Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Even the gym in my little podunk town had a squat rack, and legit Olympic bars.

Owner was a former bodybuilder though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't win with my commute. If I get to the bus stop at 7:25 I show up to work 30 minutes early. If I get there at 7:30 I'm ten minutes late. I don't understand how this can be so consistent.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Perhaps you were premature in declaring that Bundang owns?

plashy
Apr 13, 2012
"I want to thank you for not forcing more alcohol on me than I can handle and then groping me in a hotel."

There's really, really no need to thank me for that.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yeah, it says a lot about the way ladies are treated when you wake up the next morning and no hankey-pankey has commenced and she thanks you for not raping her.

Brownie points like crazy especially if she tells her friends!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Even amoung the sex tourists they are known as the worst. Cheap, abusive and no fun. I dont know how you get a worse reputation than wrinkly old europeans or mustache weilding pedos, but by god did Korea get number one position as most hated.

They get abused and poo poo on by bosses, so on vacation, they are the boss, and are happy to abuse and poo poo on someone else for a change.

That's my guess, anyway. It's a power thing. They have no power back home, so they take it where they can get it.

plashy posted:

"I want to thank you for not forcing more alcohol on me than I can handle and then groping me in a hotel."

There's really, really no need to thank me for that.

I got a similar comment from my wife when we started dating. She was surprised that any time she told me she wasn't in the mood for sex, I didn't whine and immediately stopped trying.

Women have such a poo poo lot here. :( I think I'll pick up some flowers for her on my way home today.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 29, 2013

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
It's not just Koreans. I've been thanked by Western women for not being rapey as well. Why is getting someone a glass of water at the bar such a kind and caring gesture? That's what you're supposed to do.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
If you live in Busan, how feasible is it to take the odd weekend in Fukuoka? Assuming you have somewhere to crash/couchsurf, would it be massively more expensive than staying in the city?

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
I'm proofreading an article that's setting off some very weird alarm bells.

The thesis of it is that Korean people are viewed as being very level-headed in a crisis. It then jumps immediately into Korean-Americans during the 1992 LA riots, riots which were partly fueled by a Korean shopkeeper shooting an unarmed black girl in the back of the head. My impression was the Korean community earned a very negative reputation during the riots.

I have a bad feeling we're about to publish another article on the level of that "Psy was a success because of his Korean DNA" article.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You could try to, you know, show them that article and say "Koreans shoot black girls in the head during a crisis" to demostrate why they're dumb to constantly write about stereotypes.

If Koreans as a rule are calm and collected during a crisis than the list in terms of things that scare Koreans must be something like this.

A kitten
A warm cup of coffee
A kiss from their sweetheart

Attack by North Korea

Earthquake
Life threatening surgery

Indian restaurants

Dogs

Using English
Not knowing someone's age/status

Pigeons :gonk:

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'm flying through Incheon airport in a few days and have a 14 hour layover that starts in evening. Is there anything interesting to do at night in the area that doesn't involve clubbing?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slifter posted:

I'm flying through Incheon airport in a few days and have a 14 hour layover that starts in evening. Is there anything interesting to do at night in the area that doesn't involve clubbing?

Invite Lummox to the Jimjibang.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nullscan posted:

Yeah, it says a lot about the way ladies are treated when you wake up the next morning and no hankey-pankey has commenced and she thanks you for not raping her.

Brownie points like crazy especially if she tells her friends!

Yep. My first Korean friend was reluctant to come over to hang out because she thought I was going to try to gently caress her, eventually she risked it after my reassurances and when no rape occurred all was good. I let her sleep off a serious drunk here once and she was surprised I didn't do anything to her while she was passed out. It was sad, honestly.

Whenever political discussions happen I encourage my friends to rise up against men and the bosses. :jihad:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Whenever political discussions happen I encourage my friends to rise up against men and the bosses. :jihad:

Seriously. I know we're supposed to leave Korea to the Koreans, but gently caress it, I'm a lifer and I spend 99% of my time in the company of Koreans. Like hell I'll just sit back and accept that kind of bullshit.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Toussaint Louverture posted:

You could try to, you know, show them that article and say "Koreans shoot black girls in the head during a crisis" to demostrate why they're dumb to constantly write about stereotypes.

Yes, that was brought up for sure. The article hasn't been published yet, but I think I got through that the way it was written could come off as racist.

