Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
I just noticed but it seems plutonis got probated for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm aware. I know the dope on IRC/Steam.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 18, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yoooo can we get some levels along with that rest? :3

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

No.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Worth a try.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
So, um.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bad mood burn out, failure to update makes mood worse, thinking about game makes mood worse, should probably just close game to stop feeling bad, near the end so whatever should just tough it out, see first 3 points, thinking of just using a hiatus pause until feeling better/more inspired

but naturally that'll be as good as just closing it

trying really hard not to knee-jerk type as many curse words as I can

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother, take a rest or something. Being burned out like that sounds pretty bad :(.

Seriously this is the second longest running game here I am in, and its near a close so I really wanna see it get to a nice conclusion!

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 29, 2014

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Updates resuming Saturday the 9th.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
This is the second Doomgame I've been in that stalled out when we went to court.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'll have to rethink starting my next campaign with a court scene.

BTW we're back.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hash... :(

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
:colbert:

We're not doing this court poo poo to lose it, guys. Start thinking back to things you did! Rereading the last twenty pages of thread sucks but c'mon some of this stuff would have been one session ago at most if this was a table game.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
I've tried to say it in-character, but there's really very little meaningful drama behind this conflict. Assuming our information is correct*, Thistleweave holds another demon. We're going to go get into a fight with him whether it's in this courtroom, his own backalley hideout, or the Society HQ. So who cares whether we win or lose right here and now?

* - As given to us by an NPC who's better connected, better respected, better informed, and more powerful than we are, and isn't helping us anyway**

** - That there is such a person, off on their own investigation, is part of the failings of the Society as a whole regardless of who's in charge. The court is arguing minutae to the loss of the greater broad-strokes issue, but pointing that out didn't get us anywhere either.

Rtwo fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 21, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Quornes posted:

Thadius

Thadius just continues to watch. Law has never been his strong suit, except for the bits applying to his profession. He's out of his depths here. For the most part he just sits quietly next to Hector

quote:

Bluff +11 = 10 + 1 Cha

Try faking it. Seriously guys the only thing that's making this a drag is how little everybody is trying.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Well I'm a little unsure what our goals actually are.
"Putting Thistleweave in prison" doesn't seem like it would actually go down, and Nessa's/my plan has generally been that actually blocking the transfer, even if our charges aren't proven, will be enough to cause Thistleweave to lose face/support and get super frustrated and freak out.
Going for a full conviction seems super risky, since if we fail to actually prove our claims then Thistleweave will just start gloating and slip away, probably.

Anyway that's at least why I've been still been having Nessa pound on this "it's only a civil issue" thing. She's dropping it now anyway, on to the conviction.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Ok let's see what happens

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013

Mirthless posted:

Try faking it. Seriously guys the only thing that's making this a drag is how little everybody is trying.

It's a drag because there's no way of telling whether we're making any progress toward the goal that, as I said above, is awfully damned hard to care about.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

*strong bad voice* ITS OVER

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Although it's still pretty much over, I did want to talk to the players and wrap it up a bit more nicely while acknowledging the fatigue that has built up.

You've got the idea of what I was generally going to shoot for. I could pretty things up a bit more, but mostly I'd like to get an idea of what each PC does at the end of the arcs... Barnabus is exposed as possessed, his devil is defeated, the world is shown the dangers you saw at Ostorn directly. You're all pretty sore at Phous, pretty sore at Richard, pretty sore at society at large. See if you stay with the Sensationalists, switch sides, or just retire or go solo?

And yes, I do plan to do a second SBM campaign. More details later, but I'm interested in those who've played in SBM1 to get into SBM2. But you'd have to be interested naturally and I wouldn't want to see any of the bad habits that built up with the fatigue. Sure, it was my fault they came about in the first place... I still think the court scene had a few bits of bad form I wouldn't want to see again and I think they'd be smoothed out if I politely ask you to avoid doing it again.

so hey, discuss. no rush, much like the entire gat danged arc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Huh well... Kinda sudden to do this but I'm really down for a sequel campaign or whatever. That being said, regarding Hecate:

-She would definitely not let Tinsy and Randall die. That's why I refrained from using Level 5 spells so I could Breath of Life one of them if they got killed!

