Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I honestly never put it together like that or thought about them being actually connected in any way until I started seeing discussion about timelines, which was like a year ago(I don't read Zelda stuff much). I just assumed it was the same rough outline of a story being told over and over and that's all there was to it.

Some of the games have some very direct ties/references to other ones. Like the stained glass paintings of the Ocarina of Time sages in the Master Sword room in The Wind Waker and Ganondorf's execution in Twilight Princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

The real story is "Hey, Miyamoto, if you make a timeline we can make insane amounts of money by selling it in a book."

"But guys, we haven't been trying at anything resembling a timeline beyond vague references for years! And the 2D games hardly fit anywhere!"
"Shigeru, listen. INSANE amounts of money."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 28, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

bpc908 posted:

The Three Split Timeline makes absolutely no sense. Link always succeeds in my book. Nowhere in the games does Link fail. The Two Split timeline makes more sense than the three split.

Before you take control of Lunk in OoT he has a dream of Ganondorf shooting him in the face.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I honestly never put it together like that or thought about them being actually connected in any way until I started seeing discussion about timelines, which was like a year ago(I don't read Zelda stuff much). I just assumed it was the same rough outline of a story being told over and over and that's all there was to it.
It's a legend. It's right there in the title, look! And legends have all different variants depending on who's telling them and where.

But nerds couldn't take that and started going on about timelines.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I hope I'm not the only one who's copy of Hyrule Historia came early today!! :haw:

Yeah, I dunno why they put out a special edition. The regular edition is pretty drat snazzy as it is.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
The three timelines exist because OoT is both a prequel to LttP and a semi-reboot. LttP's backstory requires the hero to fail, but what kind of ending would that be for the first ever 3D Zelda? It's like that Star Wars game where you can defeat Palpatine as Vader and change the whole ending. Or when people thought Twilight Princess would end with Link's failure and the Great Flood. Really? If they made a prequel to Wind Waker, you'd probably prevent the flood and create yet a fourth timeline, because Nintendo just doesn't make their games that dark.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rake Arms posted:

The three timelines exist because OoT is both a prequel to LttP and a semi-reboot. LttP's backstory requires the hero to fail, but what kind of ending would that be for the first ever 3D Zelda? It's like that Star Wars game where you can defeat Palpatine as Vader and change the whole ending. Or when people thought Twilight Princess would end with Link's failure and the Great Flood. Really? If they made a prequel to Wind Waker, you'd probably prevent the flood and create yet a fourth timeline, because Nintendo just doesn't make their games that dark.

I always thought that, when the intro to Wind Waker talks about the hero leaving Hyrule and letting evil back in, that was when Link is in Termina for Majora's Mask.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

C-Euro posted:

I always thought that, when the intro to Wind Waker talks about the hero leaving Hyrule and letting evil back in, that was when Link is in Termina for Majora's Mask.

And the Triforce of Courage broke when he was cursed into Deku Scrub form! :v:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

C-Euro posted:

Nintendo said that Wind Waker stems from the future timeline. Link awakes in the Temple of Time in the future after Hyrule has been taken over by Ganon. Link defeats Ganon and then goes back in time. The future timeline continues, but without Link in it, Ganon returns, leading to the flood, Wind Waker.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

Ocarina of Time: Let's make a prequel to LttP!
Wind Waker: Let's make a sequel to OoT that contradicts LttP!
Twilight Princess: Let's make another sequel to OoT that contradicts WW and LttP!

And that's the story of the three timelines.

Aonuma and Miyamoto have both said since WW came out that the idea of two timelines coming from OoT was always the plan, but yeah the third "oh if Link fails that leads to the old 2D games" timeline is clearly them retconning poo poo because they didn't stop and realize at first that both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker broke the whole "OoT is LttP's prequel" idea.

It makes kind of a weird amount of retroactive sense though, since the Ganon that appears in the "failed" timeline is always a horrible pig monster gone mad with power and no humanity left. Actually, they managed to make each Ganondorf make sense in each game that he appeared. WW Ganondorf is a crafty schemer obsessed with getting back the power he lost and seems kind of tired by this whole thing, TP Ganondorf is an arrogant jerk who didn't earn his piece of the Triforce and assumes that he's better than everyone else.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Obligatory Toast posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who's copy of Hyrule Historia came early today!! :haw:

Yeah, I dunno why they put out a special edition. The regular edition is pretty drat snazzy as it is.

Mind throwing up a pic of it? Mine won't be delivered until tomorrow but I'd like to see an actual picture of how snazzy it is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Ocarina of Time: Let's make a prequel to LttP!
Wind Waker: Let's make a sequel to OoT that contradicts LttP!
Twilight Princess: Let's make another sequel to OoT that contradicts WW and LttP!