It's entirely about an article published in a Hong Kong newspaper, so this time around it's not quite coming from the same style of South Korean Juche as the Psy Heung DNA article. This Chinese article seems to think Koreans are resilient because they fought the gangs during the LA riots to defend their families, and because they donated their gold to the country to save it from the 1997 financial crisis. Our writer added in the Taean oil spill cleanup which I think is certainly a better example.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Edit: /\/\ I still have some pics on my old flickr account of my 2 days volunteering to clean up at Taean, the adjumas were super thankful and kind of confused as to why whitey was out there scrubbing rocks. Man that poo poo was cold though. When I get home I'll look for the pics.

The Bible posted:

Seriously. I know we're supposed to leave Korea to the Koreans, but gently caress it, I'm a lifer and I spend 99% of my time in the company of Koreans. Like hell I'll just sit back and accept that kind of bullshit.

BUT THE PRIME DIRECTIVE!

It's kind of worse for me/my area because everyone knows us GIs are just rape machines. But I don't have a solid diet of babies since they stopped letting me volunteer at the orphanage so I just don't have the energy.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 29, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bible posted:

Well, that's why I talk to friends about it. I can't do anything myself but I encourage feminism and worker's rights in everyone I know. When we're talking about appropriate things, I don't just LF at people. I try to do it with the kids too.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Toussaint Louverture posted:

[The] list in terms of things that scare Koreans must be something like this.

A kitten
A warm cup of coffee
A kiss from their sweetheart

Attack by North Korea
Earthquake
Life threatening surgery
Indian restaurants
Dogs
Using English
Not knowing someone's age/status
Pigeons :gonk:

Your list needs only slight editing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I teased my old coworker by saying we should get matching "gently caress Confucius" tattoos.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What are some musts for a week in Seoul? I plan on visiting all the museums and going to the DMZ but what are some things that tourists overlook?

Also, if anyone shows me around, I will pay them in beer and soju.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I plan on visiting all the museums and going to the DMZ but what are some things that tourists overlook?

You will probably get really tired of that about 1.5 museums in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gildiss posted:

You will probably get really tired of that about 1.5 museums in.

If you're a lame-o lameface. But do the National Museum first, then the War Museum. Those are the most impressive so you'll at least get the good stuff, then go from there.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a degree in history so my tolerance for museums is much higher than the average person but I don't think I would go to maybe more than 3. I'm mostly interested in the National History Museum and the War Memorial.

EDIT: I don't know any Korean too so I'm sure that shortens the list. I'm used to getting museums that only have Chinese displays in China but I do speak/read Chinese at an intermediate level.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One of the very few genuine ancient things I've seen was the fortress on top of Achasan. You can't see very much of it (like, almost none) but I'm enough of a history/archaeology nerd that it was satisfying. Plus almost everything else is modern reconstruction so I'll take anything real.

EDIT: I don't know any Korean too so I'm sure that shortens the list. I'm used to getting museums that only have Chinese displays in China but I do speak/read Chinese at an intermediate level.

Almost all the museum displays are in both Korean and English, and often also Chinese and Japanese. However after going to a couple museums in Gyeongju with a Korean I now know the English translations can be spotty/dishonest. So keep that in mind, but you can go basically anywhere with just English.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Almost all the museum displays are in both Korean and English, and often also Chinese and Japanese. However after going to a couple museums in Gyeongju with a Korean I now know the English translations can be spotty/dishonest. So keep that in mind, but you can go basically anywhere with just English.

Awesome. Ruins and old forts are also good.

Will you be stopping into Seoul during that time Grand Fromage? I want to buy you a beer for the Rome thread making hours of boring bus rides bearable.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

What are some musts for a week in Seoul? I plan on visiting all the museums and going to the DMZ but what are some things that tourists overlook?

I'd say the markets are the best thing to see when you're here. They're like living museums, and many have food and drink.

These are the most worth visiting:

-Namdaemun
-Insadong - best place to buy touristy souvenirs for people back home
-Dongdaemun, but only if you can find your way around to the flea markets and not get confined to the huge department stores
-Gwangjang - go there for a meal
-Ewha Womans University market - my favourite for bad English products
-No need to visit Myeongdong unless you're female and don't know the value of money

You'll probably find you've had enough once you're 2.5 markets in.

My tours usually involve tunnels, ladders, and narrow escapes from security, so take my advice at your own peril.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Awesome. Ruins and old forts are also good.

