Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cathair posted:

Anyway, mouse control doesn't affect me much for this game because I intend to use a controller, but fwiw the Freelancer style of 'virtual joystick with deadzone in the center of the screen' is the only kind of mouse flight control I've ever liked. The lazy-rear end scheme that directly correlates mouse movement to crosshair movement, requiring constant dragging and lifting to make any large adjustments, can go suck a fat one.

I don't think anyone is advocating for a mouse control scheme that requires you to constantly drag the mouse for continuous movement. Because that scheme would be horseshit. Virtual joystick with deadzone in center is literally Privateer 2. Freelancer is having that while also having the guns shoot where the cursor is on top - that's the bad part.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I liked Freelancer but the control was bit weird at first because it was different from other spaceshipgames such as Freespace, then realized it was due to turrets.

I think War Thunder has KBAM done well, enabling players to control planes with ease in both Arcade and Realistic battles. X axis for yaw, Y axis for pitch and A/D for roll left/right control scheme is really easy to use.

And then there is Planetside 2 in which the game refuses to let me change plane control so I have to end up using X axis as roll. Furiously annoying because when you pitch with mouse you end up rolling too unless you move your mouse extremely accurately.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

TheDemon posted:

I liked Freelancer and think it did a good job presenting an open-world game with fighting / trading / exploration elements but that didn't need a spreadsheet to play. They really nailed the atmosphere in many places, and the world felt populated with police/neutrals/criminals everywhere. I still remember the first time I hit one of the more-contested jump holes and spawned into a massive bounty hunter vs corsair furball.

My favorite atmosphere thing in Freelancer was discovering that the planets were barely larger than my spaceship, which becomes painfully apparent once you get close enough to bump into their models. Also, feel free to call me a dumb sperglord, but any game with convenient spacehighways and super short distances everywhere doesn't feel very spacey to me.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Cathair posted:

I feel like there's a big pile of money waiting for whoever decides to make a Freelancer remake that addresses even a few of the original's shortcomings, but no one's stepped up yet.

There's around $90m and counting. If that gets turned into a game or a cocaine overdose remains to be seen.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

There's around $90m and counting. If that gets turned into a game or a cocaine overdose remains to be seen.

The latter would be far far more entertaining.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

I'll put an option in so the real men of mouse space sims can play it like Privateer 2 if they want.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kairo posted:

I'll put an option in so the real men of mouse space sims can play it like Privateer 2 if they want.

Normally that wouldn't help, but since the center screen aiming is the thing your balancing for anyway, (that's what the gamepads use in ES right?), putting in a Privateer 2 option would be great.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 31, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aesis posted:

I think War Thunder has KBAM done well, enabling players to control planes with ease in both Arcade and Realistic battles.

War Thunder is the best non-joystick control scheme for a flight sim I've ever encountered. I fired it up during beta without a joystick by mistake (it wasn't plugged in,) and decided to try a match for giggles, and to double check that my video settings were OK, and was blown away.

In fact, I don't think I've ever even configured my Warthog for War Thunder, because I just enjoy it so much as an arcade game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I still don't quite know how War Thunder does what it does with mouse control. I suspect it's fudging the physics to some extent, but it feels amazingly good without ever giving you the impression that your doing anything the plane can't do. There's a little free prototype called Venus Patrol about flying prop planes on Venus and it did a mouse keyboard scheme for a prop plane that is mindblowing in how well it works without automating anything. Both of those should really be mandatory playing for anyone doing a flight sim of any kind.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've been told the mouse controls introduced by WW1 flight sime Rise of Flight a few months back are quick good, but I've not personally given them a try since I have an X52.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Blog.

Blog. posted:

9/1 Update

PAX

A lot of people were up here in Seattle for PAX. This is great because even though I didn't end up showing Starfighter at the show, I was able to run many friends from out of town through the game. Many of them haven't played it yet, so it was great having fresh eyes on it.

