Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Soshi Masami

Masami sniffs disdainfully as she takes note of the fight. Brawl or duel, this was not the place for such a thing. She had expected decorum would erode in such a place, but the immediate proof of that hardly boded well. It was not a thing that should distract from the task at hand, at any rate. She steps carefully so as to avoid the others.

pre:
Name: Soshi Masami		Rank: 2
Clan: Scorpion			Experience:	0/80
School:	Shosuro Infiltrator	Insight:	151

Earth: 2	Air : 3		Honor: 	2.0  (3.0)
				Glory: 	2  
Sta: 2		Ref: 3		Infamy:	0   		
Wil: 2		Awa: 4 		Status:	1  
				Taint: 	0  
Water: 2	Fire: 3

Str: 2		Agi: 3
Per: 2		Int: 3

Void: 2
			Wounds
Initiative: 		Healthy  (+ 0):
Armor: 			Nicked   (+ 0):
TN: 20+3		Grazed   (+ 0):
Reduction: 1		Hurt     (+ 0):
Healing Rate: 		Injured  (+ 0):
			Crippled (+ 0):
			Down     (+ 0):
			Out           :

Skill			Rank	Trait	Emphasis

Acting			2	Awa	Profession
Sincerity		3	Awa	Deceit
Courtier		3	Awa	Gossip		+3 IR
Artisan (Ikebana)	1	Awa
Calligraphy		1	Int	Cipher
Etiquitte		1	Awa
Investigation		3	Per			Search twice with no increased TN
Tea Ceremony		1	Void

Athletics		1	Str
Kyujutsu		1	Ref
Ninjitsu		1	Agi/Ref

Stealth 		2	Agi	Sneak
Forgery			2	Agi
Temptation		2	Awa
Sleight of Hand 	1	Agi
Craft (poison)  	3	???

Advantage				Points    
Perceived Honour 1			2
Silent					2

Disadvantage				Points
Dark Secret (Poisoned her husband)	5
Small					3

Techniques

The Path of Shadows
 - No honour lost for using low skills/ninjitsu weapons in service of the Scorpion clan
 - +2k0 to all stealth skill rolls

Strike from Darkness
 When an opponent is unaware of my presence:
  - Raises are not limited by my Void
  - Roll additional dice equal to school rank on the attack roll
 OR
 If an opponent suffers a condition:
  - Add half school rank to the attack roll

Weapon		Attack	Damage	Notes

Outfit:
Ashigaru , Sturdy Black Clothing, Daisho, Bow, Traveling Pack, 5 koku

neongrey fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Not for the first time, Masami finds herself grateful for the practicality of her selection of an opaque veil of dark brown silk as a traveling mask. The dust of the road has yet to enter her mouth, and now it well obscures the depth of her frown at the Kaiu's boorishness. Or was this how the Crab conducted themselves within their own clan? That was nearly as distasteful. Nor was it fit to conduct official Imperial business with the same flippancy as one would an internal clan matter, even if that last was the case.

Masami allows Hayuma to take the lead on this; better if she is not the one to be performing damage control, and better still to go as unremarked as possible. She grants the Otomo a glance of acknowledgement, then turns her attention to the commander to await the explanation.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"A brief inspection now has the sound of wisdom to me, Hiruma-san," says Masami quietly, making a delicate gesture with one hand. "I will gladly accept your generous offer of a guide. After that there should be no need to take you from your other duties. Your diligence is a worthy example."

In truth, she hopes the more impromptu nature of the inspection will prove most fruitful. Tomorrow, all would be more prepared to be scrutinized.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami nods in brief agreement with Natsumi then returns her attention to Tarou. "The performances go well, I trust? When will the next be performed? I should enjoy taking it in, if we have the opportunity. Do you know what they are planning to perform?" Their choice of performance material would provide a keen insight as to the attitudes running through the camp. To one properly observant, such as herself, she could use such to observe and assess the loyalty of the camp as a whole in one fell swoop.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

