Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

USMC_Karl posted:

Just an open invitation, a Korean buddy and I are going to be playing some bball in Olympic Park. If anyone wants to hoin you are welcome to. Look for a foreigner playing bball just inside the Olympic Park station gate and walk on up.

What time and when? Like now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Someone readd me to kakao chat. My ID is okaybrah

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I have to use hangeul word processor to edit a 290-page document and now I lust for fan death

quote:

Myanmar has rainy season so it get flood annual. When route is planed, detour route or making plan height higher should be reviewed after selecting expectation area and section where there is flood damage frequently. And improvement for the problem is required because Divisional road or Township road gives some confusion by meaning the region where the road and the responsible authority locate.

I'm like ~80% that the entire thing is a naver translate first-pass

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 17, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Oh man, I could never adapt to HWP. My condolences.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Word opens HWP files.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Unfortunately because HWP is such a garbage piece of poo poo word can't interpret the weird formatting rules* and won't preserve it going back (I can't do HWP->Word->HWP) and keep it with the formatting the client wants

*Also because no one loving uses the actual on-board formatting tools like actual reasonable adults. What's that I want to make a list? There's a button? Nah I'm just gonna look up the unicode numbers for bullet-7-in-a-circle and indent everything with spaces and leave it precariously in this invisible table whose padding I use to simulate indentation.

I've been working on this document for the last two days and I'm barely a third of the way through the first section. I'm working at like a fifth of my usual speed thanks to how hosed up and broken every part of this is. I'm being paid my highest rate plus a bonus, but I'm going to ask for even more money. If I have to piece together ~72,000 Korean-public-school-English-education words into something human readable it can at least pay for my wedding.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I hope you're charging 10k a page.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 18, 2015

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

DontAskKant posted:

What time and when? Like now?

Hey man, sorry it was just then. With that said, I just realized that I can rent a 1/2 court near my place for 1.5hours at a go for free. So..... would anyone that lives in eastern seoul/Kyeongi province be interested in setting up a regular bball game? Nothing serious, I am pretty horrible at the sport, but it would be cool to have some regular sporting activities. Either that or maybe meeting up in the Han River park? I know there are courts sporadically spaced.

*edit* I have a ball and could easily supply water/snacks. Also, the court is in Gangil-dong near all kinds stores and restaurants. There is even a decent BBQ cafe, 쌀통닭 and Gram Gram within 2 minutes walking distance.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

USMC_Karl posted:

Hey man, sorry it was just then. With that said, I just realized that I can rent a 1/2 court near my place for 1.5hours at a go for free. So..... would anyone that lives in eastern seoul/Kyeongi province be interested in setting up a regular bball game? Nothing serious, I am pretty horrible at the sport, but it would be cool to have some regular sporting activities. Either that or maybe meeting up in the Han River park? I know there are courts sporadically spaced.

*edit* I have a ball and could easily supply water/snacks. Also, the court is in Gangil-dong near all kinds stores and restaurants. There is even a decent BBQ cafe, 쌀통닭 and Gram Gram within 2 minutes walking distance.

There is a local organization thing for pickup basketball games over here: http://map.naver.com/?menu=location&mapMode=0&lat=37.4907076&lng=126.9219437&dlevel=14&enc=b64

Here's their website: http://www.goatbasketballkorea.com/

I've always thought about going but haven't actually bothered to really do it yet.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Onion Knight posted:

Unfortunately because HWP is such a garbage piece of poo poo word can't interpret the weird formatting rules* and won't preserve it going back (I can't do HWP->Word->HWP) and keep it with the formatting the client wants

*Also because no one loving uses the actual on-board formatting tools like actual reasonable adults. What's that I want to make a list? There's a button? Nah I'm just gonna look up the unicode numbers for bullet-7-in-a-circle and indent everything with spaces and leave it precariously in this invisible table whose padding I use to simulate indentation.

I've been working on this document for the last two days and I'm barely a third of the way through the first section. I'm working at like a fifth of my usual speed thanks to how hosed up and broken every part of this is. I'm being paid my highest rate plus a bonus, but I'm going to ask for even more money. If I have to piece together ~72,000 Korean-public-school-English-education words into something human readable it can at least pay for my wedding.

Could you separate the tasks of rewriting and reformatting? I've been in this situation as a tech writer and it was much easier to work in my comfort-zone then build a set of rules to get me 80% of the way to the way the client wanted it, then go through a final edit.