-Being possessed by the same demon that had her family killed uhhh only chance of that happening would be unwillingly because otherwise her character development pretty much made her a "good girl".

-Raising Helena's old servants would be interesting, although she would do so only if they agreed with repenting for the stuff they did as Helena's servants and working to save the world now.

-If Phous arrived, would at first trying to negotiate with him, explain the situation and say that she would need to examine the manor further to get more information on the Demon's plans and use its resources to thwart them. If he still wanted trouble, well, poo poo would probably go down.

-If he agreed, she would continue on the society but use the Duskborn Manor as a secondary base alongside the one at Ostorn. Otherwise she would declare her lands as independant from Draunt and create Eberron's Karrnath an intelligent undead state and gather the undead that once served the Illithid to live there as free... zombies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
For my part, Nessa would've ended up giving a big "gently caress you" to Phous and Richard and stuck around Flora indefinitely.
It didn't come up explicitly, but during the war Nessa was turned to the flayers, becoming the "Scourge of the North" and leading a fairly significant flayer army all around loving up her homeland. She's mentioned occasionally that she doesn't have a home to return to; it's because she literally burned it herself, killing her family and old neighbors and everything else in the vicinity, turning the area into inhospitable wasteland.
According to Nessa, the king of Draunt deliberately chose not to reinforce those living in the borderlands, including Nessa's homeland. These areas had higher populations and acceptance of demihumans, and the idea was (supposedly) to let the local soldiers bear the brunt of the first waves, get thinned out, and then not be in a position to argue after the war when the king would decide to "repopulate" the areas or whatever. From her perspective, the king, and by extension loyalists like Phous, were unforgivably evil. The king's plan had succeeded, with most of those living on the outskirts thinned out, and the central and well-defended pure capital remaining strong.
Finally, the deep secret that Nessa and other members of the Order of the Iron Bar believe is that Pelor is only a mask for Zarus, god of humans. In their minds, the pro-human position of Draunt is a result of influence from the Zaran cult, extended through the church of "Pelor." The church often refused to send its priests to the outskirts during the earliest stages of the war, and placed many restrictions on how they could act. The Order of the Iron Bar was created in response, by those on the fringes, in order to use divine powers to combat the flayers without the restrictions imposed by the church. A deep part of the Order is that they place none of their faith in the gods, only in their own conviction and purpose, yet can wield divine powers just the same. The church of Pelor and the Draunti kingdom are one, a cover for the machinations of Zarus, who has largely succeeded. This success came at the cost of Nessa's homeland (again, in her mind at least), leading to her extreme distaste at both Draunt and the church of Pelor.

So, considering all that, the three things I could imagine Nessa doing are:
- Stick to Flora as her bodyguard. Protecting the weak tends to override Nessa's other concerns, and she owes Flora a deep debt for helping to destroy Carbon and the mansion. Most likely option, but most boring.
- Snap, and return to Draunt, joining some kind of rebellion to bring down the king and church.
- Become Y'Vresnah full time, deciding that her purpose is to make sure that these devil things are put down in order to clear the way for her masters' glorious return (in a few billion years). She'd probably get the "envy cursed item" here.
- Secret fourth option: Go find Hecate, hang out. Hecate was the first actual friend Nessa had developed since all her other friends got horribly killed by flayers.

I think the game was pretty fun.
Truth be told, I originally joined as a melee fighter (of the shittiest of the melee fighter classes) for kicks, since I hate Pathfinder, and I thought the game was supposed to be sort of a joke. And, from my experience, all of my problems with the game really did boil down to it being run in Pathfinder. It made me not want to take risks or move forward, and this game has really helped to solidify my position of "gently caress skills." The game pretty quickly went from being a joke to actually something I had emotional investment in, but then it was still being run in Pathfinder.
I'm totally up for round two, if you want. Despite my moaning about Pathfinder, there are still some psionic classes I want to try out, and I can generally offset the worst aspects of PF by thinking things through a little more ahead of time.

• Locked thread