Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm at magfest too. The Irish pub down the street isn't bad. Bit pricey though.

e: Harrington.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was there for lunch a few weeks ago. It's like a bistro with a bar. Food was great, at least for lunch. I would go again.

For the life of me I can't remember the name.

I had to drive by to remember, it's Red Oak Bistro.

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004

DARPA Dad posted:

Yeah I tried looking around on Yelp and couldn't find anything. Might end up having to stop in Old Town on the way home, then.

I've heard elevation burger is good. Everything else there is geared towards single visits for convention goers, it's pretty lackluster. I think you're better off in Old Town.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Elevation is a lack luster chain. Hit
Old Town.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Elevation is pretty decent, I think, sort of the east coast version of In n' Out. I still prefer Five Guys if I'm going for a quick burger. But I'd agree -- go to Old Town.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

ZekeNY posted:

I still prefer Five Guys if I'm going for a quick burger.

You haven't found their quality rapidly decreased since they started rapid expansion of franchising?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Tweek posted:

You haven't found their quality rapidly decreased since they started rapid expansion of franchising?

Not at the ones I've gone to. I suppose that you'd need to be careful about the location, though -- shame to hear that they're not keeping the quality up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ZekeNY posted:

Not at the ones I've gone to. I suppose that you'd need to be careful about the location, though -- shame to hear that they're not keeping the quality up.

I haven't had any problems with the places I've visited either. I can't remember a burger I had ten years ago being any better or worse than one I had last week. Thankfully they now offer a small fry size though.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm at magfest too. The Irish pub down the street isn't bad. Bit pricey though.

e: Harrington.

Lucky! I've gone to national harbor several times and every drat time the group insists on going to some terrible chain. I'm just going to have to go there by myself some time to try out the restaurants.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

script kitty posted:

Lucky! I've gone to national harbor several times and every drat time the group insists on going to some terrible chain. I'm just going to have to go there by myself some time to try out the restaurants.

Oh god why? That whole area is a huge tourist/conventioneer trap. Nothing there is super good and driving across the river is going to give you so many better options.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bunnielab posted:

Oh god why? That whole area is a huge tourist/conventioneer trap. Nothing there is super good and driving across the river is going to give you so many better options.

Yeah, relative to Alexandria there wasn't really anything in NH that impressed me.

Also I would love recommendations for Alexandria.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Old Town is swamped with decent to excellent restaurants. What are you looking for?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wachepti posted:

Old Town is swamped with decent to excellent restaurants. What are you looking for?

Just general recommendations for when I'm in the mood to travel for good food. I took my wife on a date at Le Refuge which was great. I'm particularly interested in finding a decent Indian place since there isn't one in southern MD.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I love Le Refuge.

As for Indian- I've consistently been impressed with Dishes of India, just south of Old Town, off the GW Parkway, in a strip mall. Not fine dining, by any stretch of the imagination(and probably only semi-authentic, I dunno), but I've never had bad food there.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

bunnielab posted:

Oh, I didn't know all the places in that spot were crap. I never really had the chance to look around. I just figured there had to be something better than the chains and whatnot that were in front of us if we just looked around a bit. Whoops!

I know Alexandria has tons of awesome restaurants and shops. I love that area. Gotta convince my mom to come shopping and dining there in that case :3:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just general recommendations for when I'm in the mood to travel for good food. I took my wife on a date at Le Refuge which was great. I'm particularly interested in finding a decent Indian place since there isn't one in southern MD.

I've literally only ever been to one Indian restaurant in my entire life (I think it's cause it's the only one in SoMD..?) and it's called Bollywood Masala. Now, I had never had Indian food before so I don't know at all how to scale the authenticity, but each time I have eaten there the food was very interesting and tasty. The younger chef is really friendly and accommodating, too.

script kitty fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 7, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I don't do Old town like I used to but: Vermilion, Bistrot Lafayette, Sushi Ichiban, Bilbo Baggins

I've never made it to Brabo but I'd like to. Virtue didn't really live up to my expectations (which were basically the Green Pig). I'll stop in Pizzeria Paradiso for beer but not so much for food. The Grille At Morrison House is quite nice for your $$$$, Quattro Formaggi is greasy as gently caress pizza in the best way, and there are a number of good coffee shops and/or delis.

Also, just on the north side of Washington Pkwy for Old Town is the newest location of Haute Dogs. I'm somewhat addicted to this place partially for the price. TJ Stone's next door is also a decent sports pub with really cheap happy hour food.

e: gently caress, forgot Caphe Bahn Mi. It's the only legit bahn mi I've found, and their Pho is on par with Minh's if not better.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 8, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

script kitty posted:

I've literally only ever been to one Indian restaurant in my entire life (I think it's cause it's the only one in SoMD..?) and it's called Bollywood Masala. Now, I had never had Indian food before so I don't know at all how to scale the authenticity, but each time I have eaten there the food was very interesting and tasty. The younger chef is really friendly and accommodating, too.

