Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Baconroll posted:

The skeleton of King Richard III of England has now been positively identified with DNA - whats interesting is the range of wounds - Suggestions are there was an arrow in the spine, and also a halberd and dagger wounds.

Here's the BBC article on the find: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

I know archeology is pretty awesome, but sometimes the things people can discover with it are downright amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

Similarly, a master would probably use a fechtbuch to record techniques that were special, rather than the techniques that everybody used and were foundational to fighting. This doesn't mean that what's in the fechtbücher is impractical, only that they were out of the ordinary and most likely situational in their utility.

I have only had acquintance with Fiore dei Liberi's Flower of Battle, but based on that I would offer comments. There's a very clear 'logic' in the said manual: the guard positions introduced in the initial unarmed section are the same that are used with daggers, swords, and poleaxes (and even have same names), so there's a focus on creating flexible principles (or foundation) of movement and reactions. There are a couple of cases (off the top of my head) where it's clear that the book's target audience is an aristocratic sponsor: one is a counter against someone who is using their sword like an axe (i.e. focusing on raw force and not cutting, a 'peasant's strike') and one is 'a special case' of using poison.

That said, I'd argue that at least Fiore focuses on practical attacks and counters, and does not feature 'flashy', exotic movements. When something is rare, it's mentioned to be rare, or has important qualifiers ('will only work if done with rapidity'), but the majority of movements are very simple and to-the-point.

You make a very good point about the prevalence of judicial combat, though: that seems to be Fiore's emphasis as well, even if there are a few illustrations about fighting multiple opponents and horseback combat.

• Locked thread