Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
Places I tried this weekend that are worth adding to my rotation:

Aa'bee Persian/Mediterranean Restaurant in Fairfax - Pretty good kabobs, the kubideh was spiced but not overly oniony. They deliver, and they're fast.
Bebop Korean Mexican Grill - This is next to the H Mart in Fairfax. I never went in, because I wasn't sure about it, but it's great. Basically a fresh Mex/Chipotle style operation, but you can choose galbi or bossam as your meats. I got a galbi burrito bowl and it was probably the most tender I've ever tasted. Put lettuce, rice, corn and gochujang salsa on there, what's not to love?
Mandu Factory - This is actually just the dumpling counter inside H Mart that I had always passed but never tried. I liked them a lot, both the dumplings and the bao buns which I instinctively expect to be filled with Chinese roast pork, but the beef and pork mandu filling is great too. The kimchi filled ones are okay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I enjoy Israeli / Jordanian style falafel (green falafel, no bulgur wheat, no fava beans). I try to go to as many places as possible that prepare the falafel fresh on premises. Frozen or packaged falafel? gently caress that. Fry the falafel early in the day and let it sit under heat lamp? See gently caress that.

Top three falafel locations in the DMV per grellgraxer:

1. Max's Kosher Cafe (Silver Spring)
2. Amsterdam Falafel (multiple locations, now including Boston)
3. Zaytinya (#3 used to be held by Old City in Adams Morgan which apparently closed)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I went to DGS Delicatessen last weekend when I found GBD to be closed and I needed something quick. Good stuff! The prices are not bad, either. We had latke's with lox and sour cream as well as the chopped liver with chicken cracklins. I'll probably go back some time.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ChickenArise posted:

The toasted marshmallow shake is very good.

this

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tom stuck it to Founding Farmers pretty good, today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2299_story.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

glynnenstein posted:

Tom stuck it to Founding Farmers pretty good, today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2299_story.html

Good, they've earned it. God, Tom Sietsema is the best.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 8, 2016

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Please. They're not even that bad. Sure I would never recommend the place to anyone but mostly because of the crowds. The food is "fine" but not as atrocious as he paints it. 0 stars? Dude is just flying high off his James Beard award and looking to cause some commotion.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

His exaggeration about how bad FF is, is almost as bad as everyone's exaggeration of how good it is

from the D.C. thread is 100% accurate.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I want to eat a big dumb steak for my birthday.

Is BLT Steak still pretty great? I've never been.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Lewnes steakhouse in Eastport is the best place I have ever been to, but the drive is kinda absurd if you are not local.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

bongwizzard posted:

Lewnes steakhouse in Eastport is the best place I have ever been to, but the drive is kinda absurd if you are not local.

This is true. That said, Annapolis has it's appeal for birthdays, special weekends away, general drunkenness, etc.

Ray's The Steaks used to be my default Metro accessible steak place. Haven't been in years, but still seems to be pretty decently regarded.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wachepti posted:

They're not even that bad.

Not words I would use to describe a LEED gold certified restaurant.

Place is all hype. I'd rather eat at Busboys & Poets.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Place is all hype. I'd rather eat at Busboys & Poets.

:barf:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

This is true. That said, Annapolis has it's appeal for birthdays, special weekends away, general drunkenness, etc.

Ray's The Steaks used to be my default Metro accessible steak place. Haven't been in years, but still seems to be pretty decently regarded.
Used to live in Annapolis and I've had many a birthday steak at Lewnes, it rules. Staying Arlington/DC for this one though.

Ray's is a shell of it's former shelf unfortunately.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My boyfriend and I have been eating a lot of Ethiopian lately (he's gluten free vegetarian, so their menus he has a lot to choose from, since some restaurants have slim pickings for him)

Addis on H street is good and there's a little place called Sora's out in Alexandria that's really good.

And chiming in on pho chat, Pho Factory is pretty legit, also in Alexandria. They have boba smoothies to boot!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend and I have been eating a lot of Ethiopian lately (he's gluten free vegetarian, so their menus he has a lot to choose from, since some restaurants have slim pickings for him)

Can't remember if I've recc'd before, but Zenebech on Florida and T NW is fantastic. No frills, prices are insanely low, and I just love the place. Go there while you can... supposed to get condo'd in the next six months.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my girlfriend wants to try a "world tour" of different restaurants/cuisines and somehow settled on Moroccan as stop #1. I've been looking around on yelp and what not but wanted to see if any of you have any experience with Moroccan restaurants in the DC area. more authentic is better.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
No suggestions for Moroccan, but go to Moby Dick's when you get to Persia.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I'm always kind of surprised that people recommend Moby Dick, there's a number of better kabob places in the area. Moby Dick isn't bad or anything but they're not really notable imho

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've always found that the McLean Moby Dick is the best of their locations but a Iranian friend told me he swears by Amoo's in that area. My exposure to Persian is super limited so I don't have a good perspective and both seem pretty good to me.

