Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

To be honest I'm not too keen on these kind of tables because of the whole 'hilarious' element of having a player character get horribly murdered / maul himself to death due to a few unlucky rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Firefox is being a shitlord about opening PDFs but I have no problem with more lethality.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
AS A HIGH OCTANE FUCKENGINE OF MASS DESTRUCTION, I AM OKAY WITH ALL MANNER OF OVER THE TOP SHENANIGANS.

In other words I am on board with totally hilarious roll streaks leading to insanity for both good and nefarious purposes.

But then, if I wanted to just safely get stronger and stronger with no consequences I'd be playing a JRPG so YMMV

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 13, 2013

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Plutonis posted:

To be honest I'm not too keen on these kind of tables because of the whole 'hilarious' element of having a player character get horribly murdered / maul himself to death due to a few unlucky rolls.

I usually go with 20 = Automatic Success(aside from Crit Confirmations in 3e) and 1 DOES NOT = Automatic Failure, but I might modify the table to be less FANTASTICALLY lethal and simply use it to make crits more exciting.

I.e. 1 = not an automatic failure

20 = automatic success in a lot of cases

20 with Weapon Crit = Chance for fantastic insanity.

I like the idea of characters getting wounds and scars and disabilities from regular combat, but not at a dramatically irritating pace and not the fantastically outrageous stuff. Kobold throws spear, rolls 20, confirms, rolls 100 LOL DECAPITATED does seem pretty dumb to me.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I loves these tables, not because you have a(n additional) statistically negligible chance of dying every now and then, but because it adds character to crits and fumbles. A 2x or 3x modifier is boring and not conductive to story-telling through combat, the tables add a nice, structured and balanced way for the occasional melee to leave lasting scars or hilarious death spirals (a long chain of events leading to inevitable doom, that can be slightly prolonged by tactical play, rather than 1 roll death)

With this system, the crits work just like they do now ~65% of the time. But the rest of the time; fingers, arms, and legs can go flying. Monks can roundhouse kick wizards, Fighters can get their helms spun around and be blinded until they fix it, the paladin loses an eye, and teeny tiny halfling clerics can slit the throats of giants.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Eh, not that keen on them. Maybe tone them down a little, or... I dunno, not have NPCs use it? Or maybe only have "important" NPCs use it, instead of every mook?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Alright, my ruling is that we'll use a modified version of the table for Criticals, but not for Fumbles.

It won't be impossible for catastrophically low rolls at pivotal times to cause incredible disasters and gently caress-ups, but a 1 is not an automatic failure. It's just a really low number!

As for Criticals, they'll work as usual but once Confirmed you get a 1d100 Roll. 1-69 = Nothing special happens, so we're ignoring the table's results of splitting x2 to x3 crits as you get higher up for 1-69. If your weapon is x4, you get x4 on a result of 1, 2, 3, 4-69, etc.

Otherwise, Results 70-100 are the same except as noted:

84: Death result changed to Stunned for 1 Round and otherwise as 83.
89/90: Pierce results changed from Death to -2 Combat.
91/92: Death results changed to -2 Combat, otherwise as 90.
93/94: Pierce results changed from Death to Slashing results.
99/100: All Death Results removed and replaced with stunned with 2 Rounds.

Basically I removed all the instant death. If I missed anything or need to adjust it later I will. Otherwise I want the possibility of lethality, but I agree with the idea that not every individual creature should be capable of RNG dice streaks. However, I do think lethality should be possible from specific actions. A kobold throwing his stick with a rock on it shouldn't get lucky and pierce your heart. But if you chase him over a ridge and fall into his lovingly crafted expert kobold trap and it crits, you're in trouble.

Whether or not non-weapon abilities/spells/etc do this will be handled case by case.

If you choose to make Nonlethal Attacks with Lethal Weapons, I'll roll randomly to see what happens if you crit. :buddy:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 13, 2013

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Good rule of thumb is "If you need an attack roll to hit with it, it can crit". So you can crit with an acid arrow (roll to hit), but not a magic missile (resisted by SR) or a lightning bolt (resisted by Reflex save).