A smile crosses Masami's lips behind the veil. "Ah, I see," she says, not allowing the amusement into her voice. It was not terribly different from games of her own childhood; here in this place, it would have much the same result in fostering internal loyalty. If things were as they should be here, that could be very good. On the other hand, if there were seeds of dissent being sown here, that would only give it fertile ground to grow. The nezumi is a curiosity as well, but the Otomo had that matter in hand, and so Masami leaves off of that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"I will trust you are in good hands with Kaiu-san," says Masami with a fluid nod in his direction. "I have an interest in the theatre myself, but I suspect that Kaiu-san's experience is a bit more relevant in these circumstances. For the rest of us, I think it will be better to keep moving, while spontenaiety remains on our side."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"I would be wary of making too drastic a change in that manner," Masami notes, gesturing with one hand. "Greater cohesion as a whole is good-- but if we force them to violate the ties that sustain them, they will only resent those orders. And by extension the source of those orders. Ideally, we would wish to make them want to work in more mixed groups. The question that remains is how."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"I would say it wiser, yes," says Masami. She pauses a moment, then elaborates, "The sort of cameraderie we wish to see cannot come from simply, say, forcing them to share a lunch together. I believe your thought of mixed drills, Mayumi-san, is a good start; it will not be difficult for them to see the logic in that, but jumbling social seating I think will only provoke annoyance at best. A common cause is best to create unity, of course, but if simply being here is not enough for that..."

Masami cocks her head just so, then says. "Well, perhaps that is a part of it. The wall here is quiet; it seems there is much time of idleness. Tell me, do any of you know if the postings here are permanent, or if there is a rotation with deeper outposts?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sometime after it's reasonable to expect everyone to be asleep, I'd like to sneak out and take a discreet look around-- not looking for anything particular, just a quick once-over to see if everything's as it should be. Probably out for about half an hour tops. If anything looks untoward I'll head back immediately.

Stealth is 5k3 with a sneak emphasis, and investigation 3k2.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"This seems like quite an obvious matter," Masami says, her voice a placid mask to cover over her irritation at not having caught so much a glimpse of this last night. "Examine the body if you must, but if the killer has fled we should not delay in finding her. Are any horses missing? That will complicate matters if it is so."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"How odd," says Masami, frowning behind her veil and bending to look at what might have killed the unfortunate Hida. "This seems too subtle for the nature of the conflict between her and Sayako-san, at least from the glimpse we had. Still, she must have some involvement, else she'd not have fled."

I will also take a crack at Investigation, at 3k2. As well, I'll try and think of if this matches what I know of any poisons, but I don't know what stat that takes. Craft (poison) skill is at 2 though.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami paces around the scene, frown even deeper behind her veil. She asks, "Without intention of casting aspersions upon her character, did she have any lovers here? Or anyone whose attention she sought?" She pauses, then asks, "Or was anyone attempting to attract her attention in such manner?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Well, even if it is possible it should not be the first thing we look to. A mundane explanation is less likely to agitate the people here. I will not rule it out, but let us look to people first." Consequently, she accompanies Hayami and Ginzo to the barracks.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Best to talk with them, then," says Masami, tapping her fingers against the wall idly. She scans the room thoughtfully, but just shakes her head a little to herself. "Please do have them sent for."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"By all means, yes," says Masami, going about the room and lifting odds and ends a bit fruitlessly. She shakes her head to herself as she mostly finds herself looking under things Ginzo already did. She doesn't expect to find anything that Ginzo can't, far more familiar with the environs as he is. But a second set of eyes is often valuable.

Eh, investigation 3k2 fwiw.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Presented with something more in her field of purview, Masami turns to the new arrivals. "Who were her friends?" the Scorpion asks. "And please, tell me more of these complaints. Were there any in particular that stand out to your mind? Do you know any more of her dispute with the unfortunate deceased?" She has more, many more questions she can think to ask, but best to start at the beginning.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami taps a finger to her cheek, rippling her veil. "Before we go, I wish a better portrait of Hida-san, and while I realize you would not have had a great deal of contact, what you do know may be of value. Why is it that you disliked her? I notice there is little enough intermingling between the clans here... was it duty that placed the two of them near enough for this grudge to arise?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"I think I begin to see the state of things, at least." Masami says, then makes a fluid bow to the Kitsu and Akodo in turn. "You have done the empire a service this day, and unless the others have any further business for you, we shall not hold you from your duties any longer."

