Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Thanks for sharing, I'm surprised that I haven't heard of it already. Really dig the graphics and aesthetics, particularly the shading of the trees and the grass/dirt borders. Graphically, it's like a marriage of all of the little styles I loved in old SNES games, and yet somehow coherent and solid. Really like the character portraits, as well, as a refreshing change from Natsume's current direction with Harvest Moon and others. Hope it survives Greenlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The Mimic posted:

Thanks for sharing, I'm surprised that I haven't heard of it already. Really dig the graphics and aesthetics, particularly the shading of the trees and the grass/dirt borders. Graphically, it's like a marriage of all of the little styles I loved in old SNES games, and yet somehow coherent and solid. Really like the character portraits, as well, as a refreshing change from Natsume's current direction with Harvest Moon and others. Hope it survives Greenlight.

If a game called "Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars", which reads like an actual goddamn parody, can make it through...

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 14, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Everything looks much better.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Oh, how cool! I like Harvest Moon and these sorts of games. Definitely has my vote!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It's got my vote. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Aw man I already spent my vote on Starbound :(
gently caress it, I'll vote again with my other E-mail.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
This is the game I've been waiting on for at least 10 years. Voted!

I've had plans to do a game like this as a side-project for years, too. I guess I'll have to be content with just playing / modding it.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Voted, I am so psyched for this game. This seriously looks like its gonna be the one game that steals all of my time forever. I'm also super glad to hear its gonna have unlimited mode. Will it run on somewhat older PCs, because I can't afford a new computer but I need to play this when it comes out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Definitely has my vote. I've been looking forward to this for awhile, as I'd love a back-to-basics type of Harvest Moon game, and as that series grows more and more complex, there's really nothing else to fill the void.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Has any info come out about how the co-op system is going to work yet? I want to be able to play co-op with my wife and marry her character so she can move into my farm give me a hard time about not doing my chores around the house in video game form.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I wonder how wooing of NPCs works in terms of multiplayer? Specifically, if multiple players are wooing the same townsperson? Because if you can steal love from another player I know me and my friends' farm will very quickly devolve into a reenactment of Les Liaisons Dangereuses. :v:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 27, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
The dungeons and combat are a huge bummer. If not for that I'd be completely sold on the game in a way I haven't been on any game in a long time. As it stands I'll wait to see whether or not those are pretty much ignorable features.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, that improved art looks so much better. It's not higher res, it's not more colors, it's just so much more well designed.

I mean, just compare this:

With this:

On another note, can you edit the OP to add in proper thumbnails for the images? timg tags are nice for small amounts of images like what's on this page, but when you have as many images linked in the OP as you do, timg tags get real bad because the forum is actually having your browser render those at full resolution and then downsampling. When you have a lot of them on screen at once, performance goes to hell even on a modern computer.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
No one has posted this yet so I'll just put this here.

(from concernedape's twitter)

Apparently there is a wizard and this is his house. :dance:

YOURFRIEND posted:

The dungeons and combat are a huge bummer. If not for that I'd be completely sold on the game in a way I haven't been on any game in a long time. As it stands I'll wait to see whether or not those are pretty much ignorable features.

I believe concernedape has said in the past that you can ignore the mine and just focus on farming, or vise versa, if you want. Dunno if that has changed in the intervening time.

e: OP, there are enough new images that you could probably get rid of the "outdated images" section if you want to. Trim the fat a bit.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 5, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Everything looks a lot better although personally the exterior of houses stand out in that they're lacking detail that the rest of the environment has. It all still looks good, just something I noticed. Can't wait to play this :)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Man the new graphics look awesome. Here's hoping they can get to E3, though I'll still be playing if he can't.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 14, 2017

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I watched the stream a bit before I admittedly got sick of hearing the rather awkward sounding folk on the mumble stream drone on about their inane topics but I will say that while I'm not sure what I was expecting with the mining/dungeon delving aspect of gameplay, I was severely impressed by what I saw, namely that I could dig in any direction and potentially come across other rooms and areas to explore. In addition the game look pretty darn slick in motion. I'll restate that I am looking forward to this so much and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Looks great but I hope the next graphics update deals with the outsides of buildings.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Jesto posted:

If you missed the stream, you can view all 2 hours and 30 minutes of it here.

http://www.twitch.tv/tiyuri/b/399838803
http://www.twitch.tv/tiyuri/b/399848607

It looks so good and sounds so good and plays so good, and, and... :allears:

It still needs a lot of work, though, of course. If you see something you think is cool, take a screenshot of it and post it in here for the OP.

The game looks good, half Terraria, half Harvest Moon. The mining/combat seems unobtrusive and avoidable if you insist. Also, mining and logging with bombs never got old.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Stardew Valley has officially been Greenlit! It was chosen in the latest batch of six.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1569781302750532884

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

elzie posted:

Stardew Valley has officially been Greenlit! It was chosen in the latest batch of six.

:woop:

Man I hit that button back the day it hit greenlight. I'm so proud.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Welp gonna have to get this for sure now. I burned out on Terraria but hoping this is Harvest Moon enough to get me more than 17 hours.