Will you be stopping into Seoul during that time Grand Fromage? I want to buy you a beer for the Rome thread making hours of boring bus rides bearable.

I don't think so, that's after my vacation. :negative: And I'm going this weekend, can't afford two trips. But maybe.

Glad the Rome thread is appreciated, even without the beer. I never expected it to still be alive this long.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

One of my favorite random things I've done is the horse racing track (Seoul Racecourse Park). Keep in mind that you should know how it works before you go because the pamphlets are woefully insufficient.

If you come in spring, skip Namsan and climb a mountain instead. Ansan near Yonsei University has an awesome peak that you can get a great 360 degree view from, without windows.

The Han River Park is awesome and anyone who can ride a bike at all can probably do Yeouido Park (bikes are available for 1000 Won an hour) to World Cup Park and back, which is a great part of the city.

Korea has "professional" basketball, baseball, and soccer, and they're actually not too bad, so if you get bored the games are super cheap- less than 10,000 Won.

There are often good exhibitions and performances near the City Hall and Gwanghwamun area, and a great place to find info is http://www.korea4expats.com/event.php .

Maybe I'll think of now in a bit.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately I'm coming from Feb. 9th-16th so most sports are on their off season. I would love to go to a baseball game.

Are any of the other cities worth visiting for a day? Since it's the holiday season traveling outside of Seoul is probably unfeasible.

The info given so far has been great, thanks guys.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Unfortunately I'm coming from Feb. 9th-16th so most sports are on their off season. I would love to go to a baseball game.

Are any of the other cities worth visiting for a day? Since it's the holiday season traveling outside of Seoul is probably unfeasible.

The info given so far has been great, thanks guys.

Maybe it would be worth going to Suwon to see Hwaseong Fortress? But yeah, your instincts are right, don't travel outside the metro area during major holidays, at least during the designated traffic jam days.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gyeongju was the capital of the first unified Korean kingdom. Lots of stuff there to see. Other cities in Korea are largely identical so I wouldn't bother with just a week, but Gyeongju would be worth a trip if you want to get out of Seoul. Traveling would be fine, Seollal isn't nearly as big a deal here as Spring Festival in China. I wouldn't try to leave Seoul during it but from Tuesday on you should be fine.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Hello Chinagoon as is tradition we will organize some sort of welcoming committee for you, with pomp and circumstance fitting an esteemed ambassador from the Celestial Kingdom. I'll probably be off Feb 11-13 so I'd be interesting in checking out some historical stuff witcha.

Hwaseong is cool but a long way to go to see a recreated fortress that is basically the same as the rebuilt fortress at Namsan but larger. Although if you go to Suwon DontAskKant will probably eat strange things with you and show you his homemade "tea".

Do you have a smartphone? If so get Kakaotalk and post your ID so you can get in on the groupchat. Everything is easier there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's good Chinese food there! I'm sure you never get to eat that! :haw:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Korean people are very scared of pigeons. It's pretty funny.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cameron posted:

Korean people are very scared of pigeons. It's pretty funny.

I've never seen them pay pigeons any mind at all. They just seem to ignore them like everybody else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Bible posted:

I've never seen them pay pigeons any mind at all. They just seem to ignore them like everybody else.

Watch at a bus stop if a pigeon starts walking toward the people. It's hilarious.

I was a hero at my school for a solid week because a sparrow got in and was scaring everyone, I caught him with my jacket and brought him outside. The whitest knight.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Watch at a bus stop if a pigeon starts walking toward the people. It's hilarious.

I was a hero at my school for a solid week because a sparrow got in and was scaring everyone, I caught him with my jacket and brought him outside. The whitest knight.

A huge hornet got in my classroom once and came right for me. I whacked it out of the air with a stick sending it crashing into the very center of the table with about 10 girls gathered around it. I never did get control of that class back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Bible posted:

A huge hornet got in my classroom once and came right for me. I whacked it out of the air with a stick sending it crashing into the very center of the table with about 10 girls gathered around it. I never did get control of that class back.

Oh yeah, I've done battle with a few of the giant Asian hornets in class. For some reason my heroics there only last a day but the sparrow was a bigger deal. Even though the hornet is literally deadly. :iiam:

I always use poison though, I'm impressed you baseballed it.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Neither of you were at broseok. You don't know hornet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Dat rear end

• Locked thread