Alternately: whether it can crit is based on damage type. Force damage is bludgeoning or slashing depending on the spell (Wall of Force or Mage's Sword), for example, but acid damage like the aforementioned acid arrow can't crit.

As a character with IUS, it seems pertinent to ask: What about weapons that can do lethal/nonlethal at no penalty? I don't want to go accidentally twisting peoples' heads around 720 degrees just because I hit them too hard on the jaw going for a KO.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Well that's why I said case by case. I'd say an "accidental non-lethal" crit with fists just blacks somebody out extra fast. Shooting somebody in the leg with arrows goes much wronger. Good rule of thumb for the "Spells With Attack Rolls" thing though, probably use that.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
At least in vanilla 3.5 that's the rule. If you make an attack roll with it, you can crit with it (and take e.g. Weapon Focus with it).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Rtwo I am loving these illustrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Okay so if someone thinks Vanessa going off to talk to Carbon is a stupid idea say so. Can edit in something about a meaningful glance and head-shaking.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
. wrong thread

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Okay actually I'm a little confused why James is focused on Nessa right now. Did something happen offscreen?
I mean specifically who's the "witness," sort of confused about the interpretation there.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

In Nick's interpretation of events, there is 1 or more persons in his house right now who are suspicious enough to interrogate and/or shoot.

James is summoned to the Sewer Entrance where Lefty, Olimar and P'ui entered. In passing through the area that Trinkley also returns to, they observe that somebody has poisoned a great deal of the manor staff.

Deciding to act in his best self-interest before things get out of hand, James moves to find Jaquelyn. He discovers that she's been robbed since Oreom took her mace, which the Guard left with her can confirm.

With James figuring that anyone associated with Oreom is up to no good, from what he's heard from the Guard, he is the witness in question and is casting blame at you, which is about all Nick needs to confirm that something rotten is afoot.

It's circumstantial evidence as all heck but Nick doesn't seem to be the type bothered by the need for fair trials.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Okay but how is Nessa actually "associated with Oreom"? She entered early on, before Hecate/Thor/Oreom and presumably Nick has entertained multiple parties in a night in the past.
Or is Nick just thinking "any guests tonight are suspect"?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The latter. Of the three "separate" groups of Figuero, Hecate + Oreom + Throgeisl, and Vanessa, all three entered practically at the same time.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Hmmmmmmmm.
Well whatever. Nessa's still going to try to talk him down.

By the way, if anyone were to happen to mention that Carbon had a Mind Flayer hiding down in the basement, pretty sure Nessa would flip her poo poo.
Hint hint.

The hint is for you guys to get up here and start something jeez. Come on.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Hey, doom. I, unexpectedly, work a poo poo ton this week because James is ill. So next few days and through my normal super busy sat-tues I work 10+ hour shifts. Sorry about drop off in activity.

malikial fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 20, 2013

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

S'cool. I wanted to post that I got a job recently and while I expect to keep up daily updates, shooting for once in the morning and once late at night, I'll naturally be harder to reach. So this thread, PMing me or my e-mail are good options for any questions or concerns.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
I'm kinda concerned we're cornered and in a dangerous situation and can't agree on a course of action and may well end up dead, arrested, or possibly enthralled.

That's a concern I have.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well, maybe it's completely in-character for all of us being bickering jerks who can't find a consensus. :shobon:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That's how I'm rolling with it. You guys should use OOC to come to an informed and mutual strategy but I think everything happening so far is pretty in character.