Alternatively, build styles to imitate their nonsense, then hire someone from MVP-Pros or another office scripting shop to write a macro to convert the styles to hard characters. When I had a well characterized "input>do something>output" it only cost me $300 out of pocket and saved me so much sanity.

I'm not sure what the limitations of MS word styles are, but being able to apply a style, then expand it into hard-coded character-only representation seems doable.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

They've told me that this will be the only time I'll have to work in HWP, and I've decided to believe them, so I think I can avoid spending time or money on a macro or text scraper. If I have to do this again in the future, I might go that route.
I resorted to just pulling the big blocks into a text editor for regex expressions, because HPW's word search just... doesn't work. Sometimes. I can't get its "conditional expression" function to work at all. Oh well.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Does anyone here have experience of Hyeonnae-myeon?

I'm going to Korea this summer for a fieldwork trip, and planning it out google maps points to two hotels in Hyeonnae-myeon, would anyone that's been there be able to confirm that? Would I have a massive amount of trouble booking one as an english guy who doesn't speak a lick of Korean? Would i be better basing myself in Gangneung and driving up just for the day?

Edit: Also whilst I'm here, does anyone have any ideas as for ideal gifts that would be appreciated by Koreans? I would like to give a gift to the people at the uni there helping me, and was wondering if there's anything british that I could take that that Koreans enjoy i.e., I'm taking a range of British tea to China.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 21, 2015

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
If it's all the same to you, I'd recommend Sokcho to the south. It's basically a large town. However, it's a popular resort town with lots of pensions and hotels for tourists. It'll put you about 20km closer to where you'll be working. Also it has sandy beaches and potential snorkeling.

You can use airbnb.com to find a place to stay, and it will be in english. If you want to hard-mode it, you can mess around on Ticket Monster and try and book a place for cheaper, but thats 100% Korean on 100% Korean internet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Generally Koreans aren't interested in anything not Korean, but good chocolate will go over well with most people, and booze will work unless they're super Christians (in which case you get to drink it yourself I guess?).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bring spam.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Onion Knight posted:

They've told me that this will be the only time I'll have to work in HWP, and I've decided to believe them, so I think I can avoid spending time or money on a macro or text scraper. If I have to do this again in the future, I might go that route.
I resorted to just pulling the big blocks into a text editor for regex expressions, because HPW's word search just... doesn't work. Sometimes. I can't get its "conditional expression" function to work at all. Oh well.

Sounds like a best of a bad situation solution.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Nobody in Korea likes HWP tbh. It's such a garbage that only public sector insists on using.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
All of my coworkers use MsOffice. for the record though, we're a private corporate hagwon, not some half-baked public school.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Can I start giving MBC ad revenue again? It's been 2-3 years since their SHOCKING MBC EXCLUSIVE FOREIGNERS ARE SCUM docu.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
This always exists.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gooninthebackground.jpg

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
:stare::fh:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

AmbientParadox posted:

SHOCKING MBC EXCLUSIVE FOREIGNERS ARE SCUM docu.

Link?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09FXOZVw4g

Fun fact: the guy who says he's going to go get one is my rugby teammate and said that after 30 minutes of being badgered

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I think I'm safe. I'm a good foreigner, because I'm short and therefore not attractive to Korean women.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I'm not safe. I'm a bad foreigner, because I have self confidence and therefore am attractive to some women.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Fun fact: the guy who says he's going to go get one is my rugby teammate and said that after 30 minutes of being badgered

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus. :stare:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

WarpedNaba posted:

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus. :stare:

the follow up is pretty good tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elZilTWDOag

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I feel like there is one person that posted in this thread that is basically all the dudes in those videos except more choking.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

quote:

Rapidly, she offers her virginity to the white bastard.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Half the people in that video that claimed to be American spoke like they had some sort of problem and actually didn't sound American at all. Reminds me of the same crap the Chinese government puts out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

I'd seen this parody before, never knew it was in response to a disgusting original though :stare: loving christ, the parody really isn't far from the real thing.

On a lighter note, the Korean text in the parody is fun and has little side jokes that you'll miss if you can't read Korean well:

- The book store part is labeled "Foreigner's Rape Site"

- The lab-coated science dude's name means "idiot"

- The taxi scene labels the woman as a whore ("western princess") for foreigners right off the bat

- I love the subtitles during the phone interview, the westerner's answers are misrepresented to seem like he's bragging about raping hundreds of "easy" Korean women (while the interviewer remained polite)

- The woman with the Canadian boyfriend is labelled "foreigner addict"

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I'm actually curious what that entailed.

• Locked thread