Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ChickenArise posted:

I like Thai Tada, but I might prefer Chao Phra Ya on the other side of the toll road in the Clocktower shopping center. Drunken Noodle Duck there is so good that I can rarely get anything else.

e: gently caress I love Eatbar. :( :( :(
Wow, really? I never tried that place but I've seen it a million times, I'll have to give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

going to minibar tonight!!!

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
My favorite Thai is still Bangkok 54 on Columbia Pike

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

going to minibar tonight!!!

Please write back about your experiences. A group of us just went to per se in NYC and as a result probably won't go to minibar before the year is out but I would love to see how some things compare.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hed posted:

Please write back about your experiences. A group of us just went to per se in NYC and as a result probably won't go to minibar before the year is out but I would love to see how some things compare.

I'll write a post about it tomorrow when I'm not in a hyperglycemic food coma.

It was sooooooo much fun.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
So, I've been going to this little Italian place called Osteria Marzano for the past year and a half or so and every time I'm in there, it's me (and my guests) and like 5 other people. It is the best drat Italian restaurant I've eaten at in the DC area (I've eaten at quite a few) but it's hidden out of the way around the Springfield area in some office complex on Walker Lane so I don't think they get many customers. Although I always see the same few faces eating there so I guess they have a loyal clientele. Either way they're great. When family is coming out of town, I take them here. Their decor is very modern and cozy and they have a killer bar with truffle ravioli, arancini and seriously awesome cocktails.

They don't have the upscale wow factor of, say, Fiola Mare but they're hugely consistent and succeed at what they do.

My favorite thing on the menu is the penne vodka, which is what it sounds like but their version adds copious amounts of sliced smoked salmon into the sauce. It sounded like the saltiest thing in the world but our waiter recommended it and I could (and have) order it again and again.

Also for dessert, they serve pizza with nutella on it, topped with pistachios and marshmallows. This is important.

And no I don't work there.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 13, 2014

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Minibar was amazing. Probably the most fun meal I have ever experienced. Here's the menu and the wine list:

The evening started in "the living room" which was a lounge area with couches separated from the main dining room by a translucent curtain. We had some nice cava and were served "pressed flowers" presented in the title page of old books about plants. The quotation marks aren't really appropriate because the dish was literally flowers pressed into a transparent sweet paper. Wonderful delicate flavor and a great way to begin the experience.

Once the other party in our seating arrived (they were late- no flowers for them!) we were ushered into the main dining area, a 12-seat bar around an open kitchen. The first course was a cocktail- a pisco sorbet topped with a warm foam. The next three courses were all small bites, eaten with the hands. The pizza margarita stood out- it consisted of a parmesan wafer with roasted (?) tomato and fresh mozz- basically the distilled essence of pizza is the only way I can explain it.

The rubber ducky was a highlight- it was made of apple meringue and filled with foie gras ice cream. The visual humor and the contrast between the sweetness of the apple and the richness of the foie were delightful.

The next three dishes were all riffs on street food. Again, all eaten with the hands. The late night chicken shawarma was everything shawarma could aspire to be, rolled up in a transparent wrapper and served with a whipped yogurt sauce which we were encouraged to lick off the plate. The burger was a bun made from almond meringue, filled with waygu tartare and uni. Unbelievably rich. The Vietnamese pig ear was fantastic. I am running out of food adjectives at this point so just take my word that it was all incredibly awesome.

A word about the wine pairings- we had Jose's pairings, the spendier option for wine, and it was well worth it. These were, hands down, the best wine and food pairings I have ever experienced. Each wine brought out new flavors in the food and vice versa. I'm sure the regular wine pairings were great, but what we had was truly amazing.

At this point in the dinner, it was time for utensils. We were surprised and a bit delighted to notice that they had sussed out that two in our party were left handed, as their spoons were placed accordingly.

The pesto filled fusilli was a treat- the chef who plated it took great pride in explaining how it was made using corkscrews, liquid nitrogen and a syringe full of pesto.

The Iberico tendon was actually a super-thick connsume that looked like a tendon. "unctuous" does not begin to describe this dish.

The Espardenyes (sea cucumber) with bone marrow was their take on surf and turf. So much butter. So delicious. Perfectly seasoned.