Also bear in mind that time will pass at a slow but steady rate if everybody stands around IC discussing plans but not acting on them.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Well Vanessa's plan right now is to go and kill that mind flayer. Get the device, hopefully without using force, then push past and down.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well that plan may fall apart, as Thorgeisl is tired of this.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

How long does the device take to get going?
Also do I still have a partial turn or did I spend it picking up the thing?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Move to pick it up, stats are as follows.

quote:

Anti-Magic Generator, Demo Unit

Use: Requires two(2) rounds worth of Full Actions to charge, at which point it operates until stopped. Generates a perfect Anti-Magic Zone in a 30 foot sphere centered on it. Any creature that is Undead or requires Magic to live takes 1d6 Force Damage for every round it is inside the zone.

Hardness 5, HP 5/5, AC/F/R/W Null, No Magical Enchantment Protection

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Well that plan may fall apart, as Thorgeisl is tired of this.

Welp. It was good to know you guys. :tipshat:

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013

: "'n what're you supposed to be?"

: "Me? I'm a lantern archon!"

: "'M pretty sure I got no idea what that is."

: "You know, smallest of the celestials? You must have some idea, because I don't actually exist except in your head! I'm a sort of visual hallucination... a narrative device allowing you to ruminate over in-character conflict in a way that lets you share with the group, thus revealing more of your motivations!"

: "None o' that even made a lick o' sense."

: "Let's just say I'm..."

: "Your conscience!"

: "Oh."

: "You've been really bad tonight, Reese."

: "Nobody calls me that here. An' I know."

: "You crossed a line just taking this job. Now you've got all sorts of things to be guilty about -- breaking and entering, theft... you even abandoned your companions at gunpoint to get away by yourself!"

: "Hey! There's nothin' dirty about savin' your own skin!"

: "..."

: "He's a victim of circumstance, see? Caught up in stuff out of necessity! Just needed the money!"

: "That doesn't make any of it right. He didn't even finish the job he was given. What did we get for our trouble, a couple of pieces of mail? Hardly the evidence Richard will need. So everything he did tonight can't even be justified by his gains -- there aren't any."

: "Pah, not Lefty's fault! If that so-called 'Face Team' had done their job and kept Carbon distracted for more than thirty seconds at a time, we coulda all been clean away with a job well done half an hour ago!"

: "You can't blame everyone else. He's the one who set off the alarm. He didn't even check to see if one was there -- it was his own lapse of judgment, so his own fault."

: "Don't matter any, they still kacked up the one job they had. One of 'em even spilled the beans right in front of the enemy, gave the whole job away!"

: "There weren't any guards around. One of the others must have had something to do with that. And there was that duel that almost worked as a feint. Besides, even if they made mistakes, that's no reason to leave them prisoner. Carbon's going to torture them. He said as much outright.

: "He did not! It was... erm... just... heavily implied."

And deep down, Lefty knows that's where he's got him... self, really. He can't leave anyone behind knowing that awaits them.

Gods dammit.

He doesn't even have time to get this wound on his shoulder properly patched up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Have i said how much i love these? Because i really love these. :allears:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

They are seriously the best.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Soviet_Russia(Figuero) is bowing out, so got room for one more to put us back at 8.

Current party is a bunch of angry bastards and Figuero was an Inquisitor, the closest thing they had to a Healy guy. So a Cleric/Druid/Whatever that can provide Band-Aid action would be cool beans. Maybe somebody a bit chipper to help neutralize all the acid flying around the (enjoyable and good) party dynamic. :3:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 4, 2013

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Thinking.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have never played Pathfinder before! Now is a good time to learn! Allons-y!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm grabbing this fat pony. Welcome aboard, Panic!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Here goes! Hope I haven't done anything too horribly wrong.

Edelweiss "Edie" von Altman, Sunlight Maiden

Alright, yes, I understand. I know legions of people would literally kill for what I have. Yes, Father, I am trying to be grateful, do believe me.

But the thing is, as far as I'm concerned, I need a major blessing of Pelor like an owlbear needs a snappy top hat and a cummerbund, understand? All it's done is interfere.

