Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
wateyad
Nov 17, 2007
"Frankly you'll probably end up changing it eventually."

Let's Play Final Gears of Fantasy War aka Japanese Fantasy Mass Effect aka...

The Last Story is an RPG directed by the man who created the Final Fantasy series, with music by the man who made the music for most of the Final Fantasy series that neither plays nor sounds anything like a Final Fantasy game. What we have here is a japanese game about swords and magic that takes its primary mechanical inspiration from modern western cover based shooters, plays mostly in real time and has a dodge roll yet seems to be actively trying not to be too much of an action game. The game puts a lot of emphasis on level design and on making the presence of a party tactically important without giving the player full micro-managey control over them. It's a unique and interesting game that's kind of hard to describe in text (that's what the videos are for).

Story Stuff

The world is dying and no one really seems to know why. Wherever you go, the wind carries snow-like flakes of dead geography.

This is Zael, we'll be spending the vast majority of the game controling him. He's a member of a mercenary band along with these people:

They've all come to Lazulis island, a place where nature mysteriously still flourishes, with a reputation for being one of the safest and most peaceful places in the empire. This might seem like a weird place for mercenaries to go but they've been hired by the local count to clear out a cave of monsters (where we join them in media res) and Dagran, their leader, thinks there's more work where that came from and if they keep at it maybe even a way out of the mercenary lifestyle. I don't really consider it a spoiler that things aren't going to stay peaceful for too long.

Stuff About This LP Specifically

I'll be holding the controller. Infamous forums moperator Pork Lift will, as always, be riding shotgun with his particular brand of "lively" co-commentary. We'll also be being joined for significant portions of the LP by forums user eating only apples whose ongoing Sims 3 LP, in which myself and Pork Lift do not star but are featured as neighbours to the main cast, can be found here.

As usual for us, this is a live commentated VLP that goes light on the editing, not that a heavier hand would find much to cut out here as this game is pretty much all killer no filler and easy enough that things like dying and having to repeat sections shouldn't be an issue.

The update schedule should be roughly one video every four days with extras in between for bonus content and anything that I don't want to eat an update.

wateyad fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2013 around 14:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

Table of Contents

What You're Probably Here For

Episode 1: In Media Res (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 2: Welcome to Let's Play The Last Story (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 3: At the Pub (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 3a: Back Alley Time (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 3b: On Currency (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 3c: Staring at People for Fun and Profit (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 3d: Accentuate the Butt Cape (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 3e: Bloodsports (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 4: Princess-sitting (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 5: Welcome to Level 2 (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 6: It Looks Like a Big Fluffy Muffin (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 7: As If Nothing Had Happened (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 7a: Let's Go Catch Some Birds (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 7b: Let's Go Catch Some Frogs (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 8: High Society (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 8a: Some Light Reading (I)
Episode 9: Guard Duty (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 10: Bravery, Guts and Stupidity (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 11: On a Boat (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 12: Mutiny (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 13: Talk to Everyone on the Ship Twice (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 14: The Enchanted Garden (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 15: Spider Boss Fight (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 16: Nobody Loves Yurick (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 17: Mirror Image (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 18: You Look Fantastic (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 19: Sound the Alarm (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 20: What is This Crap? (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 21: Talk to Everyone on the Ship Twice for a Second Time (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 22: "Justice" (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 23: Lowell Stays Behind (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 24: Lowell's Location Remains Unchanged (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 25: ...Justice? (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 26: Truth, Friendship, Treasure (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 26a: Some Light Reading (II)
Episode 27: Maturity (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 28: Just What Exactly is Going On Here? (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 29: Ruining the Mood (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 30: (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 30a: Coop (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 30b: Deathmatch (I) (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 30c: Deathmatch (II) (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Episode 30d: Deathmatch (III) (YouTube)
Episode 31: Finding the Quest (YouTube)
Episode 32: Bar Culture (YouTube)
Episode 33: Well, Well, Well (YouTube)
Episode 34: TURN OFF GATHERING YOU IDIOT (YouTube)
Episode 35: Love Fortune (YouTube)
Episode 36: Not Weird or Creepy At All (YouTube)
Episode 36a: What Happens When We Redo a Dungeon? (YouTube)
Episode 37: Dagran Armour (YouTube)
Episode 38: Making the Wrong Choice (Because the Game Forced Us To). (YouTube)
Episode 39: Quick, Save This Video, Someone! Say Something Funny! (YouTube)
Episode 39a: Some Light Reading (III)
Episode 40: A Weird Dimensional Space Dungeon (YouTube)
Episode 41: "I Hope I Did The Right Thing" (YouTube)
Episode 41a: Some Light Reading (IV)
Episode 42: It's (not) Mermaids (YouTube)
Episode 43: Man Time with Lowell (YouTube)