And that's the story of the three timelines.

LTTP was already a prequel to the first zelda, and it managed not to contradict anything. Wind Waker is the one that hosed everything up, and from that point onwards no one cared about continuity.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

CrushedB posted:

It makes kind of a weird amount of retroactive sense though, since the Ganon that appears in the "failed" timeline is always a horrible pig monster gone mad with power and no humanity left. Actually, they managed to make each Ganondorf make sense in each game that he appeared. WW Ganondorf is a crafty schemer obsessed with getting back the power he lost and seems kind of tired by this whole thing, TP Ganondorf is an arrogant jerk who didn't earn his piece of the Triforce and assumes that he's better than everyone else.

I don't think they planned this in advance, but the fate of Demise in Skyward Sword actually ties into Wind Waker when Ganondorf says the Master Sword is the key to unlocking his magic. I think SS meant to retcon that as a reference to Demise's consciousness being sealed in the blade.

Peewi posted:

Some of the games have some very direct ties/references to other ones. Like the stained glass paintings of the Ocarina of Time sages in the Master Sword room in The Wind Waker and Ganondorf's execution in Twilight Princess.

Wind Waker is packed with OoT references. Aside from the sages, the Hero of Time, and the roughly matching geography, some of the references are very specific. The King says the Pirate's Charm is a modified Gossip Stone, even though there are no Gossip Stones in WW. You even learn the Sun's Song Song of Passing in Kakariko's Windfall's graveyard.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 28, 2013

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

LTTP was already a prequel to the first zelda, and it managed not to contradict anything. Wind Waker is the one that hosed everything up, and from that point onwards no one cared about continuity.

I hope we keep getting games like Wind Waker that decimate the timeline, since they tend to be the best anyway.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I hope we keep getting games like Wind Waker that decimate the timeline, since they tend to be the best anyway.

Spirit Tracks wasn't really that great and that probably destroyed the timeline more than WW(i.e. Trains).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You can't extrapolate a pattern from a single example!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Spirit Tracks wasn't really that great and that probably destroyed the timeline more than WW(i.e. Trains).

Nah, it was explicitly stated in-game that it took place decades after the events of Wind Waker/ Phantom Hourglass.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Rake Arms posted:

I don't think they planned this in advance, but the fate of Demise in Skyward Sword actually ties into Wind Waker when Ganondorf says the Master Sword is the key to unlocking his magic. I think SS meant to retcon that as a reference to Demise's consciousness being sealed in the blade.

I thiiiink I read somewhere that that was a mistranslation of some kind, and Ganondorf was just talking about how you just unfroze the rest of his army from being stuck in time down there. There was some site where people were comparing the Japanese text and English localizations of all the games; most of it was perfectly fine, just adapting it to be a bit more poetic and natural in English, but there were a few weird things. Like the original LttP Japanese manual's backstory about Hyrule and the Master Sword was more fleshed out and consistent with the later games than the English version, and Twilight Princess having some bizarre translation choices that lead to stuff like "the ancient sages were Zelda's tutors" that wasn't present in the original at all.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

C-Euro posted:

I always thought it was when Link was in Soul Caliber 2, since they both came out around the same time.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Gentlemen, gentlemen all this timeline nonsense can be cleared up by an expert on the subject, Dr. Emmett Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHCbp5LTgbU

(ignore that crummy acting in the first minute and a half.)

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Commissar Ken posted:

(ignore that crummy acting in the first minute and a half.)

But let's give some recognition to Link's dead-on Marty impression.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Rake Arms posted:

But let's give some recognition to Link's dead-on Marty impression.

Oh without a doubt. Also I guess they made a sequel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVdWlNCUkg

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Nah, it was explicitly stated in-game that it took place decades after the events of Wind Waker/ Phantom Hourglass.

Except how does Hyrule go from Ships and boats as a primary means of transportation to then choo choo trains in just 10 years?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Except how does Hyrule go from Ships and boats as a primary means of transportation to then choo choo trains in just 10 years?

Because it wasn't 10 years, it was 100. Remember that Niko was an old man and the only one still alive from Wind Waker.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
What's up with ghosts? They obviously exist and can be chatted up, why aren't there any old as gently caress ghosts that can tell us what's up

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Disregarding that it's a much larger timespan (several generations), the Hyrule in Spirit Tracks is a new land founded by Link and Tetra. I don't imagine they would keep using boats on land. Also, if steamships exist in WW/PH, then trains are no huge stretch.

Commissar Ken posted:

Oh without a doubt. Also I guess they made a sequel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVdWlNCUkg

The best part is when he pauses to check the buttons for the Song of Time.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Obligatory Toast posted:

I'm reading this on the train on my way home and you're getting my hopes up. If its not there when I get home, we got a problem, bub.

edit: You're in luck :3:

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 28, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I always thought it was when Link was in Soul Caliber 2, since they both came out around the same time.

