Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
This looks pretty drat cool!

I have just one question:
If all other allied fighters have been destroyed, do you get Death Blossom (a weapon of last resort)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

... If you die, you can activate a clone but you lose all your dread. This encourages you to spend your dread ...

So what you're saying is that I ought to burn my dread? Sorry...

Anyway, that all sounds awesome as gently caress. I didn't actually realise it was going to be procedurally generated!
That's awesome news; replayability is the best thing.

I love the idea that you have to win the engagements within a limited timeframe before reinforcements arrive.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I was born with a lazy left eye and it didn't get corrected (read: kid me hated those patches) and ended up amblyopic and stereoblind, so I've only got inferential depth perception techniques like parallax to go by. Makes trying to take a left turn at night without a stoplight suck total rear end, I tell you what! :v:

Normally the left eye is effectively "off" (it's not, really, but it's like trying to explain color to someone blind from birth, so vOv), but with the Rift it wouldn't have a choice. My guess would be the two disparate images would refuse to combine and I'd get a violent fucker of a headache, so the immersion part would be a bust too. But I'd love to find out for sure!

I'm really late to the party on this, but I have amblyopia resulting from strabismus, and I can confirm that the Rift is still loving awesome.
Because the image on each screen is a whole image in its own right, it doesn't matter that you can't integrate them; you get pretty much the same effect you do from looking at reality - you don't get the 3D perception that normal folk do, but it's still really immersive.

That said, I don't know exactly how your eyes work so it'd still be wise to give it a try before you buy it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I want this game with a raw priapic lust that renders me incapable of locomotion.

Good show! :golfclap:

Especially since Elite ended up looking kinda disappointing and I decided not to get it...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yesssss... :black101:
Cannot. loving. Wait.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

HardDisk posted:

Except for the different button labels, I really can't see how different the control scheme would be vs a 360 pad.

Unless he managed to do something fancy with the speakers or the touchpad.

Having looked at the screenshots, I think he's done something clever with generic icons which should work for either pad.
The issue presumably is the whole DirectInput VS xInput thing they have going on behind the scenes...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Aah! I've been off the 'net for the past week, and I didn't hear about this 'til just now!

I'm sad that it won't have the infinite variety of procgen, but if it was going to be poo poo then I guess I'm glad Kairo had the sense to cut it.
I am still going to throw my money through the screen when it's available in EA.

Kairo; any chance that the procgen aspect will see some use in the wave-clear mode?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Played the first five missions or so.
drat but this is solid.

Seconding:
- The royal guard took too long to warp out and I also abandoned them by accident. At the very least we need a prompt to tell us that we have to wait.
- I also did not notice the ammo indicators on the weapons.

Question:
- For the Wave Clear mode, will we get a fleet as we survive longer, or is it just going to be us in one interceptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Mmph, I'm liking the daily challenge stuff!
Some questions:

Would it be possible to have the game archive old challenge runs, so you could go back and replay them, complete with a set of records-to-beat?

Might you add some way to reconfigure your upgrades mid-challenge; not on the fighter you're currently flying, but on whatever fighter is next spawned, so you can say "Okay, next time I get a fighter I want it to have Afterburners and a Flak Drone instead of Shields and AP Ammo.

Is there any chance/would it be a good idea if there were some way to earn new destroyers as well as new fighters, maybe every five waves or something?

• Locked thread