Indulgences

Wiicording Test, part 1: Wheynbow Road (YouTube)(Dailymotion)
Wiicording Test, part 2: Moon Rabbits (YouTube)(Dailymotion)

FANSTUFF

Suspect Bucket posted:

God (of swords), grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change (or throw Lowell at);
courage to change the things I can (with swords);
and wisdom to know the difference (between what kinds of swords to use).

Red Rover posted:

I, for one, wholeheartledly endorse Pork Lift's love of Mohawk, Japan and Bear. It's just too good to miss!

Anoia posted:

drat it, Syrenne, that's animal abuse.

seaside westside posted:

Really loving this so far!

And please... don't ever stop with the bananas.

Anoia posted:

Pretty Mercenary Zael High Fives the Moon, Which is Also a Banana For Some Reason

Tanyuu posted:

Guys, guys, guys. You've got Jirall all wrong.

He's just really into Zael's look.

alcharagia posted:

So I'm not entirely done marathoning the new LP sensation by our pals Ham Heft and Walter E. Yad yet, but I figured that illiterate barbarians such as myself might need some assistance with experiencing the game's backstory, as much like Zael's back it's very tight and confusing, so I attempted to present it in an easy-to-understand vocal manner.

I hope you enjoy The Last Backstory as much as I'm enjoying this LP, though I hope that at some point in the 10.5 videos I have yet to watch, Zael's butt becomes a bit less distracting.

alcharagia posted:

Did somebody say READING?

alcharagia posted:

You should have known this was coming.

wateyad fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2013 around 16:20

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Oh boy Last Story. I played it a few hours when it came out but haven't gone back since, for some reason. I think I'll just play along with you guys.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

I. Love. This. Game.

You have my undivided attention, sirs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

I have to learn forbidden magic I took an oath to wipe out, stop an invasion of Orcs, rescue the Council of Seven, and on top of all that, I'm stuck with you.

I bought this game almost a year ago, but haven't even cracked the box yet. I really should get around to that before trying to follow this LP.

Air is lava!
Aug 15, 2011

Why is this happening?

I really did not expect this. Looking forward to it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

i like goobbues

I've played a good chunk of this game. I actually like the story, simple as it is, but the gameplay's too bland for me to bother finishing it. At least up to the point I got to, everything was pretty easy and there wasn't really as much tactical depth as you'd expect.

Looking forward to this LP to find out how the story resolves and to see you guys' takes on the game.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Not just the gold standard, the Booster Gold standard.

After hating Xenoblade Chronicles I decided to skip on this game. I hope the game is better than Xenoblade.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

TheJayOfSpade posted:

After hating Xenoblade Chronicles I decided to skip on this game. I hope the game is better than Xenoblade.

Wait, how does this follow? This game and Xenoblade have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

I expect the amusement of listening to English people make fun of the English accents of the voice actors will get me through any rough patches this game may present. Though, to be fair, thus far this actually looks pretty quality in the already mentioned hard-to-place game type kind of way.