V I was already interested but and steam isn't a make or break deal but when it is something I already have interest in then it really does add enough to make it a must buy. It's not like I haven't bought indie games straight from developers, but I like having a steam version if at all possible and it is enough to tip the scales in some cases.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 16, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Jakse posted:

Welp gonna have to get this for sure now. I burned out on Terraria but hoping this is Harvest Moon enough to get me more than 17 hours.

I am interested, why does this game getting greenlit make it a must buy for you?

Does steam really add that much to a game that you would pass over a game like this (only serious Harvest Moon type game on our platform) if it didn't have Steam support? I do find the attitude that Steam is a requirement for a game to be good an odd one, and I struggle to understand it. Especially for these super-indie, one/two man developers, who need our support, and they need it even more if they were unlucky enough not to get greenlit.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 16, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

elzie posted:

I did a little fistpump when I first read the news. I was gonna buy the game regardless, but now this is going to make it a lot more convenient for me. Beyond that, this is going to allow the game to be so much more successful for the developer.

Funso Banjo posted:

Does steam really add that much to a game that you would pass over a game like this (only serious Harvest Moon type game on our platform) if it didn't have Steam support? I do find the attitude that Steam is a requirement for a game to be good an odd one, and I struggle to understand it. Especially for these super-indie, one/two man developers, who need our support, and they need it even more if they were unlucky enough not to get greenlit.

Steam has become the digital gaming store for PC. This appears to be even more true for indie titles, as discovered by this expose from Joystiq.

quote:

To Incredipede developer Colin Northway, any platform's success lay in its content discovery capabilities, and this was why Steam held the No. 1 spot.

"Why do people want to be on Steam?" He asks, unprompted. "Not because their distribution tools are great – although they are – it's because so many players use Steam as a content discovery platform. What game am I going to buy today? Let's check the Steam sales."

For me, 98% of my PC game collection is now on Steam. I'll consider rebuying a game (when it is on sale) on Steam so I can have that convenience. It's the ease of having everything in one place, the speed in which I can redownload games, and the awesome sales. I also love Humble Bundle, and a big reason for that is that I get Steam codes whenever possible!

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 17, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 14, 2017

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Revol posted:

I did a little fistpump when I first read the news. I was gonna buy the game regardless, but now this is going to make it a lot more convenient for me. Beyond that, this is going to allow the game to be so much more successful for the developer.

Steam has become the digital gaming store for PC. This appears to be even more true for indie titles, as discovered by this expose from Joystiq.

Yeah, that's why I'm so excited about the news. I discovered harvest moon completely by accident when I was a teenager, and it's never been much more than a niche series. I think there's a (slightly) larger audience out there who would enjoy something like Stardew Valley. Especially if you consider the growth of casual audiences playing facebook games who might really dig this.

I hope a whole new generation falls in love with fantasy-farming-dating simulations because of this game. And really, who but an indie dev could sell that idea, or find success on steam? Publishers would run screaming from it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Jesto posted:

Anyhow, Stardew Valley being greenlit is amazing either way. :) If it makes a big enough splash, Natsume might just take notice and start porting Harvest Moon games to PC.

They can stay on consoles for all I care; let folk like these have the under supplied PC share. :colbert:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 14, 2017

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
A new update appears.

"

Rings – These rare trinkets will grant you special powers when worn. Equip two at a time to customize your ability!

Boots - Boots are all the rage in Stardew Valley… But true adventurers prize them for their protective qualities. You’d be a fool to go too deep in the caves without a sturdy pair.

Minerals - Geologists from around the continent know that Stardew Valley is a wonderful place to find geodes. The local blacksmith, Clint, is happy to break them open with his hammer to reveal their hidden treasures… for a moderate fee

When you collect artifacts and minerals, you can choose to sell them or donate them to the local museum. As a way of saying thanks, Gunther (the curator) is happy to let you arrange the artifacts as you see fit. He might even give you special gifts or museum decorations as you work towards completing the collection.

Slingshot – After getting your hands on a slingshot, you’ll have a handy ranged weapon at your disposal. Load it up with stones, ores & more. You might have to practice a bit to get your aim down… just try not to hit Mayor Lewis on the nose!

Other things I have been working on recently:

Fixing bugs & unintended behaviors
Drawing more character portraits
Menus
A new building
Things I will be working on soon (they are all started but not entirely finished):

Farming
Tool upgrades
Seasons
Of course, that’s not everything… there’s still a lot of content that needs to be added before I am happy to release this… as well as finishing multiplayer, which is no trivial task. But I am not slowing down, my virtual body is moving at generous speed and will continue!

Back to work… thanks for reading, everyone!

-Ape"

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 14, 2017

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Or the gates open.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Asciana posted:

Slingshot – After getting your hands on a slingshot, you’ll have a handy ranged weapon at your disposal. Load it up with stones, ores & more. You might have to practice a bit to get your aim down… just try not to hit Mayor Lewis on the nose!
Now I want a yoyo weapon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh man I loved the SNES Harvest Moon. This might scratch my childlike-sense-of-wonder itch from Minecraft as well as my hang-out-with-imaginary-videogame-buddies itch from Persona 4.