Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«19 »
precision
May 7, 2006

You're not going anywhere.

http://www.bbcamerica.com

BBC America is a Channel that shows British shows in America.

Starting last year, though, they got into making their own British shows specifically for Americans (I don't know how that works!) with the mildly excellent Copper. They're going to be doing that more (see below).

Orphan Black is a show about a criminal (Tatiana Maslany) who finds out she is apparently the product of some sort of cloning shenanigans. Tatiana will apparently be portraying several versions of herself, working with herself to unravel the mystery of her creation.

So far we've only seen Criminal Spice and Dead Spice (who was a cop, and killed herself in front of Identity Thief Spice). There are pictures in the promos that seem to hint at a Nerdy Spice in the running.

More cast info to come!

precision fucked around with this message at Apr 4, 2013 around 21:02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

"You're so cool I'ma call you culo..."

Ripper Street so far is one of the most enjoyable detective shows I've seen in a long time. My gal and I are hooked.

precision
May 7, 2006

I actually thought the premiere of Ripper Street was somewhat mediocre, apart from its impressive dedication to showing gruesome stuff and tits (blurred out on BBCUSA )

I've watched ahead a few episodes though and it picks up really fast from episode 2 on. The premise and setting are very tired, but the acting is absolutely phenomenal.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The BBC America show I'm most excited for is the Nerdist show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

gruesome stuff and tits (blurred out on BBCUSA )

Well poo poo, what's the point even?

precision
May 7, 2006

If you squint you can sort of see nipple.

Or at least, you know, the general area of nippleness.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Running King

I found the second episode of Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan to be as enjoyable as the first. He's a pretty good host. It also seems fairly obvious when he gets the stunt animals and when he actually comes across something.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

RIP bbc comedies (in general).

precision
May 7, 2006

Teek posted:

I found the second episode of Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan to be as enjoyable as the first. He's a pretty good host. It also seems fairly obvious when he gets the stunt animals and when he actually comes across something.

I had my doubts about an hour long nature show that focuses on one animal at a time, but he really carries it with his personality. It's not must see TV or anything but it's thoroughly fun.

I'm dreading/looking forward to the giant centipede episode (I think it's the next one).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Running King

First Orphan Black footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do_BCA-vR9E

Looks like it might end up being good.

Teek fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2013 around 23:22

precision
May 7, 2006

Teek posted:

First Orphan Black footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do_BCA-vR9E

Looks like it might end up being good.

Oh nice. For some reason they're not playing that on BBC America itself yet. I'll probably end up just making a thread for it since there's not much to say about Wild Things (oh look a bug) or Ramsay Behind Bars (criminals don't like authority!)

For Joe Gilgnun fans, he has a recurring cameo in Ripper Street and he's drat good in it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Running King

BBC canceled The Hour:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...wo-seasons.html

Thought season 2 wasn't quite as strong, shame that it ended on a partial cliffhanger.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

SoroScrew

Has America gotten QI yet? If not, why not?!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

We have not. The official explanation is that it's expensive to relicense all the background images and the songs in the buzzers and all that stuff.

The unofficial explanation is that Americans are too stupid for it.

One is more convincing than the other.

It is the second one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

We have not. The official explanation is that it's expensive to relicense all the background images and the songs in the buzzers and all that stuff.

The unofficial explanation is that Americans are too stupid for it.

One is more convincing than the other.

It is the second one.

The licensing might be why the DVD releases dried up over here, though. Probably more cost-effective to let Dave have the rerun rights.

precision
May 7, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

I believe literally every episode is on YouTube, but I doubt it would fly very well on regular TV.

Tonight is the giant centipede episode of Wild Things

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

I believe literally every episode is on YouTube, but I doubt it would fly very well on regular TV.

Yep, you're right. It's a wonderful way to pass the time.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

SoroScrew

In other news, I've fallen in love with Sue Perkins.
No, really, I have. It worries me.

precision
May 7, 2006

Digging this thread narrowly out of the scope of Archives for

Orphan Black

which premieres tonight at 9 PM (8 Central). Will update the OP and thread title soon!

morcant
Sep 27, 2009

I was programmed to be helpful and answer any questions I was asked. I guess nobody bothered to restrict who I answer questions for. That was probably pretty dumb, huh?

precision posted:

Digging this thread narrowly out of the scope of Archives for

Orphan Black

which premieres tonight at 9 PM (8 Central). Will update the OP and thread title soon!

I don't have real TV, so I bought the iTunes pass, so I'm not sure when I'll get to watch the premiere but... I'm SO loving EXCITED about this show. Mostly because I am an unabashed fangirl for Michael Mando. But the show looks pretty rad, as well.

(Also I was tweeting about it the other day and got a free signed poster overnighted to me? That was pretty awesome.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Were those boobs on cable TV?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Running King

I assume you're talking about Orphan Black and not like, Top Gear. As for Orphan Black, we got a lot more skin than I ever expected. That was full on, unabashed bare female butt there.

Enjoyed that premiere, which is really the type of Sci-fi which would have been nice to see on Syfy. Glad that BBCAmerica appears to be running with it, hopefully being paired with Doctor Who will get it strong ratings.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Where the hell is Orphan Black set? America? Canada? She had a NY license plate but the bank gave her Canuck bucks.

Edit: Just read on AV Club that it is set in Toronto. Guess I was wrong on the plates.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at Mar 31, 2013 around 05:23

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ShutteredIn posted:

Where the hell is Orphan Black set? America? Canada? She had a NY license plate but the bank gave her Canuck bucks.