I got all excited then I realized it was in California, MD. I'd have to drive just as far to get there as I would to get to Alexandria or Dahlgren.

Waldorf sucks. :(

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

As for Indian- I've consistently been impressed with Dishes of India, just south of Old Town, off the GW Parkway, in a strip mall. Not fine dining, by any stretch of the imagination(and probably only semi-authentic, I dunno), but I've never had bad food there.

I really like this place. It's not fancy but the food is delicious. In Old Town I like The Majestic for American comfort food with effort put into it, Caphe Banh Mi is a neat little casual Vietnamese place, and the Fish Market has been around forever and has gone through some ups and downs but it's pretty solid at the moment(try the spiced shrimp app). All of the pizza and thai places are really overpriced for what they sell IMO.

Ultimate date spot is and probably always will be Restaurant Eve($$$$).

edit: oh thinking of Dishes of India just reminded me a Super Serious bakery just opened next door called Bread + Water and their baguettes are the best I've had in NoVa

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 7, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I got all excited then I realized it was in California, MD. I'd have to drive just as far to get there as I would to get to Alexandria or Dahlgren.

Waldorf sucks. :(

Hey, you guys have a decent bbq place from what I remember.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

bunnielab posted:

I'm interested in this. I end up in Waldorf once or twice a year and I wouldn't mind coming back with more than cheap booze. I think I saw a tempting Texas BBQ place once?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bunnielab posted:

Several. I'm assuming you mean Lefty's?

ChickenArise posted:

I'm interested in this. I end up in Waldorf once or twice a year and I wouldn't mind coming back with more than cheap booze. I think I saw a tempting Texas BBQ place once?

I haven't tried Texas Ribs yet, if the one you're thinking of is by the Safeway. I also need to try B&J carryout off of 210.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Wachepti posted:

edit: oh thinking of Dishes of India just reminded me a Super Serious bakery just opened next door called Bread + Water and their baguettes are the best I've had in NoVa

Yeah, I saw that last time I hit Unwined for Christmas dinner wine (and Eagle and Empire for nerd things). That storefront was Brenner's Bakery when I was a kid. I have fond memories of their cupcakes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Several. I'm assuming you mean Lefty's?

I haven't tried Texas Ribs yet, if the one you're thinking of is by the Safeway. I also need to try B&J carryout off of 210.

I think it was Lefty's, it was in a shopping center, like down a hill from the main road? In any case I would love some bbq recommendations, I am in Davidsonville and we have gently caress all here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bunnielab posted:

I think it was Lefty's, it was in a shopping center, like down a hill from the main road? In any case I would love some bbq recommendations, I am in Davidsonville and we have gently caress all here.

Well if you're going south on 301 Lefty's will be on the left in a shopping center with a Chinese buffet right after the road for Old Branch Ave comes off. Further south if you make a left on 5 and a right on St. Charles Parkway you'll pass by Texas Ribs on the left in the shopping center with a safeway.

There are three barbecue places down 210. First is B&J carryout on the right at the intersection of 210 and Livingston road. Further south is two barbecue joints near Indian Head. The first is George's, the second is Dale's. Both are pretty decent.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah, I saw that last time I hit Unwined for Christmas dinner wine (and Eagle and Empire for nerd things). That storefront was Brenner's Bakery when I was a kid. I have fond memories of their cupcakes.

SUP Ft Hunt goon, I grew up just off Ft Hunt Road.

I can confirm Dishes of India is solid. I also have fond memories of Brenners as a kid. Unwined also has very good baguette on Wed thru Sat, as well as swings Coffee by the lb.

In Old Town I used to hit up Momo Sushi a lot, next door to Bilbo Baggins. My wife and I had our first date there in fact.

Majestic is great date food. Caphe Bahn Mi is also very good, and reasonable.

Farther out in the hinterlands, off Rt 7 is Indaroma, also in a strip mall. Fantastic Indian and Desserts.

Enat is my go to Ethiopian restaurant, near Landmark just off Duke St.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Five guys quality - depends on the store.

Fair lakes: pretty bad
Cascades: very good so far (new store, trainers may still be there)
Chantilly: pretty bad
Ashburn: meh

Haven't been to any others recently. Melt in Leesburg is better than five guys. Haven't been to Elevation but yelp didn't like it much.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Elevation and Five Guys are both crappy chains. If I want a cheap, quick burger I go to Smashburger. I know there's one in Fairfax, Falls Church, and Vienna as well as Dupont Circle. Dunno about Maryland. It's a chain too, but I think it's better than the previously mentioned burger places.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Trip Report: BJ's Takeout in Accokeek off of 210 right before 228 is loving awesome. Great pork barbecue.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Trip Report: BJ's Takeout in Accokeek off of 210 right before 228 is loving awesome. Great pork barbecue.

My mother and I would stop by there on our trips to Point Lookout. I never thought of it as a place to go to for the actual food though. Glad to hear they're still in business.

God I can smell the inside of that shack just typing this out. Old mustard right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bunk Rogers posted:

My mother and I would stop by there on our trips to Point Lookout. I never thought of it as a place to go to for the actual food though. Glad to hear they're still in business.