With that, Masami turns to the others, saying, "I will consult with Sayako-san's associates."

neongrey fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 8, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami makes her way up unobtrusively to the soaking Matsu. Not sneaking, really, but calling no deliberate attention to her presence. She moves slowly enough to try to catch a hint of the conversation before she gets there, and clears her throat at the first natural pause she catches. "Pardon my intrusion," she says, a shade formally. "I have a matter of some importance to discuss with one of your clanmen, and I've been told I might find some assistance with finding them here."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami makes a slightly calming gesture at the Matsu, saying, "Be at ease, Matsu-san. No one is in trouble, and it should stay that way if this matter can be conducted swiftly and discreetly." It's not strictly true, but finding Sayako happened to be entirely instrumental to finding out if it was true at all. Better if he didn't know that. "I am looking for Matsu Sayako. She has not reported for her duties and her daisho remains in her quarters. I fear something ill may have befallen her."

I too will also spend my XP... Will take Sincerity 2+3 and Investigation 2+3. Gonna use that sincerity at 6k3 with a deceit emphasis to pass off my concern for Sayako as genuine, and that Investigation 5k2 to see if he's on the level..

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

The Matsu's abortive statement slides into place in Masami's mind, filling a gap most neatly. She allows the look of understanding to reach her eyes and gives him a fluid nod. With the knowledge in place, she hardly finds the summons a surprise at all-- which only makes it stand more urgently in her mind. Sayako-san is probably dead, comes the next thought.

"I believe you on all counts, Matsu-san," says Masami fluidly. "You've quite elucidated something that was troubling me about this situation. Send word to me later if you feel there's something further you should impart, but I fear I must be excused. Hopefully it is not too late for her."

Masami murmurs her goodbyes then turns to the runner, saying, "Let us be off then, with as much haste as we can." But as she follows along him, her mind has already moved on to the final question: Who was Hida Yoshimi's current lover?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"She is alive?" Masami does not bother to disguise her surprise and relief. "I feared otherwise, when the word came. Well, this matter is nearly settled then-- whoever did this to Matsu-san is Hida-san's killer. Even if Matsu-san did not see her, I suspect she will know her identity. I think it may be best to be delicate when we raise the issue of Hida-san's passing, by the by. I doubt she knows Hida-san is dead."

She follows behind Koichi without further explanation, and as her eyes adjust to the dim light, she speaks quietly, "Sayako-san? Can you tell me what happened?"

neongrey fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 11, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Not exactly," says Masami. Which isn't really true; if nothing else, the opium and seditious speech were trouble. But both of those were side concerns at best, at the moment. She pauses, then says, "Well, I regret that I must be so direct about this; this is no way to receive this sort of news. But time is of the essence in order to find the one responsible for this."

Still, Masami takes a moment to find the correct words. "It may be that you did not know your attacker-- but she, or he, I suppose, most certainly knew about you. And that knowledge was enough for them to murder Hida Yoshimi. Is that enough for you to know who was responsible? I do not wish to-- air private matters needlessly."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami hesitates, then reaches into her sleeve for a delicately-embroidered handkerchief. She offers it to Sayako, then asks, "Who else knew about the opium? Whoever did this must have."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Well, she'd misread the situation a little bit, but no one else had to know that. The trick, of course, was to always act as though you knew exactly what you were talking about. "Not terribly well-known, I think," says Masami. "Some others of your family, at least one of your neighbours, but those who do know do not seem inclined to share without need. Did Yoshimi-san mention any prior lovers, or anyone else who had sought her attentions?"

Probably not, Masami mused to herself. Yoshimi's room would likely yield part of it, and for the other-- "Ah. Forgive the indelicacy but I assume the two of you were together last night? Where did you...?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami briefly pinches the bridge of her nose, sending her veil rippling. Well, Sayako had her sympathies for what little good it would do her. Not that sympathy excused what this all had caused, not in the slightest. These Crabs, these Lions hardly knew how to carry out a secret affair without ruining everything. Disguising it with open sedition? Pah. She hadn't been so clumsy even in her most youthful explorations. Still, Sayako would do what would need to be done, and that was punishment enough given the situation. Well, if she was lucky this matter would be settled quickly enough that she would hear when it was done.

"You've been a great deal of assistance," says Masami. Let her take at least that much comfort with her. Masami leaves Sayako with that, leaving the handkerchief behind with her, as if forgotten. She does not speak of it lest it be thought of as a gift, but she has others, and a sympathetic gesture to the soon-to-be-deceased costs nothing.

There were benefits to being thought of as soft-hearted, too.

I'll head to Yoshimi's quarters first, yeah.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami wastes no time in going through the room, looking for anything of value to the investigation.