The beech mushroom papillot with truffle was a little disappointing, comparatively. It was fantastic, it was tasty, it was cooked perfectly, but it was kind of a one-note dish. I'm not complaining- truffles are a great one note- but it wasn't up to the standard set by the rest of the menu.

The lamb shoulder with dill was a bit of a departure for minibar, we were told, as they generally don't go for "hunks of meat" but it was one of the high points of the meal. It was absolutely falling apart and the whey was just the perfect accompaniment.

The "cheese course" was one perfect bite of cheese puff.

(I cannot remember for the life of me what "first frost" was. Forgive me, there was a lot of wine...)

Breakfast in Hokkaido was a frozen block of foamed milk and crispy rice. You'll just have to trust me on this one- it was good.

We then moved to the bar for the petit fours, which was honestly a little disconcerting because it was fairly loud. The highlight of the petit fours was the ice cream donut. It consisted of an ice cream that tasted exactly like a krispy creme donut (only better) covered in a chocolate shell with sprinkles. Mr. W was full by that point so I ate his too. :-)

The check was served in a Simpsons matryoshka doll, of course.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

DARPA Dad posted:

So, I've been going to this little Italian place called Osteria Marzano for the past year and a half or so and every time I'm in there, it's me (and my guests) and like 5 other people. It is the best drat Italian restaurant I've eaten at in the DC area (I've eaten at quite a few) but it's hidden out of the way around the Springfield area in some office complex on Walker Lane so I don't think they get many customers. Although I always see the same few faces eating there so I guess they have a loyal clientele. Either way they're great. When family is coming out of town, I take them here. Their decor is very modern and cozy and they have a killer bar with truffle ravioli, arancini and seriously awesome cocktails.

They don't have the upscale wow factor of, say, Fiola Mare but they're hugely consistent and succeed at what they do.

My favorite thing on the menu is the penne vodka, which is what it sounds like but their version adds copious amounts of sliced smoked salmon into the sauce. It sounded like the saltiest thing in the world but our waiter recommended it and I could (and have) order it again and again.

Also for dessert, they serve pizza with nutella on it, topped with pistachios and marshmallows. This is important.

And no I don't work there.
Yeah, Osteria Marzano is a fantastic gem of a restaurant in Springfield. They serve some of the best, if not the best, pizza I've ever had. Everyone I've taken there has loved the food that they've ordered. I've been there a few nights and it's been packed, so I think they're doing all right. I'd certainly be disappointed if they weren't due to the quality and consistency of the food they put out.

The same office complex also has a contemporary American restaurant, Walker's Grille, that's been open since before Osteria Marzano. I've experienced some consistency issues with their food in the past, but altogether it's a decent place to eat in the area as well.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Ate at Rose's Luxury a couple of weeks ago; a friend had booked the roof terrace and invited us to join them. I'm stealing the details of what we ate from my better half's Ello* stream:

quote:

COCKTAIL SNACKS

Grilled Gulf shrimp with cocktail sauce
Tomato finger sandwiches
Raw cauliflower florets with chive mayonnaise
STARTERS

Mini challah loaves with black sesame seed-crusted butter and raw honey
Pork sausage and lychee with habaneros, peanuts, and coconut foam
Caramelized cauliflower florets with goats-milk yogurt and sultanas
Mexican grilled corn salad with guajillo, lime, and cilantro
Watermelon salad with dried black olive, black olive oil, and watermelon radish
Popcorn soup with grilled lobster
ENTREES

Rigatoni with melted heirloom tomatoes and fried basil
Grilled prime rib with whole roasted potatoes
Garden green salad with Parmesan flakes
CHEESE

Smoked mascarpone with granita and brown sugar crumble
DESSERTS

Macerated raspberries with cocoa-cayenne meringue
Spring pea sponge cake with pea shoots and edible flowers
Chocolate crema spoons with sea salt and orange peel
We were sent home with to-go bags containing their famous smoked brisket, horseradish cream, and red cabbage slaw sandwiches, along with a Capri Sun juice pouch and a bag of Utz chips.