God I can smell the inside of that shack just typing this out. Old mustard right?

All I could smell was delicious, delicious fried food. I mean it's a hole in the wall, and the onion rings were sub par at best, but the barbecue was great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just got back from Dishes of India. Definitely worth the trip.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The wife and I get take out there about once a month. The lunch buffet is solid too. If you can believe it, in 2003 hurricane Isabel flooded that place to the ceiling. A friend of mine was the one to pump it out.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

canuckanese posted:

Elevation and Five Guys are both crappy chains. If I want a cheap, quick burger I go to Smashburger. I know there's one in Fairfax, Falls Church, and Vienna as well as Dupont Circle. Dunno about Maryland. It's a chain too, but I think it's better than the previously mentioned burger places.

I'm not a fan of the ultra-thin patty they do at Smashburger, but the sweet potato fries are fantastic and they have good chicken sandwiches. I haven't gone to one since I got back from overseas, though - my coworkers dragged me to Smashburger over there about four times a week.

I like BGR, but I don't know of any locations other than Sterling. Their lamb burger is amazing.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Poor grad student here looking for suggestions to take his girlfriend to this weekend. I'm not going to deal with the madness of dining and reservations on Valentine's Day itself, we're just going to cook and eat in, but I thought I'd like to take her out for brunch or lunch on Saturday and was wondering if there are any kind of unique places for it. Any food type works, we're both adventurous eaters, and if nothing else we'll probably just walk over to Ted's Bulletin or something, but I thought I'd ask if there were any suggestions. I live kind of at the midpoint of Dupont, Adams Morgan and the U street area, though metro-accessible locations would be fine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CronoGamer posted:

Poor grad student here looking for suggestions to take his girlfriend to this weekend. I'm not going to deal with the madness of dining and reservations on Valentine's Day itself, we're just going to cook and eat in, but I thought I'd like to take her out for brunch or lunch on Saturday and was wondering if there are any kind of unique places for it. Any food type works, we're both adventurous eaters, and if nothing else we'll probably just walk over to Ted's Bulletin or something, but I thought I'd ask if there were any suggestions. I live kind of at the midpoint of Dupont, Adams Morgan and the U street area, though metro-accessible locations would be fine.

If you like sushi, give the happy hour at Tono Sushi a shot. The quality was good and the prices were affordable.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

CronoGamer posted:

Poor grad student here looking for suggestions to take his girlfriend to this weekend.

I recommend Petworth Citizen a few blocks from the Georgia Avenue metro stop. Great little out-of-the-way place with a very talented Chef.

Here's their brunch menu.

The GRILLED STEAK CUT BACON is delicious with how the sweetly-sour tomato sauce places with and off of the richness of the avocado and creaminess of the egg yolk. The bacon however, while delicious, does not fall under my personal definition of "steak-cut". I think of steak-cut as 3/4" minimum and this is more 1/4".

I have yet to try it, but a good friend of mine won't shut up about how good the CHICKEN & WAFFLE is, either.

Still, everything is fantastic, their drink list is amazing and their coffee is cold-brewed. The atmosphere is perfectly charming and the staff is the friendliest you will find.

My best friend is the bar manager. Red head. This woman knows her loving way around a libation, so if she recommends a cocktail make drat sure you order it. If you see her (it's a small space, so you will) tell her Tweek sent you and that she says 'hi'.

There are booths, but I recommend you sit at the bar.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wisemiller's Deli in Georgetown has the supremest wraps. I have had literal dreams about the Chicken Madness and the Martha's Wrap.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Burger Madness is a widely unknown but strong challenger to the Chicken Madness in my book. I spent four years there and I don't think I ever bothered ordering something besides Chicken or Burger Madnesses.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Tweek posted:

My best friend is the bar manager.

Does she concoct the punch of the day? It's always so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Does she concoct the punch of the day? It's always so good.

She makes it on the days she's there. It's generally made by whoever gets there at 4 o'clock, but all the people who work under her are all very talented and she encourages them to be creative.

While we're on the subject, have you tried their Smoked Old Fashioned? They set a God-damned plank of ceder on fire and invert your glass over it, getting all that smoky goodness up inside there. Then they add Old Overholt Rye, Fee Brother’s Old Fashioned Bitters, and simple syrup.

From the whiskey thread:

Admin Understudy posted:

I actually liked the Old Overholt ... very light and had that citrus note I guess I'm supposed to notice between rye and bourbon.

All around decent mid-range ingredients that don't risk over-powering the ceder smoke. I don't know how familiar you are with the way citrus notes play with and off of smoke, but it's quite well, as you can imagine.

Another friend of mine (who exclusively orders Manhattans and Old Fashions at bars) Won't stop raving about this particular cocktail, so I can highly recommend it. Besides, loving FIRE!

I mean, I would personally be more likely to order the Jack Rose (Laird’s apple brandy, lime juice, grenadine), but then I'm a little fruit like that. ;-*

• Locked thread