Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The White Dragon posted:

Trainmonk posted:

All the romance partners are white people and 1 slightly tan white person...
It does sound like an American version of that game where you date disabled girls, except it's their mental health instead of their being deaf or whatever. Not everyone needs to have capital-p Problems to be interesting characters and even reading those descriptions feels a little predatory.
Harvest Moon was the same way, like most Japanese games

Having a varied cast would actually make it more American...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

It does sound like an American version of that game where you date disabled girls, except it's their mental health instead of their being deaf or whatever. Not everyone needs to have capital-p Problems to be interesting characters and even reading those descriptions feels a little predatory.

Could a charming new farmer cultivate the wasteland of his heart?

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Jackard posted:

Harvest Moon was the same way, like most Japanese games

Having a varied cast would actually make it more American...

Yeah but there's no excuse when you're not Japanese and not making a Japanese game.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 14, 2017

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Jesto posted:

You make it sound like each of the characters are completely mentally crippled. They look no worse off than any character on the Breakfast Club to me. Characters need flaws if you want to give them any sort of depth when writing them, especially for relationships, unless you want Harvest Moon style relationships where the extent of it is throwing eggs at some girl every day until a wedding cutscene happens, she moves into your house and then never has anything to say past that beyond "Good morning, sweetie!"

You seriously think a character has to be mentally broken to have a personality?

e. this is from watching too much anime

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 14, 2013

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I wouldn't date a non-E/N poster.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Personally, I expect well-rounded, nuanced, deep characters from my anime farming sims.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

It's mostly just the way the dudes' descriptions are phrased with the angsty goon and the alcoholic and the dudes whose loving parents vanished and left a gaping void wtf. CAN YOU SAVE HIM FROM... HIMSELF?

The girls don't seem too bad.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 14, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Jesto posted:

Harvey: Doctor with a small apartment, who is sad. Probably due to not being able to save someone or some other doctor related thing, but it doesn't say.
"im a 20-something doctor stuck in a teen romance game"

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think the "they're all mentally disabled" argument has much merit, but it is pretty drat lame that they're all white. This is America's Heartland, no minorities allowed. It's too real. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 14, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Not enough rednecks in this game.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't think the "they're all mentally disabled" argument has much merit, but it is pretty drat lame that they're all white. This is America's Heartland, no minorities allowed. It's too real. :v:

Is the game set in America? I thought it was fictional.

I don't think we should expect someone's fictional world to relate to ours in terms of race. A fictional world where everyone is white, or everyone is black, or everyone is a cross between a human and an animal, is perfectly fine. (except the animal thing, that isn't really fine).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Just found out about this game. So stoked to play it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Funso Banjo posted:

Is the game set in America? I thought it was fictional.

I don't think we should expect someone's fictional world to relate to ours in terms of race. A fictional world where everyone is white, or everyone is black, or everyone is a cross between a human and an animal, is perfectly fine. (except the animal thing, that isn't really fine).

If you're making a fictional world and it's all one color of people, you either deliberately chose not to put anybody else in it or you just straight-up forgot to put them in.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Token black guy in the top right. I honestly have no opinion on this.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Man the spritework is all over the place. I honestly think it doesnt look too good.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Chantilly Say posted:

If you're making a fictional world and it's all one color of people, you either deliberately chose not to put anybody else in it or you just straight-up forgot to put them in.

Dunno about that.

I am involved in a rural community here in the UK. The UK in general is a real melting pot, you don't get much more multicultural. We are animal breeders in rural Lincolsnhire (My wife breeds and sells horses) and I know literally hundreds of farmers, animal breeders, animal welfare and conservation workers, vets, farriers, butchers/abattoir workers, forrestry commision staff, hunters and feed merchants. Exactly one of these people is not British White (and she is French white).

If I was creating a world based on our rural life, I would probably not include dark skin unless I was doing so artificially in the hope people wouldn't call me racist. Which I think we can all agree is the wrong reason to do anything. I certainly wouldn't consider myself racist for doing this, though judging by a few posts in this thread some others would consider me racist.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 14, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

If I was creating a world based on our rural life, I would probably not include dark skin unless I was doing so artificially in the hope people wouldn't call me racist. Which I think we can all agree is the wrong reason to do anything. I certainly wouldn't consider myself racist for doing this, though judging by a few posts in this thread some others would consider me racist.

