Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010
There are a lot things I really like from that first trailer in the OP. I'm very intrigued by the idea of coming up with your own tactical plan of engagement for each mission. Kind of like a Rainbow Six/SWAT but in space. I imagine orchestrating operations where your forces jump in for a blitzkrieg surprise attack, complete the objective, and get back out before enemy reinforcements can respond.

I also love all of the little touches in the audio. The realistic sounding radio chatter, the sound of your pilot breathing through his oxygen mask, the way the ship engines and explosions tend towards low vibrating rumbles. I find a lot of space combat games out there tend towards an extremely arcadey style that I've always thought feels shallow and flippant. Touches like this though give the game a kind of gravity and sense of realism that harkens back to glory days of Freespace, Starlancer, Tachyon, etc.

Lastly, I do dig the art style. It gives the game a very clean look that is easy to parse even with loads of stuff going on. It's abstract enough to give a nostalgic retro feel, yet combined with the nice audio touches it still feels immersive. If the developer does get an artist on board, I hope they can refine the visuals without losing the sweet spot they're in right now.

Very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
While the idea for the lead indicator is cool in theory, I think it will be frustrating to use in practice.

Notice how the location of the indicator relative to your cross-hair floats around. You have to mentally manage three variables at once now: the direction of your ship, the position of the enemy on the screen, and the position of the lead indicator on the screen. You're steering your ship to try to nudge this floating green circle on top of the enemy, rather than just pointing your cross-hairs at a moving lead indicator. It seems backwards because it's adding an unnecessary layer of abstraction to whole thing.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's a lot easier to hit an evasive target by knowing where your shots are going to go than it is by aiming at him using his current trajectory IMO.

Assuming you can keep up when the targeting response to your control input isn't instantly predictable. To me it looks like the difference between pushing a coin around with a stick and actually putting your finger on it and moving it where you want it to go.

Maybe muscle memory and practice helps to compensate, but when I imagine dropping this system into a game like Freespace with very quick and erratic enemies it becomes an exercise in frustration.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The situation seems ironic because in my mind the color-coding was only meaningful because it contradicted such a fundamental design convention. If you could somehow keep it without subverting player expectations, would it still be interesting?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
So in a way is this coming back to the pre-planned mission design of the original prototype? Is this more like Rainbow Six in space again? That was also a really cool concept.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Only played one mission 'cos i gotta leave for work but I'm pleased as punch so far

I have an EDtracker and was hoping to set it up as a TrackIR source, but no dice, game seems to think it's a controller. I know it's not really on your priority list Kairo but any thoughts on making this work?

I mean I guess I could buy a proper TrackIR for this (and E:D for that matter if that game ever bloody improves) but I'd like to use what I have if I can

That's actually because it is just a 3-axis joystick as far as Windows knows. You need to use OpenTrack to make it masquerade as a TrackIR device. I just set mine up following these instructions and it works perfectly. Have you tried using that?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The game really shows all of the polish and iteration that's gone into it over the years. While the short missions work well, the game seems like it's asking for some longer and more complex scenarios too. Kairo, for future work have you thought about trying missions with just a couple of points of interest to warp between, kind of like a miniature hand-crafted sandbox? Maybe there's a feasible middle ground to bring back some of strategic gameplay from the open world concept but still keep the encounters tightly scripted.

For example, you might have a mission to assault a military depot which is supported by a listening post a short jump away. Taking out the listening post first will stop reinforcements from out of system but also put the depot on high alert. Or you could feint an attack on the listening post and jump the depot from a different direction after it sends help. Or you can just blitz the depot straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Haha, you aren't kidding it's actually there. Tell us the truth Kairo! :tinfoil:

• Locked thread