For Moroccan, I have had Mazagan recommended. http://www.mazaganrestaurant.com/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
The best thing at Moby Dick is the lamb shank special they do periodically.
Everything else is just meh.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I recommend Moby Dick cuz I like the company and the story, not for their quality. They're the McDonalds of the cuisine, to be certain, but the existence of a chain of Persian kabob places, founded by and still owned by folks who got out a bit before the revolution, and who employed refugee expatriates during, is awesome. Also my parents went there with me all the time growing up, after their stint in Iran with the Peace Corps.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I eat a ton of Moby Dick because it is one of only two good food options on the entire UMD campus, but pretty much only on lamb shank or lamb meatball day.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ya, Moby Dick is good. Dunno if it's a great date spot though.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I eat a ton of Moby Dick because it is one of only two good food options on the entire UMD campus, but pretty much only on lamb shank or lamb meatball day.

I try to avoid the student union, and go for Sweetgreen's or Nando's, which are walking distance from campus. I usually only buy lunch once a week though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

ya, Moby Dick is good. Dunno if it's a great date spot though.

It'd be a good spot for a chill, active date. A "we're walking around [insert neighborhood that has a Moby Dick] hitting a few bars/other activities and stopped in for a gyro," date. I wouldn't do it on a first date.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

We have a Plaka in Falls Church now. That's pretty much the only way to go for Gyros.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

the_chavi posted:

Can't remember if I've recc'd before, but Zenebech on Florida and T NW is fantastic. No frills, prices are insanely low, and I just love the place. Go there while you can... supposed to get condo'd in the next six months.

Zenebech is closing?! That's a bummer, I went there once and liked it. I had co-workers from CT that always wanted to go to Ethiopic for Ethiopian, and while they're decent, I still feel there's better Ethiopian.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We have a Plaka in Falls Church now. That's pretty much the only way to go for Gyros.

Yay, there's another Plaka?! I love those guys!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Yay, there's another Plaka?! I love those guys!

Yup, just went for lunch. It's still good.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my girlfriend wants to try a "world tour" of different restaurants/cuisines and somehow settled on Moroccan as stop #1. I've been looking around on yelp and what not but wanted to see if any of you have any experience with Moroccan restaurants in the DC area. more authentic is better.

Pretty late getting to you but if you have a car you gotta check out Fettoosh on Wilson Blvd. Parking is a nightmare but the food is amazing. Recommend the chicken bastilla and the lamb couscous. Also don't leave without trying a pot of Moroccan mint tea!

Other places I can recommend:
Piola has pretty drat good pizza.
Pretty much everything in the Del Ray area is amazing.

There's also this Chinese tea house in Georgetown called Ching Ching Cha which has amazing tea.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jenner posted:

There's also this Chinese tea house in Georgetown called Ching Ching Cha which has amazing tea.

Seconding this. It's a great little shop. Get the marbled eggs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jenner posted:

Pretty late getting to you but if you have a car you gotta check out Fettoosh on Wilson Blvd. Parking is a nightmare but the food is amazing. Recommend the chicken bastilla and the lamb couscous. Also don't leave without trying a pot of Moroccan mint tea!

Other places I can recommend:
Piola has pretty drat good pizza.
Pretty much everything in the Del Ray area is amazing.

Thanks! My girlfriend actually lives in Arlington so this is a great recommendation.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Hope you enjoy it! It's Ramadan right now so they are getting slammed around 8:30 (when fasting time ends this year) try going there around 7 pm to see if your luck is any better.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
For a second I was thinking of Tarbouch and I was really confused.

I'll have to try Piola's pizza again. I don't recall being impressed,. but their pasta is pretty ok (probably my current favorite delivery pasta for whatever that is worth). I'd rather have Pete's.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah Fettoosh is good. There is a good Yemeni place on Wilson Blvd also, called House of Mandi.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Hi! I have lived in the Bay Area most of my life, but will be moving to Columbia Heights in August. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for decent Mexican, Chinese, and Indian (bonus if it's decent south Indian) restaurants. I'll be car-less, so places that are easy to get via public transport are a huge bonus.This may be a huge generalization, but from what I've been told, a lot of the good ethnic restaurants are out in the suburbs. Is that true at all?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
the suburbs are where yuou'll find the highest density of Asian food (although Thai is roughly everywhere). In Columbia Heights, there's Thip Khao, Mi Cuba, and El Chucho. Adams Morgan isn't farr either and it has a good bit of Ethiopian (RIP Meskerem), Indian, Eritrean, and also Falafel, Doner, and Ramen (YMMV on that last one; there are many opinions out there). If you get on the metro you can find a lot more. Ethiopian is kind of a local specialty, but Tex-Mex or pure Mexican is pretty few and far between.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Biosludge posted:

Thai Square... So good ...

Went to Thai Square on Columbia Pike this Friday and my incredibly picky partner really liked it so thanks for this recommendation!

Just ate out with some friends at this Vegan restaurant called Sunflower on Leesburg Pike. Kind of a pain in the rear end to get to but the the food was really good.

While talking about other Vegan places to go to someone brought up Loving Hut anyone got an opinion on the place? Haven't tried it yet.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
For tacos, Taqueria Habanero near 14th and Quincy NW (just down the street from Red Derby) is good. Fresh tortillas! They make a difference!

Where's the best place to sit and pick crabs without driving to Baltimore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
e: double post

• Locked thread