Momomo
Dec 25, 2009

This game looks like it plays really bizarrely. Why would you ever need a cover system in an RPG like this? It's also a shame that you're forced to use Zael most of the time, Quark's hair looks way more interesting.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Hang on, did this somehow get an NA release that I am not aware of? Or is this one of those weird EU-only kind of deals?

Paper Lion
Dec 13, 2009

EU only. OH WAIT NO XSEED MADE IT FOR MURIKA

the only way we could get worse audio is if they just phone me up next time they record

pork lift gimme a call next time and we'll have a good time sailors

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

Hang on, did this somehow get an NA release that I am not aware of? Or is this one of those weird EU-only kind of deals?

It came out in NA in August thanks to XSEED. If schedule's would have allowed, I'd have started this thread before then in an effort to drum up some buzz.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Wait, how does this follow? This game and Xenoblade have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

because this is one of "those other two operation rainfall games".

Half the reason we're LPing this is that it didn't really get the exposure it deserved thanks to being overshadowed by the Xenoblade shaped elephant in the room. They are actually pretty much polar opposites in a lot of ways though and I'd rather the comparisons be kept to a minimum because I don't like Xenoblade and kind of want to rant about why but don't think that would be a healthy direction for this thread to take.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Wateyad showed me the first hour-ish of this game last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I'm glad to be able to see the whole thing.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

Hurrgh. I wanna play this game, but I also want to watch this.

People in third world countries have nothing on the tough choices I have to make.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

I'm not sure if Pandora's Tower is the same, but my favourite thing about Nintendo of Europe picking up the operation rainfall games was getting some JRPGs with British accents which is the best thing.

Well according to the OP they both have a Dunban in them, unless that's a typo of Dagran.

Lotish
Dec 10, 2008

I pick up my Devil Axe...
...and DEVIL!

This is one of those games that made me wish I'd invested in a Wii. I'm eager to see more.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

절대 용서하지 않을 것이다

I had no idea this game came out outside of Japan. I'm glad there's an LP of it, though, since I don't have a Wii anyway I'll be looking forward to this!

This looks a lot like the art from Drakengard and its sequel. Did the same character designer from those games do the Last Story, as well?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

melodicwaffle posted:

I had no idea this game came out outside of Japan. I'm glad there's an LP of it, though, since I don't have a Wii anyway I'll be looking forward to this!

This looks a lot like the art from Drakengard and its sequel. Did the same character designer from those games do the Last Story, as well?

Yep, Kimihiko Fujisaka. I was thinking while watching the video that it looked a lot like a less-crappy Drakengard.

I have this game, have had it since it came out, but it's still sitting in its wrapping because, I dunno, I joined the PC master race or something dumb like that. I should really get around to it, this looks really interesting.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

Yup, Kimihiko Fujisaka.

Edit: Welp beaten.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trust us, we're highly trained medical professionals bears.

I really liked this game, but after getting what felt like a third of the way in (if that), I got bogged down with college and other games started coming out and I just haven't found an opportunity to get back into it. Maybe this'll do the trick. I'll be following this LP - Xenoblade didn't get enough hype in its own right, and this poor thing got even less. Glad to see it getting some exposure.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

Pyrovile posted:

I'm not sure if Pandora's Tower is the same, but my favourite thing about Nintendo of Europe picking up the operation rainfall games was getting some JRPGs with British accents which is the best thing.

I don't think Pandora's Tower counts an RPG but yes it's also full of British accents.

quote:

Well according to the OP they both have a Dunban in them, unless that's a typo of Dagran.

and now I hate myself.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

This looks really interesting, and honestly I quite like when the VA's are British or at least not american since it means a little variety.
Ordering party members to destroy scenery for tactical reasons is unfortunately not something that shows up often, does it keep happening throughout the game or does it disappear whenever they run out of budget?