You know what? No, Father, I don't particularly care if that's blasphemy, especially because I know you'll forgive me for it anyway. Not because of my wit, though, or my charming feminine wiles, or even anything I've actually done in life. You'll forgive me because, even though you can't very well see them through the confessional walls, you still know I have the glowing sun glyphs up and down my arms, complete with soot-blackened skin and divine power of His Radiance Pelor the Rude. My own little unwanted gift from the heavens.

That was going a little far? I suppose I can tone it down a tad. You're a priest, not one of those modern phrenologists or whatsit, after all. I am nothing if not accommodating.

But you must admit it is impolite, even for a god, to muddle up some poor little Draunti noble girl's life from the second she exits her mother's embrace. My whole life, I've barely ever been called my own name. Isn't that just the most curious thing? I fear if someone called "maiden" I'd turn my head quicker than if they'd said "Edie." Yes, Father, I understand that fortune comes with responsibility. But they never taught me how to deal with any of that, not a whit. It was embroidery and etiquette classes for me, even though what I really needed were the politics and leadership courses my brother had. I can embroider a mean forget-me-not onto a handkerchief, I tell you what, but if you asked me to be a leader of men, I wouldn't know the first place to start. It is a problem, Father, because I have been asked this several times.

...It was the worst during the war, you know. I was only thirteen when it started, and the Church carted me off to battlefields here and there. I didn't even do real, actual healing there, either; I'd have been satisfied to be a medic, young age or no. All I did was bare my arms and work tiny healing "miracles." They told me the inspiration of having a Sun Maiden in the room with them was worth all the healing in the world, and small as I was, I actually believed them. Much as I respect the Church for its good works, Father, it was when I realized what they were doing that I stopped wanting to play along with their little games. I tell people now, it's a shame for a man to lie to a woman at all, but he should at least wait until her breasts are all the way in so there's some reward, what?

Too ribald for a priest? Come now, Father, we mustn't be caught up in pretense. Goodness, years of etiquette classes and here I am making an improper joke to a priest. Hah! Mother would be furious.

At any rate, that's why I ran away. I was done being paraded around, a pretty glowing thing on a blessed platter. Avoided the idiot war and all its nonsense and found work at a gunsmith's in some little hamlet as far south as I could walk on my weak little legs. It is improper for sacred maidens to exercise, after all, so I was something of a waif at the time, but I found I had something of an affinity for shooting. It was something I could do with these accursed arms that wasn't bloody embroidery, after all. So long as I kept on long sleeves and gloves all the time (bathing became something of a chore, believe me), I found I could live like any other young girl. It was refreshing.

The Church was awfully cross when I came back, though, so I've struck out on my own. Isn't it lovely that I can find help from a church of Pelor so far from home, even when the one at home is so very upset with me? It is a lovely world we live in, Father.

...Father? Are you still there?

Oh, drat.

pre:
Edelweiss "Edie" von Altman
Human Oracle 5, age 21
5'4", 125 lbs.
Chaotic Good

STR 7  (-2)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 12 (+1)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 18 (+4)

Spells per day: Level 1: 7/7
Level 2: 5/5

HP: 40/40
BAB: +3
RAB: +8 (3 BAB + 3 DEX + 1 Weapon focus + 1 enchantment)
Initiative: +3

AC: 21
Fortitude: +2
Reflex: +4
Will: +5

Armor Check Penalty: -4

Favored class bonus: (Add one spell known from the oracle spell list. This spell must be at least one level
below the highest spell level the oracle can cast.)

Traits
Strength of the Sun (+1 to CHA-based checks during the day)
Sacred Touch (May stabilize a dying creature with a touch as a standard action)

Feats
Free: Firearm Proficiency (Can use firearms without a -4 penalty)
Human: Extra Revelation (Pick one more revelation)
Level 1: Weapon Focus: Musket (+1 to attack rolls with muskets)
Level 3: Elemental Focus: Fire (+1 to save DCs against fire)
Level 5: Glorious Heat (Divine [Fire] spells heal one ally within 30ft (spell level) HP and give them +1 morale bonus 
to attack rolls EoNT.)