Feedback was positive, especially for the cockpit combat, but there was some consistent feedback about the campaign mode framework that I'd like to address. These fixes don't involve adding major new features, just rearranging some mechanics that are already present and streamlining other aspects of the mode.

I'll talk more about this when the changes are ready.

So (surprise!) I'll be taking a little more time and fixing these issues, but that will just make for a shorter and better alpha/beta experience for everyone. It'll be ready when it's ready, but no one wants this out more than me.

Why not just open the game up into Early Access and get feedback that way?

You basically get one shot at launch, Early Access or not, so it had better be good. Wave Clear is there and fun, but it's not enough to launch and then hold back the other mode.

Another aspect is the scope of feedback you receive from a large pool of participants. Detail-oriented feedback on balance, UI, and whatnot is great from a large group of people because it gives you a really good sample to pull from.

But I don't believe a large group is ideal for offering feedback about the issues above, especially when under the unique constraints present with ES. I'm much more comfortable looking to other devs for feedback on these things. If it were a pure PvP game, or sandbox-MP game (Rust, DayZ, etc), that would be a different story!

Until next time!

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 4, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This is going to have the best mods

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

How go the rumors for this game's mod support? I don't recall reading much about it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

doctorfrog posted:

How go the rumors for this game's mod support? I don't recall reading much about it.

Kairo promised integration for Dwarf Fortress, so that your dwarves will eventually be able to develop, launch, and pilot starships from their forts. When you return to the site of a fort in adventure mode, you'll be able to see the launch site, and read up on the pilot.

"This Enemy Starfighter is of the highest craftdwarfsmanship. It is festooned with spikes of elephant. It contains an image of Starfighters and dwarves. The dwarves are screaming. It commemorates the time that Bluewagons ToothsDwarf piloted his Enemy Starfighter into the bridge conning tower of a battlecruiser."

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really need some of whatever you're on Muffet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's not what I heard, though? It was how the game would use hooks left in Star Citizen to allow ES players to join the glorious and imminent MMO as a ghost pirate faction.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

You basically get one shot at launch, Early Access or not, so it had better be good. Wave Clear is there and fun, but it's not enough to launch and then hold back the other mode.

What you need is some kind of early-Early Access. For goons.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Alchenar posted:

This.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

That's it, I'm asking for a refund on my pledge.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Thirsty Dog posted:

That's it, I'm asking for a refund on my pledge.

this.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Alchenar posted:

He had it, you're just not goon enough for it.

And neither am I :(

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Buncha j4ES jerks in this thread.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Smash mouthKairo eatrelease the eggsgame

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

we have met the enemy starfighter, and he is us

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah but seriously though.

We are the enemy starfighter, right? I keep getting confused.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Psycho Society posted:

Don't spoil the endgame. In which an amalgam of our earlier endgame fleets confront us on the enemy homeworld and utterly decimate us.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Sick cross-game spoiler references in here. I think.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Do a reverse-Ender's Game where it turns out your character was playing a video game all the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

We aren't not the Enemy Starfighters, no.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alchenar posted:

Do a reverse-Ender's Game where it turns out your character was playing a video game all the time.

the video screen becomes a book that gets slammed shut and Peter Falk's voice tells you there's tomorrow night you'll hear more about his days as an Enemy Starfighter.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Orv posted:

We aren't not the Enemy Starfighters, no.

Read the Constitution.

It says all starfighters. Foregnemy and domestic steam sales.

Full auto glock is my right as a Kaironican.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Only Constitution I believe in is the NCC-1701.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The government doesn't have the right to lock on to me with their transporters.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Not my galactic overlord

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Occupy the Bridge!!!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Guys, I'm telling you. The "Heretic On Board" bumper stickers are a goldmine waiting to happen. Anyone who'd want to complain will be too dead to ask for a refund.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Nation posted:

Not my galactic overlord

#notallgalacticwarlords

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

#starfighterlivesmatter

Orv
May 4, 2011
They specifically don't! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Spoken like a true pod-popper!

You disgust me.

• Locked thread