Did I wander into goons.txt by mistake?

This game isn't real. It isn't set in a real place. It is an entertainment product for consumption. If everyone in the game full of loads of npcs is white then it's very much sending a message, that message being "I either don't give a poo poo about any non-white players who might want to relate to characters, or I am so goddamn white that I forgot other races exist".

Also,

quote:

I would probably not include dark skin unless I was doing so artificially in the hope people wouldn't call me racist. Which I think we can all agree is the wrong reason to do anything.

I started typing up a reply to this but gently caress it, I'm just going to point at it silently

e. I don't even care that much about the races of the sprites or whatever, but goddamn this post

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 14, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Corridor posted:

If everyone in the game is white then it's very much sending a message, that message being "I either don't give a poo poo about any non-white players who might want to relate to characters, or I am so goddamn white that I forgot other races exist".
Stardew Valley is being developed by a gorilla, you cannot expect gorillas to be aware of issues like this.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I think Stardew Valley is going to be a badly written game and that's why the character list reads like a checklist of arcetypes. But I like planting things so can't say I'm too bothered.

The character sprites do look like garbage though. They've been my biggest bug bear with this game. Definitely won't stop me playing.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 14, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ I think that 'more than three, or none' might be a good starting figure?

Jackard posted:

Stardew Valley is being developed by a gorilla, you cannot expect gorillas to be aware of issues like this.

I think that if the gorilla is concerned enough, they might make an effort.

But I am not really that bothered about racist sprites. I am more annoyed at goons typing retarded things, which always makes me type into the abyss and become that which I loathe. (Banjo is still dumb though)

VVVVV was meant sarcastically. I am used to gbs 2.1 and I forget that other forums have seriousposting.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 14, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
'Racist' sprites? It's dull there's no variety in their ethnicity but come on dude, really?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Corridor posted:

drat, those look pretty good. I'm not too crazy about the sprites either though.

Kinda nostalgic about the RPG Maker 2000 sprites, personally, but I can see why that'd be nightmarish to others.

.. Jesto, I think it might help to calm down a bit, you don't need to defend everything about the characters there. I agree that the alcohol thing can be rather subjective, but the "lost his parents" kinda thinks invites some drama on his path. It's really difficult to deal with both your parents being gone, but I can't know for sure how the game will portray it, but seems to be to be a pretty thin line to walk on.

Trainmonk posted:

Yeah but there's no excuse when you're not Japanese and not making a Japanese game.

Have you seen any American TV drama shows? They've got the Japanese soundly beat in the "WTF" category for this poo poo.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Have you seen any American TV drama shows? They've got the Japanese soundly beat in the "WTF" category for this poo poo.

Oh yeah absolutely, there's no excuse for that either.

Anyway, I can understand there being few people of color in a rural American town but purely for the sake of non-alienation there should at least be one poc romance for either gender. Otherwise this game just has a big "Not For You" stamped across it like so many others. There's no legitimate reason for it other than "whoops im white and i never have to think about this, i forgot".

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Bring it up to the guy makin the game, he's been fairly receptive to feedback like this so far.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Bring it up to the guy makin the game, he's been fairly receptive to feedback like this so far.

Yeah I actually already emailed him about it. Not expecting anything to change but he should probably at least be aware.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
There should be a checklist of all the ethnicities that need to be represented and they should be represented proportional to their demographic percentages.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I want inuit romance in my anime farming sim.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I have already created the petition for a japanese waifu, I will not be denied.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Yeah I get that you are white and snarky but it's actually not that funny seeing nobody who looks like you everywhere you go and in everything you're interested in.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I'd expand my interests past anime dating sims.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I am definitely on your side with this and would love to see broader ethnicity in all forms of entertainment media, and in irl communities. But discussion about Real Issues on the autistic nerd escapism forum don't usually go too well, and now that it has been addressed in this thread and acknowledged as something that could be improved, it might be best to stop while we're ahead.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

I'd expand my interests past anime dating sims.

It's pretty much all this way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Corridor posted:

VVVVV was meant sarcastically. I am used to gbs 2.1 and I forget that other forums have seriousposting.

OK, cool, my bad. Just seen that sort of thing come up a lot in quite a sincere way. :downs:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Needs more confederate flags to be more true to life. First thing I'm modding in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I want Early Cuyler in my Rural America sim, rights for appalachian mud squids