As I'm not a lactose-tolerant mutant I had some slightly different dishes to everyone else but I can't quite remember what they were now. I was less enamored with the food than my wife, particularly since it came to ~$200/person with wine. The tomato sandwich and chive aioli were probably the best things, along with the pork/lychee dish and the brisket sandwich; the rest of it was OK but didn't really scream "America's best new restaurant." Not that it was bad, but I don't think I'd stand in line for three hours for a table.

*No, Ello is still not going to become a thing.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Going to DC for the weekend and being working poor only have about $500 to spend on food for two Friday-Sunday. Any recommendations for mid-range dining, specifically dinner and brunch? i can get down with some weird poo poo

my girlfriend spent some time in the area and wants to go somewhere called rocketbar

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Rocketbar is just a normal bar in Chinatown with pool tables, bar games, and some arcade machines.

If you like Chinese food, I highly reccomend Great Wall of Szechuan. But only order off the Ma La Menu page.
Ma La is Szechuan style, has a little spice to it and causes some interesting numbness in the lips. It's really delicious though.

I recommend the MaPo Tofu, Twice Cooked Pork, Ma La Wontons, Ma La Cold Noodles, Kung Pao Chicken, and Boiled Fish with Vegetables.
Price isn't too bad unlike the rest of 14th St.

http://greatwallszechuanhouse.com/

DCcity Smokehouse for BBQ. It's over on Florida and N Capitol. But maybe out of the way for you.

http://dcitysmokehouse.com/

If you want to splurge one night I'd go with Little Serrow. It's a $45 per person tasting menu with some great Northern Thai food.
You'll have to get in line around 4 pm probably to get a table. It's all first come first serve for reservations the day of.

http://littleserow.com/

If you're in town early enough on Friday (5 - 7 pm) you can go to Black Jack on 14th St and take advantage of their happy hour.
Half priced drafts (~ $3-4 for good beer), 1 pound of mussels for price of 1/2 pound, 12 oysters for price of 6, and half price pizzas.

http://www.blackjackdc.com/

What part of town are you staying in?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
DCity is awesome, can't recommend them enough. Union Market could be worth a visit, John Romero, since there's a lot of different vendors there and most of them are not expensive (we are huge fans of Neopol Smokery).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Went to Crane and Turtle in Petworth last night. Think Japanese food but with lots and lots of butter. Stand-out dishes were a tempura matsutake and the chocolate cake with salted caramel (probably the best dessert I've eaten at a restaurant in years). The tables are a bit too close to each other, and service could have been a little more attentive at times, but worth a visit IMO, and not particularly expensive ($100/person for four courses, including wine).

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Went to Crane and Turtle in Petworth last night. Think Japanese food but with lots and lots of butter. Stand-out dishes were a tempura matsutake and the chocolate cake with salted caramel (probably the best dessert I've eaten at a restaurant in years). The tables are a bit too close to each other, and service could have been a little more attentive at times, but worth a visit IMO, and not particularly expensive ($100/person for four courses, including wine).

Went there (accidentally) tonight, for booze and appetizers before hitting up Domku. Good stuff. The soup was incredible!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Going to Rogue 24 for our anniversary tomorrow night. Will provide a trip report on thursday.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

drgitlin posted:

The cake was pretty good and we sat at the counter so it was fun to see the cooks work. My gf was really into the roasted butternut squash but didn't care for her main that much (the vegetarian dish). I personally found the food a bit plain except for the bits of wasabi or chorizo.

I found my copy of my Minibar menu from last year and thought it would be fun to see the differences between the menu Wroughtirony posted. I remember the couple next to us was especially fun to watch since the lady wouldn't eat anything and guy was all positive about the food and really into the experience. Poor guy. Sorry for the lovely picture.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Rogue 24 was interesting. Some courses were better than others, and unlike Komi there wasn't an overabundance of food, despite being 24 courses (I wasn't hungry when we left, I think RJ Cooper judged things pretty well).

