Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Psycho Landlord posted:

In FS2's defense, there ends up being a pretty drat compelling reason for that course of action.

Oh yeah, absolutely - FS2 is a masterpiece of storytelling when you get stuck into it. It's also a nice callback to one of your wingmen in the previous mission: "I can live with being a pawn if the game makes sense!" And the general vibe of FS2 where you're just a cog in the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I am going to chime in that I am eagerly awaiting this, I had actually managed to miss the existence (or pre existence?) of Enemy Starfighter but the trailer definitely presses all of the right buttons.

It comes across as a sort of cross between Homeworld and Dune when it comes to inspiration while the new name is definitely evocative of Fading Suns. Also the tagline 'Hunt The Traitor Lords, Bring Ruin To Their People' is pretty much amazing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
not sure i like the name, it makes it sound like a zombie shooter

also, "sun"? is the whole game set in a single star system? is there no ftl travel in this game?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Mordja posted:

I hope level scores are rated in warcrimes.

The unit of measurement should be Hagues. Kilohagues, Megahagues
(I don't know what what Space War Crimes Court would be called)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Space Hague 5000.

Don't overthink it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the writing's good, it's got that fanatical self-righteous air to it

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Cheap Trick posted:

The unit of measurement should be Hagues. Kilohagues, Megahagues
(I don't know what what Space War Crimes Court would be called)

They're measured in Gihrens obviously

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It should clearly be Turbohitlers

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

RangerKarl posted:

:eyepop:
I like your style

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

RangerKarl posted:

This is not an emptyquote.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

RangerKarl posted:

How much is a Gihren on the Ghengis system?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

warhammer651 posted:

How much is a Gihren on the Ghengis system?

Ghengis got, what, 40 million people? That puts a single Gihren at around 120-160 Ghengises.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 29, 2016

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Hey Kairo, min. specs for GPUs on the Steam page are 'NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290'. I've been able to run all the Vive games I've tried on my AMD 280x pretty much perfectly, do you think I'll be alright with HotDS?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

H2Eau posted:

Hey Kairo, min. specs for GPUs on the Steam page are 'NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290'. I've been able to run all the Vive games I've tried on my AMD 280x pretty much perfectly, do you think I'll be alright with HotDS?

That's the recommended specification, not the minimum.
Minimum requirement is just "DirectX 9.0c compatible, 2048 MB of VRAM ".

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Aah! I've been off the 'net for the past week, and I didn't hear about this 'til just now!

I'm sad that it won't have the infinite variety of procgen, but if it was going to be poo poo then I guess I'm glad Kairo had the sense to cut it.
I am still going to throw my money through the screen when it's available in EA.

Kairo; any chance that the procgen aspect will see some use in the wave-clear mode?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

The_White_Crane posted:

Kairo; any chance that the procgen aspect will see some use in the wave-clear mode?

Random wave makeup and terrain variant selection, most likely. The solar system generation and stuff, highly unlikely.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mostly kept this game out of my mind but with the Steam release purportedly being in June I have to say Kairo the game looks to be really good. Good luck with everything.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

It's now June and I am still unable to preorder this in order to cancel the preorder in disgust drat you Kairo.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Please let us buy the game and play it, Kairo!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Don't listen to them Kairo! Continue to pull a Valve and just keep going, "Soon.".

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Skoll posted:

Don't listen to them Kairo! Continue to pull a Valve and just keep going, "Soon.".
:argh: I have nothing to play!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Aesis posted:

If you like the single player space sim genre and can afford an extra $5 then check out Eterium, which is an homage to the classics of the genre and also a one-man indie project.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Aesis posted:

Space sim games paying homage to Homeworld style graphics:
Strike Suit Zero
Void Destroyer

And if you don't want to spend any money make sure you play Diaspora: Shattered Armistice

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I had a vague memory of another indie space sim but it looks like http://www.wingsofstnazaire.com/ had a total of 2 updates last year in Jan and September and the forum is full of 'is this dead?' posts. They say it's not, but it's a sorta tough to be optimistic.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
St Nazaire was a part time thing they were doing in the middle of their studies, wasn't it? Not surprised it's in hiatus. Hell of a graduation project though, if you think about it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

Rebel Galaxy :colbert:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

illectro posted:

Space sim games paying homage to Homeworld style graphics:
Strike Suit Zero
Void Destroyer

And if you don't want to spend any money make sure you play Diaspora: Shattered Armistice

Void Destroyer 2 not making 10k on kickstarter despite having a playable prototype and a successfully released first game is ridiculous, especially for the genre it's in. loving Roberts could have funded that with a single whale (and the game would be done before his).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 1, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Aesis posted:

The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine
Stellaris 1.1 patch
Renowned Explorers DLC came out

I am having the opposite problem!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tomorrow is the first Thursday of June. Thursday is a traditional new release day on steam, alongside Tuesday.

You know what you must do, Kairo. :colbert:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Tomorrow is the first Thursday of June. Thursday is a traditional new release day on steam, alongside Tuesday.

You know what you must do, Kairo. :colbert:

Post the game to Green Light? :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

kairo if you don't release the game by this time next week I swear to god I will give chris roberts AND derek smart money for their space games

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

kairo if you don't release the game by this time next week I swear to god I will give chris roberts AND derek smart money for their space games

Shots fired :drat:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nooo fellow goon you have so much to live for! Anything but that!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:zenpop:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Kairo's game still has better procedural generation than Star Citizen.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was really hoping that slip that showed "June 2nd" temporarily instead of just "June" was true. Oh well!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's June 3rd and there's still no release. Seriously considering legal action right now.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Aesis posted:

Starpoint Gemini 2 (with all the DLC's installed) is a real good space opera game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Jehde posted:

It's June 3rd and there's still no release. Seriously considering legal action right now.
If you sort the upcoming games list on Steam by date, it sits with a bunch of other stuff coming out next Tuesday (the 7th). I'm holding all my insane conspiracy rants until then.

• Locked thread