Investigation 5k2. Specifically I am looking for another pillow book or diary of some sort.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"When all what happened?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

These people have terrible taste in women, comes the unbidden thought as Masami scuttles out of the way. Swordplay was not remotely her forte, and in these cramped conditions she'd be just as likely to injure herself as the murderer.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"I will certainly take that into account when I make my report," says Masami judiciously. Though in truth, Koichi's words do nothing but make Masami feel all the less favourable toward him. Truly, she couldn't be bothered to care about the nocturnal activities of the samurai stationed here-- only a fool would expect no relationships to arise in this environment, but this nonsense was only a herald of more incidents like this to come. To treat it as an isolated incident would only lead to more of them.

Eh, yeah, let's salt that with some sincerity also. 6k3 with a deceit specialization, since I am trying to give the impression that I'll speak well of his handling of the situation.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami's report mostly notes that it seems more acceptable here to be disloyal to the Empire than to clan, citing how Sayako's false foul temper was directed at the Empire. While the sentiments weren't particularly accepted, neither were they squelched. She notes a suspicion that these misplaced priorities are only going to lead to further such incidents; when one sweeps events like this under the rug in the name of one's clan, one is less able to take steps that could prevent them in the future.

Her ultimate evaluation is that while there's no meaningful evidence of disloyalty here, she hasn't seen any signs of notable loyalty either.

She also adds a few things in cipher.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami produces her new papers, which she has thoroughly reviewed in advance, in addition to rumpling just a bit to make them look as though they've been through this process several times already. "Soshi Masami," she says, then inquires politely, "have you been quite busy this fine morning?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami runs with it, and gives a slightly vapid giggle, salting her next with enough truth to smoothe things out. "I'm sorry, I didn't notice anyone else coming up, and I don't know what sort of traffic you're getting through here." She hesitates, then muses aloud, "But, wouldn't the one-legged man be the least busy...? How could he manage such a feat at all...? Well, perhaps he would be officiating, and need to judge the winners..."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

A blink and another light giggle. "Oh, well, I suppose that would do it. Thank you for enlightening me, Hida-san. I would have spent the whole rest of the day wondering, otherwise."

Okay, that one might even have been true.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Oh, I don't expect her to die at all! She's absolutely the best!" says Masami brightly, then peers a bit toward the Hida as if the other part of that just registered with her. "Well, there must be some court-types you like, yes? I'd just be heartbroken if the first person I met here didn't like me. That's a terrible omen, you know."

With a name like Soshi, in this place, the only way to not be obviously an agent of the Inquisition was to be so stupid that nobody could possibly believe you were a spy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Once in her room, Masami faintly relaxes, shaking her head a few times like that would shake the stupid out. Still, not much to be done for that. She unpacks some of her things, including her second and third-best masks (the best, of course, stays at home rather than travel with her). Veils were perfectly fine for traveling in, but they just wouldn't do at court.

She changes into one of the better kimonos she's packed, tsking at the creases brought on by long storage. All of these would need to be properly cleaned. Only then does she slide her veil off and exchange it for the mask.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami lifts a hand to the mouth of her mask, making a tittering laugh at Mayumi's declaration. She steps a bit back from her, and looks about the room, looking for a likely group to sidle up into. She files the odd state of things that had this particular Hida conducting matters this day into the back of her mind. Something to investigate later.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami makes for the nearest of those sympathetic glances. "Oh my!" she says in a breathy voice. "It can't really be as bad as all that, can it? It really is very impressive here!"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Oh, dear," says Masami, giving an exaggerated sigh. "It really is a crime to ruin a beautiful tragedy. To lower a thing out of the stories to that... well, perhaps some more time is all that is needed?" She pauses, then makes a fluid bow of introduction, then continues nattering along in the manner of someone who just talks too much. "Soshi Masami, by the by. To hear of such lovers' sorrows so soon is quite the shame, I'd rather thought to keep an eye out for eligible young men-- ah, for my young niece, of course! She's rather getting to that age where some choice names would be such a help to her mother!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami makes a few nods to the Ikoma, saying, "Well, hopefully things will turn up after hearing such ill things to start! Ah, but this is fun!"

She pauses, then declares brightly,

"Sweet infrastructure!
Have you tried going without?
My poor feet still burn!"

• Locked thread