Oh poo poo, I hadn't even thought of that :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

After doing some reading I've decided I don't like this overarching storyline stuff and I think this is the only way it would loop back around and become cool for me. If they could figure the other bonus characters like Darth Vader into Zelda that would be extra cool.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

After doing some reading I've decided I don't like this overarching storyline stuff and I think this is the only way it would loop back around and become cool for me. If they could figure the other bonus characters like Darth Vader into Zelda that would be extra cool.

I know the split timeline is totally irrelevant to the actual games, but this trailer made me imagine a Zelda game where you can actually jump between the three worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7L6pEoFBQ

Then again, if you look closely, you can see some clearly Zelda-inspired elements in this game. Maybe it will be satisfyingly Zelda-like on its own.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

scary ghost dog posted:

What's up with ghosts? They obviously exist and can be chatted up, why aren't there any old as gently caress ghosts that can tell us what's up
Because they're all assholes who hate the living.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Rake Arms posted:

I know the split timeline is totally irrelevant to the actual games, but this trailer made me imagine a Zelda game where you can actually jump between the three worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7L6pEoFBQ

Then again, if you look closely, you can see some clearly Zelda-inspired elements in this game. Maybe it will be satisfyingly Zelda-like on its own.
The developers themselves describe it as "Ratchet & Clank meets Zelda meets Uncharted".

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ineffiable posted:

Mind throwing up a pic of it? Mine won't be delivered until tomorrow but I'd like to see an actual picture of how snazzy it is.

Aw, sorry! I wish I saw this before I woke up and left for work, then I would've snapped a pic for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by it. My only grief is I wish it had a dust jacket.

Edit: Nevermind apparently I didn't need to work tonight. I apologize for the lovely iPhone pics.

Bonus concept art of the Kikwis here: http://i.imgur.com/mkdkRGH.jpg

It's very cute! I actually wish they had used these designs instead.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 29, 2013

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man

Obligatory Toast posted:

Jesus christ. I wish those dried out ones had shown up in-game, they look like they've seen some poo poo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Obligatory Toast posted:

Aw, sorry! I wish I saw this before I woke up and left for work, then I would've snapped a pic for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by it. My only grief is I wish it had a dust jacket.

Edit: Nevermind apparently I didn't need to work tonight. I apologize for the lovely iPhone pics.

Mind doing a mini-review of the book?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BexGu posted:

Mind doing a mini-review of the book?

I got the same book. It's basically an art book with little comments from the game developers on some of the character designs. It focuses much more heavily on SS, with a lot on TP, but they have a few concept pieces from the original Zelda games. The 2 most recent games are 3/4 of the concept art.

The timeline is definitely neat, but it really seems more like a way to coincidentally tie together 25 years of a franchise only previously united by a general plot. I'm pretty certain the next games will be placed after the end of the 3 major timelines to avoid having to jam them in after the fact.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

pentyne posted:

I got the same book. It's basically an art book with little comments from the game developers on some of the character designs. It focuses much more heavily on SS, with a lot on TP, but they have a few concept pieces from the original Zelda games. The 2 most recent games are 3/4 of the concept art.

The timeline is definitely neat, but it really seems more like a way to coincidentally tie together 25 years of a franchise only previously united by a general plot. I'm pretty certain the next games will be placed after the end of the 3 major timelines to avoid having to jam them in after the fact.
Ha, this pretty much. The timeline is confusing as gently caress, but thankfully it can be completely ignored. The section itself just summarizes each game and kind of where it ties in. The concept art (for SS at least) offers some really interesting/bizarre tidbits about how they came to a particular design and what they were aiming for. For example, Fi has a huuuuge number of concept pieces, and some of them are completely loving bizarre. Fledge also has a huge butt and the bamboo cutter guy was a former pop idol who let himself go after retiring.

I haven't read the manga in the back yet, but having read all of the other previous stuff that Himekawa put out for the series, I can guess it's probably anime as gently caress and I will enjoy the poo poo out of it regardless.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
My copy of Hyrule Historia just arrived. I'm going to enjoy reading through it. And I took pictures before reading the thread so now you get to see my copy too! :v:

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Concerning Aonuma mentioning that the next Zelda installment may have multiplayer got me thinking how awesome it would be if instead of Link saving Zelda, Link and Zelda work together to defeat whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MustelaFuro posted:

Concerning Aonuma mentioning that the next Zelda installment may have multiplayer got me thinking how awesome it would be if instead of Link saving Zelda, Link and Zelda work together to defeat whoever.

This is what I was hoping the New Game+ would be for Skyward Sword since they seemed to be hinting at it. I really wanted to play as characters other than link.

• Locked thread