Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fanzay posted:

Tycho, this needs to be the top image of the OP, like right loving now yesterday.

yeah seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
-fleets will run away if outgunned
-new nebulae
-lots of AI fixes
-new Mt Dew flavor added, "Goonberry Splash"

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Streaming now. Mostly playtesting, so interesting to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/marauderinteractive

e: And it's over. Good music, good fun.

Kiavahr fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 23, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That's lookin really, really good.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

That's lookin really, really good.

It'd look even better from a shortcut on your desktop. :v:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I'm watching yesterday's livestream and christ alive this is looking fantastic.

My only criticism so far would be that the sound effect for the warp drive used to be very abrupt/aggressive and seems to have been softened a bit too much - the earlier style seemed much more badass, like you're smacking spacetime with sheer violence in order to get where you want to go which kind of fits with the attitude of your fleet.

That is all I can find to criticize :)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

TheMostFrench posted:

Enemy Goonfighter
Ugh, can goons please stop injecting their own brand of humor into every single game developed by goons in some sort of...
I take it back :stare:

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
Watching the stream, what comes up? Robot rock. For a moment I thought it was the soundtrack, it fits so perfectly.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Banano posted:

I'm watching yesterday's livestream and christ alive this is looking fantastic.

My only criticism so far would be that the sound effect for the warp drive used to be very abrupt/aggressive and seems to have been softened a bit too much - the earlier style seemed much more badass, like you're smacking spacetime with sheer violence in order to get where you want to go which kind of fits with the attitude of your fleet.

That is all I can find to criticize :)

I totally agree about coming out of warp. I need to beef it up. It worked much better when there was a state change from tactical to the cockpit. Now it's a bit like warping in EVE since you're always in the pilot's seat, but more violence is on the to-do list. Violence is always on the to-do list.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Kairo posted:

Violence is always on the to-do list.

This should be the thread title.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
It ain't called Friendly Neighbourhood Starfighter now is it!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kairo posted:

Violence is always on the to-do list.

Some of the best spaceships in film had the most horrendous engine noises, Mr Tie fighter I'm looking at you. Think 'throaty growling', and I think you tap into something primal.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hav posted:

Some of the best spaceships in film had the most horrendous engine noises, Mr Tie fighter I'm looking at you. Think 'throaty growling', and I think you tap into something primal.

Whaaaa? The TIE fighter has to be the coolest sounding ship in the genre.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

When I hear TIE Fighters pass by all I can think of is spinal taps. :smith:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Hav posted:

It's "primal" and "throaty growling" because it's a modified/layered elephant scream! :D

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And the Millennium Falcon's engine noise contains a lion roar. The foley work on Star Wars was amazing. Another example is the blaster sound effects were high tension wire being struck with a metal object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTbtHVFyKoQ&t=100s

Whole thing is worth a watch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't awesome (It's actually pretty iconic now), but it's not a pleasant noise.

Kairo posted:

It's "primal" and "throaty growling" because it's a modified/layered elephant scream! :D

I read that they got some components from an A/C fan in a motel room they were staying at...Maybe for Slave rather than the TIE?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hav posted:

Haha what the gently caress? The TIE fighter engine sound is one of the most iconic sound effects in film.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Hav posted:

Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't awesome (It's actually pretty iconic now), but it's not a pleasant noise.

I read that they got some components from an A/C fan in a motel room they were staying at...Maybe for Slave rather than the TIE?

Part of the blaster bolt shot was something like hitting a wrench on a high-tension wire. Ben Burtt is basically a sound wizard.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Haha what the gently caress? The TIE fighter engine sound is one of the most iconic sound effects in film.

He meant "horrendous" in a good way, just like people were talking about the "violent" warping sound effect earlier. The second sentence in his post is a hint to this effect if you care to look for context clues.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

This is probably the most violent jump sequence ever.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Hav posted:

I think the A/C sound was used for the rebel flagship at the battle of endor?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sad to say I didn't really pay attention to this game until now. That movie style poster is amazing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Illectro

Ok got the jealous rage out of my system. Sorry about that. Carry on.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Klyith posted:

Great, now what am I going to do with this massive space boner?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

oh my god

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I just feel I have to apologise for being terrible at playing and talking at the same time, you can probably hear the giant grin on my face.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

illectro posted:

I just feel I have to apologise for being terrible at playing and talking at the same time, you can probably hear the giant grin on my face.

It's actually really informative when you watch someone play imperfectly, because that's how we'll be playing 90 times out of 100. It looks really great in motion. I feel like I've got the real feel of the game for the video. However, this does nothing to change my opinion. It's still a minute one purchase for me.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

illectro posted:

you can probably hear the giant grin on my face.

it makes a subtle sort of fizzing noise.

If you could just make a dozen or so more videos that'd be great (per hour)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

illectro posted:

You jammiest of gits, atleast you didn't ram into anything until well over halfway through. Incidentally, the music in the game is amazing and the sounds are superb and I just cannot wait to throw money at the game, mostly just so I have something to play with my new joystick and Rift.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

For some reason I couldn't care any less about Star Citizen, ES it where it's at for me.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ringo Star Get posted:

For some reason I couldn't care any less about Star Citizen, ES it where it's at for me.

Probably because this is a real game that will actually fulfill expectations

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Man, those missiles spiralling around the fighter before impacting looked really loving cool.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

Probably because this is a real game that will actually fulfill expectations

And it actually exists.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
And we all know there will be Dickbutt easter egg.

Add a few layers of tactical and strategic complexity and this is the game I've been waiting 10 years to play.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RPS has some tidbits too. Out of curiosity, did a build get sent to Giant Bomb? I know Patrick over there has expressed interest (and regret that he couldn't check it out at PAX.)

quote:

Elite: Dangerous makes you feel like your piloting a spaceship. Enemy Starfighter makes you feel like you’re piloting a gun.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 25, 2014

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I am so happy the shields are not made of hexagons.

:spergin:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Eastbound Spider posted:

I am so happy the shields are not made of hexagons.

:spergin:

Or that there's cover mechanics, somehow, in a space game.

"Enemy Starfighter, get to that machine gun!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

OBJECTIVE: Starfighter, do everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hold L-Trigger to duck behind your dashboard and pray.

• Locked thread