Paper Lion
Dec 13, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I really liked this game, but after getting what felt like a third of the way in (if that), I got bogged down with college and other games started coming out and I just haven't found an opportunity to get back into it. Maybe this'll do the trick. I'll be following this LP - Xenoblade didn't get enough hype in its own right, and this poor thing got even less. Glad to see it getting some exposure.

Not enough hype? More like too much hype. That game is hot garbage.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

Nah.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Hey look it's lovely Gears of War, when Gears of War isn't that good to begin with. When I played this I just got annoyed that you don't use the Wiimote to aim at things (the only good thing about the Wii) and instead nails your feet to the floor and you aim with the movement stick. Even when using the classic controller you don't get to aim with the second stick.

Zael's back is going to be messed up after lifting that stone slab without using his knees.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Paper Lion posted:

Too much hype? More like not enough hype. That game is fantastic.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Highway Traffic
Prediction Razzies

Xenoblade discussion will now potentially lead to probations. Thanks.

Pork Lift fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2013 around 23:29

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Actually, Lucy, my trouble is football. I just don't understand it. Instead of feeling happy, I feel sort of let down.

Go Lions.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I bought this game almost a year ago, but haven't even cracked the box yet. I really should get around to that before trying to follow this LP.

Same here, hopefully the first few updates get me inspired to start the game myself.

E: Oh jeez, I guess that star's not just for decoration

C-Euro fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2013 around 00:52

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

You're saying...
Chawacters in this game...
...can die permanently?!

I approve wholeheartedly of the existence of this LP and hope it continues, if only because this is another of those games that I keep meaning to play but never do because of stuff and also other videogames and I always kinda regret not playing it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

Pork Lift posted:

Xenoblade discussion will now potentially lead to probations. Thanks.

SIR, YOU ARE DRUNK WITH POWER.

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 19, 2012

Actually got done playing through both Operation Rainfall games and now await XSEED releasing Pandora's Tower as well.

One thing I will say I loved about Last Story is that all the characters are pretty chill and down to Earth. Except one but we will get there. Also having Drakengard's artist doing the character designs was a great move.

Alto
Dec 27, 2012

Not A Saxophone

Oh boy Last Story. I played it a few hours when it came out but haven't gone back since, for some reason. I think I'll just play along with you guys.

Mega64 posted:

I've played a good chunk of this game. I actually like the story, simple as it is, but the gameplay's too bland for me to bother finishing it. At least up to the point I got to, everything was pretty easy and there wasn't really as much tactical depth as you'd expect.

Looking forward to this LP to find out how the story resolves and to see you guys' takes on the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm seeing a pattern here. I am still excited to watch the adventure of Qwok and friends.

Lotish
Dec 10, 2008

I pick up my Devil Axe...
...and DEVIL!

I'm fascinated that so many people never quite finished this game or never actually started it. I hope that doesn't bode ill.

I remember really liking this game's art style. The GoW style gameplay also makes me think this game would be a natural for porting to the other consoles, but that's clearly never going to happen because we barely got it in the first place.

Lotish fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2013 around 03:28

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lotish posted:

I'm fascinated that so many people never quite finished this game or never actually started it. I hope that doesn't bode ill.

I remember really liking this game's art style. The GoW style gameplay also makes me think this game would be a natural for porting to the other consoles, but that's clearly never going to happen because we barely got it in the first place.

To be fair, I at least only quit because of outside factors - though I'll admit the gameplay really isn't as compelling as it could be. I was in it mostly for the characters and their relationships.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

I been waiting for a LP of this game, I got the game when it finally came out here in the states but never gotten the time to play it due to work so hopefully this might make me play the game.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through this game. I should finish it.

I have....opinions about this game. I'm not sure if I ultimately like it or not but I should go back and finish it. Also what's this Pandora's Tower thing?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

This game has an "Emerge" command. I'm sold already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I've always wondered if I should pick up this game, but I've always decided against it because of 1) money issues and 2) being a wii game, but If the first video is anything to go on, this is going to be magical

«27 »