The menu:

Tomato ice with caviar (really good)
A ball of deyhdrated milk on a coriander soup
Celeriac with roe (also very good)
Dehydrated scallops 
Oatmeal with venison and blueberry
Smoked cucumber with some dried seafood something in a broth (one of the highlights)
Octopus with orange and olive oil
Black rice, trout roe, baby turnip, turnip greens 
Goat tartare, heirloom pumpkin, lime purée, zatar, leaves (very nice)
Beer meringues with creme fraiche and roe
Foie gras with other cold things 
Veal tendon aspic with lentils in mascarpone 
Escargot with potato spuma (pretty awesome)
Smoked pasta with goat cheese
Grilled squab over heirloom pumpkin purée 
Truffles, pickled mushrooms, Black Sea salt
Wagyu beef green onions romesco 
Coconut gelee, basil powder, some kind of macaron, ice cream
Caramel gelee, figs, coffee cake thing, caramel crunches 

May have left a course out, my wife was making notes on her phone but it's possible we missed one. It was an enjoyable night out, and the open plan kitchen in the middle of the dining room is great.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I sat at the Rogue 24 bar a few weeks ago and was very underwhelmed by both the food and the drinks. The sous vide egg was nearly inedible.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I enjoyed it, but feels way more expensive than it needs to be. It didn't feel up to par for similarly priced restaurants.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Did the tasting menu at Fishnet in Shaw this evening (Fishnook). At $55/person it was an absolute steal; there wasn't a bad course and the chef was both a cool bloke and interested in feedback. Heartily recommend it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Where should I eat in Crystal City?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Wroughtirony posted:

Where should I eat in Crystal City?

Kabob Palace, Jaleo, La Betolla, or one of the Ethiopian places

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

Kabob Palace, Jaleo, La Betolla, or one of the Ethiopian places

Other than Jaleo- (we've been before) would any of those be appropriate for a long sit-down business dinner? I've heard awesome things about kabob palace but I'm not sure of the ambience.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

You could probably sit there for a while without being bothered, although it has some interesting decor.

edit: Also you order your food from the counter and get it all at once, so it would certainly be an unconventional business dinner.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 9, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Wroughtirony posted:

Other than Jaleo- (we've been before) would any of those be appropriate for a long sit-down business dinner? I've heard awesome things about kabob palace but I'm not sure of the ambience.

I'd probably avoid Kabob Palace for that, but it's not especially ugly/tacky vs. everywhere else I eat. I haven't been inside La Bettola in ages since I discovered that I can get it delivered, but it's gone through a few rounds of nice <-> cheesy decor. Ethiopian could probably pass for nice enough, but I'm not sure I'd do that in work clothes.

SOCCi might be worth looking at: http://www.marriott.com/hotel-restaurants/waspy-renaissance-arlington-capital-view-hotel/socci/5178631/home-page.mi but I haven't been yet. Yelp seems to rate it passably.

Depending on what sort of business you could always take the default rec of CCR. :getin:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ChickenArise posted:

Depending on what sort of business you could always take the default rec of CCR. :getin:

Ah, fond/gross memories of my first legal drink at age 21.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Oh it's the dirtiest kind of business... family business.

Less-estranged-than-usual Patriarch is in town to say hi and discuss estate planning with my husband, his Only Son. Traditionally, he stays somewhere more central and lets me choose the restaurant because I'm good at finding the right places. It's great for me, since he picks up the check and price is no object. Back in the happier days he really liked to indulge me with tasting menus, etc. because he would get to try new things too. We did quite a few dinners just him and I when my husband was working, but mostly it was either the three or four of us, depending on if Matriarch was traveling with him. Things got really bad for awhile, a year of no contact between Patriarch/Matriarch and my husband and I, but relations are steadily thawing.

So for this trip, he's flying in alone and staying at the Marriott. I feel like eating at Socci would be cheating since I'm supposed to be the Restaurant Whispererer.

I'm leaning towards offering a repeat at Jaleo or a cab journey to Fyve at the Ritz. Any other "within a short cab ride" places I should consider that a. serve booze, b. have loungey seating good for longer converstations and c. have food that is amazing but not extremely spicy?

Please tell me that there's a completely unknown amazing french 16-seat bistro right around the corner from the Mariott...

UPDATE: Apparently Patriarch realizes that CC is a semi-desert and is willing to travel. All of DC is now at my beck and call! WOO!