Curse: Blackened (-4 to weapon attack rolls except firearms. Burning hands (1st), scorching ray (5th), 
flaming sphere (5th), wall of fire (10th), delayed blast fireball (15th).)

Mystery: Heavens
Bonus spells: Color spray (2nd), hypnotic pattern (4th), daylight (6th), rainbow pattern (8th), 
overland flight (10th), chain lightning (12th), prismatic spray (14th), sunburst (16th), meteor swarm (18th).

Revelations: Lure of the Heavens (Leave no tracks. Hover up to 6in from 5th level. Fly 1min/level at 10th level.)
Coat of Many Stars (+4 armor bonus 1hr/day/level, increases +2 at levels 7, 11, 15, 19. DR5/slashing at 13th level.)
Spray of Shooting Stars (Standard action 5-foot radius fireball burst, 1d4/level fire damage, ref half. 60ft range. 
1/day/5 levels. Can fire multiple with one action.)

Skills
Craft				+1     (+1 int)
Diplomacy 			+9/10  (+5, +4 cha, +1 during the day)
Fly 				+7     (+4, +3 dex)
Heal				+1     (+1 wis)
Knowledge (Arcana) 		+5     (+4, +1 int)
Knowledge (History)		+1     (+1 int)
Knowledge (Planes)		+1     (+1 int)
Knowledge (Religion) 		+4     (+3, +1 int)
Perception 			+6     (+5, +1 wis)
Profession			+1     (+1 wis)
Sense Motive 			+6     (+5, +1 wis)
Spellcraft 			+5     (+4, +1 int)
Survival			+1     (+1 wis)

Spells known
Level 0: 6 + 2 (favored class)
Detect Magic 		0	Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Enhanced Diplomacy	0	+2 on one Diplomacy or Intimidate check.
Guidance 		0	+1 on one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.
Resistance		0	Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
Spark			0	Ignites flammable objects.
Create Water		0	Creates 2 gallons/level of pure water.
Detect Poison		0	Detects poison in one creature or object.
Light			        0	Object shines like a torch for 10min/level.

Level 1: 4 + 2 (favored class) + 3 (bonus spells)
Cure Light Wounds	1	Cures 1d8 damage + 1/level (max +5).
Color Spray		1	Knocks unconscious, blinds, and/or stuns weak creatures.
Burning Hands		1	1d4/level fire damage (max 5d4).
Ray of Sickening	1	Ray makes the subject sickened.
Shield of Faith		1	Aura grants +2 or higher deflection bonus.
Sun Metal		1	Cause a melee weapon to erupt in flames, dealing extra damage.
Bless			1	Allies gain +1 on attack rolls and saves against fear.
Doom			1	One subject takes –2 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks.
Obscuring Mist		1	Fog surrounds you.

Level 2: 2 + 4 (bonus spells) + 1 (ring)
Cure Moderate Wounds	2	Cures 2d8 damage + 1/level (max +10).
Hypnotic Pattern	2	Fascinates 2d4 + level HD of creatures.
Scorching Ray		2	Ranged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, + 1 ray/four levels (max 3).
Flaming Sphere		2	Rolling ball of fire deals 3d6 fire damage.
Bull's Strength		2	Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
Oracle's Burden		2	Creature is affected by negative oracle's curse effects.

Inventory
1260 gold
+1 Musket "Franziska"
+1 Breastplate
Beneficial Bandolier (Teleports bullets into gun as a swift action. Not kidding. 1000 gold well spent :v: )
+1 Black-Iron Buckler (Resist 5 Negative)
Ring of Spell Knowledge II (Additional spell slot of level 1 or 2.)
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
50x Firearm bullet
3x Smoke bullet
Gunsmith's kit
e: whoops, forgot to add con mod to HP every level.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

like an owlbear needs a snappy top hat and a cummerbund

• Locked thread