That loving Tom Nook though.

I have no regrets.

Well, I don't now how long you've been out of the Nintendo loop, but there's also 3DS remakes of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64. Both are solid, but very different games, so it depends on what you like. Also Luigi's Mansion, which came out recently.

Other than that, there's a humungous DS library with loads and loads of great games you can draw upon as well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I got an XL (the Animal Crossing one) even though the regular 3DS was perfectly comfortable. I have tiny dainty lady hands, you see.

Well, after seeing the huge bright screen and how drat nice literally everything looks on it, I can't go back, even though the thing cramps my wrists. :(

But boy does my old 3DS look loving tiny by comparison! I used to play that thing? For hours on end?!

Madness.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I was also having an issue with some thing I registered yesterday counting towards my Elite Status. Just checked, and it's fixed!

I'll probably still wait a bit before putting anything else in there, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Having played Okami this is infintiely a worse choice than just having loving voice acting

Eh, I don't know about you, but after awhile the gibberish voices just sort of blended into the background. Even if they didn't, the rest of the game is just so drat nice, I think I can forgive it!

Then again, I may have played Okami a bit too much...

I do agree that Zelda games don't need voice acting, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Newegg has all 3DS games for 10% off right now.

link

Enter promo code EMCXNWL37

Free shipping, too!

That finally got me to pull the trigger on SMT IV. I've never played a single game in the franchise. It'd better be as good as folks say!

Oh, and I just discovered there are 2 Nintendo Zone thingies within walking distance of my office. Nice!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

I had trouble as a kid because I didnt find the path under a floating platform in the central pillar. The 3ds version zooms in on it pretty obviously in a way I don't remember thr original doing. But I could be wrong.

It definitely didn't. I got stuck on that stupid temple for weeks. I finally had to haul off and buy the player's guide to get past it. (I wasn't aware of Gamefaqs back then, if it was even a thing yet.)

So yeah, gently caress all of you saying the Water Temple wasn't that hard. To kids playing the game for the first time it sure as hell was! :mad:

The 3DS version is much improved! Playing the Water Temple on that was almost pleasant. Adding that little camera pan when the platform rises with the water would have saved younger me so much time and headache!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Oh completely forgot about this game. (is it good?)

I enjoyed it (Pokemon Conquest). It's really cute and the premise is really fun. Just be aware, a deep strategy game, it ain't. Pokemon only get one attack and one ability, for example. It's not nearly as good of a spinoff game as, say, the Mystery Dungeon games. That said, it is fun and adorable, especially the character art. The different warlords' interactions with their signature Pokemon is so. freaking. cute. Oh and plus there's tons of extra content in the form of downloadable missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

This is the exact reason why you shouldn't worry. I imagine the majority of people who actually bought the Poptart and Pikachu XLs did so to sell again later and not to use.

Wait, what? People do that?

I bought my Poptart to use, and I use it every goddamn day. Especially since my old 3DS bricked. I love it. It's a good little Poptart.

• Locked thread