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 9, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That's more like it :toot:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I was going to say Crystal City Restaurant for dinner... and a show.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

:lol: :bigtran:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm in dc from 19-23 this month. I've a car. My favorite things are coffee and being a hipster. I'm looking for some cool lunches and dinners as well as coffee shop suggestions.

I've already 2 seats at mini bar so that should cover my ludicrous tasting menu needs, but feel free to suggest others.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 12, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I think Northside Social in Arlington requires you to sit behind a Macbook if you want to sit somewhere. Oby Lee is pretty good coffee nearby, also, but it's more of a normal cafe than hipster central. I'm also a fan of Misha's in Old Town Alexandria, and there's plenty of cool stuff down there within walking distance if you want to spend some time in a nice pedestrian area.

H St. NE (Atlas District) is also fairly hipster-heavy.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sextro posted:

My favorite things are coffee and being a hipster.

The Coffee Bar

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Sextro posted:

I'm in dc from 19-23 this month. I've a car. My favorite things are coffee and being a hipster. I'm looking for some cool lunches and dinners as well as coffee shop suggestions.

I've already 2 seats at mini bar so that should cover my ludicrous tasting menu needs, but feel free to suggest others.

I'm a big fan of Qualia Coffee if you find yourself over that way.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Big Bear Cafe in Bloomingdale
Peregrine Espresso in Union Market (I think they have another location too).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ok so my definite coffee list is slipstream, big bear, peregrine and qualia. Coffee bar is a probable. Any other coffee would be spontaneous. Now for lunch ideas.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Mockingbird hill serves the best coffee (not espresso) in DC period.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Sextro posted:

If you get the itch to drive into the Maryland suburbs, there is a new coffee & record shop that just opened in Silver Spring called Bump'n'Grind. I don't know coffee at all, and when I popped in for the soft opening I bought a beer and a record.

And if you decide to get dinner in Silver Spring, I like The Classics (no frills steakhouse that used to be part of the local Ray's group of restaurants), Jackie's (been a while though, haven't been since the new chef started), and Quarry House for bar food and good beers. There are some other places in the area to check out too, quick-ish: Pete's Apizza and Nando's, Seoul Food, Ren's Ramen, and El Pollo Rico further north in Wheaton.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So I ate at Thip Khao in Columbia Heights last week - it was amazing. It's Laotian food by the woman who runs Golden Bangkok out in the burbs. Definitely worth a visit, but you have to call between 12-4 on a weekday to get an English speaker to make a reservation. :what:

The food's meant to be served family style, so you do better taking a lot of people. The best thing we had was laab (Lao take on larb, the minced meat salad you may know from Thai places) and the crispy rice. The eggplant curry and kaing som sour soup were excellent too. Every person gets a little container of sticky rice, and the menu has instructions on how to eat your meal with your hands + rice balls. There's also a "from the jungle" menu that includes things like pig's ear, intestines, blood sausage, and weird fish, but since we were there with my in-laws we couldn't be too adventurous. Everything was actually spicy as requested, not spicy for white people. We did medium spice on everything - not sure we could have handled much more.

I'm definitely looking forward to going back - service was friendly and very quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

the_chavi posted:

So I ate at Thip Khao in Columbia Heights last week - it was amazing. It's Laotian food by the woman who runs Golden Bangkok out in the burbs. Definitely worth a visit, but you have to call between 12-4 on a weekday to get an English speaker to make a reservation. :what:

The food's meant to be served family style, so you do better taking a lot of people. The best thing we had was laab (Lao take on larb, the minced meat salad you may know from Thai places) and the crispy rice. The eggplant curry and kaing som sour soup were excellent too. Every person gets a little container of sticky rice, and the menu has instructions on how to eat your meal with your hands + rice balls. There's also a "from the jungle" menu that includes things like pig's ear, intestines, blood sausage, and weird fish, but since we were there with my in-laws we couldn't be too adventurous. Everything was actually spicy as requested, not spicy for white people. We did medium spice on everything - not sure we could have handled much more.

I'm definitely looking forward to going back - service was friendly and very quick.

Thanks for this! I've seen it mentioned a few times and been really curious to try it out. Will have to make sure we go with a group then. Were prices about what you'd expect?

• Locked thread