Edit: Just read on AV Club that it is set in Toronto. Guess I was wrong on the plates.

She got off the train somewhere in New York.

I kind of got a Continuum vibe from this show.

morcant
Sep 27, 2009

I was programmed to be helpful and answer any questions I was asked. I guess nobody bothered to restrict who I answer questions for. That was probably pretty dumb, huh?

ShutteredIn posted:

I'm taking it like Lost Girl, where they want it to seem like it's in America but it's way cheaper to film in Canada. Or maybe it is actually set in Canada.

The premiere was awesome, though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ShutteredIn posted:

Yeah, those were Ontario plates. The police paperwork was Canadian too.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

SoroScrew

Babble babble, this is the beeb megathread and I like Sue Perkins so much that her new twee-as-gently caress show is actually enjoyable to me babble, babble babble.
Or Liza Tarbuck giving herself two black eyes on the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Okay, this is now the Orphan Black thread. I dug the premiere.

precision
May 7, 2006

Aatrek posted:

I was just about to PM you for a thread title change! Thanks. I'll update the OP tonight.

morcant
Sep 27, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Yay! Though I'm sad I can't play along with TV IV (as I don't have cable), I am thrilled to have somewhere to discuss Orphan Black after my episodes become available on iTunes.

precision
May 7, 2006

I think that was the most nudity I've ever seen on BBC America.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

precision posted:

I think that was the most nudity I've ever seen on BBC America.

BBCA used to have a lot of nudity a few years ago. Shows like Footballer's Wives and Mile High aired with their nudity unedited.

leidend
May 18, 2008

Really liked the pilot. Surprised to see the main characters aren't actually British.

Shakugan
Dec 19, 2005
The All Seeing Eye

precision posted:

Starting last year, though, they got into making their own British shows specifically for Americans (I don't know how that works!)

The thing that I associate with British tv is that their serial dramas always seem to have predefined lengths as soon as they are conceived. You don't get shows that had excellent first seasons constantly renewed with more and more obscene plots (i.e. Dexter), or promising shows that are constantly on renewal bubbles that screw around writers who don't know how long they have to tell a story, resulting in chaotic mess (e.g. Chuck).

They start out with a season knowing it's very likely all they are going to get, and so they are able to make sure they use their time most effectively. Proper arcs are developed, you get little filler, proper endings etc.

If taking this approach with American tv is what is meant by "British shows specifically for Americans", I'm all for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

Shakugan posted:

The thing that I associate with British tv is that their serial dramas always seem to have predefined lengths as soon as they are conceived. You don't get shows that had excellent first seasons constantly renewed with more and more obscene plots (i.e. Dexter), or promising shows that are constantly on renewal bubbles that screw around writers who don't know how long they have to tell a story, resulting in chaotic mess (e.g. Chuck).

Actually that's not just a British thing, that's also how things are done with almost all Asian and European dramas that I can think of (for another good very-recent example, Les Revenants).

America (and to an extent Canada) are the outliers when it comes to "Let's do this high-concept show and make it as open-ended as possible even though we should know it has at best a 10% chance of getting to a second season". I'm sure someone somewhere can explain why they do that, but it makes no sense to me. The couple people I know who work in LA at studios don't have any insight into it either.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

macnbc posted:

Yeah, those were Ontario plates. The police paperwork was Canadian too.

The train the cop jumped in front of was a blue GO train as well - my wife picked that up right away.

Hemlock
Jan 17, 2006
Waffle.

leidend posted:

Really liked the pilot. Surprised to see the main characters aren't actually British.

As a Brit I thought the accents were pretty bad! It actually took me a while to realise that’s what they were going for- I thought maybe she was supposed to be Australian at first, and even after the boy’s OTT ‘Londoner’ I wasn’t really sure where to place her. I thought perhaps both actors were Australian and that was leaking through but it seems not.

Anyway, interesting start.

Shakugan posted:

They start out with a season knowing it's very likely all they are going to get, and so they are able to make sure they use their time most effectively. Proper arcs are developed, you get little filler, proper endings etc.

Our shows are normally a lot shorter than yours- I don’t think we have many 16+ (or frankly even 6+) episode series (except the soap staples that apparently will never die). I think that normally means things are completed before they air- so you don’t get the ‘will-they wont-they’ where a season can be extended while it’s still showing depending on ratings. Obviously though things that get good reviews and viewership will likely get renewed in the same way they would in the U.S. – so terrible sequel syndrome does have a chance to set in in some cases.

That being said, our tv people do also seem to be happy to finish up a series even when it’s been doing well, which means lots of things do get finished off properly (albeit leaving the audience wanting more!).

I suppose you get different things from UK/US programming- we do some things well but there are definite advantages to your longer series and (generally) higher production values.

precision
May 7, 2006

Second episode definitely better than the first. That German cover of "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" was a great touch.

leidend
May 18, 2008

This may be a "no poo poo sherlock" moment for some but I finally realized why the main character's ex-boyfriend looked so familiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIfXdtml2gU

(minor Far Cry 3 spoilers)

He's one of the best game villians in recent memory IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Running King

Enjoyed the second episode. After watching these episodes, I feel bad for Tatiana Maslany, in addition to her normal character, she has to get into the getup of all the other characters. It's probably a lot of work to do some scenes multiple times as different characters each episode. It pays off really well though, as the camera tracking has been pretty flawless so far.

«19 »